Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Redriddick

****e 30 points enough said!!!!
    Playing Ballyliffin Thursday so better improve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

89 in the monthly medal (off 13). Net 76.

hit 12/14 fairways (thanks macker1 for the club).
    6 GIR
    32 putts (best for a while)
    1 birdie/6 pars/5 bogies/5 doubles :eek: and a dirty triple (with an 8 iron in hand)

Made some really dumb mistakes misclubbing twice with the fairly strong wind. And both drives I missed, I was under a bush and in the water.

but very positive, delighted to get back to striking the ball well and being in with a chance with 4/5 holes to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Just when i thought i saw signs of improvement, yesterday came along.
    Scotch foursomes. Partner played well, at least to handicap, but i was an embarrassment on so many levels. Driving was cat. Short game poor and putting cost us big time twice missed from 2foot.
    Shot 91 and couldn't bring myself to stay after round. Gonna take off this week and probably next week too and spend some time with family. Golfed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Played Mt Wolseley yesterday. Pretty terrible front nine redeemed in part on the back nine. I putted terribly all day, and the green were a bit bumpy too. Scored 24 points off 18. Happy to par four of the holes on the back nine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

93 less 15 for nett 78 in Moate on Sunday. Had 4 putts lip out but holed a couple of nice ones. Driving was good, irons not so good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

26 points in Castlemartyr.
    The weather was poor but that was no excuse.
    Scratch-Par-Scratch-Par Golf all day.

Missing 2, 3 and 4 foot putts.

On a positive note, played with a 12 handicapper who while not long
    was always unerringly accurate off the tee. A very tidy short game saw him
    match his handicap. A lesson to me for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SEORG

82 in monthly medal off 13 for nett 69 yesterday.

Couple of 3 putts, two putts lipped out and a double caused by trying to be too cute with a bunker shot. Could have been better but very happy with the result. Down to 11 now.

1 Birdie
    7 pars
    9 Bogeys
    1 Double

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Seeing a little light again after a dodgy couple of weeks. Shot 87, net 73 in our first medal of the year. It was solid but unspectacular. Highlights were parring all 4 par 3's on the course and a birdie on a tough par 4. Only real disappointments were the par 5's (+6 for the four of them) and a poor finish- bogey/double/bogey/double which included 2 three-putts.

1 birdie
    5 pars
    8 bogeys
    4 doubles

Fairways: 5/14 and GIR: 4/18 (both as crap as always!), 36 putts.

Was only +9 after 14 holes and looking good, just a bit sloppy at the end.

Need to work on my short game off the green. I'm putting as well as I ever have but my chipping, particularly lob shots are not great at the moment, putting far too much pressure on my admittedly good putting (although the 36 I had yesterday is puzzlingly high, didn't feel that bad!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

33 points in Athlone yesterday. Had 3 birdies but nothing really happened for me other than that... Another .1 safely clocked in, almost back to 6 now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭BOB81

93 for a nett 79 in the monthly medal in rathcore, first counting competition of the year and I think I just avoided a 0.1 thanks to a clause 19 adjustment - CSS was 74. Had 36 putts which was a couple too many, drove the ball pretty well but wasn't great on my approach shots. I was 6 over on the front 9 (parring the index 1 for the first time thanks to a following wind) and was going along nicely after that only to have a 10 on the par 5 13th and a 7 on the par 4 14th! Bad shot choice on the second shot on the par 5 - hit a hybrid ob trying to lay up - I went against my gut instinct and paid for it. Finished off with a couple of pars at least to have some good feeling leaving the course but it's a case of what might have been...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

95 gross in headfort new for hc card

3 pars
    1 triple
    3 drops (greenside water)
    Two three putts
    One 4 putt

Driving and all irons were fantastic, wedge and putting was really bad. I put it down to not getting on the putting green for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Hit 4 birdies in a round for the first time today...had a monster 43pts off 9. Par 72. For a +2 round(strokes) Also had a 2!!! On one of the par 3's so bonus..Im a little bit sick as I was even par teeing off the 17th..and blasted a hybrid into the water..whn I was teying to be cautious and lay up..

Bound to get a big cut..currently 8.5 exact but I think ill be down to 7.1 for the next day..and maybe even a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Hit 4 birdies in a round for the first time today...had a monster 43pts off 9. Par 72. For a +2 round(strokes) Also had a 2!!! On one of the par 3's so bonus..Im a little bit sick as I was even par teeing off the 17th..and blasted a hybrid into the water..whn I was teying to be cautious and lay up..

