Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 protest

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

it used to be 1.20 on the m50 then government ttook it over its now 3.60

Factually incorrect: The toll (for a car) ranges from 2.10 to 3.10 depending on how you choose to pay.

But then again, why should you let something like the truth get in the way when you're bashing the authorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Jacknory

event wrote: »
    build an entire new bridge (where??) to alleviate traffic problems in one town and every taxpayer in the state should pay? Are ye for real?

Here's another idea, lets build an additional lane on every road in Louth that only drogheda people can use, therefore alleviating any delays they may experience on the roads

Drogheda has been in need of a bridge to alleviate port traffic and traffic crossing the boyne for decades. Ship Street to Merchants Quay could be suitable and would create a eastern bypass of the town. Why shouldn't this come from tax as it the case with all infrastructure besides PPP? And yes, I am for real.

No building needed as the lane is already there and it would be for the people of the entire country and not just for those in Louth.....similar to all capital infrastructure projects in this country.

Again, motorways are designed for long journeys. They're not intended for short hops around a small town.

Once rules of the motorway are observed it doesn't matter how long the trip is beit a short hop or a lengthly journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Defend this!!!

the Toll is now unmanned after 10pm

if i dont have exact change i have to pay €2 and i dont get the 10c change im owed!

if i dont have any change i cant pay!

i can pay via CC over the intercom , i would imagine this is an unsecured transmission! anyone could listen in and get my card details!

more importantly , why hasnt anyone raised the issue of a lost job ?
    the booth should be manned at all times for the above reasons , no excuse to put 1 and possible 2 people out of a job.

so go on

defend this greedy company and give me an explanation

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Defend this!!!

the Toll is now unmanned after 10pm

if i dont have exact change i have to pay €2 and i dont get the 10c change im owed!

if i dont have any change i cant pay!

i can pay via CC over the intercom , i would imagine this is an unsecured transmission! anyone could listen in and get my card details!

more importantly , why hasnt anyone raised the issue of a lost job ?
    the booth should be manned at all times for the above reasons , no excuse to put 1 and possible 2 people out of a job.

so go on

defend this greedy company and give me an explanation

Thats good to know. What happens if, as you said, you don't have any change? Its not as if you can reverse back down the slip road

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't think many "defend" the company, outside of saying that they are a company focused on profits, so of course will do everything they can to make money. Is that shocking? Welcome to a capitalist country.

Meanwhile, if you're able to have a car and be using the motorway, is 10c really that large an amount to be getting so angry about? You know going on the motorway that you'll be charged; your argument wouldn't hold up in other services ("Well, I went into a restaurant, but I didn't have cash on me!"). If you don't have the cash, don't go onto the motorway.

And yeah, one lost job is bad....but the same people protesting the toll are quite happy to ignore that getting rid of them altogether would also get rid of said jobs, and more, in a more permanent way, so won't be too worried about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

I don't think many "defend" the company, outside of saying that they are a company focused on profits, so of course will do everything they can to make money. Is that shocking? Welcome to a capitalist country.
    [/I

in your world then should be just allow them to do what they like with no complaint? its not shocking at all , im voicing my opinion to spread awareness.

Meanwhile, if you're able to have a car and be using the motorway, is 10c really that large an amount to be getting so angry about? You know going on the motorway that you'll be charged; your argument wouldn't hold up in other services ("Well, I went into a restaurant, but I didn't have cash on me!"). If you don't have the cash, don't go onto the motorway.

love this :) the agent said the same thing , sure its only 10c , we wont be posting that to you!
    my reply was that as i was visiting the toll later that day i would only be paying €1.80 as its only 10c.

i do have the cash! the toll is €1.90 and not €2 , i am owed change or else advertise that fact.

And yeah, one lost job is bad....but the same people protesting the toll are quite happy to ignore that getting rid of them altogether would also get rid of said jobs, and more, in a more permanent way, so won't be too worried about that.

ridiculous statement and a give away.
    was there public debate on the job losses? were alternatives explored?have figures been produced to support the job losses?

Had to laugh at this......I take it that you wouldn't have a problem paying 5+% more than the advertised price to other service providers!!!!

hawkwind23 wrote: »

in your world then should be just allow them to do what they like with no complaint? its not shocking at all , im voicing my opinion to spread awareness.

No, complain all you want. And if you don't like the service, don't use it. Not saying don't be annoyed, but you're not forced to support the company. If that's their policy now, and now that you know it, the choice is with YOU to avail of the service or not.
    love this the agent said the same thing , sure its only 10c , we wont be posting that to you!
    my reply was that as i was visiting the toll later that day i would only be paying €1.80 as its only 10c.

i do have the cash! the toll is €1.90 and not €2 , i am owed change or else advertise that fact.

I'm fair certain that as you approach the "Coin baskets", there's signs warning that no change is given. Not sure if there's added warnings at night mind.
    ridiculous statement and a give away.
    was there public debate on the job losses? were alternatives explored?have figures been produced to support the job losses?

When the topic was discussed before >>HERE<<, it was proposed to those supporting the abolition of the toll that such a proposal would cost people jobs (as well as an extensive debate on the pros and cons). Don't have figures or the likes; just basic logic that if you decide to get rid of the booths, then so to do you get rid of the jobs those booths provide. The Councillor dodged the question constantly and was dismissive. But then I guess admiting his "campaign" would cause few a few job losses wasn't part of the PR program.
    Jacknory wrote: »
    Had to laugh at this......I take it that you wouldn't have a problem paying 5+% more than the advertised price to other service providers!!!!

If it's advertised that change isn't given, and its such a big deal, then I'll make sure I have the right change. If the service provided is an important one, then so be it. I'd also point out that if I eat out (to keep that example going), I'd often tip at least 5% anyway :P

Listen, I'm sorry if you feel stung cause you're down 10c. But it seems really over the top to be getting upset over such a tiny, tiny amount, and you know from now on to have exact change on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Jacknory wrote: »

Not if it was only 10 cent each of time! I have often thrown €2 in the basket just for the convenience of not going to a manned booth if I had no change. It's only 10 cent. I would actually find the tolls handier if it was €2 instead of 1.90 as keeping change is a hassle.

• Advertisement

Not if it was only 10 cent each of time! I have often thrown €2 in the basket just for the convenience of not going to a manned booth if I had no change. It's only 10 cent. I would actually find the tolls handier if it was €2 instead of 1.90 as keeping change is a hassle.

Basic advertising; say it's €1.90, knowing that most (myself included) will throw in the 2 and not bat an eyelid, but think 1.90 looks better. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I wonder how many looking to remove the slip road tolls will now use the fact that they are doing away with a job at night with unmanned barriers as a reason to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Has this not always been unmanned late at night? I can recall seeing cones on the booth lane when I've approached late in the past. I have a tag so never go to the booths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

It used to be open free of charge after hours a few years ago.

Advertisement