Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Wifenbike

Options
  • 01-01-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Gents and Ladyfolk of 410,

One of my projects for 2014 (along with getting PhD funding or a new job/ a project to increase income for my current employer/fixing my own bike,joining a club, doing some sportives....it's going to be a busy year) is to build a cheap first bike for my Lady wife in an effort to make her fall in love with cycling, if only because we live in a great part of the city to be a cyclist...there are of course selfish reasons but I increasingly find myself unmotivated by those, and she did find some genuine joy in learning to cycle in 2013.

As money is very much an object, it will be a cheap and cheerful project built with the aim of maximum ride quality enjoyment for puttering around quiet parts of the city and parks but suitable for commuting.

My current model is to build something akin to a Flat Bar passhunter (no idea where I'll get those slightly swept back handlebars but I will.) because it's elegant but capable looking and the flat bars are less intimidating for her.

Not sure what to do about gearing, she's still not comfortable with shifting gears a lot and depending on what sort of frame I get it seems unlikely that downtube shifters would be popular.

Plan A was to try and find an unwanted steel frame from friends or family, Plan B was to source one on adverts, as I haven't got money set aside yet I have not yet activated Plan C which is to put up a wanted ad here...Plan D is just to buy something from Rothar or Square wheel but that automatically jumps up my budget and doesn't save much labour since I'd feel inclined to disassemble and reassemble myself.

My current plan is:
    1. Steel road/touring frame with fairly relaxed geometry ideally for clearance for 28mm tyres. EDIT: and full mudguards!
    2. Cheap road wheels
    3. Road calipers (it's bad enough suffering Cantis on my beater without having to tune a second set).
    4. Slightly swept back flat bars.
    5. Brooks Saddle (if budget permits)
    6. Drivetrain - this is the biggest mystery for me, whether to get something with decent condition vintage drivetrain intact build something with second hand bits or just do a s/s build.

The theory is that if the bike is more upright and relaxing Mrs RS will be inclined to worry less and enjoy more, but at the same time be able to zip around the place when she gets the urge.

Another reason budget is important is that Mrs RS still has no appreciation for the value of a good bicycle and spending more than a couple of hundred euros on a bike for her would cause major ructions.

The bike needs to be reasonably light for the reasons above as weight is the one thing she truly appreciates, so while I think steel is the way to go for looks and comfort I'm hoping to get a pretty decent quality steel frame.

Can anyone suggest where to start for tracking down a frame, handlebars and actions I can take to make the bike look better (preferably without forking out for a respray)...aiming for lots of leather and chrome in my head (Mrs. RS is a class act after all despite her poor choice of spouse) but 2nd hand bikes from Rothar etc tend to look dull and dirty.

Is single speed suitable for a beginner cyclist living in the centre of the city or will she suffer too much on what hills there are?

So much to think of. Aiming to have the bike ready for the Irish "Summer"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

What size frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

nak wrote: »
    What size frame?

Have to suss out her inside leg but she's around 6ft and is just about able to use my 58cm roadbike and L frame Giant.

I'm thinking 56cm will probably be the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Have to suss out her inside leg.

Careful now.

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Careful now.

Down with that sort of thing.

We're already married Father

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

A bit of time on donedeal and some legwork would yield better cheaper results, get her gears at least, or put her off for life.

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »
    A bit of time on donedeal and some legwork would yield better cheaper results, get her gears at least, or put her off for life.
    If you read my post again you'll find that Rothar is my last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Single speed with something like 42 X18

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd go SS with whatever gear inches Dublin bikes have in top gear. If it's not overgeared short inclines will be no problem, although swept back bars do make getting out of the saddle awkward in my experience.

Lots of advantages like being able to fit a chain case and stick a 3sp hub gear on in future if necessary.

I wonder whether Holyboy ever got that kickback hub project built? I'd really like to try that. Gear changes with no shifters - magic!

Lumen wrote: »
    I'd go SS with whatever gear inches Dublin bikes have in top gear. If it's not overgeared short inclines will be no problem, although swept back bars do make getting out of the saddle awkward in my experience.

Lots of advantages like being able to fit a chain case and stick a 3sp hub gear on in future if necessary.

I wonder whether Holyboy ever got that kickback hub project built? I'd really like to try that. Gear changes with no shifters - magic!

The bars on the flat bar pass hunter have a gentle curve rather than the full on sweep of Dutch type bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Build a steel single speed bike on a tiny budget for the wife, so she can fall in love with cycling? You're either completely mad or totally bonkers. :eek:

My choice: get a used road bike or a decent entry-level bike like a b'twin

If you are building one, get a frame that fits and ignore the material, put on some gears, put on drop bars - doesn't necessarily mean it won't be upright and the additional hand positions can provide relief and therefore comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

If you read my post again you'll find that Rothar is my last resort.

I didn't say anything about rohar. You could try out, half a dozen bikes bought cheap and if not suitable resold,from donedeal to see what she likes with half the effort, and sooner.

kuro_man wrote: »
    Build a steel single speed bike on a tiny budget for the wife, so she can fall in love with cycling? You're either completely mad or totally bonkers. :eek:

My choice: get a used road bike or a decent entry-level bike like a b'twin

If you are building one, get a frame that fits and ignore the material, put on some gears, put on drop bars - doesn't necessarily mean it won't be upright and the additional hand positions can provide relief and therefore comfort.

Bit of a leap between small and tiny budget. Also while b'twin are great bikes for the money and I'd definitely get her a Triban or City Sport if she developed an inclination towards sports/commuting this is based on making something personal and special.

I'm a huge drops fan but to her they're still intimidating, something I hope to be able to introduce later.

And shockingly enough I've been haunting adverts and done deal for months waiting for something suitable to build on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hey OP... I'm considering selling my medium sized Tri-cross.

