Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Best round every this morning. Had 80 before but that was with placing and tees well forward. Would love to have broken 80 but it will come.

Casual round at 7 am with my main wing man who was out for two months with his back. Beautiful morning with the course all to ourselves. Great to have my home boy back.

+2 for the front nine was unreal. Chipping and putting have moved to another level in the last couple of weeks. All other aspects solid and improving.

16 was a mess as I was twenty yards from the green in two, but followed up with a couple of solid tap in pars to finish strong again.

Had first lesson of the year on Thursday night with my club pro. Spent two hours with me out on the course. Eaten alive by midges but it was well worth it. Already seeing the benefits if that can be believed. More on this in the Hows Your Game thread.

Over the moon. Single figures doesn't seem like a mad pipe dream any more.

http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/158-22872799-22872969

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Wombatman wrote: »
    Best round every this morning. Had 80 before but that was with placing and tees well forward. Would love to have broken 80 but it will come.

Sounds remarkably similar to where I am right now! Shot 80 on Thursday last and got cut to 12.7. Also feeling like single figures is attainable. Pity about your finish, dropping 4 shots in last three holes. Card proves you are more than capable of doing it. Keep the faith and it will come! I'm out in the morning to prove it to myself!

Let's see who can get there first!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

32 pts. Off 8.
    Awful, in Victoria ,Portugal.

A good realisation for me. That without your own clubs. Your at nothing. I did know that but....

Wouldn't rate the course. Just because a course holds a tournament. Doesn't make it a good one.

Pared last 4 . Looking forward to getting back to real golf in Ireland.

Nice to see Lowry's name on wall.

I think Boards golf nuts need a trip over here (with own gear)

make the long drive over to fuengirola in Spain. Myself and the wife would love a pint or two with you. We have a spare double bed in our apartment and all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rikand wrote: »
    make the long drive over to fuengirola in Spain. Myself and the wife would love a pint or two with you. We have a spare double bed in our apartment and all ;)

It's a trap Fix ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Do hear that Spain is a third the price.
    Heading home in am.

Would have. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well post lesson golf was in full effect today.

Tough conditions, 29 points. Disappointingly erratic. Got off to a bad start & never caught up.

Worst thing was last weekend I had 37 points coming off 16 & finished scratch scratch, this week had 23 points coming off 16 & finished birdie birdie :eek: (cue replies about protecting handicap :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Played in club amam today. Steady golf 37 and 2 scratches. Good birdie on last par three that's played off back sticks at 186 metres. Coming good now just need to stop the blanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Tough conditions and had 38 pts(35css) for the win. Had 2 blanks incl in that.

That takes me down to 18.5 which is nice to lose another shot.

I've hit a lovely vein of form of late and am losing strokes nearly every time I'm out which is a great feeling, the best thing is that after around 6-7 months I've lost 6-7 shots I still feel like I can lose some more.

Onwards and downwards :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

33pts off 14 actually it was strokeplay so nett 75 today at Moate. Golf is such a frustrating game at times, everything I did right last Monday went wrong today.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

Medal in Citywest on Saturday. 40 out and 40 back off 14, so nett 66. Best round all year where I actually finished holes as well as I started them. 1.2 cut and down to 13!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Got bet in carlow today by a very good golfer
    but team is into last 8 prov towns

Dodgy round yesterday after a fit of great golf. Only 30 points, three days after a 42 pointer...go figure!

Had a decent front 9 with 19 points but just fell apart on the back. Scratched 12th and 13th and never really recovered. Real pity as was going grand up to that point. The strange thing is that my game deserted me yesterday and I just can't put my finger on why.....this game drives me mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Macker1

32 pts in the Sunday Comp. Game is proving a bit of a struggle at present. Last three rounds 30, 33, 32 and this is down to dreaded scratches coming thick and fast. Must refocus cut out the sloppiness and get my game back on track over the next few rounds. Some matchplay matches to be played in the club singles and foursomes will be a welcomed change over the next two weeks.

