Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your goals for 2014?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Christ, everyone in here has enormous bench ability compared to me :o

Goals for 2014

Goals
    Squat 140kg
    Bench 70kg
    OHP 70kg
    Row 90KG
    Deadlift 140KGCurrent
    Squat 100KG
    Bench 50kg
    OHP 35kg
    Row 70Kg
    Deadlift 105KG

The OHP is pretty unrealistic and I'd be very happy with 50kg.

Lastly, get my BW up to 80kg. Currently sitting around 71.5kg/72kg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Given the relative short amount of time you've been lifting, you've done really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Given the relative short amount of time you've been lifting, you've done really well!

aye, youre numbers (ratio wise) are on par with mine and ive been lifting for around the same time.

stop worrying about details and look at big picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Its not a competition :pac: No one really cares about any numbers except their own.

Your goal of a bodyweight bench looks grand, a bodyweight ohp might be pushing it though.

a bodyweight ohp might be pushing it though.

I like the idea of it but I know I haven't a hope. Maybe 80-85% BW, if I keep at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

Beginner**

Is every one's goal i.e 150kg on the squat or 110kg on the bench based on their one rep max?

My goal is to be able to do my body weight in both, but for 5 reps over 5 sets.

80kg and 80kg respectively, I'm at 75% at the moment and making steady progress.

I'm also on a never ending and painfully slow quest to master the wide grip pull up, moving at a snails pace but moving nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Snako wrote: »
    Beginner**

Is every one's goal i.e 150kg on the squat or 110kg on the bench based on their one rep max?

My goal is to be able to do my body weight in both, but for 5 reps over 5 sets.

80kg and 80kg respectively, I'm at 75% at the moment and making steady progress.

I'm also on a never ending and painfully slow quest to master the wide grip pull up, moving at a snails pace but moving nonetheless.

Buy a band and do band assisted pull ups, do weighted negatives too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

This ^^^^

I stopped doing pull ups during the year as I had tennis elbow and pull ups p1ssed it off big time.

I'm using a band at the minute to get the form back up to scratch.

Was using the cables and bar in the gym for a good while, but then switched to doing sets of just three reps on the wide, usually do about 5 sets.

The result has been that I've basically just got better at the three, cleaner and a better range of movement, but if I do say four, or maybe five on a good day, the rest of the sets are destroyed, and I can barely do one after.

I must have a go at the weighted negative reps, maybe at the end, last set or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A bit late to the party, but my goals are

Squat: 150kg
    Bench: 110kg
    Deadlift: 170kg
    BF%: 12%
    MMA: Fight on a pro card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just to start lifting and get my BF down to 10-12%! Joining a gym in Feb and starting the 5x5 program. I've gone over some of the lifts with my physio as I've doing rehab on an old leg injury and I've gotten up to 30kg on most lifts with good technique. Pretty weak compared to most people here but hey you gotta start somewhere right? Actually really looking forward to it, wish I got into lifting earlier!

.ak wrote: »
    Just to start lifting and get my BF down to 10-12%! Joining a gym in Feb and starting the 5x5 program. I've gone over some of the lifts with my physio as I've doing rehab on an old leg injury and I've gotten up to 30kg on most lifts with good technique. Pretty weak compared to most people here but hey you gotta start somewhere right? Actually really looking forward to it, wish I got into lifting earlier!

The 5x5 is great, good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭saucers82

I find it difficult to know my 1 rep max as I train alone and early morning!

I know I can do this:

(assuming bar weighs 20kg - no indication on it)

Current weight: 85kgs - 5ft 11

All 3 sets 8 to 10 reps:

Bench: 60kgs
    Squat: 90kgs
    Leg press machine: 140kgs
    Shoulder press db 27.5kg each arm
    Bicep Curl: 18kg each arm
    One arm db back rows: 30kg each arm

I want to lift heavier but crapping it with no spotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

saucers82 wrote: »
    I find it difficult to know my 1 rep max as I train alone and early morning!

I know I can do this:

(assuming bar weighs 20kg - no indication on it)

Current weight: 85kgs - 5ft 11

All 3 sets 8 to 10 reps:

Bench: 60kgs
    Squat: 90kgs
    Leg press machine: 140kgs
    Shoulder press db 27.5kg each arm
    Bicep Curl: 18kg each arm
    One arm db back rows: 30kg each arm

I want to lift heavier but crapping it with no spotter.

put the info in here and it will estimate a 1 rep max for you. http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

you only really need a spotter for bench, and you can lift quite close to a maximum by not using lock nuts, that way if you cant complete you just tip the wieght off the bar and crawl out from under it.

Happy new year to one and all.

Goals at the minute are:

Squat: 130kg
    Bench: 100kg
    Deadlift: 200kg

To be achieved at a weight of 82kg.

I want to amend the above.

Squat: 130kg
    Bench: 90kg
    Deadlift: 200kg
    OHP: 65kg

100 on the bench is unrealistic at the minute. I won't jump from a current 70-75 to 100 by the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Started Starting Strength last week, so let's see how we do...

