Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landslide closes train station

Options
  • 01-01-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/waterford-train-station-landslide-1245324-Jan2014/

This landslide apparently happened yesterday evening. There's a couple of blurry pictures attached to the article, but I can't really make out if the debris is actually covering the tracks. They say there's bus transfers to Kilkenny and the Waterford station will be closed for at least a day.

IE twitter seems to suggest they not only have to clear the debris, but have to make sure there isn't a danger of more landslides, in response to someone suggesting they just have people board a train a little further down the track.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just posted this on Rail Transport sub forum (yes there is one!), while its clearly been very wet and windy period you'd have to wonder about the kind of monitoring that is done of that whole cliff face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Jaysus, half of mount misery falls on top of the train station and hardly a decent photo around.
    Anybody got some?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Looking at "First for Waterford" WLR FM whose "team brings you the latest Waterford news" you wouldn't think anything had happened. Not even on their twitter. Though they do let us know this morning that racing is going ahead in Tramore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

There's good pictures if you're a member of "Waterford gang" on facecloth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I thought that whole cliff was as solid as a rock...no pun intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

does this mean theres more rockface for peopleto paint county coulers on
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Additional photos (click to enlarge);
    6m3ws7_thumb.jpg

4ZAPGP_thumb.jpg

Waterford+landslide1.jpg

20140101_112609-2-630x472.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looking at that you'd have to wonder about the rest of it now its been exposed and with more violent weather on and off for at least a couple more weeks if the computer models can be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Its a shame that rock with the crappy flag on it is still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

shockwave wrote: »
    Its a shame that rock with the crappy flag on it is still there.

with a name like that, do it again! and take it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Could they not have used the railway line on the other side of the platform thus avoiding the damaged bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I think the possibility of further debris falling is more the issue than the actual damage. They are going to have to reinforce the cliff face first I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

road_high wrote: »
    Could they not have used the railway line on the other side of the platform thus avoiding the damaged bit?

They can, but it's a bay platform and the longer trains don't fit. Also, the damaged line is 'through' to Belview port, where the DFDS liners run from.

And, some of the signalling rods and cables have been damaged, making it difficult to work any traffic.

Apparently they're going to start using the bay platform on Monday, using hand signalling if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They can, but it's a bay platform and the longer trains don't fit. Also, the damaged line is 'through' to Belview port, where the DFDS liners run from.

And, some of the signalling rods and cables have been damaged, making it difficult to work any traffic.

Apparently they're going to start using the bay platform on Monday, using hand signalling if necessary.

One other little problem pic number 24
    http://www.rte.ie/news/galleries/2014/0103/495778-floods/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Has anyone got any of the bus transfers yet? Do they leave at the scheduled time that the train is meant to, or a bit earlier because it takes longer to get to Kilkenny by bus?

From twitter

ffff_zpsdbc43f43.png

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

Might sound funny, but I was down with the missus at Grattan Quay for a few minutes around 6ish, and I saw the area of the landslide since they had a light there (don't recall if there was always a light there or it's just due to the clear-up they have to do) and we both thought it actually looked nice the way it was lit up - kind of like a nice natural feature of the landscape.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The lights are there to facilitate the clean up, they are working round the clock to get the train station reopened again.

I agree with you thou, it does actually enhance the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

thought the same thing about the lights aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Has the bus transfer been quicker than the time it takes the train?

road_high wrote: »
    Has the bus transfer been quicker than the time it takes the train?

Its roughly the same time if the 5 minute stop in KK is factored and the few minutes required when some services cross in Ballyhale. Thomastwon-Waterford is the worst section of the track for low speeds. Services are delayed no more than 10 mins departing KK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Train station was flooded at high tide today.
    Landslide still covering the tracks. I'd say it'll be a fair few weeks until its back to normal.

services resume form 14.50 today from the bay platform but a log while before they use the main platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Aestivalis wrote: »
    Train station was flooded at high tide today.
    Landslide still covering the tracks. I'd say it'll be a fair few weeks until its back to normal.

if rocks still covering tracks, that is ridiculous. Doesnt take much for a digger to get in there to clear it. Get the first stage done FFS CIE.

Max Powers wrote: »
    if rocks still covering tracks, that is ridiculous. Doesnt take much for a digger to get in there to clear it. Get the first stage done FFS CIE.

Of course we have the expert in dealing with such a problem. It's not just about clearing the rocks, they would of knocked more done to secure the area before clearing....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Of course we have the expert in dealing with such a problem. It's not just about clearing the rocks, they would of knocked more done to secure the area before clearing....

alright sarky, thats why i said get the first stage done i.e clear rocks and secure.

Max Powers wrote: »
    alright sarky, thats why i said get the first stage done i.e clear rocks and secure.

That's all they have being doing but for the whole area and they would of secured before clearing as the chances are that they added rocks to the pile. Combine that with the station flooded on and off over the last couple of days not exactly easy to do the work. It will take time for it to all be completed and anyway its currently open again.

• Advertisement

What causes the tracks to be flooded up to platform level, remember this happened a few years ago, it is just the runoff of rain from the mountain and if so why is there not sufficient drainage out to the river.

To answer my own question I guess if the river is high then any drainage will be backed up too.

So whats the solution...

Advertisement