Handicap is slipping as a result back up to 14.7 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

28 points. 2 blanks. Hot greens, course in great nick. Some day I will shoot in the buffer, it seems to be all or nothing with me...since forever. Kinda falling out of interest/love with the game. I think I will always be able to shoot low, but only occasionally, and more often than not I will shoot a bad score. It doesn't bother me, I just wonder should I do something more worthwhile with my spare time, and avoid all this domestic hassle that goes along with playing golf while I have young kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

In before macker is accused of building his handicap for the next boards outing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

29pts in Castlegregory links on our exchange day. It was tough scoring conditions but still I played rubbish on first nine and only had 10pts, thankfully though finished stronger with 19 on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Macker1

In before macker is accused of building his handicap for the next boards outing :)

Now Now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Down with that sort of thing :):):):):)

The truth is that my driver has developed a knack of putting me in trouble, my general iron play has been ropey at best and come to think of it my short game is very erratic.

In summary my game is quite poor over the last 4 rounds. No panic required just a step back to compose and refocus on the next round.

Looking forward to the next outing. Already booked the weekend off work. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Medal in Citywest on Saturday. 40 out and 40 back off 14, so nett 66. Best round all year where I actually finished holes as well as I started them. 1.2 cut and down to 13!

Well played.

I had an absolute nightmare out there on wednesday in the open. First round since joining recently as well so i am hoping things can only get better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

28 points. 2 blanks. Hot greens, course in great nick. Some day I will shoot in the buffer, it seems to be all or nothing with me...since forever. Kinda falling out of interest/love with the game. I think I will always be able to shoot low, but only occasionally, and more often than not I will shoot a bad score. It doesn't bother me, I just wonder should I do something more worthwhile with my spare time, and avoid all this domestic hassle that goes along with playing golf while I have young kids.
    I don't even have kids and there has been many a post I put up here about quitting and still I am here. I think a few weeks ago was the game changer. I'd been trying to hit the perfect shot every time and been working on what I'd been shown at my lessons....pro just said it could take a year or two to sort out the swing. Just use your natural shot, a slice, and low an behold I get my first cut. Stick at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I don't even have kids and there has been many a post I put up here about quitting and still I am here. I think a few weeks ago was the game changer. I'd been trying to hit the perfect shot every time and been working on what I'd been shown at my lessons....pro just said it could take a year or two to sort out the swing. Just use your natural shot, a slice, and low an behold I get my first cut. Stick at it!

Delighted to hear that, and think I saw that you have posted a decent score or two recently or lost shots. To be honest, my post was not a "down on my game" kind of depressed thing, it was more of a "how important is golf to me" versus what am I giving up to play/how much grief/money/time, am I just being a selfish pr1ck continuing with this, and what will it lead to.

I'm very undecided. There is no more perfect moment than few seconds having hit the perfect iron, waiting to see how close the ball drops to the pin. I do really enjoy golf in general, no matter how well or badly I play. I also enjoy the feeling having come back from a hill walk or a cycle up the mountains. So it is about finding a balance, and at over 2.5k a year, I need to be playing a lot or thinking about the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

82 off 11 for 37 points in Concra Wood today.

Played well and hit every fairway which is a first and pretty nice. Not many greens hit but got up and down 7 times.

Have to say its one of the nicest courses you'll play. Can't remember a weak hole. Amazing and can't recommend it enough.

10 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    2 doubles

FIR 100%
    GIR 22%
    Putts 31

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Delighted to hear that, and think I saw that you have posted a decent score or two recently or lost shots. To be honest, my post was not a "down on my game" kind of depressed thing, it was more of a "how important is golf to me" versus what am I giving up to play/how much grief/money/time, am I just being a selfish pr1ck continuing with this, and what will it lead to.

I'm very undecided. There is no more perfect moment than few seconds having hit the perfect iron, waiting to see how close the ball drops to the pin. I do really enjoy golf in general, no matter how well or badly I play. I also enjoy the feeling having come back from a hill walk or a cycle up the mountains. So it is about finding a balance, and at over 2.5k a year, I need to be playing a lot or thinking about the future.
    You are not being selfish. I think a lot of guys feel that but you've got to be happy and if your outlet is one game a week then no need to feel guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

36pts of 14 in portumna yesterday.
    played very up and down couldn't seem to string good holes together. est was a birdie at 8 followed y a par at 9..
    driving was OK, long irons were poor, my chipping and putting saved me alot..

8/14 fir
    5/18 gir
    28 putts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Won my opening match in Lucan's class 1 scratch cup this evening.

Defending this competition after an unlikely win last year, but shaping up to be a far stronger field this time around so happy to get through round 1. Played against a good mate and a very solid player who was always going to be a tricky prospect. Game was in good order though, with only my putting continuing to be a cause for concern.

Having said that, I went down early when I lost the first to a par after driving into an imposing fairway bunker, and followed that with an infuriating three putt on #2 after a great drive and a sensible second to gift my opponent with a half after he found trouble through the green. He managed a very good half on the third, getting up and down out of a greenside bunker, before we halved the fourth in par 3s.

Both of us managed to hit the par 5 5th in two shots but neither eagle putt threatened, so that was halved in birdies. On 6 however, I was able to square the match. I hit the fairway, but he drove right and was slightly obscured by trees and had to play a risky low pitch. It just had too much on it and ran through the green and into what looked like a horrible spot. With the pressure off (I thought), I hit a stress free pitch to about three feet and I figured that was the hole won. As it turns out, he got a free drop from a bell and from there had a reasonable chance of making par, but he chipped long and missed the return so mine was conceded.

He came right back at 7 though, draining one from 20 feet for a 2. After I missed from just inside him, he was back to 1 up. He lost a little momentum off 8 however, as a brilliant second shot from the right rough was soured by three putts, and my par 4 was enough to win the hole. Again though, his putter struck on 9, where he holed another long putt for a birdie three to take a 1 up lead into the back 9.

I hit a great drive down 10 and par was enough to square the match again. Both of us made very good par 3s on the difficult 11th, before I finally managed to get my nose in front, courtesy of a 12 foot birdie putt on 12. 13,14,15 and 16 were all halved in pars, with both of us missing one or two good birdie chances during the stretch, and on 17, I hit another good tee shot to put the pressure squarely on my opponent. He wasn't able to respond this time, and pushed his drive badly to the right and was forced to take on an ambitious second shot that unfortunately caught the trees. I was able to hit the green in regulation and cosied my putt up stone dead and the par 5 was enough to take the hole and the match.

Enjoyed the evening overall. Weather was beautiful and we flew around, never held up at any point. Few good signs after some disappointing scoring rounds the last few weeks; my irons were a lot better, and even my chipping wasn't as horrendous as it has been. Putting was very average though; outside of a that putt on 12, I made nothing to speak of and I had plenty of chances, especially on 14 where I hit probably my best shot of the day, a 7 iron to 10 feet. Greens in Lucan are still running extremely fast and I find myself struggling to be especially positive with anything outside of 2 feet. Hopefully they're due a sanding, that might help :pac:

81 strokes off 11 for 38 points in Rathcore last night for casual round.

Was a lovely evening for golf and playing well makes golf so enjoyable. Very happy with the GIR stat but need to get it even higher more often.

10 Pars
    7 Bogeys
    1 double (snake)

FIR 93%
    GIR 56%
    Putts 36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭thelostboys23

28 points off 18 in Kilkenny Golf Club which I'm happy with as the greens are very tough compared to my home club.
    4 pars
    6 bogeys
    4 doubles
    4 scratch

The scratches were disappointing as there were a couple of great drives and shanked a couple and could have had 4 more pars on another day as was very unlucky. Still heading in the right direction :-)

81 strokes - first round back after a little break.

Rusty - started well with a drive hybrid to par 5 - missed eagle putt.

Just a bit messy off tee and a few poor chips. Still had 3 birdies all the same.

But, will improve next day.

Glad to be back on a links. Lovely day for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Had 80 gross in rathcore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Sublime evening in Castleknock yesterday. Teed off at 5.30 and was back in the clubhouse by 8.15. Happy with how i hit it off the tee and fairway, but putting was woefull. Three putted more than half of the greens.

24pts off 18.

Putting lesson required. Hopefully we get more weather like last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Played 9 holes tonight
    Level per
    12 putts
    Wish I could have continued but very happy to see my game is back.

• Advertisement

Represented my club in an interclub competition last night. I was playing away from home in Moyvalley. I have to say for a club in a lot of trouble, the course was fantastic. Playing off the white sticks was a challenge for me as I'm not generally a big hitter. Format was fourball better ball.

Have to be honest it was a wee bit intimidating. My partner was playing off 4 and our opposition were both off 5. I play off 14 for the purposes of the comp. So I got 8 shots on everyone else (3/4 difference).

Anyway... started really well with nice pars on the first and second to keep the match A/S. Then hit into the fescue grass on the third. Nightmare stuff- in all my practice and match time on the course I never hit one any way right at all. Lost the third as my partner found the water. Another par for me on the 4th but then we lost the par 3 5th after both of them stitched their tee shots for easy birdies to go 2 down. We struck back immediately on the 6th, and a beautiful birdie by my partner on the 8th brought the match back to all square again.

The match stayed really tight, they eventually regained the lead on 12 when one of them hit a magnificent approach that looked like birdie. Neither of us could get the par so he had two to get down and duly did. I hit back immediately on 13 with a par and had a shot, they didn't manage a birdie. Then we halved 14 and 15, both times my partner sank 10ft plus putts when we looked in trouble. The 16th is index 1 and a beast of a hole. I hit a lovely drive down the middle, my partner was wild and in the fescue. He managed to hack out of it and then hit a magnificent recovery to about 15ft but everyone else had a shot. I hit a nice 5-iron just short of the green. They had one in a similar position and another in the bunker. I chipped up to 8 ft. The other lad put it to 12ft or so and the guy in the bunker was well away. My partner then sank his par putt but then so did our opponent. This left me with a tricky putt for a half at a critical point in the game. Thankfully managed to sink it!

On the 17th my partner hit a beauty to about 15ft or so. One of them also made the green but further away. I made a balls of mine stuffing it into the fescue and put me out of the hole. The hole was halved in pars. So all square going down the last and darkness coming at an alarming rate...I had a shot on 18 so pressure was on me. Managed to hit one of my best drives of the day straight down the middle and I was the only one on the fairway. Then hit a beautiful 5-iron over the bridge and into the middle of the fairway, A1 position! My partner put his second within a few feet of mine. The two lads got themselves in trouble easing the pressure a bit. My partner then found the green with his third, nice and safe. I then hit a 50degree onto the green, hadn't a clue where it went as it was almost dark but you can imagine my delight when I found my ball about 3ft from the pin! I had a tap in birdie and won the match for us!!

It then turned out that the tie was hinging on our result so it was a double delight. I'm absolutely chuffed with myself that I contributed so many pars (and one special birdie!) in a game with three low handicappers on an away course.

Great to win a game on the 18th after losing my only ever club game against Esker Hills on the last. Can't wait for the next round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Played 2nd round of Foursome matchplay last night against some very worthy opponents. Rushed home from a 2 hour drive to make it.
    3 down after first 5 holes. Then played out of my skin with my partner to go 4 up after 13.
    They pulled it back to 2 by the 15th but I holed a 147 yard shot for an eagle on the 16th par 4 to win the match 3 & 2.

What a feeling!

80 with 4 doubles - :)

First ball OOB - then 2nd hole - I've lost all my ability in bunkers - just need to get out and see why I'm too steep , too much sand etc. - 4 over after 2 :o:P:D

But then went 7 holes , all pars in a row.

So funny day - but game coming around - need to peak for trip to the west - so a good bit of practice on the way.

Course in great condition (as most are I'd say) - Rough has gone wild and makes the course a better test of golf. 2nd hole , slightly in rough - double , would have been a par a month ago.

Anyway - will stick at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

I played this morning. 12 holes with one of the directors from work so I was trying to impress :)..

Shot +2 for 12 holes with 4 bogies, 2 birdies (including driving over the back of the 14th (par 4 332 yds down hill) leaving myself a pitch to 2 ft.

I missed 4 good chances for birdie from 10 - 12 ft, My iron game is coming along nicely after a few weeks of just practice (when I can as time is not my friend). Putting is good but loads of room for improvement, short game is getting there but loads to do and driving is solid but a couple of pushes but on the whole they are long and straight with a touch of a draw..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

+2 (41pts) off 7 today in Athy. Had 10 footer on 18 for -1 back 9 but lipped it, wudda been cool!!
    Irons were top notch and putting was good. Driver let me down..Happy enough, and should see a nice little cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Although it won't rival many on here, I had a 103 this evening and that's only 3 outside my best ever so pleased with myself.

1 par
    8 bogeys
    4 double
    2 triple
    3 quad

I am beginning to get a little more consistent and soon might be able to go for a handicap mark if I keep improving.

Tonight my chipping was good, putting stats ok (27) but didn't really hole a lot and missed three 6 footers (2 of them for par).
    Driving still way too short and a nasty slice on most holes but my 5 iron is now going between 135-155 so that's a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

34pts in tramore comp today couldn't buy a 1 putt. Game is going the right direction. I say this every wk but big score coming.

Tones69 wrote: »
    +2 (41pts) off 7 today in Athy. Had 10 footer on 18 for -1 back 9 but lipped it, wudda been cool!!
    Irons were top notch and putting was good. Driver let me down..Happy enough, and should see a nice little cut.

Great scoring - sounds like you will be sub 5 soon . Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

84 blows around Grange Castle today in the club comp off the back sticks.

41 points off 17 for my best score to date.
    Driving was actually very poor but I was knocking down the bad ones to safety.
    Everything else was on form.
    Played the par 5's in 1 under thanks to a birdie on the 18th.
    Came back in +4 and that included 3 of the tee on a Par 3, a poor(ish) 3 putt on 16 and really bad 3 putt on 12 after having a 15foot eagle putt!

First round in Grange Castle (decided to rejoin this week) in a while and I have to say the new lads in control have done some really nice work on the course.
    They're planning on improving the tees next. When they do it'll be a class course for what it is.

+3 (41pts) in rathsallagh comp today. Never holed anything all day believe it or not, and missed a 2 footer for par on 18!! :(
    Never hit the ball as well. V happy at the moment just gonna keep going for it over summer!

• Advertisement

Great scoring - sounds like you will be sub 5 soon . Well done.

Cheers dude. 5.7 now after today i THINK but could be subject to an ESR chop after today

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pinseeker

Played castlemartyr yesterday evening with two friends for what was only my 4th full round since making sh_t of my wrist 4 months ago.

7 birdies
    2 bogies
    1 double :(

Nice to shoot good score and realised how much I missed hitting decent shots here and there....the wrist is far from pain free but to be expected I guess.
    Good to be back playing with nice weather forecast for next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Tones69 wrote: »
    Cheers dude. 5.7 now after today i THINK but could be subject to an ESR chop after today
    great shooting tones. Some super rounds. ESR reductions only apply to handicaps of 5.5 or higher. If an ESR kicks in it can only reduce you by .2 so you remain in cat2.

Horrific 27 points today. I played pretty solid tee to green but my putting was chronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Won our second round matchplay in the club fourball on the 19th today. Played solid, stitched a wedge to the flag on the 19th for a conceded birdie to end the match....
    #sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Had the best days practice in a long
    Time today... I was hitting the ball great so worked on 80% shots and working through the wedges followed by 25 8 irons at a 155 (says 150 but measured it on the laser to 155) to see how my distribution was and it was really strong.
    The swing is feeling strong so just need to make time to get some rounds in.

Lovely day for it

shaneon77 wrote: »
    great shooting tones. Some super rounds. ESR reductions only apply to handicaps of 5.5 or higher. If an ESR kicks in it can only reduce you by .2 so you remain in cat2.

Oh yeah i forgot about that. Wont get a totally ridiculous chop then ha. After having a few v good competition rounds lately cheers, its been coming :)
    Was delighted with the result in rathsallagh yest as its no easy course! 3 putt on 18 sucked but otherwise v happy

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Another horrible round today. I'm claiming a world record of 9 lip outs in a round. 5 on the front and 4 on the back. I wish I was joking.

85 off 11 for 34 points in Rathcore today.

Struck the ball really well for the most part but putting let me down which is rare enough. 4 three putts which is particularly scaldy.

1 Bird
    6 Pars
    8 Bogeys
    3 doubles

FIR 86%
    GIR 56%
    Putts 38

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

33pts off 14 today in Moate which was actually pretty decent as I had a stiff neck / shoulder which was restricting my swing a bit. I had 7 pars including a run of four in a row from 8 to 11.

Advertisement