Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Played Scotch foursomes today, finished with gross 80 (+9). Never missed a fairway, hit 3 poor shots one of those a 4ft putt that I pulled. 2 stupid double bogey's really did the card..... playing partner said sorry. :rolleyes: Hard format to play but enjoyable all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Played K Club Smurfit course today. I learned a lesson yesterday at Portumna. Back was in agony after yesterday & by the time I got home, I had to crawl into the house. Fearing I would miss out on the ak Club, I took 3 strong prescription pain killers & a valium last night. Slept like a baby and woke up this morning with no pain.

Shot a net par 72. I really slowed down my swing & was striking the ball really good. Only one bad drive all day.

Absolutely gorgeous course. Front 9 better. Greens were fast & true. Back nine greens were atrocious. I have never in my life seen as many unrepaired pitch marks & actual holes in the greens. There was a sign on the 1st saying if you are seen by a green keeper repairing pitch marks, you get a free round. You'd certainly earn it! It was disgraceful. Some of the holes were 2" deep. Weirdess thing unless it was some disease.

Course was fairly soft also. Apart from that it was extremely enjoyable, perfect weather & stunning holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Played Moate on Saturday in a Scotch Foursomes qualifier and we finished on a respectable 67.5 (half our combined handicap being 16.5). I was putting very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Played 9 in Stackstown to try get over Saturdays game and hit the ball well. Putting is still killing me with 3 X 3 putts for 9 holes which lead to a 3 over 9 holes.

On a plus note my pitching has come on with some practice really feeling comfortable and the confidence is coming back which will allow me be more aggressive with my irons. My driving was strong but a tendancy to get caught a little inside which is leading to a bit of a pull hook but I catch it as soon as I play it so that is progress.

I am realising getting back into golf is both a slow process but also a frustrating one. I am not getting to put in the hours I want with the baby so happy out but my putter was brought straight to McGuirks yesterday for a fat grip as at this stage I am fit to start using the driver for putting.

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Played 9 in Stackstown to try get over Saturdays game and hit the ball well. Putting is still killing me with 3 X 3 putts for 9 holes which lead to a 3 over 9 holes.

On a plus note my pitching has come on with some practice really feeling comfortable and the confidence is coming back which will allow me be more aggressive with my irons. My driving was strong but a tendancy to get caught a little inside which is leading to a bit of a pull hook but I catch it as soon as I play it so that is progress.

I am realising getting back into golf is both a slow process but also a frustrating one. I am not getting to put in the hours I want with the baby so happy out but my putter was brought straight to McGuirks yesterday for a fat grip as at this stage I am fit to start using the driver for putting.

Would consider myself a decent putter but I played Stackstown a few weeks ago and found the greens almost impossible to read. Break looks left but is right & vice versa. Downhill putts look uphill, I think local knowledge is a must to play well on them greens.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

mafc wrote: »
    Would consider myself a decent putter but I played Stackstown a few weeks ago and found the greens almost impossible to read. Break look left but is right & vice versa. Downhill putts look uphill, I think local knowledge is a must to play well on them greens.:D

They are insane.. Apparently on 16 of the 18 holes it breaks towards the gate. The overall lie of the land is that way so when you see a slope looking the opposite way the overall lie still dominates which feels so wrong. It has me a broken man at this stage.

The long term members I played with on Sat where in stitches as my 6 ft putt traveled further away from when I started.

How they ever lose a home match in inter club is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

41 points for 17 holes on Saturday. Missed some putts for birdie too that lipped out. Gross of 78 for the 17 holes with a 17 handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

slingerz wrote: »
    41 points for 17 holes on Saturday. Missed some putts for birdie too that lipped out. Gross of 78 for the 17 holes with a 17 handicap

Which hole did you skip? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played in a 15 hole competition today and shot -2 for 15 holes for 35 points.

Really happy with this, I played some very solid golf and had 3 birdies and 1 bogey.