Bound to get a big cut..currently 8.5 exact but I think ill be down to 7.1 for the next day..and maybe even a bit more.

Nice golfing a nice cut to start the season.

Second cut so far this year..hit 39pts last saturday and got a .4 cut. So im flying at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

That's great shooting- fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Second cut so far this year..hit 39pts last saturday and got a .4 cut. So im flying at the minute.

Ah fair play, not bad for a guy who was broken last month ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ah fair play, not bad for a guy who was broken last month ;)

Yep..its true. I was gona pack it in. I let frustration get the better of me. Id completely lost the will to play. A major revamp of my grip and I have my game back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Played open in Lucan earlier today. Another fine day of weather.

37pts off 15

8 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    4 Doubles

Game was alright overall but I played some very poor shots after hitting decent drives which cost me.

Course was in great condition :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

played portumna 89 strokes for a net 76,

played well overall,
    driving was good, hit 9/14 fir
    only 7/18 gir
    was happy with the putting with 34 putts

course was in great condition..
    hopefully will have better Numbers next week..

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Macker1 wrote: »
    Played open in Lucan earlier today. Another fine day of weather.

37pts off 15

8 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    4 Doubles

Game was alright overall but I played some very poor shots after hitting decent drives which cost me.

Course was in great condition :D

Glad you enjoyed it
    Was told by the greenkeeper that the greens were nothing like they will be on Sunday for the two scratch cups. They will be like Augusta
    Played myself and had 40 pts and sneaked a podium finish
    Bogey in 1 and birdies on 8,12,13,16 & 17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Glad you enjoyed it
    Was told by the greenkeeper that the greens were nothing like they will be on Sunday for the two scratch cups. They will be like Augusta
    Played myself and had 40 pts and sneaked a podium finish
    Bogey in 1 and birdies on 8,12,13,16 & 17.

Only 1 spot left on the timesheet for aforementioned Scratch cups as of 937 today for anyone interested. Everyone must have been playing a different course to me yesterday (or at least had the benefit of easy early morning conditions :D) - finished with a lovely scratch on 18 for a 78 gross. An eagle on 17 provided the only real talking point, although my playing partner made a hole in one on 7, which is always exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Only 1 spot left on the timesheet for aforementioned Scratch cups as of 937 today for anyone interested. Everyone must have been playing a different course to me yesterday (or at least had the benefit of easy early morning conditions :D) - finished with a lovely scratch on 18 for a 78 gross. An eagle on 17 provided the only real talking point, although my playing partner made a hole in one on 7, which is always exciting!

Whats the story with holes in one, buy everyone a drink or are them days gone now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

geeksauce wrote: »
    Whats the story with holes in one, buy everyone a drink or are them days gone now

Think it's really at the discretion of the player tbh- our man offered to buy us a drink, but was very anxious that nobody else in the bar found out! Understandable, I don't think he had the insurance (assuming that still covers costs of a round).

Got a call from the handicap secretary today..i got cut 1.6 for my heroic round of +2. So ive now reached my target handicap of 7(6.9 at present) for 2014. To say im chuffed would be qn understatement. I also checked the results of the open and I won the comp by 5pts!! Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

+2 for 9 holes tonight. Have started to trust the pitching, chipping and putts. starting to enjoy it again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

93 off the whites around Athenry today in a charity classic.

2 pars
    10 bogies
    2 doubles
    2 trebles

Couldn't get the pace of the greens at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

First time playing rathcore in a while, got around in 98 gross.
    46 for the front nine , back nine wasn't as pretty with 3 triples and one 4 over for a horrible 52.

4 Pars and 1 Birdie

Fluffed 4 bump and runs and 2 chips ( although I did chip in off the green for par) so I spent 2 hours chipping on the grass area beside the house when I got home. Still more work but definitely improved near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Really struggling with my game -

Scores in last 3 rounds 84, 83, 82.

Slicing everything.

Decided to go to pro again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Really struggling with my game -

Scores in last 3 rounds 84, 83, 82.

Slicing everything.

Decided to go to pro again.

One day, hopefully soon, I'll shoot 84!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Just coming on to say how happy I was with my 83 today. Damn you Fixed :rolleyes:

Anyway... was playing like a pig for the first four. Everything going wrong. Coming up the fairway, towards the club house on my own on four, considered getting back in the car after thinning a wedge over the back of the green.

