Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Wifenbike

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Would you consider forgoing the build for an off the shelf Dutchie, like the Altec Oma ? Great value at under 400.

I was thinking about building something for the missus but after a spate of DIY tasks and Ikea/ Argos assemblies that haven't collapsed yet, there might be limited kudos in building her a bike from scratch ( not to mention her indifference to that kind of thing ). Besides, I think the dutch style city bikes are a positive addition to the city cycling landscape. Or to put in another way, women look hot on them :pac:

aztec-oma-n3-1383390111.jpg&w=200&h=150&q=80

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

SHe detests the feel and handling of Dublin Bikes...so if I was going off the shelf I'd just get her a flat bar hybrid.

At least with this I can always use it to replace my own S/S beater if she doesn't take to it. And if she wants a flat bar hybrid I can convert my commuter back to risers and trigger shifters/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Yeah. SS would be ideal really. I'm just being lazy.

Tested out the prototype today - have the Miche 46t c/set 1 1/8 chain and an 18T cog w. a converter kit on my Aksiums for test purposes. It went like a dream but I won't really have a feel for it until I've tested it with flat bars, as it is it feels super aggressive which obviously isn't ideal but on the other hand Mrs RS has shown early symptoms of Weight Weenyism so I think the overall lightness of the frame will be a plus.

Quick update on this. Budget constraints have made this slow progress but today I fitted the single speed conversion kit to the Miche team wheels and set up the brakes (fceked up the inner cable on the back brake so today's test ride was front brakes only).

Went for inverted trekking bars with an old set of road levers Cramcycle gave me in the end.

Forgot to take a pic before I left my secret lab but will put one up as soon as I've finished. Have a brown Madison Breeze ('couldn't get a ladle in Brown) on order with the LBS and leather effect bar tape and koolstop pads from Swimcyclerun.

So it should finally be ready next week.

• Advertisement

20140818_105540.jpg

20140818_105619.jpg

Nearly there. Remaining steps today:
    1. Fit leather effect bar tape (awaiting delivery from SCS)
    2. Fit Koolstop pads (As above)
    3. Fit rubber covers for barrel adjuster mounts.
    4. Adjust Raceblades.

5. Hope that she likes it! Hopefully I'll have a pic of the final product by this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I hope your a better mechanic than photographer!

I might have the pre bicycle presentation shakes!

No sign of the post man....Swim Cycle Run sent the stuff on Thursday...

A new less shakey pic while I'm waiting for this package to arrive.
    20140818_204311.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

The saddle height doesn't look to bad at all here :) Wicked bars, man!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife got a bike on the cycle to work scheme at the weekend. and ended up shouting at some joggers in the phoenix park who were on the cycle path (who shouted at her first, i hasten to add), on her second trip out on the bike.
    i was so proud of her.

Bike was supposed to be ready for today as it's Mrs RS' s last day in her current job.

No parcel from SwimCycleRun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Bike was supposed to be ready for today as it's Mrs RS' s last day in her current job.

No parcel from SwimCycleRun :(

Have you contacted scr to check alls well?? Highly unlike Brian not to get the gear out the next day at least.

seany15 wrote: »
    Have you contacted scr to check alls well?? Highly unlike Brian not to get the gear out the next day at least.

Yeah to be fair they said they'd check the postal tracking and get back to me.

SCS sent me on the postal tracking for the parcel last night. For some reason An Post sent the package on a grand tour of the country.

It arrived today. Pics to follow.

Jobs oxo.

20140821_164743.jpg

Unfortunately the weather has discouraged a test ride. I'm not feeling brave enough to invoke rule #5

So after the qualified success of Wifenbike I (Above soon to be for sale) I have deemed it time for Wifenbike II in an effort to get Mrs RS up from 4-5 lessons/leisure rides a year to 8-10.

Have procured the Mixte bike below and plan on building it up to something like a more relaxed Porteur (probably not with a full Porteur rack).

IMG-20160303-WA0000_edit_1457010097479.jpeg

There's a lot of surface rust but the fame seems structurally sound, the hubs are buzzing a bit but the BB and spokes seem fine and the gears (6spd) & brakes are functioning well.

Initial plan of action is:
    1. Scrub away surface rust with tinfoil
    2. Use nail varnish to repair paint & then clearcoat.
    3. Face my terror of servicing wheel hubs in order to determine if salvageable.
    4. Decide and take action on whether to retain current gears, switch to singlespeed or upgrade to hub gears.
    5.. Replace cockpit with something more relaxed.
    5. Switch saddle to current Ladle clone (from Wifenbike I) or upgrade to a Brooks if the rest of the bike is looking spiffy enough.
    6. Rest of finishing kit & accessories, i.e. bar tape, ends, racks (I am 100% confident that having to carry a heavy lock & accessories would put Mrs RS off using a bike so it'll need to carry), mudguards, possibly chainguard.

Apart from the standard bike mech stuff I'll be youtube/googling my way through the process so any input as to how to do it on the down-low within a reasonable budget appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Ah here! After all that effort. Have you considered Wife II as an alternative to Wifenbike II ;)

Edit - it might be hard to get the right size though.

After careful consideration I decided to phase the project to avoid creating a very expensive ornament.

Phase one will be new bars (these are placeholders) a single chain ring at the front and probably a bar end shifter for the rear six.

20160331_225432.jpg

BB is worse than I thought, will probably run the wheels rough for a while due to lack of time.

Have done a de-rusting /paint patching and clearcoating exercise for now.

Eventual plan would be a professional repaint.

• Advertisement

Thanks to a bunch of outsourcing to Dara in BeeCycles and a last minute rescue by OleRodrigo with a new stem we have finally reached tranche 1.

Immediate response from Mrs Rollingscone was "Did you not get it painted yet?"

Powder coating and some racks would be project complete but not competing to that until it gets ridden.

20160611_221607.jpg

20160611_221644_1.jpg

Advertisement