Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Lottery Agent with no money

Options
  • 01-01-2014 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Is it against national lottery rules for an agent not to pay out a small prize become they "don't have enough money in the till" ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

How can they pay out if they don't have enough money? :confused: Remember even lottery HQ had to delay paying out that huge EuroMillions win last year because they didn't have enough money at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,441 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ticket states up to €25 or up to €250 with agent's consent. How much did you win OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dwoogle

Ticket states up to €25 or up to €250 with agent's consent. How much did you win OP?

75€

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

They don't have to pay out though it is fairly mean-spirited that they couldn't pay €75. With any sort of a reasonable float it won't often happen that a till is that short of cash but you may have been unlucky enough to come upon it after a slew of other lotto payouts and cashback transactions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

They don't have to pay out though it is fairly mean-spirited that they couldn't pay €75. With any sort of a reasonable float it won't often happen that a till is that short of cash but you may have been unlucky enough to come upon it after a slew of other lotto payouts and cashback transactions.

It's a bank holiday and most businesses would have minimal cash on the property for security reason and custom would be slower than on a normal day. Agents only have to pay out prizes up to €25 as already stated. My local newsagent doesn't pay anything higher than €50.

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's a bank holiday and most businesses would have minimal cash on the property for security reason and custom would be slower than on a normal day. Agents only have to pay out prizes up to €25 as already stated. My local newsagent doesn't pay anything higher than €50.

Agree with all that in principle but I'm sitting in the office of the Centra I manage on a break now and, while not speaking for agents everywhere, I'd be appalled at my staff if they sent a customer away for as small a figure as €75. As I said it can happen and the OP was probably unlucky in terms of timing but it's not a great advertisement for the place he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Agree with all that in principle but I'm sitting in the office of the Centra I manage on a break now and, while not speaking for agents everywhere, I'd be appalled at my staff if they sent a customer away for as small a figure as €75. As I said it can happen and the OP was probably unlucky in terms of timing but it's not a great advertisement for the place he was.

Not all lottery agents are busy centras.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I wouldn't go into a small shop to collect anything higher than €50 myself however if they verified the ticket and wouldn't pay out I would be pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Did they have 75 euro to give you?

For security reasons, cash may be dropped as it comes in, blame robberies for that.

If the ticket says 25 euro payout, then thats all they have to pay out. I am a lottery agent and I pay out any amount I can, it reduces my bank charges. Thats MY consent, I'm the boss, was the boss there at the time?

There is a limit though, and I have to think twice before keeping accessable cash. For all we know, it could be shop policy to secure all excess notes under timelock, and while I dont have a ticket here to check, if it says 25 euro, or more with agents consent, I think you are being a bit crappy complaining about it.

For whatever reason they couldnt, or wouldn't pay out. If its clearly marked on the ticket about limits, you cannot reasonably complain.

• Advertisement

sandin wrote: »
    Not all lottery agents are busy centras.

I couldn't agree more (though sadly I'm not working in a busy Centra anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Play Online instead.. you don't even have to check if you've won, though it's likely you will! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

not as bad as a rehab lottery ticket I got in a birthday card last year and only realised that I had to go back to the same shop 50 miles away to get my free ticket..........needless to say the recycling bin got my ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Miss Mayhem

That's odd. What time did you go into the store? Was it just after opening or just before closing time? If so they might have really not had enough in the till to payout. I've worked in a supermarket before and they only started off with a float of €50 in the tills and around half an hour before closing they went around taking out all the cash from the tills leaving only €50 for the float for the next morning. It was a security policy. Maybe other businesses use the same policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Dwoogle wrote: »
    Is it against national lottery rules for an agent not to pay out a small prize become they "don't have enough money in the till" ?

If they don't have the money what do you expect them to do?

You probably caught them at a bad time. These things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

You can't get blood from a stone.

Advertisement