Pared 5 and a tough 6 to get back on the bogey train. Bogey 7 and then chip in bird on 8 has me two ahead of the train. Well happy turning with 43.

Then **** got weird. Went -1 for the next four holes with one puts and awesome chips. When I chipped in on the index 1 13th for bird....... I was actually pinching myself and looking around for candid cameras. Honestly there were two magpies on the next tee box as I walked toward it.

Stayed on the train for the rest of the back nine to finish with 40 in and a sexy 83.

Best I played in a while. Drove better than ever. Not making many GIRs but leaving them close. Chipping like a god resulted in two 0 putts, 5 1 putts and NO 3 PUTTS. 27 putts in total.

Happy out. Still working like a dog at the game but it seems I'm doing some things right.

http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/122-22068108-22068242

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Played absolute #*ite today , 87 blows.
    Driving poor irons poor putting poor.
    Had 9 pars but 5 bad holes really hurt me. .1 again, it can only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

34 points off 16 today at Adare Manor. Missed out on 3rd in the society by 1 shot. Got some bad luck with the trees on a few holes although I very nearly had 2 birdies in a row also

Jaysis lads im on fire. Had 41pts off my new handicap of 7 today! Gona get cut again! Started with a double bogey,managed a birdie on the 3rd and it all cam together from there. +2 for the round(strokes)..equalling my best round. 3 birdies for the day. I should have gone round even par today. Next day!!

Cost me and my partner a win in scotch foursomes in Moate by blasting a relatively straight forward 5 iron shot way off line to the left into trees when it would have been easier to hit the 18th green I was supposedly aiming at. After being 2 down (twice) we had fought back to be 1up with 1 to go and I blew it. We lost on 1st extra hole when a better shot got a freak bounce and ran away off the back of the green but at least the ball had been going where I aimed at.

Singles stableford tomorrow. Redemption time???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Represented my club today for the first time ever in the Central Towns cup and have to say I really enjoyed it. Played against Esker Hills, scene of our recent boards outing!

Should really have won the first hole but halved it. He then won the 2nd with a gorgeous birdie and then won the 3rd, index 1 with a par. On 4, he got the first of several pieces of really good luck, hitting his drive well right, then his provisional followed it in. Somehow managed to find it and chip out. After his poor drive I hit a sensible 4-iron up the fairway but was too far back to make the green and it was a blind shot too. Ended up duffing my chip but recovered well to win the hole. Then on 5 par 3, he hits a wild tee shot left, mine just off the green, he makes a great recovery shot and makes par. I hit an ok chip shot, my par putt just lipped out and I was back 2 down again.

On the 6th he put his third in the greenside bunker, I made the green. I hit a long lovely birdie putt and left it 2ft short of the cup. He missed his par putt and I had a handy tap in but pulled it left and missed it, an absolute shocker.

Then on the 7th, he got another huge stroke of fortune, he pulls his drive badly, misses the lake on the left but stops just short of the bushes and can chip back out to the fairway. I then put my drive in the lake, and then another and I'm 3 down. Then won the 8th with a nice par. Then hit a shocker of a 7-iron to the par 3 ninth, he goes 3 up again after a lovely strike onto the green.

Then the comeback began.... hit a lovely rescue down to just off the green on 10 and made a birdie. Then on the 11th, we halved in 5, knocked down my second, put the third into the bunker on the right, way below the flag. He pulls his second ending up on the road above the green, then chips down, overhits it but it hits a hole in the green, a sprinkler head (never seen that before!) and kills it stone dead. I hit a beautiful bunker shot to a few inches. That was nice!

On 12, I underhit my wedge approach and it rolled back down the hill but hit a nice recovery and sank the putt for par to halve the hole. Won the 13th after he hit a poor tee shot that got him in real trouble and back to 1 down. After another half on 14, I won the 15th with par to bring the match back to all square. I was playing well and really thought that I had him on the ropes.

On the 16th, I pushed my drive a bit right, nothing too bad but lengthened the hole a lot. He hit a lovely drive down the middle. I hit a sensible 7-iron for position, he hit a decent second leaving himself about 50 yards to the green. Pushed my third and left it short. Then I hit a beautiful recovery to about 6 feet. He put his on the green about 25 feet away. He then hit a good putt for a conceded par, but I stepped up and sank the putt.