Alu frame, carbon fork but takes 32mm tyres with full guards, has a rack and has a very relaxed position as well as a triple chainset.

I'm still weighing up the pros and cons here but let me know if you're interested.

BTW, if you're considering buying a flat bar bike the Network 5 from decathalon looks like a serious bike for the money.
    Perfect commuter/dogsbody.

Seaneh wrote: »
    BTW, if you're considering buying a flat bar bike the Network 5 from decathalon looks like a serious bike for the money.
    Perfect commuter/dogsbody.

Yeah I know the one, if she turns around to me and says "I want to cycle to work" I'll probably make the trip up to Belfast for one.

The Tricross is a lot of bike...what are you thinking of asking for it?

Yeah I know the one, if she turns around to me and says "I want to cycle to work" I'll probably make the trip up to Belfast for one.

The Tricross is a lot of bike...what are you thinking of asking for it?

I paid €360 for it a year ago, it's been looked after and I'd throw in a set of 24mm conti GP's. as well.

If I got €320 I'd be happy I reckon.

Might be a tad small for the missus actually but with the tri-comp headset you could make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The Decathlon bike and the Tricross are economical and worthy bicycles, but somewhat charmless and utilitarian.

I think it's worth separating the rational from the emotional. "Significant other" bike projects are about more than providing functional transport. The ultimate is a bicycle so personal that it's resale value is nil.

This is my favourite.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73754924&postcount=4095

Lumen wrote: »
    The Decathlon bike and the Tricross are economical and worthy bicycles, but somewhat charmless and utilitarian.

I think it's worth separating the rational from the emotional. "Significant other" bike projects are about more than providing functional transport. The ultimate is a bicycle so personal that it's resale value is nil.

This is my favourite.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73754924&postcount=4095

Now that (inspite of the animal print) is a thing of beauty, and exactly what I'm getting at - not that look specifically, but something very personal.

Edit: Seaneh, a friend of mine is in the market for a CX bike that's not a CX bike and is the same height as the Mrs so I'll try and send him your way.

Update: Since my new roadframe is eating up my budget I'm going to re-purpose my old road frame, my beater is nearly kaput, so I'll be re-using the chain tensioner and conversion kit and I have two options for levers.

So my shopping list now:

1. Single speed chainset.
    2. BB
    3. Calipers
    4. Seatpost.
    5. Saddle
    6. Bars.
    7. Wheels.

I've seen some pretty cheap s/s chainsets online but have no idea what's what, obviously I'm stuck living on the budget side of things but I'd like to do my best to avoid complete rubbish, and there are aesthetic choices, i.e. if I get a silver c/set I'd like to get matching seatpost, bars etc and go with brown leather (effect) for the saddle and bars.

Calipers I'm happy enough with getting my hands on for cheap and the BB shouldn't cause dramas, the big non cosmetic concern apart from the c/set are the wheels.

AFAIR I can get a set from the likes of Rothar for about €35 each, as it's a city bike I'll probably go for double walled unless someone one here can give reasons otherwise, (The thought of subjecting any road wheel to that system of canyons at the bottom of Sth Georges st...).

Edit: I should add that I was looking at the ultra cheap Shimano Nexus C/Sets...although I'm severely tempted by some of the beauties in the €100 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

Can I ask why you've opted to go single speed? I realise the city is mostly flat but it would probably give her more of a reason to fall in love with cycling if there were even a couple of gears to make the hills in the park etc easier. I built this 5 speed for my girlfriend a couple of years ago and she'd be the first to admit it changed her life (she used to cycle one of those big heavy lady bikes)

siofra-bike.jpg?t=1335366100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'd agree with Happytramp, a few gearing options would make it a bit more relaxing. If you're trying to build on a budget it gives a wider range of bikes to choose from too. If you're going single speed how are you going to choose what gearing to give her?

How would I go about putting a five speed set up on a presumably 10spd hub?

I've been aiming towards s/s for two reasons:
    1. As a complete beginner Mrs Rollingscone finds the gearing too much to think about.
    2. I have already been successful in setting up a single speed and have the parts to do so.

I've been aiming towards s/s for two reasons:
    1. As a complete beginner Mrs Rollingscone finds the gearing too much to think about.
    2. I have already been successful in setting up a single speed and have the parts to do so.

Fair point. Gearing is only issue so.

Any input on cranksets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

I would have thought most single speeds were built with a rear wheel with a freewheel hub. (the same as use a five speed) and not the more modern 8/9/10sp freehubs. Although I'm first to admit I don't know a whole lot about building single speeds.

happytramp wrote: »
    I would have thought most single speeds were built with a rear wheel with a freewheel hub. (the same as use a five speed) and not the more modern 8/9/10sp freehubs. Although I'm first to admit I don't know a whole lot about building single speeds.

Pretty sure that's it. I have six speed Regina America block here that could be tested on it.

Cranks? Cheaper the better? You using ⅛ or 3/32?

I don't know... I feel like I should use a 1/8th but I don't have the chain tool for it and the sad necessity for a chain tensioner means it will always look crude anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Better off with 1/8 on a single speed I think.

Just ordered a Miche xpress track chainset, BB and a 1 1/8 chain.

Have the conversion kit, chain tensioner, and a selection of rear sprockets that came with the kit originally. Need to talk to Cramcycle about a set of levers of his I still have in my panniers, so next priorities are Calipers, bars, stem and cables.

Tempted to put drops on since I could just un-convert commutourer and use the bars and stem from that....decisions decisions.

• Advertisement

Trying to find a cheap brake set - would it be awful if I got long drop calipers?

The most I've ever fit on the frame in it's previous incarnation as my road bike were Cruds and I doubt that there's clearance for anything more even with long drop calipers.

Advertisement