Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing guns up north

Options
  • 01-01-2014 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi lads I have a friend who recently moved up to Northern Ireland and I'm heading up to him this weekend and we're hoping too do some hunting and I was just wondering can I just throw a rifle and shotgun in the booth and head up or is their more to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

much more to it:

probably best to contact psni

http://www.psni.police.uk/30-38.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Cheers for that lad definitely not worth the effort thanks anyway, it was just a thought anyway I'm not able to sit in a pub all weekend anymore:)
    Ha the tabloids would of had a field day with me "man storms border with assault rifle and other fire arms police say they recovered a .17 & 12g o/u"

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Rifle has has a black stock 5 round clip... Considered Military style weapon :pac: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

brought shotgun in the boot of the car to Monaghan. from Cavan a few years ago. Wad thinking of trading it in for a di fferent gun in a well known firearms dealer in Monaghan. Problem is, the border zig zags a lot near legykelly and a mile or two of road is in the north. was stopped by a joint patrol, and was asked to open the booth. they were looking for fireworks, but got mighty interested in the Mossberg 500 . Showed the P O my licence etc, and was let continue, but advised to return by Cootehill as that road is a completely within the South. Could have been an interesting stay in Enniskillen otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

That particular road is a bit of a headache alright, couple of short stretches through Fermanagh near Leggykelly/Wattlebridge where you need a northern visitor's permit.

• Advertisement

yeah , played a bit of rugby with Cavan, and most away matches were up north. few of our lads were in the Army and in theory they should have got permission to travel across the border. If they wanted to go to Donegal they should have diverted to sligo instead of going by Enniskillen, would have put forty miles of a detour each way on them, to go to the sea side!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

You wont be bringing guns up north this weekend. Takes a while for that paper work to go through. Nekarsulm said the truth about parts or the road are in rep and north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    brought shotgun in the boot of the car to Monaghan. from Cavan a few years ago. Wad thinking of trading it in for a di fferent gun in a well known firearms dealer in Monaghan. Problem is, the border zig zags a lot near legykelly and a mile or two of road is in the north. was stopped by a joint patrol, and was asked to open the booth. they were looking for fireworks, but got mighty interested in the Mossberg 500 . Showed the P O my licence etc, and was let continue, but advised to return by Cootehill as that road is a completely within the South. Could have been an interesting stay in Enniskillen otherwise.
    That was a sound officer you met, if it was the wrong one you wouldn't be coming home for a long time. Areas on that road known as no mans land. Lots of deer around the legakelly :)

She was a looker too!

Course she had 3 of her comrades, plus 3 or 4 army lads to back her up. It was getting a bit crowded around the boot, for asking her for her number :D:D

Moral of the story, the run-up to Halloween/ guy Fawkes is not a time to be messing about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Yeah I think it's ridiculous that their is not some agreement between north and south regarding short term stays cross boarder with licensed sporting guns, what does a lad on the boarder out shooting do where it zig zags.

• Advertisement

he is very carefull while waiting for a flight of ducks! hiding in a ditch with a gun, or firing at a bird while, unknown to you, a patrol is nearby, could have interesting consquences.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

valerossi wrote: »
    Yeah I think it's ridiculous that their is not some agreement between north and south regarding short term stays cross boarder with licensed sporting guns, what does a lad on the boarder out shooting do where it zig zags.

If I lived that near to the border I'd just get an NI visitors permit. It's not that hard to get and the PSNI are very efficient about processing it.

Advertisement