Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Sherwood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Well we might end up with Lambert? That's more up our street. If Levy goes for Moyes, it'll be the cheap option with no compensation coming out of his pockets. Personally, it could be well into the summer before anyone's appointed, papers and blogs will have a field until then.

Jesus unless the manager that Levy wants is managing at the World Cup,there is no excuse to not having a manager in place before the World Cup to allow him extra time to plan for the coming season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hammar wrote: »
    Jesus unless the manager that Levy wants is managing at the World Cup,there is no excuse to not having a manager in place before the World Cup to allow him extra time to plan for the coming season.

ha ha . like thats going to happen

we will get a manager by end of july and have no time to get new players

I was just reading that Pochettino only has one year left on his contract with Southampton.
    That means the buy out surely can't be too steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Well we might end up with Lambert?

What would the resell value be on Lambert in two years? I doubt Levy would sanction it.

In fairness to Levy, he hasn't bought really old players since he only allowed 'Ary to sign Saha and Nelson! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Pochettino took Southampton from being relegation candidates to a comfortable Top 10 team. Beating Liverpool, City and Chelsea along the way.

Imagine what he could do with a decent Top 6 team with more money, a bigger name and a fashionable place to play.

It could work like that but it is taking a big risk. He's a relatively inexperienced manager and his English still appears to be fairly limited.

What I've quoted above could have been applied to Moyes when he got the Utd job. He took a team of relegation strugglers and turned them into a comfortable Top 6 team over a prolonged period. Imagine what he might do with a bigger team with more money, a bigger name and a fashionable place to play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

sherwood to norwich
    moyes to newcastle
    pardew to us

levy-tastic...
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Why has no paper mentioned Laudrup? I wouldn't mind him at all as we can't get Martinez. He would also be free, please note Dan

golfball37 wrote: »
    Why has no paper mentioned Laudrup? I wouldn't mind him at all as we can't get Martinez. He would also be free, please note Dan

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/swansea-sacked-michael-laudrup-phoning-3112286

A definite no for Laudrup,
    Cliques,with some of the Spanish players not talking to the English/British/other nationalities,
    A Dubai training camp where they done more drinking than training,
    Players supposedly complaining about a lack of "training".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Hammar wrote: »
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/swansea-sacked-michael-laudrup-phoning-3112286

A definite no for Laudrup,
    Cliques,with some of the Spanish players not talking to the English/British/other nationalities,
    A Dubai training camp where they done more drinking than training,
    Players supposedly complaining about a lack of "training".

A perfect match. That would suit us right down to the ground:)

watch out he's been at it again...
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/02/tottenham-tim-sherwood-frank-de-boer

Hes nearly on a par with his mate redknapp for being a rent-a-quote at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Sherwood currently boasts a better win percentage than any other Spurs boss in the Premier League era. He was also the only top-flight manager to go through April unbeaten and is looking to continue that fine form at West Ham on Saturday, when Spurs will be without two England internationals.

I got this fact from the same article you put a link to in the above post. I'm not his greatest fan either but how can he have such a good record and the majority including me on this board laugh at the thought of him being made permanent? Is he just lucky with results or something?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

To be fair, Sunderland, Fulham, West Brom and Stoke are the teams that we would expect any manager to be beating. And we didn't even win all those games. And I don't think he should be made permanent because he doesn't have enough experience to coach at this level. You don't start at one of the biggest jobs in English football. It's nothing personal, as i actually still like the guy. He talks crap at times, but give me a manager who doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's all well and good having an unbeaten April but it just started as we were out of the race for 4th. it's an impressive stat but we could and maybe should have been still with in a shout of 4th.

In his defence he's been far from a disaster and I think he is being treated unfairly by the club with them pretty much presenting themselves trying to get See DB.

He's gotten us probably 5th and a couple of extra wins would have had us competing on the last day. Having said all that I don't think he's up to it. I wish him well and I think he'll be a mid table manager and possibly even do quite well for himself but I'd be happier if he was gone next year.

he got nominated because of wins against rubbish teams. His win percentage is based on a small amount of games. He never should have been given an opportunity. He is being treated by the club in a similar way to the way he has treated numerous others in his meteoric rise to the position he currently holds... alot of back stabbing and undermining, no point in him complaining about it as its what he has done on numerous occasions.

Tim's Premier League record with Spurs

Southampton 3-2 Away Win
    West Brom 1-1 Home Draw
    Stoke 3-0 Home Win
    Man U 2-1 Away Win
    Palace 2-0 Home Win
    Swansea 3-1 Away Win
    Man City 5-1 Home Loss
    Hull City 1-1 Away Draw
    Everton 1-0 Home Win
    Newcastle 4-0 Away Win
    Norwich 1-0 Away Loss
    Cardiff 1-0 Home Win
    Chelsea 4-0 Away Loss
    Arsenal 1-0 Home Loss
    Southampton 3-2 Home Win
    Liverpool 4-0 Away Loss
    Sunderland 5-1 Home Win
    West Brom 3-3 Away Draw
    Fulham 3-1 Home Win
    Stoke 1-0 Away Win

Everton,Man U and Newcastle games were good results,but overall he beat the teams which we are far superior to,and we got hammered by the top 4.
    Chelsea,Liverpool,Man City and Arsenal beat us by a combined 14-1 in our 4 games with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

The thing about Tim's 'record' is that, as you've pointed out above, he has beaten teams we'd be expected to beat.

This suggests to me that the calibre of player that we have is good enough to win on their own (a simplistic view, I admit)... but I really think we have a good squad. Just one or two purchases and a manager with a plan and we could be serious challengers next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

He picked a team to win the battle he said, sigurdsson and paulinho ???? Fcuk off you twat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Beaten 3 times against West Ham this season.

That is a bigger embarrassment than any 5-1 or 5-0 defeat to any top 4 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Hatch I completely agree. I missed the first 5 minutes and it took me until the 2Oth minute to see the sygi was playing!

To go away to a sam allardyce team and start with that midfiled shows that he should be nowhere near the bench next year.

The players are playing for you tim yeah????? Kane, Paulinho and Adebayor were all embarrasments for the goals.

Honorable woeful performance mentions would also go to naughton, dawson, rose and lennon.

Pathetic game of football put together by a braindead coach, who despite being incharge of 25 or so games now, looks completely unable to send his team out with anything that even remotely ressembles a gameplan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

irishmover wrote: »
    Beaten 3 times against West Ham this season.

That is a bigger embarrassment than any 5-1 or 5-0 defeat to any top 4 team.
    Yeah it's shameful.you know you're shyte when you lose to them tree times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Beyond a joke at this stage. I'm starting to despise some if the players as much as TS and DL.

Something sseriously rotten amongst the playing staff. We had too many changes in a short space of time last summer but I can see anything short if a major cull this summer too.

A new back four.
    Wingers on both flanks
    Two top quality strikers needed.

Out with all backs. All of them.
    Lennon, out. Siggy out. Townsend out. Chadli and Paulihno - gate. Bentaleb - loan. Kane - not good enough. Ade - get rid. Soldado - sell before end of window unless he starts with 5 or 6 in first 7-8 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Players aren't the problem. If there's no leader (referring to a manager here) there's no hope. Sherwood obviously isn't that. We're one or 2 players away from a top 4 team, let's not over-react because of one bad season.

I think we did buy poorly for what's its worth, but the signings have been made to look a lot worse in what was our worst season since Juande Ramos was at the club.

One or two players away from top 4 ???
    Wish I had your optimism.

One or two players away from top 4 ???
    Wish I had your optimism.

Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge? But to be fair it wouldn't be top 4. It would be going into last game of the season in the title race.

Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge? But to be fair it wouldn't be top 4. It would be going into last game of the season in the title race.

Pool have more than just those two

Gerard and Henderson are better than the mismatch we seem to play in midfield I.e siggy / paulinho etc

Sterling is playing very well also

We are back 4 and a 20 league goal striker short of a top challenge.

With current squad and manager we are 8-10th next season at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

We are back 4 and a 20 league goal striker short of a top challenge.

With current squad and manager we are 8-10th next season at best.

We also have a selection of hopeless wingers with no first touch ball, who can't run to the corner and get the ball in or come central and take on a defender, need to offload

mickman wrote: »
    Pool have more than just those two

Gerard and Henderson are better than the mismatch we seem to play in midfield I.e siggy / paulinho etc

Sterling is playing very well also

They're not really though. Siggy and Paulinho are the perfect match!

They're not really though. Siggy and Paulinho are the perfect match!

Yes but the perfect match for what! To lose games :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I genuinely think we are 1 world class player away from breaking into the top 4. Take Suarez away from Liverpool and they'd struggle big time. Look how far we were away this season and we had our worst season in about 5 years. Swap Suarez for Adebayor, get in a very good manager and all of sudden we'd look a real force. The problem is the only we'll get a world class player is if we develop him, so realistically it's going to take 2-3 very good players, which is unlikely at best.

Totally disagree about a complete squad overhaul. Walker has proven that he's a capable premiership-standard defender (no more though), Lennon along with a good few others have just had rotten seasons, which given the circumstances is somewhat forgivable. Get in a decent LB, a very good CM and a 15-20 goal-a-season striker, along with a manager with a clue, and I think we'd have an excellent team.

Advertisement