Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

110 in Wexford. It's only my second time playing on a full size course, Had 2 pars and birdied a par 5 on the front 9 so i was happy enough. Hope to play a lot more golf this year.

Quick question, My drives always curl violently out to the right bar one or two, what would be causing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

110 in Wexford. It's only my second time playing on a full size course, Had 2 pars and birdied a par 5 on the front 9 so i was happy enough. Hope to play a lot more golf this year.

Quick question, My drives always curl violently out to the right bar one or two, what would be causing that?

You'll need to vdeo your swing. Its common with alot of different ways to do it, so alot of ways to fix it. I.e come over the top etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ara that's just the ball you're using... Wouldn't worry bout that :)

Only messing, that would be a "slice". Probably the most common bad shot amongst us crap golfers :)
    It could be a number of things but number 1 is always our bad swing. It's just more obvious/accentuated with the driver.

Best of luck getting into the game. And a birdie and a few pars is great going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Second time playing and you got a birdie.
    Impressive. You will be flying in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

33points on Saturday in Cahir off 18. 5 pars, 7 bogeys, 4 doubles and 2 scratches.5 out of 14 fairways with the driver,nowhere near consistent enough.33 putts, 5 1 putts, 2 3 putts.

Finished well when the round turned into a match play on the 12th when scones were being smelled from the clubhouse half a mile away by my playing partner. Pity they were still in the oven when we got there...victory scones are the best scones.

I'm going to join the gang that is upset when they have 37 points.

I had 37 today but finished with scratch, scratch, bogey when I was in no trouble off the tees. I was actually green side hole high on a par 5 in two on the 17th!

All I can do is laugh it off. These things happen and I know on another day that wont happen and ill shoot a great score.

On to the next day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

A nightmare front 9 in Ballykisteen today in the open singles. 10 points on the front 9, 19 on the back. Was on the oar 5 18th in 3 and 3 putted when a 2 putt par would have got me to 30 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

ForeRight wrote: »

I had 37 today but finished with scratch, scratch, bogey when I was in no trouble off the tees. I was actually green side hole high on a par 5 in two on the 17th!

All I can do is laugh it off. These things happen and I know on another day that what happen and ill shoot a great score.

On to the next day now.

Yeah, you probably got in your own head today, when you walked off 15 & realised where you were are scoring wise. Reckon you were protecting that handicap really though :D

Great golf today fore, myself & par could only watch with admiration at your lethal shooting in the scoring zone & weren't too many fore right shouts today on the tee either :)

Parlance, wasn't your day today, you were forced to play a lot of good iron shots to recover a score, which you did on plenty of occasions, just too much trouble off the tee caught up with you.

29 points for me today, with 4 scratches & at least 4 1 pointers. (ie I scored 4 points for 8 holes, 25 points for the other 10) Was steady golf up to 7th, only blip a ball into the hazard on 6. then a weird lost ball that I'm still confused about led to a scratch. Followed that up with a 4 putt scratch on the par 3 8th from a fairly innocuous position middle of the green & made a meal of 9 for 3rd consecutive scratch.

Started the back 9 very well on a tough run of holes going par par par. Then blew up on the par 5 13th, sitting 100 yrds from the pin after 2, I scratched from there. 18 points on back 9 with a scratch & 2 1 pointers.

Highlight of the day, making par on 18. after hitting my drive into the hazard hit a great 3 wood draw onto the green & made a long putt.

A few too many lowlights though!!!

A pleasure to get out with 2 boardsies.

There's a medal coming up space :)

Joking! I wish I had an excuse for the terrible finish. I'll put it down to the wind picking up, I had no water left so dehydration, no breakfast, pulled calf muscle, eye lash in my eye after 15.

Sure it couldn't be anything to do with me or my swing.

I should move to the positive thread now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

28 points of 21 in Charlsland today .

Played the first 2 holes one over and then wrecked my back on the 3rd tee . The rest is just a painful blur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

79 strokes in eagle creek, Florida wasn't bad considering I was using ping g25 rentals, such a sweet iron to hit, might look into a set when I get home, mad how much the ball flies in the heat, I usually hit a 7 iron about 165 I was hitting a 7 iron today about ,175/180.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Macker1

dar_cool wrote: »
    79 strokes in eagle creek, Florida wasn't bad considering I was using ping g25 rentals, such a sweet iron to hit, might look into a set when I get home, mad how much the ball flies in the heat, I usually hit a 7 iron about 165 I was hitting a 7 iron today about ,175/180.

Good shooting........

Any pics of the course ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Macker1 wrote: »
    Good shooting........

Any pics of the course ??

Check the golf images thread Macker

98 gross in headfort new
    3 pars
    2 triples and 1 4 over
    6 bogeys

Some good and bad golf today but chipping was much better today

Played Beech Park with Space and Foreright.

Started off with.... Ara fcuk it, it was a disaster of a round.
    Think I struck about 10 golf shots today, don't know what to class the rest :(:)

Enjoyable round all the same with the lads and I'll definitely be heading back for another open. A quality course, some run of holes around the turn.

ForeRight doesn't post much scores on here and he prob won't like me saying it but he's an unreal golfer. If it wasn't for the monthly medal next week :) he was well on course for an "easy" under par round.

Poor old Space was hitting some crackers to leave himself birdie attempts, any time he did, there was a 2 foot birdie ball to follow (not mine ;) ). Single figures await Space.

I need to cop myself on, 24 points today, been yoyo'ing scores this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

77, 70 in the Lucan Senior Scratch cup yesterday off 3.

Probably the first time in 5 years the weather cooperated in any way for the 'showcase' event of Lucan. The course was in great condition and the greens more than lived up to their reputation, so fair pins were a necessity and I think that was accomplished.

I started on the 10th and holed out from off the green for a birdie 3, so the ideal start! Unfortunately, the par 3 11th pretty much ended my chances of winning at a very early point as I slashed, duffed, shanked, topped and 3 putted my way to a quadruple bogey 7. Played the rest of the 9 in a daze; parred 12 and 13 before double bogeying 14. I shanked my second on 15 to make bogey, birdied 16 and 17, then made another double on 18.

I settled down on my back 9, the front side, where I mixed 2 bogies with 2 birdies to shoot a 6 over par 77. Actually managed to get cut thanks to rule 19.8, so an eventful round to say the least!

Round 2 was less dramatic, but was delighted to break par for the first time this year. Very poor bogies on 3 and 4 preceded an infuriating 3 putt par on 5 after a great second shot. Made a key putt on 7 for par from 6 feet to stay at +2 however; had I missed that, I'd say the round might have gotten away from me. Went on to hit an 8 iron to 3 feet on 8 for birdie, and a great par save on 10 gave me some momentum. Nailed a 40 footer from off the green for a 2 on 11 to exact some revenge there, and birdied 12 and 14 to reach -2. Unfortunately, I three putted 15 from 18 feet but finished with three good pars to get it in on -1.

Ended up coming third overall behind NUIM's Conor O'Rourke, who shot 69 and 68, stunning golf. Tough to compete with that but happy to get something and delighted to get cut after several 0.1 accumulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Back9bandit

Just getting back into it after surgery on both elbows and a year off. Posted over,40 points in open singles in Newcastle West last week. It was enough to win by 2. Standard scratch was 34. Cut 1.2 to 9.6 but happy to be heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Back9bandit

Just getting back into it after surgery on both elbows and a year off. Posted over,40 points in open singles in Newcastle West last week. It was enough to win by 2. Standard scratch was 34. Cut 1.2 to 9.6 but happy to be heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

74 & 75 in Lucan scratch cup yesterday. Echo everything that Benicetomonty said about the course. Immaculate condition and top notch fast running greens.

Nothing much to report. Few birdies, bogies and 4 doubles over the two rounds. Didn't play too bad but concentration levels were poor.

Congrats to monty for some good playing and a nice cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

the lawman wrote: »
    69 nett off 13 in Scratch Cup in Rathcore today. Had drifted out to 13 for first time and looks like it won't last too long. Would love to get to 11. Hope to on podium but unlikely.

1 Bird
    7 Pars
    9 Bogeys
    1 Double (die Bart die)

FIR 86%
    GIR 33%
    Putts 32

Turns out my 82 was enough for the gross prize in the scratch cup. Absolutely delighted to win a big event and a nice little trophy. Hope for a nice little cut too.

I can stay away from the Negative Golf thread now for a few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

25 points off 20 in the 11 hole beginner competition around Castlebar yesterday evening. Took me a while to get going as usual but managed to finish with a decent score in the end.

1 birdie
    3 pars
    5 bogeys
    1 double
    1 treble

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

Saturday - Monthly medal - 84 gross - 68 Net .. ( good for 10th ) .. 1 birdie , 4 pars , 3 doubles, 10 bogeys ... left A LOT out there :(

Monday - 2nd round of of Bellevue fourball matchplay.. we won 2 & 1 , against 2 9 handicappers .... Buzzing from that !! into 3rd round :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Have been on a course 10 times in 2 weeks. Unreal - class. Played fantastic courses - with great lads.

Haven't played great - but just as well to get this out of system now then mid summer.

3 over for 9 - almost an eagle on first - have wanted a tap in birdie for a while. Got one.

Putting ball forward in stance and more weight on RHS has killed most of OTT on Driver - not sure why - but perhaps I should just run with it.

Irons better once I get inside - working on this. Reduced my swing to simpler ideas.

More progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Macker1

Have been on a course 10 times in 2 weeks. Unreal - class. Played fantastic courses - with great lads.

Haven't played great - but just as well to get this out of system now then mid summer.

3 over for 9 - almost an eagle on first - have wanted a tap in birdie for a while. Got one.

Putting ball forward in stance and more weight on RHS has killed most of OTT on Driver - not sure why - but perhaps I should just run with it.

Irons better once I get inside - working on this. Reduced my swing to simpler ideas.

More progress.

That is some amount of golf. How do you have the time.

Macker had a week off for mid term with kids etc.
    Then shifts fell well for golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Played nine in Forrest Little last night.

Birdied the par 3 fifth after my five iron off the tee ran on to the green and up close to the flag. What the hell do people hit off the tee for 190yds anyway?

Birdied the sixth too. Bogeyed everything else, including the short par three seventh after teeing off into a strong wind.

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    What the hell do people hit off the tee for 190yds anyway?

4i of my AP2's to carry 190yds at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭SEORG

37pts off my new handicap of 11 in a club comp on Sunday. Was surprised and delighted when the scores were tallied at the end of the round. Thought I would be getting my first .1 of the year but wound up getting cut a further .4

Started badly with a ball OOB on the first but rescued a point. Second was similar but got lucky with the ball staying in play. Settled a bit for a few holes but fluffed a chip and missed a 3 footer for bogey on the 8th and turned with 16 points.

Back 9 was better +3 for 21 points with another double thrown in. A poor driving & iron day that was saved by better short game and putting.

82 for 37pts
    11 Pars
    4 Bogeys
    3 Double Bogeys

FIR 4/15
    GIR 5/18
    Putts 30

I find this helped with my OTT too Fix. Reasoning pro gave me for setting more weight on rhs is that when I'm too heavy on the lhs my body turn is done before club gets back to ball so either my hands have to flick round to get square (which is ok when timing is bang on)or else club face is miles open when it gets to the ball & I sprayed it high & right (which is much more probable)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Played a tough round today in kileen. Parred the opening 5 holes,then went bogey,scratch,par,scratch which ruined my front 9. I struggled with the wind today,over compensating when there was no need...highlight of the round was back to back birdies on 13 and 14 including a 2 on a two,s hole!! Missed a few handy 2 point putts on the back nine too..ended up with 32pts off 6 cut to (5.5) following 2 winning rounds off 9 then 7. All in all a decent round,struck the ball well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

35 points yesterday in an open on home course. Enjoyable round with CharlieIRL and Dave (sorry, can't remember boards username!). 9 pars but too many poor shots, left me fighting for a score. Finished third in the competition in the end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Seen the results there today and your third place, should have been the win though! You had a cracking round and recovered fantastic when needed.

As for me, lumberjack golf again (i was behing every second tree on the course!)
    Started off with a great drive then a poor pw left me in the bunker and that was the first hole gone.
    Split the next fairway but still made bogey and went downhill from there on. Few positives was chipping from close to green was better, none of the usual leaving them short. Now to sort out the rest!
    2 pars
    5 bogies
    11 wtf's!!!
    Shocking stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Seen the results there today and your third place, should have been the win though! You had a cracking round and recovered fantastic when needed.

Don't know about that- the guy who won shot a 71 gross, 67 nett! I had shockers on two straightforward par 3's, even allowing for that still wouldn't have caught him. Unfortunately I'm ok at recovery golf as I'm so used to it! Particularly enjoyed my par on 16 having never set foot on the fairway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Open day up a hill in the wind, shot 39 points: 1 birdie, 12 pars, 3 bogeys, 1 double, 1 scratch ( short par 3, d'uh).

Pretty pleased as have not been scoring, cannot score on home course, and had not played the course before.

Hoping to lose .6 to get me within .1 of my stated target for the year, have to wait to see what the CSS is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Barton cup practice heritage shot 81 gross in foursomes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played yesterday with my dad. Conditions were pretty awful but we said we'd enter the competition for the craic. We both blanked the first hole and said, sure we'll try and avoid .1 ... After 6 holes we were both 3 down on level 2's and said maybe 12 holes would be enough....

After 8 holes I was still 3 off two's and dad said to me if I was still 3 off 2's after 12, we'd carry on and see if i could avoid getting .1 back. We were pretty soaked at this stage, but then the sun came out, so did my golf.

From the 9th I went : Par, Par, Par, Par, Par, Birdie, Par, Par, Par, Par. To finish with 37 points :)

I won the competition on the day and Standard Scratch was 34, so I was cut .3! Woo! :D

Down to 5.0. The quest for 4.0 has begun! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Rikand wrote: »
    Played yesterday with my dad. Conditions were pretty awful but we said we'd enter the competition for the craic. We both blanked the first hole and said, sure we'll try and avoid .1 ... After 6 holes we were both 3 down on level 2's and said maybe 12 holes would be enough....

After 8 holes I was still 3 off two's and dad said to me if I was still 3 off 2's after 12, we'd carry on and see if i could avoid getting .1 back. We were pretty soaked at this stage, but then the sun came out, so did my golf.

From the 9th I went : Par, Par, Par, Par, Par, Birdie, Par, Par, Par, Par. To finish with 37 points :)

I won the competition on the day and Standard Scratch was 34, so I was cut .3! Woo! :D

Down to 5.0. The quest for 4.0 has begun! :D
    Well done sir, seriously good shooting in yesterday's conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 digginz

Played 9 holes last night in Grange Castle in windy condition.

5 bogeys
    2 DB
    1 TB
    1 scratch

So that s 16 points of 28.

I've been hitting the ball fairly consistent after takings lessons and working hard on my back swing so delighting about that.

I m now working on achieving good score to start to get my handicap down.

Next step is to play a consistent full round

ForeRight wrote: »

All I can do is laugh it off. These things happen and I know on another day that wont happen and ill shoot a great score.

On to the next day now.

I see that CSS ended up as 74 on the day, so a little more cut than you were expecting ForeRight!

My wondrous run of scratches from 7-9 & on 13 all from reasonable positions are all the more painful now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

34 points off 18 with 3 scratches thrown in around castlemartyr yesterday.Myself and the playing partner both birdied 13, he birdied 14 too, first time ever seeing back to back birdies in the flesh.
    Had booked a driving lesson for today on Tuesday. Hit 83% of fairways, highest ever!

