Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do & see in Dublin this/next week

Options
  • 01-01-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Sorry to make "another one of those threads". My American friend is visiting me in Dublin until the 13th. I'm looking for suggestions for good events going down between now and then. He is into films, alternative/experimental music and general "nerdy stuff". We plan to go to the IFI and maybe Anseo comedy night. I've checked out the Nialler9 gig guide and Whelans but nothing on the schedule really takes our fancy.

This will be his first time in Ireland so I want to show him some historical and cultural stuff. What are the best museums and historical attractions? I'm thinking the Science Gallery, IMMA and that new Women's History museum. A walk down O'Connell St should cover a lot of ground on the history front.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Glasnevin Cemetary and Botanic Gardens
    Trinity College Library
    Moore Street (new Ireland)
    Hint: when walking around the streets of Central Dublin look up at the tops of the buildings, much more interesting than the boring shops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Moore Street (new Ireland)

I wouldnt call Moore Street new Ireland. Its more of a glorified modern day tenement. If your friends is from the states its nothing they havent seen in any major city.

Guinness storehouse is good. So is Cheaster Beatty Library in Dublin Castle. It is full of priceless religious books. But it doesnt glorify them but treats them as historical artifacts. I think Henrietta street is worth a quick look considering its one of the first modern street of Dublin.

Glasnevin Cementary is really good and go to Kavanaghs bar aka the grave diggers on the far entrance of the grave yard. Its one of the only authentic old irish bars in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Kilmainham Gaol is well worth a visit - I came out of there with my head spinning with stuff I never knew. Plus it's so recognisable from having been used in so many films. Highly recommended.

Take the Dart out to Howth and walk round Howth Head. Stunning views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Take the Dart out to Howth and walk round Howth Head. Stunning views

Just don't do it in weather like this, especially when windy as it's dangerous and no fun.

Also, nerdy you said, try this then: https://dublin.sciencegallery.com/

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    Just don't do it in weather like this, especially when windy as it's dangerous and no fun.

Also, nerdy you said, try this then: https://dublin.sciencegallery.com/

In really bad weather just walk along Howth harbour. The waves breaking over the top is always dramatic. Watching the fishing boats coming in makes you appreciate the dangers fishermen go through just to keep us fed - for a few minutes anyway.
    I love Howth, shame about the people who love there, but the town has everything! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Comedy club in the international bar is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

In really bad weather just walk along Howth harbour. The waves breaking over the top is always dramatic.
    It should be obvious to all but I'll say it nevertheless, just don't go through if the waves are topping. It's a Darwin Award waiting to happen. I can see the elbow of the pier from mine and the amount of utter morons playing dare is unbelievable. I've seen many have the legs taken from beneath them and one knocked to the lower level.

Better to have drink in O'Connells (formerly the Pier House) and take in the grandstand view from upstairs.
    I love Howth, shame about the people who love there, but the town has everything! ;)

Assuming that's a typo for live, your visa for passing Sutton X has been revoked for life.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Love Kilmainham Goal. Thinking a combined Goal + IMMA trip is on the cards. There's a lovely pub there too - The Patriot's Inn.

I've never been to Howth. This would be a good opportunity, weather permitting. I've also heard that Glendalough is quite beautiful?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm definitely taking him to the Botanic Gardens as we are both philosophy students and Ludwig Wittgenstein used to hang out there.

This looks good: http://www.abbeytheatre.ie/whats_on/event/the-risen-people/ Anyone been?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

+1 on the International for any of their many comedy nights.

Jameson Distillery in Smithfield is always worth a trip.

Perhaps, a trip to Croke Park, you guys could possibly do the Skyline tour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement