Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Station closes after landslide!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Oh please, let's just enjoy the good weather.

So you can’t verify what you said then?
    Normal nonsense posting from you.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So you can’t verify what you said then?
    Normal nonsense posting from you.

unfortunately there are never going to be links with CIE stating that they are running down lines to closure. we would all love them to exist but they don't.
    however the evidence is there even if it's not written down. especially in terms of limerick to waterford and ballybroaphy to limerick via nenagh.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

unfortunately there are never going to be links with CIE stating that they are running down lines to closure. we would all love them to exist but they don't.
    however the evidence is there even if it's not written down. especially in terms of limerick to waterford and ballybroaphy to limerick via nenagh.

What evidence. Provide please.
    Just because the anti CIE brigade around here says it’s so doesn’t actually make it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It would save a lot of money if the line was closed south of Kilkenny especially since CIE plan to close Limerick Junction/Waterford as soon as they can.

Whatever about the Limerick Junction line I see absolutely no need to close the line south of Kilkenny. The passenger numbers are decent, timetable while not overly generous is pretty decent service level too. The last thing the M7/N7 is more traffic into Dublin taken off the rail line

What evidence. Provide please.
    Just because the anti CIE brigade around here says it’s so doesn’t actually make it so.

in the case of limerick to waterford, the line mostly renewed but no speed improvements in return. refusal to increase the services to something useful and meaningful.
    ballybroaphy to limerick, refusal to do what needs to be done to increase speeds and part of the line hasn't actually been renewed i believe.
    if the service provision on both lines in itself isn't evidence enough then i'm not sure what else could be apart from an admission from the hourses mouth and that isn't going to happen.

road_high wrote: »
    Whatever about the Limerick Junction line I see absolutely no need to close the line south of Kilkenny. The passenger numbers are decent, timetable while not overly generous is pretty decent service level too. The last thing the M7/N7 is more traffic into Dublin taken off the rail line

he's being sarcastic. he's not actually suggesting the waterford dublin line should be closed south of kilkenny.

• Advertisement

in the case of limerick to waterford, the line mostly renewed but no speed improvements in return. refusal to increase the services to something useful and meaningful.
    ballybroaphy to limerick, refusal to do what needs to be done to increase speeds and part of the line hasn't actually been renewed i believe.
    if the service provision on both lines in itself isn't evidence enough then i'm not sure what else could be apart from an admission from the hourses mouth and that isn't going to happen.

he's being sarcastic. he's not actually suggesting the waterford dublin line should be closed south of kilkenny.

That’s just your opinion which may be right or wrong. It’s not a fact until you can provide evidence of same.
    I actually forgot who I was talking to here, as if a straight answer was in your bed you’d sleep on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I used that Waterford to Limerick Junction train for the first time last week. Can honestly say that they should link the service from LJ to Limerick with this and just use one train. Otherwise it just made so much operational effort at LJ to remove the Waterford train from the platform, bring in the Limerick train and then send that out and bring the Waterford train back in to then go back to Waterford.

The loading wasn't great for a four car unit but it would of easily filled the two car that was on the Limerick line. Perhaps running the two car up and down all day between Waterford and Limerick is a better use of resources?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I used that Waterford to Limerick Junction train for the first time last week. Can honestly say that they should link the service from LJ to Limerick with this and just use one train. Otherwise it just made so much operational effort at LJ to remove the Waterford train from the platform, bring in the Limerick train and then send that out and bring the Waterford train back in to then go back to Waterford.

The loading wasn't great for a four car unit but it would of easily filled the two car that was on the Limerick line. Perhaps running the two car up and down all day between Waterford and Limerick is a better use of resources?

Its only moved off the platform until works on new Cork platform are completed.

I do agree if the train went to Limerick it would be much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Its only moved off the platform until works on new Cork platform are completed.

I do agree if the train went to Limerick it would be much better.

That's good news, couldn't believe how much faffing around there was.

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    That's good news, couldn't believe how much faffing around there was.

Once its a 3 car its usually not moved, anything bigger and its moved.

Passengers on the 13.15 Heuston/Waterford have been suffering for years because they dropped the 4 car to 3 avoid such movements at Limerick J.

• Advertisement

https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/11/14/funding-waterford-train-station/#

Government have confirmed they will fund the relocation of the station. NTA said they wouldn't fund it a few weeks ago as did the Dep of Transport. Final planning due to be submitted by end of month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

plunkett-station.jpg

Fine offices in the old station - will they be providing replacements at the new station or will it just be a bus shelter and bare platform?

plunkett-station.jpg

Fine offices in the old station - will they be providing replacements at the new station or will it just be a bus shelter and bare platform?

The offices are staying.

The new station will be far better than the current one for passengers...

The offices are staying.

The new station will be far better than the current one for passengers...

That wouldn't be difficult! First CIE closed the Comeragh Bar in the red brick building adjacent to the new building; then the buffet which was always a kip and was worse after it was privatised; then they moved the buses over to the station and filled in more of the platforms at the west end of the station; then the buses moved out again; then the Rosslare line was closed; then the cliff fell down......What are the existing offices used for?

That wouldn't be difficult! First CIE closed the Comeragh Bar in the red brick building adjacent to the new building; then the buffet which was always a kip and was worse after it was privatised; then they moved the buses over to the station and filled in more of the platforms at the west end of the station; then the buses moved out again; then the Rosslare line was closed; then the cliff fell down......What are the existing offices used for?

I think its mostly Bus Éireann these days.

I think its mostly Bus Éireann these days.

Top floor is Bus Éireann. First floor is Irish Rail District office for the Waterford area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If a privatised buffet closed it was because it wasn't making money. Are you volunteering to subvent it personally?

Likely applied to the bar also

The justification for public money for public transport and facilities does not extend to bars and buffets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Waterford station was always a dump and in the wrong place. Glad to see this happen.

L1011 wrote: »
    If a privatised buffet closed it was because it wasn't making money. Are you volunteering to subvent it personally?

Likely applied to the bar also

The justification for public money for public transport and facilities does not extend to bars and buffets

You can't see a pattern - and the company that presided over it?

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Waterford station was always a dump and in the wrong place. Glad to see this happen.

It only became a dump in CIE days. As for it's location - what would you have done given the the main lines serving Waterford were on the north side of the river? As it is, the new station is still going to be on the north side.

• Advertisement

You can't see a pattern - and the company that presided over it?

No, because CIE Property have very little to do with how their tenants perform. All bars have been run by tenants for decades (except for Restaurant na Mara which is only a decade or so) for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

No, because CIE Property have very little to do with how their tenants perform. All bars have been run by tenants for decades (except for Restaurant na Mara which is only a decade or so) for starters.

Don't you mean Brasserie Na Mara. :)

There was also the Footplate in Heuston and Cork station restaurant (name escapes me), all three were run by Network Catering which was a division of IE.

Its suprising I remembered two of the three words!

The one in Cork at least was long gone before Network Catering ceased to be I thought?

An Irish Times article from 2003 has The Footplate (and BnM) as being "owned" by Tom Mythen; who was the manager of Network Catering so it was still there then.

The end result still is that CIE got out of catering entirely, getting rid of both Network Catering and the "Dubel" company they had for the Enterprise - and CIE Property will willingly rent space out to private operators; even building new spaces where required. If nobody wants to put a bar or restaurant in Waterford it isn't CIEs problem - and is a pretty good indication that the old ones weren't viable.

Whether they should have gone down the route the Dutch and Danes have where the rail operator runs all the shops under franchise (rake of brands for NS Stations, 7/11 for DSB) is a different debate but that would at best have the same viability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Waterford station only handles about 500 passengers per day- no way in hell it be viable. A small kiosk with tea coffee and snacks would be about the height of the demand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jelutong

Where does the 500 passengers a day figure come from?

jelutong wrote: »
    Where does the 500 passengers a day figure come from?

presumably the rail census that is only done 1 day per year.

presumably the rail census that is only done 1 day per year.

The chances that the loading is higher every other day except the census day is nil. Occasional burst loads are not important for capacity planning

They also won't improve the viability of a food or drink outlet

The pattern I was referring to was the overall pattern of decline that is visible wherever the dead hand of CIE is involved. The moving about of the bus services for instance.

In my lifetime the lines to New Ross, Rosslare, Mallow and latterly Ballinacourty have closed; most of the freight traffic has disappeared and the station is like the Marie Celeste and I am intrigued as to what on earth to the occupants of the district offices do, and how many of them are there?

The pattern I was referring to was the overall pattern of decline that is visible wherever the dead hand of CIE is involved. The moving about of the bus services for instance.

In my lifetime the lines to New Ross, Rosslare, Mallow and latterly Ballinacourty have closed; most of the freight traffic has disappeared and the station is like the Marie Celeste and I am intrigued as to what on earth to the occupants of the district offices do, and how many of them are there?

District manager, 2 admin staff and a safety liason.
    There are other staff located there but they are IMO staff (DTE’s)

Edit: technically the line to Rosslare ain’t closed, yet.

• Advertisement

Edit: technically the line to Rosslare ain’t closed, yet.

it's as good as in fairness.

Advertisement