After playing awful at the weekend I decided i wasnt even going to pick up a golf club, so I just sat and thought about what i had done at the weekend, what I was doing wrong and how I could change it..... I'm not sure exactly what I thought of, but my swing was slightly different today and i CRUSHED it!

so so happy! :D:D:D:D !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

shane 007 wrote: »
    Played K Club Smurfit course today. I learned a lesson yesterday at Portumna. Back was in agony after yesterday & by the time I got home, I had to crawl into the house. Fearing I would miss out on the ak Club, I took 3 strong prescription pain killers & a valium last night. Slept like a baby and woke up this morning with no pain.

Shot a net par 72. I really slowed down my swing & was striking the ball really good. Only one bad drive all day.

Absolutely gorgeous course. Front 9 better. Greens were fast & true. Back nine greens were atrocious. I have never in my life seen as many unrepaired pitch marks & actual holes in the greens. There was a sign on the 1st saying if you are seen by a green keeper repairing pitch marks, you get a free round. You'd certainly earn it! It was disgraceful. Some of the holes were 2" deep. Weirdess thing unless it was some disease.

Course was fairly soft also. Apart from that it was extremely enjoyable, perfect weather & stunning holes.

Played there for the first time myself yesterday. It certainly is a lovely layout but the condition leaves a bit to be desired.
    it was wet.... Drainage was extremely poor but like the other Shane with the 77's said, the greens were Jeckle and Hyde. There must be no money coming into the place.

played ok. 3 scratches and 31 points off 6. Nice run of pars and birdies in the middle section before the heavens opened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

shaneon77 wrote: »
    Played there for the first time myself yesterday. It certainly is a lovely layout but the condition leaves a bit to be desired.
    it was wet.... Drainage was extremely poor but like the other Shane with the 77's said, the greens were Jeckle and Hyde. There must be no money coming into the place.

played ok. 3 scratches and 31 points off 6. Nice run of pars and birdies in the middle section before the heavens opened.

I always thought you two were the same person :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

m r c wrote: »
    I always thought you two were the same person :-)

Me too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

41pts again off 17hc
    82 strokes

17pts front 9 - horrible few holes
    24pts back 9 - way better +2 on the back 9

6 FIR
    7 GIR
    37 Putts - Dunno is that good or bad

1 Birdie
    7 Pars
    7 Bogeys
    3 DB
    0 other

Great turn around for another solid round :)

Went to the range while ago and holy f**k it was bad, big hook, ball starts off grand and then pulls left about 20-30yds
    Confidence now shaken - Putting it down to bad day at the office and the MATs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

91 strokes for 28 points off 12 around The Island today. First time playing so explains the so-so scores. Tough conditions but played well. Putting on such true greens caught me out. Links golf is a different beast but love it.

2 Pars
    12 Bogeys
    4 Doubles

FIR 87%
    GIR 28%
    Putts 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

91 strokes for 33 points off 17 around Portmarnock Links yesterday. Windy enough so explains the so-so approach shots. Tough conditions but played well. Putting on such true greens didn't catch me out, I putted great :) . Links golf is a different beast but love it.

1 Birdie
    5 Pars
    5 Bogeys
    5 Doubles
    2 Scratches

FIR 50%
    GIR 6%
    Putts 31

Was feeling lazy so just edited The Lawmans post.... had to include the birdie column though :) and the scratch :(

Still on a high after my putting display, probably would have scored more but my time was taken up teaching an 8 HC'er a few flops and holding his hand on the green ;)

Great company on the day with Fix and another boardsie (who remains anonymous as I don't know if he was "working" or not)

Love the changes in first few lines AJ.

Good shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

PAR - lol.

My maths is all tied up in coefficient of friction equations, but very surprised you only had 1 gir. Must have been on edge of 11. Anyway had 6 meself. But with the way that wind was and that course - it is very difficult to hit greens and hold them. Many of the green complexes are raised or have fast run offs.

Compliments were flying round for PAR - saying , he doesn't swing like a 17 handicap player , chip, strike the ball, play bunker shots or look like one.
    Anyway - watch this space.

Can't wait to play it again. A great course. In fact - it is probably the best links in Dublin. Close between it and The Island. If it was just 10 -15 minutes closer , I'd join.

Well done dude. Great score.

Only thing - he is gone a bit boring the way he doesn't go for everything ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

PARlance wrote: »
    91 strokes for 33 points off 17 around Portmarnock Links yesterday. Windy enough so explains the so-so approach shots. Tough conditions but played well. Putting on such true greens didn't catch me out, I putted great :) . Links golf is a different beast but love it.

1 Birdie
    5 Pars
    5 Bogeys
    5 Doubles
    2 Scratches

Great company on the day with Fix and another boardsie (who remains anonymous as I don't know if he was "working" or not)

LOL, that was work, well 30 points it felt like work. If you could have picked up 4 points from the 5 doubles and 2 scratches you woukd have won.

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

PAR - lol.

My maths is all tied up in coefficient of friction equations, but very surprised you only had 1 gir. Must have been on edge of 11. Anyway had 6 meself. But with the way that wind was and that course - it is very difficult to hit greens and hold them. Many of the green complexes are raised or have fast run offs.

Compliments were flying round for PAR - saying , he doesn't swing like a 17 handicap player , chip, strike the ball, play bunker shots or look like one.
    Anyway - watch this space.

Can't wait to play it again. A great course. In fact - it is probably the best links in Dublin. Close between it and The Island. If it was just 10 -15 minutes closer , I'd join.

Well done dude. Great score.

Only thing - he is gone a bit boring the way he doesn't go for everything ;)
    You guy's have the best jobs in the world :)))))

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Shot 96 with 29pts had 4 blanks. Got myself in some trouble again today. Only plus I was in the 2s had a birdie on 3rd hole. Need to visit a pro next wk im going backwards.

• Advertisement

79 today
    11 pars
    6 bogey's
    1 double
    32 putts (1 x 3 putt)
    FIR 60%
    GIR 39%

Happy considering the cold & windy conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

91 earlier in the week off 18. 7 pars and 5 bogies. 6 others. Playing in florida on treacherous lumpy greens on a very penalising course which saw poor greenside positionjng harshly punished (compounded by not having played since October meaning my touch was awful).

One triple bogey came from hitting a green in reg and rolling back into a bunker.

Fourth time out with new foregolf fitted shafts. Really felt the ball was flying off the face.

uberwolf wrote: »
    91 earlier in the week of 18. 7 pars and 5 bogies. 6 others. Playing in florida on treacherous lumpy greens on a very penalising course which saw poor greenside positionjng harshly punished (compounded by not having played since October meaning my touch was awful).

One triple bogey came from hitting a green in reg and rolling back into a bunker.

Fourth time out with new foregolf fitted shafts. Really felt the ball was flying off the face.
    As in Florida USA? Business or pleasure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

scubapro wrote: »
    As in Florida USA? Business or pleasure?

pleasure

uberwolf wrote: »
    pleasure

Nice! Enjoy the rest of the trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

31 points of 21 today in R+R in Dunboyne .

Had to get out really early this morning so I couldn't play my home course so this was a last resort just to get a game in .

Terrible start as I'd 2 points from first 5 holes but then parred the next 3 holes to get going .
    19 points on the back 9 sent me home a happy man .

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭clouter

16 pts this morning off 18HC. Good start- DB, Bogey, Bogey but scratched next 5holes- all in double figures!!!. Scored on 6 of back 9 holes so happy with that at least. Major weakness is my chipping and pitching. On 4 par 4s I was inside 100m after 2nd shot and walked away with scratches!! Off to pitching range during the week I doubt!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

38 pts this morning in the weekly stableford

19 pts on both 9's which at least is consistent. No scratches which did please me

A little disappointed that I left at least 4-5 pts out on the course due to some average putting. I had 4 3putts when on the green or just on the fringe. Each one was a longish putt but I normally can judge distance/speed a lot better. To be fair I was playing for only the second round with my new set of Rocketbladez irons picked up on adverts last week. Very nice clubs which I hoping will improve my game.

