Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

thats 41 off what handicap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

willabur wrote: »
    thats 41 off what handicap?

Was 8. Got Cut.

A still day there. It is easy if you know it.
    Points would be 42 / 44 to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Ciarana good bit about it in Links Thread. We go on about it too much.
    Not a patch on The Island. A very short course. But excellent for improving short and mid irons.

Very cheap.
    15 euro open Friday - wed.

Great Little event. But it is not a full course. I would call it a practice links.

Thanks will give it a go on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

23pts off 18 in Elm Green yesterday. Hitting the driver really well, but struggled pitching anything less than 50 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

82 yesterday in awful conditions
    7 pars
    1 birdie
    8 bogeys
    2 doubles

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

6 over 79 today at St Margaret's
    Nett 74

Stroke off the blue markers in fairly difficult conditions with some strong wind and a few showers. It was one of those days where I always seemed to be 3 feet off the green in regulation, hence the scrambling stats.

2 birdies
    11 pars
    3 bogeys
    1 double
    1 triple

9/14 FIR
    5/18 GIR
    23 putts

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

36 points off 17 in Ballykisteen today in the club singles competition.

2 birdies (one on the par 3 3rd and one on the par 3 9th - luckily I had entered the 2s competition :D). 2 scratches as well - an 8 on the 4th and a lost ball on the index 1.

Needed a par on the last to get to 36 and rolled in a 15 foot putt to get there. 19 points on the front, 17 on the back. Here is the round analysis from golfshot.

Looks like I finished 2nd and I'm back into 16 handicap again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Had 72 nett in the monthly medal. 78 gross off 6. Terrible weather for the entire round..but scrambled well. Chipped in for birdie on the opening hole..but threw it away with double bogey on the next. Happy with the round though. Might be good enough for a prize..

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

73 nett in atrocious wet conditions in Moate this morning. Greens really good despite the heavy rain.

Finished 9th overall and got a cut of .3 :-) Still same handicap but at least it's right direction 15.2 to 14.9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

79 nett today. Off 13. Started off well with a birdie,par,bogey. Started to go south from there, had 3/4 doubles. Was a tough wind against on 10 of the holes tho, doesn't suit my high ball flight. Haven't played to my handicap this year yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

May as well post the bad rounds!

1 par
    6 bogies
    7 doubles
    4 trebles

Grand total of 104 :o

Hadn't intended on playing a comp this weekend but was up practicing and a friend wanted to go out. I was trying things that I shouldn't be doing in a comp!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

May as well post the bad rounds!

1 par
    6 bogies
    7 doubles
    4 trebles

Grand total of 104 :o

Hadn't intended on playing a comp this weekend but was up practicing and a friend wanted to go out. I was trying things that I shouldn't be doing in a comp!

Hey I post mine so why not?!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

80 nett yesterday. I have no words to describe how bad I played. I did learn one thing though, NEVER again play golf without at least some trace of alcohol in the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Went to get my second card today but weather got so bad on way down 8 & 9 that we called it a day at 9.

9 over through nine, was 2 over through 5 but had shockers on 7, 8 & 9.

Putting was on fire, only 14 putts in total.

Score would have been a lot better but on both 7 and 9 my drive ended up flush against a tree, on the ninth it actually took two attempts to get it back out onto the fairway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SEORG

70 net off 11..the good run continues for me.
    A qualifier playing stroke off the blues last Friday in blustery conditions. Played a very solid front 9 and turned 1 over..1 birdie, 2 bogeys, my best ever front 9.
    Back 9 was ok. 3 doubles, 2 bogeys & 4 pars.. Knew I had a few shots to spare so didn't do anything too foolish. Really only played one bad hole, which I doubled. The other 2 doubles were a combination of bad luck on one and a 3ft missed put on the other caused by lifting my head to quickly.

1 birdie
    10 pars
    4 bogeys
    3 double bogeys.

9/15 FIR
    11/18 GIR
    34 Putts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Wombatman wrote: »
    1 round a week 4 hours.
    1 practice round a week 4 hours.
    4 range visits 3 hours.
    1 pitch and putt game every two weeks 1 hour (per week)
    2 Chipping sessions 1.5 hour
    2 Putting before rounds 1 hour
    2 Home indoor putting and chipping 1 hour
    3 Home indoor swinging 1 hour

16.5 hours a week. Need to spend more time putting I think.

Progress http://golfshot.com/members/0492182300

Handicap Cut No.2, pure payoff for all the hard work. My game is 99.99% perspiration. I have long since recognised I have zero talent when it comes to golf.

