Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Sherwood

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Interesting piece.

Sounds like have a bit of a problem with some of the playing squad. Probably no more of a problem then most EPL teams.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Certainly seems like it was Sandro, as he was the most obvious omission from the team from that point onwards. As far as i know, it wasn't due to injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I think it's obvious he was referring to Verts, who got injured then didn't make it back in the team. He's right though, a player has to help a team earn a top 4 place, not give up and wish a transfer to a top 4 club. Tims certainly shown us no disrespect since he left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Interesting piece.

Sounds like have a bit of a problem with some of the playing squad. Probably no more of a problem then most EPL teams.

Sounded ok I thought. He will prob be fine as a mgr in the future but only once he learns to control his rambling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Nothing he said is terribly wrong - the most pertinent point was when you sell someone who scored over 20 goals a season and can probably win you 4-5 games you can't expect to be as successful as you were.
    When you think about it Dempsey also scored a few vital goals too that won games. So essentially we lost, let's say, 15 points (conservative). Add that to 69 and we'd be smack bang in the title race. Ifs, buts , maybes. Every club has 'em. Spurs more than most I dare say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

mickman wrote: »
    Sounded ok I thought. He will prob be fine as a mgr in the future but only once he learns to control his rambling

I honestly don't think he has a future as a manager, not of any note anyway.

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Nothing he said is terribly wrong - the most pertinent point was when you sell someone who scored over 20 goals a season and can probably win you 4-5 games you can't expect to be as successful as you were.
    When you think about it Dempsey also scored a few vital goals too that won games. So essentially we lost, let's say, 15 points (conservative). Add that to 69 and we'd be smack bang in the title race. Ifs, buts , maybes. Every club has 'em. Spurs more than most I dare say.

We only got 72 points last year. You can't just add the number of points you think Bale to our total. It doesn't work like that.

Dempsey was no loss. He was ok and got some important goals, but that doesn't mean we lost the points he won for us last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

That's a fair point but and you're right to a certain degree but I think with Bale in that team with easily get a minimum of 10 more points. Not just form him scoring but from teams afraid to come onto us and us catching them on the break with his pace and power. I think it's a fair assumption with Bale in that team this year we'd have challenged for the title. And that's Sherwood's point. Not Dempsey's biggest fan but he did pop up at opportune times.

Eamo71 wrote: »
    That's a fair point but and you're right to a certain degree but I think with Bale in that team with easily get a minimum of 10 more points. Not just form him scoring but from teams afraid to come onto us and us catching them on the break with his pace and power. I think it's a fair assumption with Bale in that team this year we'd have challenged for the title. And that's Sherwood's point. Not Dempsey's biggest fan but he did pop up at opportune times.

But we did have Bale last year and we didn't get 10 more points. Do you mean if we had him AND the players we signed with his transfer fee? Not that they did much.

• Advertisement

"If the season was to end tomorrow the chairman wouldn't be too happy because we're fifth. The final league position has to meet the expectations of the club otherwise it's 'Goodbye Charlie'. The club need to finish in fourth place. Anything other than that is going to be a disappointment" - Tim Sherwood, January 19th 2014

Sherwood is now saying that 4th was always unrealistic because of losing Bale. And everyone says yeah that makes sense, and assumes that he held this opinion all along. It's hindsight, nothing more.

"It was never the brief when I came into the club that we had to finish in fourth place. What was said to me was 'can we make the team a little bit more attractive and score more goals?' and I think I've ticked that box. How on earth did people think we would be title challengers or even make the top four?" Tim Sherwood, May 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Ormus wrote: »
    But we did have Bale last year and we didn't get 10 more points. Do you mean if we had him AND the players we signed with his transfer fee? Not that they did much.

Looking at it another way, if Adebayor had played in 2012/13 as he has played in 2013/14 then we would definitely have qualified for the CL in 2012/13.

It annoys me when reporters say that Sherwood reversed AVB's "mystifying" exclusion of Ade. AVB played him up front for virtually an entire season and he contributed nothing other than strolling around and being outmuscled by smaller opponents.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Looking at it another way, if Adebayor had played in 2012/13 as he has played in 2013/14 then we would definitely have qualified for the CL in 2012/13.

It annoys me when reporters say that Sherwood reversed AVB's "mystifying" exclusion of Ade. AVB played him up front for virtually an entire season and he contributed nothing other than strolling around and being outmuscled by smaller opponents.

Absolutely, I actually thought AVB gave him too many games, he strolled through them all with a smile, barely broke into a canter.

It was only the following season AVB had finally had enough of him and froze him out.

Then he mysteriously started playing like a man possessed when AVB left.

Advertisement