Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polytunnels & recent storms

• 01-01-2014 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

How did they fare out folks? Any expensive kites?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭gazahayes

+1 was thinking of putting one up here 60x30 it'd be sheltered enough so I'd be hoping it'd be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

The plastics used now should do 10 years or more. The secret is to patch both inside and out when a pinhole appears, when plastic is dry.

Even with that the sheeting can go even with patching if the wind is strong enough in the right direction.

The last cover lasted 6 years so a cost of 250euro a year so its not the end of the world if it goes after a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

5live wrote: »
    The plastics used now should do 10 years or more. The secret is to patch both inside and out when a pinhole appears, when plastic is dry.

Even with that the sheeting can go even with patching if the wind is strong enough in the right direction.

The last cover lasted 6 years so a cost of 250euro a year so its not the end of the world if it goes after a few years.

PolyDome in Birr used to do a model that was designed for the Aran Islands. Re the patching - you can get special tape from most of the Coops that is designed for polytunnels and is U V resistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

What size is your tunnel 5live, wondering about the cost of cover.

What size is your tunnel 5live, wondering about the cost of cover.
    60x30. Plastic and labour about 1500 euro. That is 2 men for 1 day and all the plastic and fittings stripped off for them to go straight to work.

• Advertisement

60x30. Plastic and labour about 1500 euro. That is 2 men for 1 day and all the plastic and fittings stripped off for them to go straight to work.

Don't answer if you mind me digging but is €1500 not very dear, or am I missing something important.

Was looking at a 50x19 foot tunnel and Googling sites and the cover was coming in much less than that :confused:

Don't answer if you mind me digging but is €1500 not very dear, or am I missing something important.

Was looking at a 50x19 foot tunnel and Googling sites and the cover was coming in much less than that :confused:
    I get the plastic from the company that supplied the tunnel so i know the quality is good. I would say a good proportion of the cost is labour and travel as i am a 4 hour drive from them.

From talking to the guys working on it, it seems they can put up 2 covers a day if they are fairly close together so there is a premium paid for them doing less work also.

I would expect the cover to be on at least 7 years so 200 euro a year in maintainance of the tunnel is the way i look at it. The longer it lasts, the lower the cost.

Also if you are looking at tunnels be sure to find out where the timber is coming from. A friend up the country put one up a few years ago and the timber was rotten after a few years. And compare the guage of the plastic between suppliers also.

I was looking at a tunnel a bit shorter and narrower than yours (50x19), if I read the site correctly the cover comes in at under 300, guaranteed UV protection for 5 years. Not sure what gauge it is, what is good? The structure itself looks very sound, and they have a fastening system can be done with two people.

I supply the timber AFAIK with these so can specify that at the local builders supply.

Advertisement