306673.jpg

Before I start this update I'd just like to say I have the best Missus on the planet. How she puts up with my golf obsession I'll never know. Must have another man on the side or something.

Went out on Friday after work for a round on my own. Everything felt good bar the putting. Felt I had turned the corner with some swing mechanics stuff which was helped by a left hand only swing drill at the range during the week. This might sound strange but I was seeing the golf swing as a forehand swing with the right. Now I see it as a backhand swing with the left and it sits much better in my head. Shot 86.

Got out with a buddy on Saturday afternoon for another casual round. The wind was up to 40km and this was reflected in the score. The course was wet after a lot of rain Friday night. Leaving all my chips short. Short putting was poor also, but my lag putting was excellent. Shot 92.

Went home and went to work on the putting matt from 3 feet that night, while watching The Players. Late in the evening I got the clearance to play in the Sunday comp from herself as long as I went out early.

Weather was awful again Sunday morning, high winds and rain, but from playing the last few days I had a good idea of my numbers and lines. Got a good half hour on the putting green before I started and was feeling good over the short putts. More rain on Saturday night led to placing on the fairways. Made a mental note not to leave chips short on very soft greens and to go right at the pins with wedges and short irons.

Never felt like it was going to happen on the front nine. The par on seven, a long two putt was the jolt I needed. Then missed my par putt from two and a half feet on eight and was feeling the yips again. Then on nine I left myself with another 3 footer. Drained it and went into the back nine with a solid 20 points and a spring in my step.

Weather eased up a bit and I got in the zone. Pared the next 5 with a missed 6 footer for bird on the index one 13th.

The par run came to an end on 15 but I sank a twisty 3 and a half footer for bogey there and was happy with that.

On 16, chipped on and left myself with a five footer. I hit it well but it stopped right on the rim hanging over the hole. I looked to the sky and cursed my luck. When I look back again to tap it in, the ball was gone. It fell in. At that point I knew it was my day.

Missed a 5 footer on 17 for par and a long par putt on 18.

http://golfshot.com/rounds/detail/131-22260756-22260899

+3 for the back 9.

Happy as Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

barton cup yesterday we beat heritage my match got called in on 14th

35 pts off 7 around St Annes. Perfect conditions - so should be nearer 40 around there on a day like that. Wind only protection for that course.

Again - game coming around. Just short stuff needs work now. Chipping and putting. Know now I can stick at that and easily cut 4 or 5 shots off that score.

I think the work I've done on driver has ball back in play.

Nice to find out I had a 79 after and this is no longer a big deal.
    2 birdies - had a good chance of 6.

Sign of much needed growth on fairways and greens - I'd say the place will be very good in a few weeks.
    The P(o)(i)nt - I lost on the course, I found in the clubhouse after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Funnily enough, I was playing St. Anne's too.

36 points to beat himself on his home course.
    My first time playing it too. And I was playing horrible golf for a 3-4 hole stretch. Back was sore too.....
    Did I mention I beat him and that it's his home course ;):)

Had a decent start with bogey par, but then the crap started. Had 10 points after 7 holes.
    Started to play some real nice golf (with the odd lucky bounce) from there on.
    Went +6 for the last 11 holes for 26 points.

16 out, 20 in to pip him by a point :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

PARlance wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I was playing St. Anne's too.

36 points to beat himself on his home course.
    My first time playing it too. And I was playing horrible golf for a 3-4 hole stretch. Back was sore too.....
    Did I mention I beat him and that it's his home course ;):)

Had a decent start with bogey par, but then the crap started. Had 10 points after 7 holes.
    Started to play some real nice golf (with the odd lucky bounce) from there on.
    Went +6 for the last 11 holes for 26 points.

16 out, 20 in to pip him by a point :)

just wondering who won again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

just wondering who won again?

He lost Space, his home course and I'm off to hospital now, I'm 99% certain my back is ahem... broken. 'Twas my first time playing it too. I think he has played it 100's of times.

I won :)

I'm leaving boards.

Was enjoying today but.........

He has a good trick. He plays awful for a few holes. You forget him.
    He doesnt mark any scores. He says I'm pulling you down. You start thinking is he.

Then asks you your score for last 8 holes.

Then you keep marking 3 pts . And like a 3 card trick. He has more points as you are left confused. He then asks you your score for last 3 holes.

"I won".

PARlance wrote: »
    He lost Space, his home course and I'm off to hospital now, I'm 99% certain my back is ahem... broken. 'Twas my first time playing it too. I think he has played it 100's of times.

I won :)

You can't beat shots !

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Back9bandit

Check it again BallyK, I was second, 36 points, 18 each side, standard scratch 36. There must have been a lot of 36's

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Check it again BallyK, I was second, 36 points, 18 each side, standard scratch 36. There must have been a lot of 36's

Are you referring to the open singles? It was the club singles that I played in, which is restricted to club members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

73 strokes in Lucan Open yesterday to win the Gross Prize. 4 Bogies and 2 birdies. A few spots available for Singles today and Friday for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pinseeker

73 strokes in Lucan Open yesterday to win the Gross Prize. 4 Bogies and 2 birdies. A few spots available for Singles today and Friday for anyone interested

nice going Pink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Disappointing 31(6) around craddfockstown today,3 scratches which is very annoying. Hadn,t played the course since last summer and got caught out with the yards to meters conversion on too many occasions. Putter was cold all day too. Lovely course though,greens are tough to read,a real challange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Played the Tuesday comp in Ballybofey on Tuesday, 33 points of 13, disappointing scoring but felt I played well, just couldn't score.
    Played the Wednesday comp in Letterkenny and was really looking forwards to a good round. Had 20 points in on the front 9 with two silly bogeys and a blank, but the round was horrendous slow, 2.45 minutes for the front 9, held up on every shot with five 4 balls in-front of us, with the first 4 ball completely defiant about keeping to their slow play and even telling a Ranger to "feck off" when approached about their slow play.
    Anyway, at 8.45pm and only at the 12th hole, we decided to cut onto the 17th and play the last two. I had 28 points with 4 holes holes skipped, to say I was angry was an understatement. I just needed one cut to get back down to 12 and I was sure yesterday was the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭clouter

Played Rathsallagh yesterday. A long slog, not a big fan of water on courses and after losing at least 8 into it yesterday even less of a fan now. Finished with 11pts off 18. Highlight was 10ft par putt on par 3 17th.

Finished the day off with 9 hole comp at home club and what a difference. Broke 50 for 9 holes for first time ever. 49 strokes for 13pts. Never felt as nervous over an 18" putt as I did on the last!!!

Onwards and downwards hopefully!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Had 31pts up in carrick today off 18. Place is a credit to the 3 greenkeepers & the member's who help out. Greens like putting on glass really enjoyable round..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

clouter wrote: »
    P A long slog, not a big fan of water on courses and after losing at least 8 into it yesterday even less of a fan now.

My second round in Rathcore I lost 9 I think. Took me a good while to get rid of the knee knocking, only to find it again the first time I played from the whites on 4th of Headfort New, 140ish yards just to carry the water with 155 to carry the slope on the front of the green so it doesn't roll back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

99 gross on headfort old for second hc card. Very bad off the tee today apart from one or two lucky ones. Went to the range right after and after 2 hits started creaming them typically.

Some terrible shots, spent most of the day hitting back onto the fairway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

33 points today in mount wolseley. My first day using the garmin s2 (bought during the week). Happy enough with the round as had no scratches but I left 6 putts an inch from the hole so could have made a 39 if I grew a pair :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

5 pars, 1 birdie, and only 4 bogies with none between the 4th and the 18th :o. 8 1 putts, although a number were preceded by flat stick shots from just off the green.

Another 0.1 though. I was 3 up net after 5 and had a terrible run of holes - 8 'others' in the round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

78 strokes in the May medal.

Had 2 doubles which killed my chances. One was on a par 3 and the other was when I was in the middle of the fairway with a 7i in my hand.

3 birdies and a couple of other 20-25 footers for par rescued a round that was getting away from me on the back 9.

Unlike my last day when I arrived on the 16th 1 under par and finished double double bogey for +4 this time I arrived on the 16th 8 over and finished birdie birdie par.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

38 pts yesterday in windy conditions. I seem to play my best golf in wind. Was an average enough round until the 8th which I had a pfa then birdied the 9th then had 5 pars in a row. Only to ruin my good run with a double bogey on a par 3 where I had no shot. Bogeyed my way home then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well, back on the course & mostly shocking stuff. Only 2nd game in a month so had to expect some rust, but there was a lot if it!

A mighty 26 points with 5 scratches on the card. Another 0.1 on the way.

1 birdie
    5 Pars
    4 Bogeys
    5 doubles
    3 trebles

50% FIR
    33% GIR

38 Putts

1st time I've had over 36 Putts since last December.

