Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

36pts Portarlington playing of 6. Struck the ball well but, was a bit rusty around the greens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

2 rounds at Waterville at the weekend.

33 points Saturday. (No scratches)
    32 Sunday. (3 scratches)

Playing off 15.
    2nd and 3rd rounds this year.

Happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Played Portumna yesterday with society and there was an open singles aswell so went into it,

Firstly ill start off by saying what a beautiful venue, course was in good shape bit wet but the views were epic, the 17th is one of the nicest holes iv played,

Ended up winning both comps with 37pts off 17
    I felt i left alot after me with 2 scratches

88 Strokes
    1 Birdie
    6 Pars
    7 Bogeys
    2 DB
    2 Others :mad:

Putting was good apart from losing concentration on 2-3 putts one in particular was only a foot and a bit......alot of F's after that one lol

All n all very happy and the 3 lads i was playing with gave me shot of the day which was a 5i from 210yds to 1ft for Birdie :D

No doubt Lady Luck was with me yesterday cos after the first few holes i was dreading gettin a .1 back and ended up with first cut of the year .9 and First Win of an Official Comp since i started playing :)

New HC 16.5 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

34 points in Castleknocks Open today. Cracker of a day so I dropped everything and headed out.

16 out and 18 in.
    Was a bit disappointed with the front 9, got off to a slow start on scoring holes.
    Poor driving seen me scratch 10 and 14... Went par, par, birdie for the holes in between. An unconventional 10 points for 5 holes.

Yet again I've come away thinking it left a cut out there.

Happy all the same, I've had worse golfing emotions. Hadn't played the course since I started out. Was nice to play the course with a little better grasp of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

PARlance wrote: »
    34 points in Castleknocks Open today. Cracker of a day so I dropped everything and headed out.

16 out and 18 in.
    Was a bit disappointed with the front 9, got off to a slow start on scoring holes.
    Poor driving seen me scratch 10 and 14... Went par, par, birdie for the holes in between. An unconventional 10 points for 5 holes.

Yet again I've come away thinking it left a cut out there.

Happy all the same, I've had worse golfing emotions. Hadn't played the course since I started out. Was nice to play the course with a little better grasp of the game.

Due out there fir a game this Saturday. Looking forward to it, dont think I've ever put in a decent score, only played once or twice. Was the place in good nick?

Due out there fir a game this Saturday. Looking forward to it, dont think I've ever put in a decent score, only played once or twice. Was the place in good nick?

Greens must have been done a few weeks ago. A bit sandy but should be in good order come Sat.

Overall condition if the place is very good.

Played 9 Holes today
    21pts for 17hc

Was an ok round, started with a scratch which was horrible after a perfect drive and pushed the second shot into the trees and thought id find it,

5 Pars
    3 Bogeys
    1 Scratch :(

Good ball striking and handy to get a bit of practice in for an Open Singles tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

35 points today in singles stableford.
    +2 after 8 holes and on the par 5 9th had 60yds for my third.... Hit the dirtiest shank you will ever see!!!! Ended up scratching it.

Had a pretty steady back 9 for 18 points which ended bogey bogey from good positions but all in all it was my most enjoyable day in a while as it was glorious out and t shirt weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

39 pts . Corballis.

First time ever playing to 8.

So at last in a way. Push on now and try to do it again.
    Only two bad holes. A slice off tee and a wrong club on another.

feel I can play better too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

30 points in Killeen.

The wheels have come off

Playing with Fix in Corballis today.... I certainly can play better!

20 points on the front 9.
    Tore the place apart on the back 9.... With 7 points :(

All sorts of stupid happened on the back 9! Think it was bit of tiredness from a fairly hectic day yesterday
    (You'd need a better excuse that that for 7 points in fairness)

Played pretty well on the front.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Had an awful mixed bag of crap of a round yesterday, driving went from slightly short and erratic to very very long and straight - I hit 79% of my fairways but only 28% of GIR which is terrible. Unfortunately the greens were some of the worst i have ever played on and were heavily sanded. I just couldn't get a read or the pace of them all day which ended up in 47 f'n putts. I 2/3/4 putted nearly every green. I was nearly at the stage where I was going to take my ball up once i hit the green but couldn't as it was a card for new handicap.

Playing off the very back tees I ended up with:
    5 pars (including index 1 & 2 which i missed birdie putts on both)
    3 Bogies
    4 Doubles
    Rest not worth mentioning due to putting!!!
    I can honestly say i left at least 15 putts out there and the odd few others.
    Very frustrating.

To top off the crap day i was taking a shot from behind a small tree on the 10th and managed to catch it with my 5 iron snapping it in half. Deep breaths!!