The course was very swampy in places and there was little or no run on any shots. Can't wait for the weather to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

102 around mount juliet on Tuesday and can i just say it was the wettest course i ever played! puddles everywhere and it wasn't even raining!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Friday - At home in Tuam
    36 points. Three doubles and three pars on the front and back. The rest bogeys.

Today - Athenry
    Five doubles and 4 bogeys on the front to turn with a depressing 13.
    Fought back well in the rain on the back with 5 bogeys and 4 pars for 22. Finished with two pars.
    In four greenside bunkers during the day.

No scratches or lost balls over the two days. Tees back and only placing on fairways. Off 18. 90 and 89 strokes. Irons feel so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

35 points in Adare this morning, playing with Keano, alxmorgan and dines09. 3 putted the last :(

Solid enough round overall though, 5 pars and a heap of putts that just shaved the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

V Par at home course. Went to take ball from cup on first hole & my back went. In agony.
    Stuck with it & my playing partner came through. Back loosened & we ended up 4 Up, so should qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Had 37 this morning in my first qualifier.

Personally I find it easier to score when not placing and it forces me to really hit down on the ball and improves my ball striking.
    When placing I find I just sweep the ball off a slightly teed up lie.

81 strokes for 39 points in open singles off 12 in Rathcore this morning. Played ok front 9 and much better back. Lipped out a hole in one on the 9th. Placing so non qualifying which is the only bummer. Just waiting to hear if in prizes.

1 Bird
    10 Pars
    4 Bogeys
    3 Doubles

FIR 87%
    GIR 50%
    Putts 32

Hope my coach is happy with improved GIR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

81 strokes today, +9 off 14. Was a fourball competition though. Actually posted 44 points so I reckon we must be in with a chance of winning.

2 birdies
    8 pars
    6 bogies
    1 double
    1 treble :-(

Quite pleased with how I played despite the two disaster holes. Had the treble on the 4th hole, par 4, after being in a greenside bunker in 2.....enough said! That left me at +5 after 4. Played the next 12 holes in +1 to leave me at +6 standing on the 17th tee. 17 was a bit sloppy but got the bogey. Then disappointing finish on the last. Knocked down my second, then hit what I thought was a really good recovery wedge. Got to the green and saw a ball about 5 feet from the pin. Half checked it, marked it and thought that it was my ball, but it turned out that another lad in the group had changed balls and was now playing the same ball as me. Luckily I had marked my ball and it turned out mine had overshot the green in the rough. The unexpected disappointment got to me, rather stupidly...hit a poor chip back on and missed the putt. Annoying end to a great round.

Highlights were both birdies. Hit a bad drive on the first of them, right under a tree. But hit a very good recovery and then hit a smashing 7-iron to about 6 feet and drained the birdie putt! Only later did I realise that I damaged my 6-iron in the recovery shot from under the tree :-(

The second birdie was beautiful as well. Decentish drive on a long par 4, 15th. Then hit a hybrid onto the green and sank a 40ft putt!

The round proved to me that I am well capable of shooting sub-80 rounds, if I can just keep the concentration going. Hopefully last round with winter rules too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

37pts off 17

Played poor enough, bogey's all day, got 1 birdie with a 25ft putt
    Happy in one sense since i didnt play good and still hit 37pts and had a 4 putt at one stage....a f**kin 4 putt like :(

77 today in Stableford comp.. 40pts
    9 pars
    2 birdies
    6 bogey's
    1 double
    FIR 60%
    GIR 40%
    Putts 30

Played well & showed good mental strength came back after bad holes with birdies, score was good enough to win the comp. First cut of the year gets me to 9.8... Another few cuts should see me reach my long time goal of single figures.
    Buzzing now.... Bring it on.....

Congrats mafc great shooting. Hope you get that 0.4 soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Mafc

we have known on here way before the handicap system that you are a single figure golfer.

Only a technicality to overcome.

Mafc

we have known on here way before the handicap system that you are a single figure golfer.

Only a technicality to overcome.

Thanks Fix, if you saw me play you might not say that... short game keeps me competitive. If only I could get another 30 yds off the tee. Only joking , reckon my putting stats would take a big hit if I could hit it further. Confidence is so high currently that I can only see single figures in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

75 gross, 34 points around Lucan gc off 2.

