Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

public lighting waterford city

Options
  • 01-01-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Since airtricity took over the maintenance of the public lighting from the esb, the level of service in Waterford at least is very poor.

Driving around the city over Christmas, large stretches of roadway with no lights working is very noticeable : inner ring road/cork road, Dunmore road/passage road, ferrybank dual carriageway/ross road.

Not very good for drivers or pedestrians!

I rang airtricity about the lights on the ring road the week before Christmas and was told it can take 10 working days. Is this good enough considering the city council pay airtricity for the maintenance and upkeep of these these lights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

I noticed this myself. Its very dangerous. Makes it harder to see pedestrians/ cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

floyd333 wrote: »
    I noticed this myself. Its very dangerous. Makes it harder to see pedestrians/ cyclists

It's actually a disgrace. About a kilometre of lighting out in Ferrybank. Another ten lights at Bishopsfied. the old Kilmeaden Road another ten.

The inner Ring Road at Currys out for several weeks.

Light gone for the french Tower at Castle Street.

Reginald's Tower in darkness for the 1100 celebrations. It's endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

It's laughable. Just not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I presumes this was all related to the storms,not a sub contractor issue. Thats crap, Ferrybank and The Dunmore Rd is so much more dangerous with no lights.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I presumes this was all related to the storms,not a sub contractor issue. Thats crap, Ferrybank and The Dunmore Rd is so much more dangerous with no lights.

Some is. The inner ring road is out for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Rather than moan about it why not do something about it?

http://www.airtricitysolutions.com/Content.aspx?key=report-fault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

tonc76 wrote: »

Thank you for sharing the link. I had reported faults on it earlier, and I imagine some of the other "moaners" here had done same. But anyway thank you for you inspiring post it made my day.

dzilla wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing the link. I had reported faults on it earlier, and I imagine some of the other "moaners" here had done same. But anyway thank you for you inspiring post it made my day.

That was directed at a serial moaner on this thread but I'm glad I made your day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Ha ha thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

newport square theres no lights working and same with grange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Marion Park is the same

So highlighting a public safety issue is now "moaning"? Wonderful outlook. FWIW - have you ever TRIED using it?

7upfree wrote: »
    So highlighting a public safety issue is now "moaning"? Wonderful outlook. FWIW - have you ever TRIED using it?

No raising it on a public forum is just moaning. There is a process for raising the issue with Airtricity so why not use that? Have just gone through the process to identify the lights that are not working on the Dunmore Road (as mentioned in post #1) and it was painless.

No doubt you'll moan about the process though :rolleyes:

No raising it on a public forum is just moaning. There is a process for raising the issue with Airtricity so why not use that? Have just gone through the process to identify the lights that are not working on the Dunmore Road (as mentioned in post #1) and it was painless.

No doubt you'll moan about the process though :rolleyes:

I asked you have you tried to do it - as opposed to your own moaning about people raising issues. See can you find Inner Ring Road (around 14 lights out) on that list and get back to me.

I asked you have you tried to do it - as opposed to your own moaning about people raising issues. See can you find Inner Ring Road (around 14 lights out) on that list and get back to me.

It took all of 1 minute ......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

LOL!!

All laughing aside, I have used that service and called them and always got the issues fixed! It might take a couple of weeks or so, and in some cases its outside their control and there waiting on council to do repair work. I'd imagine long stretches of outages are a more complex problem.

The inner ring roud has been faulty for years tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thanks for the link OP, I would never have thought of looking for a private company to report this to.

THe site isn't working at the mo,but I'll report it later.

Just a question,how did you know it was not the council it needed to be reported to?

Ah in fairness hands up to that one! Kudos…...:D

Sully wrote: »

The inner ring roud has been faulty for years tho.

Now Sully - you don't get to laugh very often! So I'll give ya that one as a new Year's present….

The Inner Ring Road failed early December. Ferrybank failed during one of the last storm. The run of ten lights at Bishopsfield (Williamstown) gone for months - with the numbers gone from the poles!

Whatever about a couple of lights failing, over a dozen is unacceptable really. Coming in from Slieverue last week, they appeared to be gone from Belmont as far as the Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Just a quick question, lights such as the plaza/TFM monument/lights in the ground in John Roberts Square and the likes are they also covered by Airtricity of the council?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not related for street lighting in Lemybrien has being out for some time and no sign of works to restore it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Now Sully - you don't get to laugh very often! So I'll give ya that one as new Year's present….

The Inner Ring Road failed early December. Ferrybank failed during one of the last storm.

But the Inner Ring road has been faulty for a long time. I wouldn't expect much done over Christmas!
    The run of ten lights at bishops field (Williamstown) gone for months - with the numbers gone from the poles!

I always assumed they were never wired up. Were they not impacted when the road was improved? With numbers gone, I suspect that's highly likely there not in use!
    Whatever about a couple of lights failing, over a dozen in unacceptable really. Coming in from Slieverue last week, they appeared to be gone from Belmont as far as the Bridge.

But when its several in a row, it points to possibly a bigger issue that the council need to act on. At least, that's what the case was in Tramore.
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not related for street lighting in Lemybrien has being out for some time and no sign of works to restore it.

I suspect the council as its not classed as street lighting.

But the Inner Ring road has been faulty for a long time. I wouldn't expect much done over Christmas!

Why not? This is their responsibility. Should all utilities just shrug their shoulders and cry "it's Christmas"?
    I always assumed they were never wired up. Were they not impacted when the road was improved? With numbers gone, I suspect that's highly likely there not in use!

Assumption. The mother of all fcuk-ups!
    But when its several in a row, it points to possibly a bigger issue that the council need to act on. At least, that's what the case was in Tramore.

What bets me is how local councillors can drive past these every day without raising the issue. Two- if not three - local councillors would drive past that Ring Road section regularly.

But I suppose, as usual, it will take an accident or a fatality to have something done about it.

Sadly.

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Just a quick question, lights such as the plaza/TFM monument/lights in the ground in John Roberts Square and the likes are they also covered by Airtricity of the council?

Possibly the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deisedayo

I noticed a few areas without lights recently.

The folly ,german road , parts of cannon st. Larchville and lisdugan

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Main rd and the German rd have been with out street lights for the last 3 nights rang tonight said someone should be out tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Possibly the Council.

Time for an email so...

Advertisement