Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Sherwood

Options
  • 01-01-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

We may as well dedicate a thread to him at this stage.

7 points from 9 so far in the league. CL qualification is by no means off the menu just yet but we'll have some battle to get it. So far we've been playing good football and Liverpool and Everton will certainly be looking anxiously over their shoulders.

Very important to consolidate this victory with a win against Palace. Exactly the type of game we're so used the losing. An early goal would be very nice. Also the small matter of the NLD coming up.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Fair play to him, good start apart from the West Ham sham. Still not convinced he'll get us to where we all want to be, but good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Positives: we have two up top, we are scoring goals, the players look like they enjoy the new freedom. Ade look s like a new signing, I think soldado has been immense linking up the play, reminds me of suarez a few years ago where he did everything bar score, will come good.

Negatives: defensively we looked a shambles, especially the first 20 minutes today, we will always get outnumbered in midfield, still not sure he has a plan B, but feic it, results breed confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Its still very much a honeymoon period after the appointment and long may it continue but the real test will be to see how we bounce back after some poor results down the road..

... Cant believe we are getting away with his MF selection, it was nearly dumb luck that he had to pick Capoue today with Paulinho out.

Anything less then Top 4 and DL will weild the axe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

so far so good, keeping an open mind

like what I'm seeing

Long may it last

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Be interesting when we have everyone back as in Paulinho and Sandro who he will pick in central mid.Add Erikseen,Dembele,Capoue and even Bentelab to the mix and it will test his squad rotation and man management skills.It will also be interesting to see if he can sign someone to improve the squad in jan.
    Like someone else said,He's still in the honeymoon period and he's given the team a boost by playing 2 up front but he does seem like a 1 trick pony tactically,We haven't seen a plan b yet.But he's doing ok by me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

THFC wrote: »
    We may as well dedicate a thread to him at this stage.

7 points from 9 so far in the league. CL qualification is by no means off the menu just yet but we'll have some battle to get it. So far we've been playing good football and Liverpool and Everton will certainly be looking anxiously over their shoulders.

Very important to consolidate this victory with a win against Palace. Exactly the type of game we're so used the losing. An early goal would be very nice. Also the small matter of the NLD coming up.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

10 from 12 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Great start by him and maybe it will all snowball from here.

We are playing very open football, which is great to watch but easy to score against.

Everybody goes on about plan B but it's mainly a myth, not many teams have one and if they do, it's used in desperation.

Football is really not all that tactical a sport. Management is mainly about motivating players and having good instincts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Apart from luckily beating the worst utd in recent memory since timmy has taken over we have been knocked out of two cups, drawn against a ****e WBA at home and beaten stoke and southampton. Overall im really hoping that we have a qualified manger lined up for next season as im predicting that we struggle to get 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Ormus wrote: »
    Football is really not all that tactical a sport. Management is mainly about motivating players and having good instincts.

I couldn't disagree more! Motivation and man management will only get you so far.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more! Motivation and man management will only get you so far.

Fair enough, it's just an opinion.

Football isn't a complex game though. If the forwards aren't firing, you stick on a different striker. If he scores, you're hailed as a tactical genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

mushykeogh wrote: »

Its a combo of them all, very few managers have everything, u need a balance. He will have to learn tactically along the way, 2 upfront away from home isn't going to work against the top teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

It's not really 2 out and out upfront. Ade plays as a roaming 10 in the pocket slash striker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

You could argue that motivating players is the largest part of it, sure Di Matteo won the Champions League by galvanising a disheartened squad. On the other hand he didn't go to the Nou Camp v Barca and play a balls out 442. Naive from Sherwood.

Tim strikes me as a guy who likes to sit at home of an evening and play russian roulette. You win some, you lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Fair enough, it's just an opinion.

Football isn't a complex game though. If the forwards aren't firing, you stick on a different striker. If he scores, you're hailed as a tactical genius.

That is a shockingly simplistic view of the game that is just plain wrong. I, genuinely, do not know if this is a piss-take.

That is a shockingly simplistic view of the game that is just plain wrong. I, genuinely, do not know if this is a piss-take.

I'm serious.

There are some tactics, don't get me wrong now, but most tactics in football are common sense and don't take much learning. Rugby and american football are hugely complex tactical games. Football is not. That's why every man would love a shot at being a football manager.