Edit - forgot to mention, I gave up on my new swing halfway through the round and went with a hybrid of new and old which resulted in me going on a run of3 pars in a row (and just missed out on making it 6 in a row to finish)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Had an awful mixed bag of crap of a round yesterday, driving went from slightly short and erratic to very very long and straight - I hit 79% of my fairways but only 28% of GIR which is terrible. Unfortunately the greens were some of the worst i have ever played on and were heavily sanded. I just couldn't get a read or the pace of them all day which ended up in 47 f'n putts. I 2/3/4 putted nearly every green. I was nearly at the stage where I was going to take my ball up once i hit the green but couldn't as it was a card for new handicap.

Playing off the very back tees I ended up with:
    5 pars (including index 1 & 2 which i missed birdie putts on both)
    3 Bogies
    4 Doubles
    Rest not worth mentioning due to putting!!!
    I can honestly say i left at least 15 putts out there and the odd few others.
    Very frustrating.

To top off the crap day i was taking a shot from behind a small tree on the 10th and managed to catch it with my 5 iron snapping it in half. Deep breaths!!

Edit - forgot to mention, I gave up on my new swing halfway through the round and went with a hybrid of new and old which resulted in me going on a run of3 pars in a row (and just missed out on making it 6 in a row to finish)

ProGolf reshafted my Ping 9i (via Ping themselves) for €55, I thought that was very good value, glad I skipped that round, nothing worse that freshly sanded greens...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

slave1 wrote: »
    ProGolf reshafted my Ping 9i (via Ping themselves) for €55, I thought that was very good value, glad I skipped that round, nothing worse that freshly sanded greens...

I just rang Niall there now, hopefully i won't be waiting too long. Want to get new grips so will do all together. You don't realise how much you miss a club till its gone either!!

It was an awful pity about the greens as they are tricky enough on a good day without adding to it. Some were fast, others were mad slow. Ball was liable to go anywhere. I felt like Padraig Harrington at times!!!:eek:

3 Hour round too and that's after being behind 4 x 4 balls in front of us from the 6th hole on. Pace of play was excellent all evening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I just rang Niall there now, hopefully i won't be waiting too long. Want to get new grips so will do all together. You don't realise how much you miss a club till its gone either!!

It was an awful pity about the greens as they are tricky enough on a good day without adding to it. Some were fast, others were mad slow. Ball was liable to go anywhere. I felt like Padraig Harrington at times!!!:eek:

3 Hour round too and that's after being behind 4 x 4 balls in front of us from the 6th hole on. Pace of play was excellent all evening.

I waited 4 weeks, wasn't playing at the time so didn't chase up on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

17 points 49 strokes with some awful play on 9 today.

I did have the other half to caddy which was neat, but by jaysus she's critical lol

It's strange how we all post scores when we shoot on or close to our handicaps yet still talk about how bad we played.

The worst 33 points I've ever had in today's Open in the Heritage.
    Turned with 19 points. Which included a 4 putt for 6 on the first!!! (putting was very good despite 2 disasters)

Was just off the green in 2 on the Par 5 10th, walked away with a 6 (for my second putting disaster).

Couldn't have placed the ball better from the tee over the 3 holes. Made an absolute balls of approaches.
    2 Scratches and a 1 pointer :(

Got it together over the last 5 with 11points.

Left a nice cut out there today!

Playing great stuff outside of the blow ups so won't get too down on myself.
    Putting v well for 16/18 holes.

Turns out I didn't leave a cut out there after all. CSS was 32 so my that's my second 0.3 off the year.

Makes up somewhat for today's 0.1

ForeRight wrote: »
    It's strange how we all post scores when we shoot on or close to our handicaps yet still talk about how bad we played.

I was just talking to the brother about that, its the expectations we , or at least I, bring onto the course. I should really go out with bogey's in mind and not par's. Not that long ago on a good day I'd make one, made 3 today on a tough course over 9 holes and all I could think was " If only I played like this on hole xx"

Must order some more humble pie :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I was just talking to the brother about that, its the expectations we , or at least I, bring onto the course. I should really go out with bogey's in mind and not par's. Not that long ago on a good day I'd make one, made 3 today on a tough course over 9 holes and all I could think was " If only I played like this on hole xx"

Must order some more humble pie :pac:

I don't think you'd be a golfer if you didn't think like that. It's the game that keeps on asking:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played 12 holes this afternoon. had 9 pars, 2 bogeys and a birdie. Really happy with how I'm hitting it now. Very happy with how I played. Just couldnt buy a putt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

From reading this thread last few pages I've decided that I need to either make friends with FDP and Par or get the same job as FDP and Par.

the lawman wrote: »
    From reading this thread last few pages I've decided that I need to either make friends with FDP and Par or get the same job as FDP and Par.