Completely different proposition off the whites, place is playing immaculate too.

29 pts around Corballis. A happy 29.

Was tough conditions - well lovely day, just very strong wind at times cross - head - tail, everything. Struck ball very well - just never got going around greens - only made 4 of 12 up and downs.

Only used a 3 wood and hitting it well - never had a 250 yard club before, so a new option off tee - was much needed.

Anyway , nice to be just back thinking about short game. Will work on chipping over next few weeks. Was too wrapped up in long game for a while there.

Putting better - still odd bad moment and pace control can be poor.

But all in all, feel I'm on the way back after a couple of bad weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Was tough conditions - well lovely day, just very strong wind at times cross - head - tail, everything. Struck ball very well - just never got going around greens - only made 4 of 12 up and downs.

Only used a 3 wood and hitting it well - never had a 250 yard club before, so a new option off tee - was much needed.

Anyway , nice to be just back thinking about short game. Will work on chipping over next few weeks. Was too wrapped up in long game for a while there.

Me either....driver doesn't even go that far :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Never played corballis played the island but believe corballis is just as good.what days do they have their opens

Ciarana good bit about it in Links Thread. We go on about it too much.
    Not a patch on The Island. A very short course. But excellent for improving short and mid irons.

Very cheap.
    15 euro open Friday - wed.

Great Little event. But it is not a full course. I would call it a practice links.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Ciarana good bit about it in Links Thread. We go on about it too much.
    Not a patch on The Island. A very short course. But excellent for improving short and mid irons.

Very cheap.
    15 euro open Friday - wed.

Great Little event. But it is not a full course. I would call it a practice links.

Need to play this place

• Advertisement

25 points with Fix today.
    Wind was up and it got the better of me.
    Had 7 points at the turn!!!

Was gonna say shocking stuff but at my level that wind is just unplayable out there.

Turned it around on the back 9 and came in with 18 points.
    Had a 2 on 10 and gave myself a good chance of one on 17.

Scratched 18 again.... In 6 or 7 attempts, I have yet to score on the 340ish par 4.

I'll get there yet.

Putting class at the moment, too bad I never had a chance to putt on about 6 greens :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

29 points is serious going on that course. I assume you have played it a good few times before. I only played it once and it was a bit of a nightmare to get around. Alot of blind shots but at the same time it is alot of fun, such a different challenge than a Parkland course thats for sure

Lol. I've had 41 willabur.

No I just know course like it is my back yard.
    I can't score elsewhere. Just there. Strange but true.

Ive played it . I say. 200 + times.

need to improve on other courses.

played Palmerstown stud and Corbollis last weekend.

Scored 34 points off 18 in a society outing in Palmerstown which was good enough to win the outing out of 24 players. Will be off 16 the next day. The course played well but it has regressed since the last time I played it. We were playing off the bronze tees which are good bit forward and made driving a bit tricky as I was driving over landing zones quite a bit, was lucky enough to avoid water when my playing partners got punished off some cracking strikes. The Bunkers are in a really bad way, the sand is really shallow and it took me several holes to figure out how to play them. Certainly lost some shots there. Managed to salvage 1 point on the last hole despite hitting the water off the tee. lovely finishing hole.

Corbollis was another animal altogether. First time around it was alot of fun but the wind and the lack of knowledge off the course played havoc with our scores. Ended up not counting at all in the end. Picked up about 4 or 5 pars but had at least as many scratches. Lots a good few balls in thick rough. Nailed a drive on hole two only to see there is a big chasm over the ridge which swallowed up my ball never to be seen again. a fair few other examples off that but I guess I will learn for the next day.

Lol. I've had 41 willabur.

No I just know course like it is my back yard.
    I can't score elsewhere. Just there. Strange but true.

Ive played it . I say. 200 + times.

need to improve on other courses.

Right, would love to play the course with someone who knows it. Its almost like a jigsaw puzzle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement