Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our new rescue dog won't eat

• 01-01-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Our new rescue dog, Banjo, won't eat. She is a very friendly terrier cross - she comes from a very loving family who had her (2 years old) and her mother (six years old).
    They had to get rid of one of their dogs because they were worrying their neighbour's sheep. So we gladly took Banjo in.

We have had her for a week now, so she is still settling in, and I am sure she is missing her mother. My main concern, though, is that I leave food and water for her, and it goes mainly untouched. Once we go outside, she slurps away at puddles for water, but won't drink the water I give her.

This morning, I fed her dog food from my hand, and she ate it, but won't eat much from the bowl. (She will eat some, at night, when I'm not around).

I presume there is some leader of the pack issue going on in her head. How do I get her to be comfortable eating from the bowl, as I dish out her food, as other dogs do?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

No need to worry about leader of the pack issues, as they don't exist:
    www.dogwelfarecampaign.org

Are you feeding her the same food she was on before you got her?
    Is it in the same format? eg did the owners used to soak it, or feed something else with it?
    Is the bowl you're using similar to what she's used to?
    How is her form, does she seem happy otherwise?
    She doesn't know life without her mum, this rehoming could have been very hard on her. I'd be inclined to tempt her with something tasty, perhaps chicken with some veg, slowly introducing whatever she was on before, or something healthier if she had been on rubbish food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

A week isn't that long for her to settle in, just be patient and follow the above advice.
    If she seems otherwise happy I wouldn't worry to much, try to keep to a routine, so she knows what's happening and it will help.

Advertisement