All these are 3X5's
    Goals
    Squat 120kg
    Bench 100kg (my old PB from years back)
    OHP 80kg
    Deadlift 140kg
    Weight 82kg
    Pullups 3X10 with an aim to muscle-ups

Current
    Squat 65kg
    Bench 50kg
    OHP 40kg
    Deadlift 75kg
    Weight 89kg
    Pullups 5-3-3

Only at SS a week, so the current levels aren't really killing me, but I'm trying to pace my self adding on the weight, adding 5-10kg per lift per session I'll plateau soon enough I reckon. Maybe it's noob optimism, maybe those goals are completely unrealistic, but hopefully I'll be able to make some good progress.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Its not a competition :pac: No one really cares about any numbers except their own.

Your goal of a bodyweight bench looks grand, a bodyweight ohp might be pushing it though.

Yea this one I reassessed in my log. 50kg would be a much more achievable target to aim for.
    I like the idea of it but I know I haven't a hope. Maybe 80-85% BW, if I keep at it.

Something like this and I'd be happy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

All these are 3X5's
    Goals
    Squat 120kg
    OHP 80kg
    Deadlift 140kg
    Weight 82kg

Current
    Squat 65kg
    Bench 50kg
    OHP 40kg
    Deadlift 75kg
    Weight 89kg
    Pullups 5-3-3

Only at SS a week, so the current levels aren't really killing me, but I'm trying to pace my self adding on the weight, adding 5-10kg per lift per session I'll plateau soon enough I reckon. Maybe it's noob optimism, maybe those goals are completely unrealistic, but hopefully I'll be able to make some good progress.

I dont mean to sound negative but those goals are very optimistic, perhaps overly so. You're looking to basically double all of your lifts. You say that 100kg bench was your max years ago and now you're looking to do 3 sets of 5 reps with it by the end of the year? I'm not saying you definitely won't get there but in a year I think you might be expecting too much.

Also I can't imagine that adding 5-10kg per session will last much more than a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

SeaDaily wrote: »
    I dont mean to sound negative but those goals are very optimistic, perhaps overly so. You're looking to basically double all of your lifts. You say that 100kg bench was your max years ago and now you're looking to do 3 sets of 5 reps with it by the end of the year? I'm not saying you definitely won't get there but in a year I think you might be expecting too much.

Also I can't imagine that adding 5-10kg per session will last much more than a couple of weeks.

No they're not (well maybe the OHP is a little). The others are easily attainable at his body weight with a year of solid training IMO.

Yes, 5-10kg increases per session wouldn't last long but people can get months of linear progression using 2.5kg increases as long as their recovery is sorted out.

SeaDaily wrote: »

It was probably a lack of experience to be thinking I'd be hitting these numbers. Straight away I'm finding the OHP to be a pain (stalled on a set at 45kg yesterday)! Think I'm going to scale the increments down on that one to maybe 2.5kg per session. For the other lifts, I can do my current numbers for bench and DL (50 kg and 80 kg yesterday) without any real effort. Squats are starting to slow, but hopefully I'll be able to keep adding weight to them before I start to plateau.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It was probably a lack of experience to be thinking I'd be hitting these numbers. Straight away I'm finding the OHP to be a pain (stalled on a set at 45kg yesterday)! Think I'm going to scale the increments down on that one to maybe 2.5kg per session. For the other lifts, I can do my current numbers for bench and DL (50 kg and 80 kg yesterday) without any real effort. Squats are starting to slow, but hopefully I'll be able to keep adding weight to them before I start to plateau.

Look at them more in terms of bodyweight. This might be more what you are looking for

1.5 x squat
    1.75/2 x deadlift
    1.2/1.25 x press
    .7/.8 ohp

All these are 3X5's
    Goals
    Squat 120kg
    OHP 80kg
    Deadlift 140kg
    Weight 82kg

Current at
    Squat 65kg
    Bench 50kg
    OHP 40kg
    Deadlift 75kg
    Weight 89kg
    Pullups 5-3-3

Hey guys, so I suppose it is time to drag up this thread to see how we all got on! Here's how I did:

When on Starting Strength:
    Goals - Jan 2014
    Squat 120kg
    OHP 80kg LMAO what was I thinking!!!??
    Deadlift 140kg
    Weight 82kg

These were my SS numbers around June (again, 3X5's):
    June 2014
    Squat 110kg
    Bench 70kg
    OHP 45kg
    Deadlift 130kg
    Weight 87kg
    Pullups - didn't really bother with them when running SS

So clearly, my upper body lifts were definitely lacking. It got quite frustrating, as in the case of OHP, for example, I could fail the lift on a Wednesday with 5,5,3, but then wouldn't get to do them again until the following Monday. With that in mind, I switched for a programme with more volume, and I decided to go more aesthetic focused programme, over the strength programme.

After looking at a few different programmes I decided on the allpros programme. Basically, it is comprised of: Squat, OHP, rows, bench, stiff leg deadlift (I miss the old fashioned ones!), curls, and calf raises (which I didn't really bother with, I have the benefit of fat-child calves). I have recently added shrugs, and pullups, along with hamstring curls (after some knee issues presented themselves early Autumn). The programme goes on lifting 3 days per week, heavy day, a medium day (90%) and light day (80%). Week 1 is 2X8 of all lifts, week 2 is 2X9 and so on to 2X12 in week 5. After which you add 10% weight and go back to week 1 if you complete the sets on week 5. Otherwise you redo the 5 week progression with the same weight.