Played some holes very well. For the birdie was the 3rd hole. Measures about 430 off the back sticks. I hit a whopper 3wood off the tee, was left with 110 in (downwind & slightly downhill). Hit a soft PW to about 8ft & rolled in the putt.

Also finished with 3 pars.

Everything else in between was pretty erratic. Found 4 hazards (which is pretty difficult to do round grange castle)

Most pleasurable part of the day was playing with a cack handed 5 handicap player who shot -2 gross for 43 points. Fantastic golfing.

Anyway going to try get out for a lesson on Tuesday or Wednesday this week & try get back on track. Exams out if the way so should have my weekends back for golfing

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Time to post some poor scores.

81 & 75 in Headford scratch cup yesterday. First of all, they are two absolutely superb courses. It was my first time playing them and was blown away. Two completely different tracks but up there with the best parklands I have payed

Started on the 10th on the new course. 3 wood and wedge to 6 feet was a nice start but then the problems started. Missed the putt by a mile. A 8 iron to the 11th to 15 feet was followed by three stabs. Was level after 7 and then dumped a 4 iron into he water on the treacherous 17th. Walked off to the 18th tee four over after a 7. A three putt on 18 left me turning in 5 over and the head was gone. 5 bogies on the spin ensued and the round was ruined. Played the last four holes in 1 under for the 81. 38 putts was counted over the soup and sandwiches over lunch.

Round 2 on the old course started with a three putt par on the par 5 1st. Three short birdie putts were missed from holes 2-4 before a bogey on the index 1 5th left me 1 over. Birdied 7 and then 3 putted the par 3 8th to give it back. Parred the 9th to turn in 1 over. A eight iron to the 15 feet was followed by a 3-putt and this was repeated on holes 12 and 14. Again finished 1 under for the last for to finish with the 75

Scores overall for the field were high as conditions were tough enough on two superb course. 74 putts though is not good enough to compete at any level. Have been shocking since the west and need to sort it out as the ball striking is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Was meant to play in the birr scratch cup today. My friend rang me when i was half way there.... Uh... Sorry man, i forgot to write us on the sheet and now there's no room for us....

nice.

played in the monthly medal in Athlone instead and played awful! 85 strokes. A day to forget!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Played today in a singles stableford for the 1st time with my handicap and shot 77 in Stackstown for 37 points.. Typical double on the 1st but played holes 4 thru 9 in -3 to turn -1 then made some silly mistakes on some holes on the back when the rain started to pour so a +7 back nine with 2 doubles on the card.

Putting was solid all day and for most of the round my pitching was strong apart from 1 blade and 1 duff on the back side.

hopefully a small cut for this as conditions where not easy on the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Singles stableford in Moate today and it was a mixed bag, 19pts on front 9 including a chip in for birdie on the 9th followed by 13pts on the back 9 for an iffy 32pts. Putting was all over the place, left at least 5 holeable putts get away on me.

Driving and irons pretty ok and a couple of good escapes from bunkers but of course in at least 2 of them I shouldn't have been in there in the first place.

Looking forward to our Intermediate Scratch Cup next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

82 gross for nett 69 off 13 in Moyvalley today. Struck it well all day and could have been much better if it weren't for triple bogey on the 6th. No birdies but parred indexes 1-4. Tough conditions today but it is a super track in great nick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Oops, wrong thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

73 nett off 11 in Medal in Rathcore today. An aul snowman (2 reloads) on 3rd ruined a really good day.

1 Bird
    7 Pars
    9 Bogeys
    1 Quad (ratfink)

FIR 79%
    GIR 44%
    Putts 35

Waiting to see if I can get my second cut in two rounds.

Gross 84 yesterday nett 76
    Too many doubles another .1 enough said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Shot 94 on Friday and put it down as one of those days. Another 94 in the stroke competition today for a nett 77 has me worried.

Driving and putting main problem with a few other donkey shots from the fairway thrown in. Eye opener. Going to work intensely with the driver at the range this week.

On a positive note my new 5 wood and two hybrids feel great.

Still feeling very positive overall.

http://golfshot.com/rounds/detail/138-22389150-22389300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

a 92 in foursomes.

and last week i had a gross 84 off 14, which got me cut to 13.....

single figures here i come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Walked off after 10 holes

I couldn't hit a thing - and it was bucketing down

My lovely draw has evaded me - back to the drawing board (range)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Gross 86 in Youghal (+15)

1 Birdie
    7 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    2 Double
    2 Triples

Played to H/C

Advertisement