I'm serious.

There are some tactics, don't get me wrong now, but most tactics in football are common sense and don't take much learning. Rugby and american football are hugely complex tactical games. Football is not. That's why every man would love a shot at being a football manager.
    Some tactics? Wow.. Why isn't Moyes a raging success then? Why is the best club Harry ever managed Spurs? Why is there so many foreign managers in the PL? Arguably the best British manager (Rodgers) is clearly a tactically astute manager.

It's absolutely inarguable that tactics have a huge bearing on what clubs hire what manager, and how successful that manager is. To argue otherwise (and I'm not trying to insult you here) is beyond foolish. Klopp, Mourinho, Capello, Conte, Mourinho, Ancellotti, Mancini, Guardiola, Martino and Wenger all hold the biggest jobs is world football, and they're certainly better than just lucky with their selections.

I'm serious.

With that attitude son, you're halfway there, triffic! Now, go register for your UEFA Pro License and have a quick read of this book, Daniel will interview you after the Palace game :rolleyes::D
    51zYRq9JUZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX342_SY445_CR,0,0,342,445_SH20_OU02_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Rugby and american football are hugely complex tactical games. Football is not.

The above is a direct quote from someone who has not played football.

I'd agree that American Football is the most tactical of the three. Though rugby falls far short of football when it comes to tactics.

Some tactics? Wow.. Why isn't Moyes a raging success then? Why is the best club Harry ever managed Spurs? Why is there so many foreign managers in the PL? Arguably the best British manager (Rodgers) is clearly a tactically astute manager.

It's absolutely inarguable that tactics have a huge bearing on what clubs hire what manager, and how successful that manager is. To argue otherwise (and I'm not trying to insult you here) is beyond foolish. Klopp, Mourinho, Capello, Conte, Mourinho, Ancellotti, Mancini, Guardiola, Martino and Wenger all hold the biggest jobs is world football, and they're certainly better than just lucky with their selections.

The best club Harry has ever managed is Spurs, but they're a top 6 Premiership club. So a man who knows nothing about tactics got one of the top jobs in England.

I'll grant you that some of the names you mention are tactically astute and it does make a difference, particularly given a number of years to implement a footballing philosophy, a la Wenger.

But the likes of Mourinho, Capello, Ancelotti are men who rely on preparation, motivation and good instincts.

The above is a direct quote from someone who has not played football.

I'd agree that American Football is the most tactical of the three. Though rugby falls far short of football when it comes to tactics.

I've played quite a lot of football and I've never seen a tactical detail that my mother wouldn't grasp first time it was explained to her.

Big contrast with Rugby in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I've played quite a lot of football

Do you mind if I ask, at what level?

The reason I ask is.... at underage level, seven-a-side teams will play a 2-3-1 system. When players move to 11-a-side football they are taught the basics of the 11-a-side game i.e. 4-4-2. It's only the players playing in DDSL Premier and Major (apologies, a Dublin schoolboy league reference point is all I have - but it's the highest level) will be taught anything beyond 4-4-2, from about U-13s onwards. There's no point in teaching players at a lower standard any more than that because they're still learning at a basic level.

Tactics isn't just about formations though, it's about how a team, or a certain group of players in a team, approach an opponent in position of the ball. It's so ingrained in the best players at a young age, that it's natural and unspoken of, by the time they're plying their trade in the Premier League (if they are in the 0.01% to make it to that level.)

Do you mind if I ask, at what level?

The reason I ask is.... at underage level, seven-a-side teams will play a 2-3-1 system. When players move to 11-a-side football they are taught the basics of the 11-a-side game i.e. 4-4-2. It's only the players playing in DDSL Premier and Major (apologies, a Dublin schoolboy league reference point is all I have - but it's the highest level) will be taught anything beyond 4-4-2, from about U-13s onwards. There's no point in teaching players at a lower standard any more than that because they're still learning at a basic level.

Tactics isn't just about formations though, it's about how a team, or a certain group of players in a team, approach an opponent in position of the ball. It's so ingrained in the best players at a young age, that it's natural and unspoken of, by the time they're plying their trade in the Premier League (if they are in the 0.01% to make it to that level.)

I don't wanna talk about myself, I played a good bit beyond U13 level though.

But as you say, tactics isn't just about formations. Formations are simple. An under 8 could grasp a 4-2-3-1 formation if he was shown it and then played in it.

You ask why David Moyes is not a success? He got the Man United job. One of the biggest managing jobs in the world.

Fair enough. Though, as point made out, I doubt you played at the highest standard beyond U-13s. This isn't a personal attack at all, I don't know you from Adam, I just think that in order for one to understand the intricate tactics of football they have to have been taught them.

Getting firmly back on topic re: PL managers/tactics.

After everything I said, I firmly believe that football is 85% psychological. If you have two Premier League teams playing (i.e. they're all tactically sound players) it will be the more confident and more motivated team which will win every time.

Saying that though, if you have two Champions League teams playing (i.e. fully confident/motivated and tactically sound) it will be the team which strategically uses it's players to their optimum which will win every time.

Harry Redknapp motivated a decent squad of players. He got them to the highest possible he ever could, 4th, though once he came up against more strategically/tactically prepared teams he never stood a chance. If Harry managed us for 100 years we'd maybe finish higher than 4th once or twice.

It's the same in the Champions League. We could beat weaker teams, but once we came up against equally motivated/confident teams, we got beaten.

I personally thought AVB was the answer. I was proven wrong, because the players lost the confidence they had under Harry. Even now under Sherwood, we're playing with a confidence, even a swagger. Though once we face the big tests, we'll end up finishing 4th at best.

Fair enough. Though, as point made out, I doubt you played at the highest standard beyond U-13s. This isn't a personal attack at all, I don't know you from Adam, I just think that in order for one to understand the intricate tactics of football they have to have been taught them.

Getting firmly back on topic re: PL managers/tactics.

After everything I said, I firmly believe that football is 85% psychological. If you have two Premier League teams playing (i.e. they're all tactically sound players) it will be the more confident and more motivated team which will win every time.

Saying that though, if you have two Champions League teams playing (i.e. fully confident/motivated and tactically sound) it will be the team which strategically uses it's players to their optimum which will win every time.

Harry Redknapp motivated a decent squad of players. He got them to the highest possible he ever could, 4th, though once he came up against more strategically/tactically prepared teams he never stood a chance. If Harry managed us for 100 years we'd maybe finish higher than 4th once or twice.

It's the same in the Champions League. We could beat weaker teams, but once we came up against equally motivated/confident teams, we got beaten.

I personally thought AVB was the answer. I was proven wrong, because the players lost the confidence they had under Harry. Even now under Sherwood, we're playing with a confidence, even a swagger. Though once we face the big tests, we'll end up finishing 4th at best.

It's fine, I don't take it as a personal attack, but I've worked with some good coaches and never came across a tactic which needed to be explained twice. Likewise on TV, I've never heard a footballing expert raise a tactical point which even a child would have trouble understanding. Football is very very basic stuff.

I certainly agree that the Champions League is more tactical than the Premiership. But Harry Redknapp got Spurs to the quarter final of the Champions League. At the first attempt! It was a great achievement. I would have thought Inter and AC Milan were equally motivated and as confident as Spurs.

I don't wanna sound like I'm singing the praises of Redknapp, but he is a prime example of a manager who knows nothing about tactics and yet gets paid millions to manage football clubs.

But as you say, tactics isn't just about formations. Formations are simple. An under 8 could grasp a 4-2-3-1 formation if he was shown it and then played in it.

You ask why David Moyes is not a success? He got the Man United job. One of the biggest managing jobs in the world.

Nonsense, there are numerous footballing books written about the various formation and their effectiveness against other formations. Jose Mourinho has his own personal 'bible' going from reports. You clearly don't have a grasp on these 'simple' tactics yourself if that is your thinking, and I suggest buying one such book and reading it. As for the 4-2-3-1 formation, there are many different variations of it, even with the same personnel. There are also big differences between a 5-4-1 and a 3-1-3-3 even if the same players are used, as clearly evidenced by Bielsa's Chile in the WC 2010, in which he used both formations in the same game. And that's just one example. Tactics play a huge role and not to think so shows a deep misunderstanding of the game. Just because Ireland and Britain are so tactically deprived doesn't mean tactics play any less of a role than motivation.

It's fine, I don't take it as a personal attack, but I've worked with some good coaches and never came across a tactic which needed to be explained twice. Likewise on TV, I've never heard a footballing expert raise a tactical point which even a child would have trouble understanding. Football is very very basic stuff.

I certainly agree that the Champions League is more tactical than the Premiership. But Harry Redknapp got Spurs to the quarter final of the Champions League. At the first attempt! It was a great achievement. I would have thought Inter and AC Milan were equally motivated and as confident as Spurs.

I don't wanna sound like I'm singing the praises of Redknapp, but he is a prime example of a manager who knows nothing about tactics and yet gets paid millions to manage football clubs.
    Just have a read through Zonal Marking, I'm debating this further. I'd just be repeating myself.

Nonsense, there are numerous footballing books written about the various formation and their effectiveness against other formations. Jose Mourinho has his own personal 'bible' going from reports. You clearly don't have a grasp on these 'simple' tactics yourself if that is your thinking, and I suggest buying one such book and reading it. As for the 4-2-3-1 formation, there are many different variations of it, even with the same personnel. There are also big differences between a 5-4-1 and a 3-1-3-3 even if the same players are used, as clearly evidenced by Bielsa's Chile in the WC 2010, in which he used both formations in the same game. And that's just one example. Tactics play a huge role and not to think so shows a deep misunderstanding of the game. Just because Ireland and Britain are so tactically deprived doesn't mean tactics play any less of a role than motivation.

I don't doubt that there are tonnes of weighty tomes on the subject but that doesn't make it rocket science.

Not sure what's notable about Bielsa playing two different formations in one match, I've seen that happen countless times.

Anyway, it's not that I'm saying formations are not important, just that they're not complex.

Just have a read through Zonal Marking, I'm debating this further. I'd just be repeating myself.

Will it explain to me why Harry Redknapp gets paid so much?

Just because Ireland and Britain are so tactically deprived doesn't mean tactics play any less of a role than motivation.

Good point, I still see young teenagers being shouted at to "get rid of it!" from the touchlines by their parents (and some coaches)... A very different method of coaching to that on the continent.

I think anyone can be a good coach but a manager has to have tactical nous which also relies heavily (during a game) on instinct. I will always remember Redknapp after we got beaten 5-2 at the Emirates saying after the game that he knew at half time, when we were 2-0 up, that we'd get beat.

Then you look at Mourinho, 0-0 with half an hour to go v Southampton, makes a double sub, between them they score two goals and an assist, 3-0. Although it's a nice luxury to half Willian and Oscar on the bench;)

Against a stronger motivated opposition all you have is the possibility of a better formation and tactics. That's why Arsenal cruised past us with relative ease on Saturday. Perhaps arguably a stronger team but regardless Wenger had the tactics spot on.

There's a lot in a formation that even the most experienced football pundits don't understand. See below, pundits in awe of the master that was Cruyff.

• Advertisement

Good point, I still see young teenagers being shouted at to "get rid of it!" from the touchlines by their parents (and some coaches)... A very different method of coaching to that on the continent.

I think anyone can be a good coach but a manager has to have tactical nous which also relies heavily (during a game) on instinct. I will always remember Redknapp after we got beaten 5-2 at the Emirates saying after the game that he knew at half time, when we were 2-0 up, that we'd get beat.

Then you look at Mourinho, 0-0 with half an hour to go v Southampton, makes a double sub, between them they score two goals and an assist, 3-0. Although it's a nice luxury to half Willian and Oscar on the bench;)

Against a stronger motivated opposition all you have is the possibility of a better formation and tactics. That's why Arsenal cruised past us with relative ease on Saturday. Perhaps arguably a stronger team but regardless Wenger had the tactics spot on.

There's a lot in a formation that even the most experienced football pundits don't understand. See below, pundits in awe of the master that was Cruyff.

Good instincts, absolutely, I think Fergie got where he was mainly for just going with his gut.

Redknapp did in his hole know Spurs were gonna get beat from 2-0 down. He may have seen signs that a comeback was very possible. Big difference between that and knowing.

Mourinho's substitution worked a treat, but it was common sense. Mata and Schurrle not getting into the game. I'll throw on 2 very talented subs and see if that gives the team some fresh impetus. Plenty of armchair viewers who have never played football in their lives could've had the same idea.

Advertisement