Current numbers on 2X12's as follows:
    Jan 2015
    Squat 100kg
    Bench 65kg
    OHP 47.5kg
    Stiff-leg Deadlift 70kg (I was initially ligting much heavier, maybe 90 kg, but wrecked my back, so dialled it back down
    Rows: 70kg
    Curls: 30kg
    Weight 87kg
    Pullups - 5,5,4

My own thoughts since switching is that I certainly enjoyed the higher volume workout. Going from doing, say, 3X5's of squats, bench and rows one day, to doing 7 or 8 different excercises at 2X12's, was a huge step. Obviously I couldn't lift as much, but the numbers have crept back up in the last 6 months. While it can be frustrating only adding weight to the bar every five weeks, the app I use to log my numbers displays the 1RM, so you can still see the 1RM creeping up every heavy day.

Also, since it was probably my first year giving lifting a proper go (though I'm sure a lot of you would be doing my set as warmups), I learned the hard way how important form is. The kick to the pride of having to take 20kg off the bar so I could squat properly with proper depth was humbling, but my knees don't hurt anymore, so it's not all bad!

Anyway, enough about me, how did the rest of us get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    HBBS: 170 (150 currently)
    Nope - 155kgs. I spent a portion of the year unable to hammer my squat due to injury so I can understand this one.
    Deadlift: 220 (200 currently)
    Yep - 230kgs. 15% in a year is pretty good going.
    Bench: 125 (112.5 currently)
    Nope - 120kgs. Hmm, this is my fault. I never gave this the attention it required at the points in the year where I had the opportunity to do so.
    Strict Press: 90 (80 currently)
    Nope - 84kgs. Currently trying a 10 week program but probably need to look into targeted assistance work to get this moving.
    500m Row: 1:17.9 (1:20.7)
    Nope - 1:20.1. Hope to get a little closer in a few weeks at the National Indoors but I way underestimated how far I'd already come on this.
    2k Row: 6:34.9 (6:54.2)
    Nope - 6:38.5. I don't mind this one tbh. Close and it's going to be hard to knock a huge amount more off it without a lot of specificity in my training.

Lots of work to do!
    I worked pretty hard. Over 200 training sessions in the calendar year. I'm not sure how much more is really practical.

1 / 6, but I'm not too disheartened by that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

lifting goals:
    any snatch PB and 90% consistency above 95% in all lifts

Got a 2kg pb. I was there with the consistency at the end of the year

+10 on clean and jerk.

4kg but I'm +9 clean and jerk separately

250 sinclair at the seniors.

Didn't lift, Had a serious dose of golfers elbow, I'm sitting at 238

front squat at an adult level!

125kg... so not really

Other stuff:
    80kg press
    erm, I stayed around 70kg, I didn't really train it
    110kg bench
    I think I benched about five times in 2014
    pullup+50kg
    Elbow Tendonitis!
    200kg deadlift
    I deadlifted less than I benched. I'm still a bit wary of pulling heavy but I figured out how to use my abs. got 180

Reasonably happy to be injury free at the end of the year. The elbow and wrist were a big worry but I managed to add 20kg to my squat while they recovered so not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor wrote: »
    A bit late to the party, but my goals are

Squat: 150kg
    Bench: 110kg
    Deadlift: 170kg
    BF%: 12%
    MMA: Fight on a pro card
    Squat: 145kg
    Bench: 105kg
    Dead lift: 185kg
    Bf:13% mid year
    MMA: Debut fight in June

Very happy with the year, 2/5 of the goals. But very close on the ones I missed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

2015 God willing.

Do calisthenics 30 mins every morning. 5 x a week.

Swim twice a week, 40 mins, work on lung capacity training.

Get much better at press ups, target is 300 without stopping. At present can do around 120.(ties in with callisthenics)

Work on Thai Boxing, and stand up fighting techniques, mainly street self defence stuff, practice more submission wrestling, especially take downs.

Cut out all junk. drink only once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cork 1980

Goals for 2015:

Bench: 57 kg (currently 40 kg for 3 reps)
    Squat: 100 kg (currently 85kg one rep max)
    Deadlift: 85 kg ( currently 75 keg one rep max)
    One un-assissted pull up

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

Started powerlifting 5 months ago.
    really enjoying it but im struggling at some of the lifts.
    Bodyweight is 80kgs
    goals for 2015:

Bench goal is 100kgs-currently 80kgs
    Squat goal is 190kgs-currently 155kgs x 4
    Deadlift Goal is 230kgs-currently 190kgs

really struggling with the feel of heavy weight at the top of squat. just not confident enough. But with the IPO nationals in April and Worlds end of year.
    I'm gonna try burst my goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

Get my Patellar Tendon sorted after 9 months of it!

Back Squat goal of 185
    Front Squat goal of 150
    Snatch 90
    C&J 120

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Squat 350kg
    Bench 200kg
    Pull 320kg

Advertisement