Very true haha. They seem to be out everyday of the week the lucky divels

Either get their jobs or do a wife swap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Played with Par and Fix today out at Corballis, 33 points and felt like I played at least a solid 36. Two scratches out of nowhere.

On the 11th had 107 yards to the flag, blind shot, hit what felt like was a perfectly stuck soft 52 and was waiting for the roar of the gallery, ended up with scratch ball flew he green and was never found. I was on a roll of 5 straight pars and I think Fix gave me a dodgy distance to halt my march :)

I'd love the job Par has - as for me, shift lads - way to go. (for golf)

I'd love the job Par has - shift lads - way to go. (for golf)

I work shift myself and 2 years ago I was literally playing everyday during the week. No weekends.

Then the little one came along and softened my cough.

ForeRight wrote: »
    I work shift myself and 2 years ago I was literally playing everyday during the week. No weekends.

Then the little one came along and softened my cough.

Yes it is great for golf - but you die young - compromise i guess :D

Played with Par and Fix today out at Corballis, 33 points and felt like I played at least a solid 36. Two scratches out of nowhere.

On the 11th had 107 yards to the flag, blind shot, hit what felt like was a perfectly stuck soft 52 and was waiting for the roar of the gallery, ended up with scratch ball flew he green and was never found. I was on a roll of 5 straight pars and I think Fix gave me a dodgy distance to halt my march :)

John - I said 97. 87 middle. :confused:

Anyway - that is why there should be no GPS ;)

I'm on a temporary break between employment ;)
    Am sending out the CV in between rounds and watching the redundancy fund sinking.

Fix on the other hand has his work/golf/life balance sorted.
    I'll be getting withdrawal symptoms when I go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Another bad round in my home course today 101 strokes 24pts 5blanks 5balls lost. Everything I hit went right all day long. I tried to laugh it off but jesus game is so frustrating. Finished bogey par par always 2moro 😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Nice shooting Fix.
    Had 35 points around naas today. Course in lovely condition. 2 silly scratches cost me a decent round. +1 for the back nine was the only real highlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

38 in tralee . One scratch enough said.

scrubber72 wrote: »
    38 in tralee . One scratch enough said.

Thats some going for 17 holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

This game will be the death of me. Dooks today scratched first then 21 points for the next 8.
    It was cracked. Next stop the masters......
    8 points back.
    Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

28 points off 21 today in my 1st club comp.

I'd said driving to the course I'd be happy with 30 points cause I'd be playing with people I never meet and off the back tees .

13 out 15 back . Really disappointed with my front 9 with 3 scratchs , one on the 4th where I get 2 shots . My putting was terrible today which was a shame because I played quite well tee to green . Missed 3 within 2 feet today but I'm going put it down to nerves as they are not normally an issue with me .

3 over for 9 The Heath.

Greens sanded and forked . Poor condition overall. But I like unusual places like that.
    Played well.
    place that needs a bit more sun.

The pint lovely after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'd said driving to the course I'd be happy with 30 points cause I'd be playing with people I never meet and off the back tees .

13 out 15 back . Really disappointed with my front 9 with 3 scratchs , one on the 4th where I get 2 shots . My putting was terrible today which was a shame because I played quite well tee to green . Missed 3 within 2 feet today but I'm going put it down to nerves as they are not normally an issue with me .

Greens are in poor enough condition at the moment in GC. Grounds keepers have been putting in work, so will be a week or two before they are running smooth & straight.

Was out today in Castleknock myself. Qualifying conditions are in play there. Fairways and greens were in great nick, but was definitely a bit soggy if you were any way off line.

Had 33 points off 12. Finished 3rd amongst our little society. Very steady 2 point golf on the front, 18 points. 15 on the back 9 with a poor scratch on the index 17, 15th (I think). Was a little off the pace with the putter, line was very good, but came up just short a couple of times too many.

Was hitting hybrids & 3wood very solid off the tee. Found a lot of fairways.

Was a little tough to maintain concentration throughout. This is linked to the slow play thread. Was playing with 2 very slow high handicap lads. Both gentlemen, but both slowed things down in their different way. One plays very little golf & is slow because he's not aware enough of where he needs to be & what he needs to do. Also has the bad habit of standing in the wrong place relative to his playing partners which can be very irritating as you might just catch sight of him out of the corner of your eye mid swing. The other plays a lot of golf, and unfortunately suffers from slight delusions of grandeur. We could be playing a 400 yrd par 4 & he will have just duffed his drive 100 yrds. He would then proceed to walk 50 yards beyond his ball to get a good look at what was up ahead. Then walk back to his ball & knock it 70-80 yrds further on. Rinse & repeat.