35 putts.

Probably sounds worse than it was; the low point on the greens came as early as the first hole, where I 3 putted from 30 feet.Thereafter, I was solidly unspectacular. Made a 9 footer for birdie on 2 and a 7 footer for birdie on 4 after 2 nice approaches, but let slip a great chance for birdie on 5 and bogied 7, which left me in a bit of a funk which persisted throughout the round. Really poor bogey on 9 was followed by a few pars and 3 further bogeys on 13, 16 and 18.

Pretty aggravating overall, but the truth was I just didn't get my iron shots close enough. Putting was bad but not as bad as 35 looks, so optimistic that any improvement on that whatsoever will yield a decent score next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

great weekend of golf... Captains drive in on Saturday morning ( texas scramble ) . 58 won we had 63....

Sunday morning ...Stableford fourball... we had 35 points, 41 won it...

I am playing the most consistent golf of my life and loving every second of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Will join the ranks of mediocre score posters.

30 points on Sunday morning:

21% FIR
    17% GIR
    29 putts (1.61 per hole/2 per GIR)

6 Pars
    7 Bogeys
    4 DB
    1 Treble (2 lost off the tee, 1 OOB, 1 into hazard)

Lost 5 golf balls, which was extremely poor. Probably lucky to get away with 5 as on 2 holes I got the trees of the tee but got a kick in the right direction.

Chipped & putted very well, but chased a few shots that I shouldn't have (course management out the window). No 3-putts, left 1/2 on the lip and a couple more shaved the side of the hole.

Irons from 7-wedges were actually being stuck quite sweet, anything above was a 90% chance of a pulled draw into the left rough.

Given the positions I was leaving myself in off the tee was actually pretty happy to escape with 30 points :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

played 18 holes in portumna today, with 36pts off 13 h/c..was happy overall, am really trying to work on my tempo over the last few weeks, could see the work paying of today.
    took me a good few holes to get used to the pace of the green's.. left at least 5pts out their with bad decisions, but something to build on.

8 pars.
    7 bogies.
    2 D. bogies.
    1 scr.

10/14 fir
    9/18 gir
    34 putts..

The worst 33 points I've ever had in today's Open in the Heritage.
    Turned with 19 points. Which included a 4 putt for 6 on the first!!! (putting was very good despite 2 disasters)

Was just off the green in 2 on the Par 5 10th, walked away with a 6 (for my second putting disaster).

Couldn't have placed the ball better from the tee over the 3 holes. Made an absolute balls of approaches.
    2 Scratches and a 1 pointer :(

Got it together over the last 5 with 11points.

Left a nice cut out there today!

Playing great stuff outside of the blow ups so won't get too down on myself.
    Putting v well for 16/18 holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

+6 for 34pts

hit the ball well but putting on forked greens was a lottery that i didnt have a winning ticket for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

35points of 23 in Headfort New today with 99 Gross. 5 Pars were the highlights. More in hows your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

25pts round the heritage today lovely course but by jesus those bunkers killed me I found 10 of em haha can only laugh 100 strokes.1st time playing it very good test. Greens spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

lester76 wrote: »
    25pts round the heritage today lovely course but by jesus those bunkers killed me I found 10 of em haha can only laugh 100 strokes.1st time playing it very good test. Greens spot on

Similar day to mine in the headfort so, first six holes I found the greenside bunkers. I've very little experience out of compact wet sand so it took a while some times with usually the leading edge and frustration making an appearance :pac:

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Similar day to mine in the headfort so, first six holes I found the greenside bunkers. I've very little experience out of compact wet sand so it took a while some times with usually the leading edge and frustration making an appearance :pac:

I made 3 up and downs from the 3 bunkers I was in yesterday before the 4th bunker of the day on 11... Was confident as hell as I jumped into the bunker.... The only question you need to ask is how far I bladed that one :)

About 50 yards :(
    Didn't quite jump out of the bunker after that one

Got to love & hate the game!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement