Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landslide closes train station

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

danjo-xx wrote: »
    What causes the tracks to be flooded up to platform level, remember this happened a few years ago, it is just the runoff of rain from the mountain and if so why is there not sufficient drainage out to the river.

To answer my own question I guess if the river is high then any drainage will be backed up too.

So whats the solution...

Its the high tide form the river which is very high at the minute. Certain wind direction causes a lot more flooding than normal and isn't helped that the station as a slight slope. It will only flood the platforms but the whole yard which is at river level mostly doesn't see a drop of flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

What causes the tracks to be flooded up to platform level, remember this happened a few years ago, it is just the runoff of rain from the mountain and if so why is there not sufficient drainage out to the river.

To answer my own question I guess if the river is high then any drainage will be backed up too.

So whats the solution...

I was only saying this to the lads in the pub the other day and suffice it to say we're not happy. We decided we're going over to have a look and sort it out ourselves then we're going to have a look at this "economy" we've been hearing so much about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Is there no pumping system in place for emergencies

Is there no pumping system in place for emergencies

No sure but it usually clears as soon as it comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    No sure but it usually clears as soon as it comes.

Men like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Is it back open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Yes, with trains into the bay platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

From the Railway forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89186531&postcount=61
    - 9 sets of points to be lifted
    - complete closure of platforms 3,4 & 6
    - all signalling between central and west cabins to be removed
    - 1 line between station and west cabin plain track only no points
    - 1 line between Waterford Yard and Belview no points or signals this section is to become a siding

Basically the Rosslare line is dead and the station will move to Sallypark goods yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Didn't see that coming, Waterford really will be a city without a station.

Its a good location for the station though, there is a building there already.

Surly there will be a proper bus service to town now though?

Well they'll have to be really.

I hope everyone is ready to agitate to preserve the signal box as that's a classic piece of railway infrastructure.

Warterford_SBox.jpg

EDIT - we'll see of course

295980.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

mike65 wrote: »
    From the Railway forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89186531&postcount=61

Basically the Rosslare line is dead and the station will move to Sallypark goods yard.

Station not moving to sallypark, no money for such a move. 16million plus to rectify the rock so it'll be platform 5 for passenger services and one track to the port via platform 3 and 4.

16 million?! On the rock face.

mike65 wrote: »
    16 million?! On the rock face.

An x-ray of sorts was carried out and there are quiet large fissures in the rock, it would cost that much to step it back, similar to the job done further up the way when building dual carriage way. So, we are left with a situation where the least amount of money possible will be spent, which means removal of said points and operations from platform 5 only.

An x-ray of sorts was carried out and there are quiet large fissures in the rock, it would cost that much to step it back, similar to the job done further up the way when building dual carriage way. So, we are left with a situation where the least amount of money possible will be spent, which means removal of said points and operations from platform 5 only.

Will they add a little bit to P5 to take a 6 piece set, no ideal having to change in Kilkenny.

16 million will have to be found at some point, weather its now or years away it will have to be done as it could happen again.

Will they add a little bit to P5 to take a 6 piece set, no ideal having to change in Kilkenny.

16 million will have to be found at some point, weather its now or years away it will have to be done as it could happen again.

Yes, the talk is that platform5 will he lenghtened as it currently only takes almost 5 coaches, hence the isolation of the rear two coaches leaving kilkenny as you pointed out. I honestly dont see the rock being done for many a year. As im sure you know, Irish Rail simply doesnt have the money for such a project. Imo it would be preferable to move to sallypark in the long run. Ample space, no flooding, safe exiting with the existing trafficlights and run a shuttle bus.

Yes, the talk is that platform5 will he lenghtened as it currently only takes almost 5 coaches, hence the isolation of the rear two coaches leaving kilkenny as you pointed out. I honestly dont see the rock being done for many a year. As im sure you know, Irish Rail simply doesnt have the money for such a project. Imo it would be preferable to move to sallypark in the long run. Ample space, no flooding, safe exiting with the existing trafficlights and run a shuttle bus.

I agree about Sallypark but there is nothing stopping them building a platform there for when flooding happens, once the Mark 3's are scrapped they have lots of room. A shuttle bus would be needed but IE would never fund it and I can't see it being viable alone. It's more less 50/50 in terms of foot and car passengers using the service.

As for it being done, once the Railway Accident investigation Unit publish the report we will see what happens. Would be surprised if they don't recommend its done as the constant flooding and line stone rock never mix together. The Government would probably from the money if the RAIU said it must be done. IE could never afford it they are losing more than that per year.

I agree about Sallypark but there is nothing stopping them building a platform there for when flooding happens, once the Mark 3's are scrapped they have lots of room. A shuttle bus would be needed but IE would never fund it and I can't see it being viable alone. It's more less 50/50 in terms of foot and car passengers using the service.

As for it being done, once the Railway Accident investigation Unit publish the report we will see what happens. Would be surprised if they don't recommend its done as the constant flooding and line stone rock never mix together. The Government would probably from the money if the RAIU said it must be done. IE could never afford it they are losing more than that per year.

Yes, it certainly looks like it will only be done with funding outside IE. I hope it gets done but the way its gearing up, we'll have one passenger line and one freight line and from experience I can say that at once a measure is taken it is hardly ever reversed. On a side note, sad to see the mk3 coaches in sh1te up the yard...great coaches.

Yes, it certainly looks like it will only be done with funding outside IE. I hope it gets done but the way its gearing up, we'll have one passenger line and one freight line and from experience I can say that at once a measure is taken it is hardly ever reversed. On a side note, sad to see the mk3 coaches in sh1te up the yard...great coaches.

It is a shame to see them go but nobody can deny the 22's are much better all round from a passenger point of view and even operating.

Agree that it may never be done but hopefully the RAIU report holds some weight as I can't see it being done either otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

On a side note, sad to see the mk3 coaches in sh1te up the yard...great coaches.

A ****ing disgrace

Moderator posted this on Commuting and Transport. Barry Kenny is Irish Rail's PR person.
    Originally Posted by Barry Kenny
    As you know, we've had temporary working arrangements in place since the start of January at Waterford while the cliff face works were continuing.

The cliff works are taking longer than anticipated so we have made the decision to remove a couple of point ends next week to make the temporary arrangements more efficient. This is not irreversible and does not indicate a longer term plan.

As we've said in public already, there are decisions ahead in the shorter term regarding possible operation of all signalling in the station area from Waterford West cabin, and in the longer term about the station as a whole given the increasing frequency of flood disruption over this and recent winters.

However, the shorter term issues are still under consideration, and there has been no detailed analysis of the longer term issues at this point (and needless to say, no funding to address longer term issues either). So as of now, all that is happening is ongoing cliff face works and minor points rationalisation to facilitate the temporary working arrangements in the station area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement