Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

played the Royal currragh yesterday.

shot a 87 - 13 for a 74.

drove nice, hit some great irons, putted like McIlroy.....

3 putted the 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17....

pesky greens. Tough set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

31 pts, 82 gross, off 5 in New Forest yesterday - ok off the tee, sloppy irons, and bad putting.

A fantastic course with some very interesting holes (with just the 15,16,17 being a bit weak relative to the rest).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SEORG

Played a fourball yesterday evening with three mates, had 41 points off 8..

Big improvement on recent rounds. My lag putting was good (no three putts for a change), as was my short game. Was ok off the tee without being spectacular. Irons were ok, if I missed a green I was only a couple of yards off the edge.

Had my first eagle of the year, holed out from 60yds on a par five after hitting a solid drive and 3 wood into the breeze. Had par, birdie on the following two holes which was nice for a change as I'm forever handing back a shot after a good score on a hole.

We still lost the fourball match :confused:

1 - Eagle :D
    1 - Birdie
    10 - Pars
    6 - Bogeys

FIR - 7/14
    GIR - 10/18
    Putts - 27

Looking forward to the last 2 months of scoring comps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

Played a Fourball yesterday.

played the best I ever played.

4 Birdies.
    5 Pars,
    5 Bogies,
    2 Double Bogies
    2 B.I.P (Ball in pocket)

my partner had 3 birdies.

we finished 5 under gross.

46 points and didnt even sniff a prize.

go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Friday - 35 points
    Saturday -35 points
    Monday - 35 points
    Tuesday - 36 points
    Wednesday - Holidays over, back to work:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

36 points 2 scratches today. 1 birdie 4 pars 9 bogeys and 3 1 pointers. Driver was poor pulling the short irons. A good score without playing at all well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Well I finally did it..went around even par today. Nearly blew it too. I could feel the arms tightning up the closer I got to home. Was -2 teeing off the 16th..hit a perfect drive but ended up making triple bogey..aaaarrrgh. managed to birdie the next and par the last. Chuffed!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Well I finally did it..went around even par today. Nearly blew it too. I could feel the arms tightning up the closer I got to home. Was -2 teeing off the 16th..hit a perfect drive but ended up making triple bogey..aaaarrrgh. managed to birdie the next and par the last. Chuffed!!

Congrats, to pull it back after a triple is some going, breaking 80 is my dream for now and a far off dream at that :pac:

But I have the rest of my life to shoot level par (well under par really, one mustn't sell oneself short, especially in fantasy!) and I'm ok with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Played Luttrellstown twice this week, one off whites and one off greens,
    Had 30 points Wednesday, 2 stupid scratches after turning 9 +1,
    Had a gross 74 today, just done my stats and only hit 29% of fairways which is shocking, 61% of greens in regulation. I know what I need to work on!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

19 points is what I had today. I played crap and deserved nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Got a lesson changing swing had 13 pts front 9 and 22pts back 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Today was a weird day at the office.

I had 38 points with 2 scratches in Grange Castle

82 strokes. Was generally lethal with the putter today, despite 2 3-putts I only had 26 putts in total.

Struggled off the tee today making swing changes. Was saved by good work in the scoring zone.

42% FIR
    33% GIR

3 birdies
    8 pars
    3 bogeys
    3 doubles (2 from the 3 putts)
    1 quad - having hit a safe hybrid down the centre of the 16th fairway I pulled 2 3-woods into the hazard. A tough lesson learned, a second hybrid would have put me at worst within pitch & putt range but I'd visions of glory.

CSS of 71 so only 0.2 cut, but should have been so much more.

33 points around mitchelstown today. 1 birdie 4 pars 7 bogeys 4 doubles and 2 scratches. 19 out bad back 9. best I've played it condition - wise. out again at 7.20 in the morning. Hard work making good use of the weather :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

87 around Moor Park in a casual, first time playing with my uncle in months. It was nice seeing as he introduced me to golf and I was only starting last time we played.

Had an issue with hooding the driver but otherwise not too bad. Greens were surprisingly very fast, played like links

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Played Headfort New yesterday in a society outing off the white tees shooting +1 gross for 40pts off a society handicap of 5. My best ever round, 2 birdies 13 pars and 3 bogies. +1 on the front and level on the back with the birdies on 8 and 10 and bogies on 3 (bad three putt) 6 (bad chip after hitting the big tree protecting the left green) and 13 (pulled drive into trees and had to pitch back onto fairway). Very steady round and apart from the 13th (was our long drive competition hole) was very consistent off the tee and hitting the irons well. 61% FIR and 61% GIR with 30 putts.

Perfect conditions weather wise and such a class course (although not in the best of condition) made for a great day out. Greens were really slow and looks like they hadn't been cut in a couple of days, they're still recovering from hollow tining which was over 3 weeks ago but areas of some greens were badly damaged with disease and others had bald/dead sections. Greens need a lot of TLC as in addition to above also had a lot of pitch marks.
    In addition to the slow greens large areas of rough were covered in heavy grass clippings making slightly errant balls very difficult to find. It looks like the rough is let grow for a week or two and then cut down leaving all the grass behind. The 16th in particular looked very bad with grass everywhere and must be an absolute nightmare in the wet.
    Great dinner in the clubhouse after and very reasonable, would be worth returning for the food alone but Headfort New is such a great layout it's a pity to see it let slide I in terms of conditioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Played Headfort New yesterday in a society outing off the white tees shooting +1 gross for 40pts off a society handicap of 5. My best ever round, 2 birdies 13 pars and 3 bogies. +1 on the front and level on the back with the birdies on 8 and 10 and bogies on 3 (bad three putt) 6 (bad chip after hitting the big tree protecting the left green) and 13 (pulled drive into trees and had to pitch back onto fairway). Very steady round and apart from the 13th (was our long drive competition hole) was very consistent off the tee and hitting the irons well. 61% FIR and 61% GIR with 30 putts.

Perfect conditions weather wise and such a class course (although not in the best of condition) made for a great day out. Greens were really slow and looks like they hadn't been cut in a couple of days, they're still recovering from hollow tining which was over 3 weeks ago but areas of some greens were badly damaged with disease and others had bald/dead sections. Greens need a lot of TLC as in addition to above also had a lot of pitch marks.
    In addition to the slow greens large areas of rough were covered in heavy grass clippings making slightly errant balls very difficult to find. It looks like the rough is let grow for a week or two and then cut down leaving all the grass behind. The 16th in particular looked very bad with grass everywhere and must be an absolute nightmare in the wet.
    Great dinner in the clubhouse after and very reasonable, would be worth returning for the food alone but Headfort New is such a great layout it's a pity to see it let slide I in terms of conditioning.

Great shooting around there!! Yeah I played it a few weeks back and it was a little rough around the edges, but one of the best layouts around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

4 birdies
    2 bogeys
    12 pars
    70 strokes for my lowest ever round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

37 points off 5 today. Left a few out there but very happy with my play. Got a putting tip from billy horschel and chris kirk this week. Shortened my backstroke and power thru the follow thru. Getting a much better stroke and roll on putts inside 15 feet.

3 birdies
    8 pars
    7 bogeys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

78 off 9 for 68 nett in September medal around Rathcore.

Probably my best golf of the year. I've heard there is a 68 in so missed out but happy with a cut. Hopefully down to 8.4.

Hit every fairway and 62% GIR makes me go all gooey inside.

1 Birdie
    11 Pars
    5 Bogeys
    1 Double

FIR 100%
    GIR 62%
    Putts 34

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

34pts today in Moate which was quite a disappointing score after 21pts on the front 9. Don't know what it was but I just wasn't hitting the ball as well from the 7th hole onwards really.

78 for 68 lawman. Presume you mean a 69... still great shooting ;)

Rikand wrote: »

Thanks Rikand. 69 it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

How dare you question a mans maths skills on here.
    Even if its jovial!!!!!

Shame on you

ForeRight wrote: »
    Even if its jovial!!!!!

Shame on you

You tell him FiveRight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

Got a walkover today in club matchplay , opponent forgot game had been arranged for today , rang him twice after tee time passed and no sign of him and in fairness he rang me back 40 minutes after tee time and said he completely forgot and gave us the game . It wasn't the way i would have liked to qualify but into the quarter finals now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

38 points off 15 today in Grange Castle, happy with the round but really keen on getting the HC down and time running out.
    Had a set back a few weeks ago when a comp was deemed non qualifying (because more than 10% of bunkers were out of play apparently) and I lost out on a cut.

Anyway, played very well today.
    +5 (21 points) for the front 9 after a visit to the drink and a balls of a green-side chip but pretty flawless (for me) outside of those two mistakes.

Back 9 was a tale of what could have been. 5 bogeys to start off and they were all tap ins from inches. Should have really had 3 or 4 pars. Was putting well but nothing dropping.

Scratched the 15th after a couple of bad shots but bounced back with a straightforward par on the index 2 16th.
    Threw that away with a bogey on the index 18 par 3.

Figured I needed (CSS prob 37) a birdie on the par 5 18th, no shot.
    Driver and perfect 4i had me pin high and an a 10 footer for eagle.... Rolled a nice putt but it just lipped out.
    Thought I had my first ever eagle as I watched it.

No rain for a month please.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

PARlance wrote: »
    38 points off 15 today in Grange Castle, happy with the round but really keen on getting the HC down and time running out.
    Had a set back a few weeks ago when a comp was deemed non qualifying (because more than 10% of bunkers were out of play apparently) and I lost out on a cut.

Anyway, played very well today.
    +5 (21 points) for the front 9 after a visit to the drink and a balls of a green-side chip but pretty flawless (for me) outside of those two mistakes.

Back 9 was a tale of what could have been. 5 bogeys to start off and they were all tap ins from inches. Should have really had 3 or 4 pars. Was putting well but nothing dropping.

Scratched the 15th after a couple of bad shots but bounced back with a straightforward par on the index 2 16th.
    Threw that away with a bogey on the index 18 par 3.

Figured I needed (CSS prob 37) a birdie on the par 5 18th, no shot.
    Driver and perfect 4i had me pin high and an a 10 footer for eagle.... Rolled a nice putt but it just lipped out.
    Thought I had my first ever eagle as I watched it.

No rain for a month please.

Great shooting, sounds like a very tidy round. If that putter starts working we're in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Great shooting, sounds like a very tidy round. If that putter starts working we're in trouble.

Cheers Ben, but you're in no trouble Ben, can't make it down to Kilkenny :(

Putter wasn't bad, just one of those days.
    Leaving myself too much to do with my chipping and wedges is the big culprit.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Even if its jovial!!!!!

Shame on you

Its all about how you deliver it foreright ;)

• Advertisement

38 points off 17 in Cahir Park this morning. Started off par bogey birdie bogey. Creamed a 7 iron shot of my life 177 yards downhill to 12foot and proceeded to 3 putt after getting too aggressive on the birdie putt. Fickle game as I struggled on the greens all day afterwards from putting well on the first few.
    Turned in 20 points started the back 9 double, bogey( 3 putt), double , bogey. Rescued it with 3 pars on the bounce to double bogey the last failing to get out of a greenside bunker.
    Got a cut which takes me to 16. Feel like there's more in me before the end of qualifying, but really happy as 14 months ago I was off 23. Gotta love this game :-)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057135072/26/#post92120575

^^ looking forward to all the updates in this thread tomorrow with the serious scores this weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Played New Ross and Enniscorthy in an annual friends golf outing.

34 points (off 7) on both days - not great - But ok.

Putting well - still issues with a pull on irons.
    Using a hybrid a bit again and reached a few par 5 in 2 with it - so this was a nice discovery.

Sadly not good enough for a win for 3 in a row. (5 points short over two days)

So only one big event for me this year to go - then taking a break and a rethink.

Two nice enough courses - sadly New Ross in poor condition and greens sanded - was nearly impossible to putt at all. I've played it before and is a nice enough place - nice people there too.

Enniscorthy has a bit more character to it, with changes in height over the last few holes. We typically pick courses that are not too hard as we have a few beginners in the society.

Jaysus lads - Wexford is a stunning county. And we were blessed with the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

the lawman wrote: »
    78 off 9 for 68 nett in September medal around Rathcore.

Probably my best golf of the year. I've heard there is a 68 in so missed out but happy with a cut. Hopefully down to 8.4.

Hit every fairway and 62% GIR makes me go all gooey inside.

1 Birdie
    11 Pars
    5 Bogeys
    1 Double

FIR 100%
    GIR 62%
    Putts 34

Great shooting. I you don't mind me asking how is the course looking. The reason for asking is that I might be getting over on Tuesday with a few friends as I have a 4-Ball voucher that I need to use. I believe the greens were forked and sanded last week.

Its a lovely track but I hate playing on greens when they have been treated.

Macker1 wrote: »
    Great shooting. I you don't mind me asking how is the course looking. The reason for asking is that I might be getting over on Tuesday with a few friends as I have a 4-Ball voucher that I need to use. I believe the greens were forked and sanded last week.

Its a lovely track but I hate playing on greens when they have been treated.

Cheers Macker. Yeah they were piled on Tuesday so putting a bit of a lottery but to be honest I was expecting them to be worse to putt on. Apart from that its in great shape. Enjoy it if you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

Played in a 4 ball rumble, 2 to score on every hole, charity comp yesterday in Dun Laoire - had 11 pars and scored on 12 holes... Missed a LOT of birdie putts..... Very happy with my morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

35 points off 24 on Sunday morning.Due hadn't lifted by the time we started and the greens had been hollow tied, resulting in 2 4 Putts in the first three holes. Should really have been a decent cut hoping for a CCS of 73 to sneek a 0.4 cut. :)

1 Birdie
    3 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    5 Double
    3 Scratch

64% FIR
    22% GIR
    37 Putts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I was pretty happy with 31 points off 19 in Baltray on Saturday. Magical day - lovely sunshine, hardly any wind at all. It was my first time on the course and I'm hooked! What a place! I was really impressed. Its a real old school sort of place and very friendly too.

Only had two pars (4th and 5th), but managed to keep it down to just two scratches as well (7th where I found two bunkers with the one ball and, the 13th where I took a stupid seven...). Eleven bogies and three doubles rounded it off.

All in all I putted pretty well too, with only one three putt, and one lost ball (on the 18th).

I think I'd do a lot better a second time around - there were quite a few blind shots which I might have tackled differently had I known where I was supposed to be going...

Hopefully this improvement will continue this weekend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Played lucan gc today for the first time..have to say its a beautiful course. Had a 36pts (6). Just the one birdie,but load of tap in pars. Greens are excellent,fast as lightning..so much so that I was afraid to make any kind of aggressive putt on the opening 3 holes..ended up with 3 bogeys starting off. Eventually got the feel. Great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

32pts in castlemartyr today 1st time playing it so happy enough with my poor 13pt front9 2 really stupid blanks cost me but came home with 19pts. 2 blanks & five 1 pointers on another day could of been great score. Loved the course a real test, gotta be straight off the tee plenty trouble to be found & the rough is long. Will def return enjoyable track

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Played Rathcore yesterday morning. Course is in great nick with the exception of recent pole forking of the greens which caused the putting to be a bit of a lottery. Started poorly scratching 2 of the first 3 holes but then started to play a bit better. I still had another couple of scratches but managed a few pars and 2 birdies. Ended up with 14 pts on the front and then 20 pts coming back.

34 pts with 4 scratches is grand in my eyes.
    Really like the course and would really consider joining if I was looking to move clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pinseeker

lester76 wrote: »
    32pts in castlemartyr today 1st time playing it so happy enough with my poor 13pt front9 2 really stupid blanks cost me but came home with 19pts. 2 blanks & five 1 pointers on another day could of been great score. Loved the course a real test, gotta be straight off the tee plenty trouble to be found & the rough is long. Will def return enjoyable track

Glad you enjoyed it Lester, front 9 is where you need to get a score going really. The rough is very much up from few years ago and premium on being straight is a must now.
    I hear from many people that it is an easy track but while il agree that off the whites on a good driving day a good score is there to be had anything off line and it becomes different beast and greens are very shallow.
    The Blues is a good test now.

I had 2 under off the Blues on Sunday in comp for 37 points which was nice and css was 75 :).

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

pinseeker wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed it Lester, front 9 is where you need to get a score going really. The rough is very much up from few years ago and premium on being straight is a must now.
    I hear from many people that it is an easy track but while il agree that off the whites on a good driving day a good score is there to be had anything off line and it becomes different beast and greens are very shallow.
    The Blues is a good test now.

I had 2 under off the Blues on Sunday in comp for 37 points which was nice and css was 75 :).

Yes agree my son had 19pts on the front yesterday but I foolishly scratched 2. Got it together on bck9 & my son fell apart on bck9. Real test off the blues il be bck next tue. Any clue what won it yesterday lad?

Taken me a few days to mull over what happened on Monday in Tullamore Golf Club, am trying to take some positives from the round in that my driving was good, long irons were great, <50m in & around the green was great as i was getting nice and close with pitch and chip shots. Unfortunately I couldn't get the pace of the greens all day, some putts went miles past with some miles short. The greens were as fast as pool tables but were hollow cored a few weeks ago so some were bumpier than others but am not making excuses for my playing. Course was in fantastic condition as per usual and a spot I always love going back to play.

I know we all say we left a few shots out there but on Monday I left at least 15!!! No sh1t. I 2 & 3 putted every single green with a 4 putt thrown in to annoy me some more!! Again i just couldn't get the ball in the hole. Thankfully a member here is going to give me a hand as soon as we can organise an evening together to see where i'm going wrong.
    My pathetic score was as follows
    10 Bogies
    4 Doubles
    4 Worse!!!
    41 putts over 17 holes!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Taken me a few days to mull over what happened on Monday in Tullamore Golf Club, am trying to take some positives from the round in that my driving was good, long irons were great, <50m in & around the green was great as i was getting nice and close with pitch and chip shots. Unfortunately I couldn't get the pace of the greens all day, some putts went miles past with some miles short. The greens were as fast as pool tables but were hollow cored a few weeks ago so some were bumpier than others but am not making excuses for my playing. Course was in fantastic condition as per usual and a spot I always love going back to play.

I know we all say we left a few shots out there but on Monday I left at least 15!!! No sh1t. I 2 & 3 putted every single green with a 4 putt thrown in to annoy me some more!! Again i just couldn't get the ball in the hole. Thankfully a member here is going to give me a hand as soon as we can organise an evening together to see where i'm going wrong.
    My pathetic score was as follows
    10 Bogies
    4 Doubles
    4 Worse!!!
    41 putts over 17 holes!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Don't let it dampen the spirits, the next day will always be better, at least you got your monies worth, strokes per euro is a rarely acknowledged stat.

Dealerz wrote: »
    Don't let it dampen the spirits, the next day will always be better, at least you got your monies worth, strokes per euro is a rarely acknowledged stat.

I try not to let it get to me too much, even now after a few years i'm just glad to be out playing. I just wish it was a bit better!!

Got my monies worth alright, 100 blows for €20!!!:D

You have loads of time to go play open days, but no time to give me a shout to help you out. Ah well, i tried! :D

You have loads of time to go play open days, but no time to give me a shout to help you out. Ah well, i tried! :D

Was asked to play by a friend who I haven't played a round with this year so had to go! Besides I needed to make sure the place is up to our standards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

A pathetic 31 points off 5. A real frustrating round, the low point being a par 4 of maybe 400 yards that played downhill and downwind today where I hit an absolute belter of a drive to within 50 yards of the green and somehow managed to make 6 from there. Just dreadful stuff.

Generally drove the ball fairly very well all day but just kept missing greens with short irons and wedges which is just unforgiveable (and usually something I'm decent at, I usually hit maybe 10 greens, today I hit 5). I completely mi**** 2 or 3 of those iron shots and pulled a few of them left as well, very frustrating. My chipping was reasonable and I actually putted well, missed one short one but holed everything else inside 5 feet and made a couple of longish ones too.

I think what's most frustrating is that I know it wasn't too far away because I hit the drives so well all day and I hit some very good iron shots but just didn't seem to be making great contact with the full shots with wedges and short irons for whatever reason and ended up with a couple of mi****s and a couple of more sort of pulled ones.

We'll live in hope I suppose that it might click the next day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

39 points in Millicent yesterday. had played it before few times, handy enough track, especially front nine. 2 over gross, nice way to finish a mercurial year. that's my fifth sub 75 round this summer, to go with a scattering of sub 80's.

Advertisement