I pushed my drive on 17 and left myself behind trees and no chance of making the green, he was sitting pretty in the middle of the fairway. Then I hit a great recovery shot through the trees, he didn't make the green. I put a wedge to about 30 feet, then left a tricky 5 footer for a half. Sank it yet again and we headed up the last all square.

We both hit decent drives, I was in the middle of the fairway and he was off. Hit a very good approach shot which looked like I made the green but was actually just off. He then hit a very similar shot. When we got up to the green his ball was about a yard below the hole just off the green. Mine was another 5 yards on. Unfortunately for me I had overhit my approach ever so slightly which left a treacherous putt through the rough and down the green. Hit it ok, it only just managed to get on the green but it just rolled and rolled and finished about 15 feet below the hole. He hit a nice chip to about 4 feet. I felt I needed to sink the putt to stay in the match. I hit it firm and fast but it skidded a few feet past. It left me with a tricky downhill putt for bogey. I tiddled it down and managed to sink hit. Unfortunately he sank the par putt and won the match.

It was a terrific game, really enjoyed it. Only realised afterwards that I was only +4 for the back 9, nice shooting on an away course!

He was a pleasure to play and he very graciously acknowledged that he got more than a few lucky breaks along the way. Left me looking forward to trying it again.

Essay over!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

-1 at St Margaret's today.

3 birdies
    13 pars
    2 bogeys

14/18 GIR
    32 putts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

87 in Athenry yesterday.

Driving, 3 wood, pitching, Chipping, bunker play and long putts good.

Hybrids, long irons and short putts poor.

Got cocky on 15 after 3 pars on the bounce, and tried a Phil flop which ended short in to bunker I was going over. Cost me a DB.

Happy enough. Scratch free always good. Very happy with my play out of the grabby rough they have there that cost me on my last visit.

http://golfshot.com/rounds/detail/123-22104302-22104437

36pts in Moate today, ballsed up the 18th again today though so that's something I will have to cut out. It was the only hole I didn't score on.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

81 strokes hollystown off 18.

9 pars
    8 bogies
    1 double.

Holed out well all day and to be honest a few birdie chances shaved the hole so left a few out there, nice to see the work paying off finally with a solid round and well on way to my target of 12 by the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

69 nett off 13 in Scratch Cup in Rathcore today. Had drifted out to 13 for first time and looks like it won't last too long. Would love to get to 11. Hope to on podium but unlikely.

1 Bird
    7 Pars
    9 Bogeys
    1 Double (die Bart die)

FIR 86%
    GIR 33%
    Putts 32

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Double-bogeyed first three holes in medal in Bandon today (the third after I teed off from the whites :o) but was one under nett by the turn, finished two under nett despite a quadruple-bogey on the back nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

68 nett in the medal today at Portmarnock Links off 12. Could have been a real low one, had 7 birdie putts and not one dropped.

I have been working on a bigger turn and release and really paid off, picked up about 20 yards off the tee.

Think this may trigger an ESR that will get me back to 10. Hopefully it holds up, in all my years playing I have never won a medal.

Yeh baby, 1st medal, my 68 held up but no cut, lost .8 but was off 12.4 so down to 11.6 and no ESR seems the CSS on my last win (39 points) was 36, normally 35 for our weds comps.

Anyway lessons paying off, single figures soon i hope.

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played yesterday, got cut .1 = YAY!
    Played today, got .1 back :( = Awww!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

82 around Luttrellstown.

Most shots lost from bad driving - horrible. Duck hook or big slice.

Rest of the game ok - just went to a 3 wood for most of back 9 and was only 3 over on back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

40 pts off 13 in Newcastle west today. Open singles off the back tees... Had it going today, highlight being holing out my second on the par 4 second for an eagle 2!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

24 points off 18 in stableford comp today in tough conditions . Positives only scratched 2 holes and my putting was brilliant . Negatives driving very poor 4 wood ,5and 6 iron also . My natural shot is a draw but I'm way overdoing it with these clubs . It's time for a lesson or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

This is turning into a season from hell, last four scoring rounds have been 81,81,84,85 Cant break 80 to save my life
    85 today im rathcore junior scratch, had three 7's today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

levitronix wrote: »
    This is turning into a season from hell, last four scoring rounds have been 81,81,84,85 Cant break 80 to save my life
    85 today im rathcore junior scratch, had three 7's today

Jesus that's not like you, you finished the year strong last year, what have you changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Not much just an extra child haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

levitronix wrote: »
    Not much just an extra child haha

There's your problem!! Ha ha

• Advertisement
Advertisement