On the 9th I eventually had to roar at them. Both had stuck their tee shots into the hazard. They then processed to spend 5 minutes fishing balls out of the hazard until I let roar at them that there were 3 lads on the tee waiting behind us.

I enjoyed my golf today, played fairly solid. Slightly firmer with the putter & could have had a lot more points.

On to the golf digest training day in Tulfarris tomorrow ...hope it doesn't pour rain all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Greens are poor at present so don,t worry about some poor puttlng. Hope u enjoyed your first comp.

That's a decent score for your first comp
    Danny, well done.
    It won't be the first time that 4th catches you out, it's a tricky little bugger...

• Advertisement

I seem to be on a bit of form at the moment,
    41pts off 17 in Ennis ended up winning

10 Pars
    5 Bogeys
    2 DB
    1 TB loose one off the tee into trees

I had 4 birdie chances aswell, bit annoyed i didnt get at least one of them

Forgot to note GIR n FIR

Was delighted winning 2 comps in 1 week, prob never happen again :)

My only downer and this might seem petty but i found out the Ennis Open Singles wasnt counting even tho i put my score into the computer after it and all so i wont get cut.......????

I was speaking with a member from my club and he reckons that i could still get cut but other people wont get a .1 back

Anyone know this for sure??

If it's placing only on the fairways then I think you're good for the cut Dossy

If it's placing only on the fairways then I think you're good for the cut Dossy

Sweet, thats what the story was and lift and drop in the rough but i didnt bother doing that as wanted to get practice for normal rules again
    If the CSS ends up been 36pts i should get cut 1.5 i think which puts me to my Handicap Goal of 15 already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Are you a member in Ennis

If there was no computer in operation and your are not a member there, make sure to report your score to your home club as that will help you to get your cut. Even if you are a member, it might be still no harm to report the score. There should be an away scoring sheet somewhere near where your handicaps are displayed in your club/locker room :)

Rikand wrote: »
    Are you a member in Ennis

If there was no computer in operation and your are not a member there, make sure to report your score to your home club as that will help you to get your cut. Even if you are a member, it might be still no harm to report the score. There should be an away scoring sheet somewhere near where your handicaps are displayed in your club/locker room :)

Cheers, im not a member in Ennis but i actually checked today and i can call into the Pro Shop for my card to give it to the HC Sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Last round shot a 70 off the second back sticks in bunclody gfc. Was flying it up to 15 and had a triple because we couldn't find my 1st drive in the rough and a triple on the 16th as I clipped the trees off the drive and fell out of bounds. Finished bogey bogey.
    playing off 20 at the minute but haven't played much in the last three years since I hurt my shoulder

• Advertisement

Dossy wrote: »
    Sweet, thats what the story was and lift and drop in the rough but i didnt bother doing that as wanted to get practice for normal rules again
    If the CSS ends up been 36pts i should get cut 1.5 i think which puts me to my Handicap Goal of 15 already

If there was lift and drop in the rough then it's not counting Dossy.
    Afaik, when it's "only" placing on the fairway then you can get cut....
    But once there's relief in the rough, even though you didn't take it, that means it's not counting.

You could always mention your score to the HC Sec and they may do a manual review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Another good ball striking round, lots of good shots, too many holes with costly silly mistakes. One birdie, 6 pars, two triples, two doubles, 7 bogeys. Not too far away but not close enough either. Each of the triples should have been bogeys at worst, each of the doubles the same. Three of the bogeys were missed pars simple due to lack of concentration. One has to find reasons for optimism!!

Lift clean and drop definitely a non qualifier. We had the same yesterday and I had 39 points which would have gave a great cut.

1 birdie
    13 pars
    4 bogeys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Played yesterday in the Weekly Stableford. 42pt off Hcp 17

2 Birdies
    6 Pars
    7 Bogeys
    3 Doubles (2 of these were on simple enough par 3's) :eek:

Driving was quite good and found most fairways coupled with some nice iron play but putting was a very mixed performance. Some of which I will put down to the poor condition of the greens but strangely I also found myself at times de-celerating on my putting stroke which led to some iffy distance control on several occasions. I would be putting for a birdie and then leaving a dodgy 4 footer for par.

42 pts was enough to win my Class so happy days :D

I will immediately get a chance to work on the putting today as I'm out in the afternoon for the Sunday Stableford. :)

Hopefully I will be posting later with another good performance

Its just a shame that winter rules are still in effect so no cuts happening at present due to the ****ty weather and course condition. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Two man team playing of ten partner of 8 full handicaps we had 45pts.
    Out early conditions very hard

• Advertisement
Advertisement