Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Sherwood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

A win and a draw in the next 2 games (not unlikely) would have us on 44 points from 23 games with both Man U and Man C played twice

Not only would that be a decent return and leave us in a strong position, it would be a similar run rate of points to last year (out highest since the Premier League began).

I think people need to give Sherwood a break and stop waiting for the car crash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Such a typical Spurs fan.

A typical spurs fan quote on boards from yourself, a lot of people on here think their opinion is magically superior to everyone elses!
    We deserved to win all those games and maybe were a little unfortunate not be beat WBA.

Really? I watched the UTD game, thought we were fortunate, should have been down to 10 men, a penlaty against us and we were swamped the second half. Southampton game was enjoyable but we looked poor in defense and midfield, didn't watch WBA but from reading on here it was a pretty poor performance, I watched the palace game and again we were defensively poor and isolated in midfield.
    You have to remember we won those games without Verts, Kaboul, Paulinho, Sandro, Townsend...... Give the manager praise where it is due ffs

I already have , I listed some of the positive aspects of the managers performance earlier in the thread, it doesn't mean I will bury my head in the sand and ignore the fact that we have some pretty glaring flaws in our set up. And when all those players are back il look at how we are playing and make an opinion on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

mushykeogh wrote: »
    A typical spurs fan quote on boards from yourself, a lot of people on here think their opinion is magically superior to everyone elses!

Really? I watched the UTD game, thought we were fortunate, should have been down to 10 men, a penlaty against us and we were swamped the second half. Southampton game was enjoyable but we looked poor in defense and midfield, didn't watch WBA but from reading on here it was a pretty poor performance, I watched the palace game and again we were defensively poor and isolated in midfield.

I already have , I listed some of the positive aspects of the managers performance earlier in the thread, it doesn't mean I will bury my head in the sand and ignore the fact that we have some pretty glaring flaws in our set up. And when all those players are back il look at how we are playing and make an opinion on that.

As Spurs fans WE (me included) tend to look at the glass half empty. We always want something else. When AVB was in charge and boring us to tears we longed for a more expansive approach and more attacking play. Now that we are playing two up front and look more threatening people are complaining that we are too open.
    Mushy your opinion is just as valid as everyone else on here and i did not intend to insult anyone "Typical Spurs fan" is a slight on us as a whole.

As for the games i think you are nit picking. We are playing well, attacking teams, creating chances and scoring. Ok we may not be as solid as before but we cannot have it all. When we get our injured players back we should expect to have a bit more defensive cover. Until then try to enjoy the games and focus on the good rather than trying to expose every flaw of our side. Lots of new players, new manager etc still up in the top 6/7 so keep the chin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Don't me wrong lads I like Sherwood, he seems honest, even if he is just Levy & Baldini's yes man, but some of his interviews are bizarre. I'm not sure if it's naivety, arrogance or stupidity yet. Maybe he'll prove all the doubters wrong but you can't blame people for doubting him when he has no experience as a club manager at any level.

It's stuff like this that just leaves me baffled, maybe he's just waffling under the spotlight, who knows:
    When asked whether he thought he should have played more midfielders to match Wenger's line-up, the Tottenham boss said: "No.

"They outnumbered us in the middle of the park but we outnumbered them out wide. They can't have it all ways. I think we were fine.

"We didn't lose the game because we were outnumbered in the middle of the pitch.

The results have been good, the performances have been hit and miss. He deserves the remainder of the season until Levy says 'off with his head'

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

In fairness, we lost the Arsenal game on the back of two mistakes. For the first Walker was caught out of position (again) while Rose messed up for the second.

I'm not too taken with Sherwood either but at least we look like scoring in games. Much as I wanted AVB to succeed the football was boring me to tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Sherwood is the new John Gregory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25921426

Some interesting stats halfway down the page on the difference between Sherwood and AVB in 2013-14.

Particularly notable is the difference in goals and goals conceded. Also our goals to shots ratio has gone from worst in the league to best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

great little article that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Hatch99 wrote: »

I read this site from time to time, some of it is complete and utter bóllocks. The man hates Sherwood and has a hard on for AVB, which he's entitled too. Tim sure isn't the most articulate in his interviews, but he's at the helm until the end of the season. He brought Ade in from the cold which is something I guess, otherwise we'd still be playing the greaser up front blanking and boring the opposition.

Neither were/are good enough to manage Tottenham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

You'd expect most teams to respond positively after the appointment of a new manager (unless your Fulham, ha) and to be fair to TS he got a good mileage out of his initial 'honeymoon period' in charge. But that's gone now, so now we will see the real TS and what he is made of..

I think he will do alright and we might even finish 5th or 6th but it wont be enough for ENIC and he'll be gone in the summer. Only 4th place can save him.

The season was a write-off the minute AVB was sacked (or possible a few results beforehand) so my expectations were revised from that moment on. I don't hold out much hope for better than 7th/8th anything higher would be a bonus. (is it next season or the one after that winning the EL gets you CL qualification?)

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

You'd have to question how the club is being run. Out of all the players bought only capoue, chiricles and to a lesser extent Eriksen have played anywhere near as level you'd expect. 7 players bought for near enough £100 million and not 1 with premiership experience. Capoue, i thought, looked at good player in the making but now can't get in the team due to a 19 year old, so if that was the case all along, why was he even bought.there's alot of questions need answering from what direction is the club going in, who's signing players and why are we signing them to ticket prices and fans being screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

You'd expect most teams to respond positively after the appointment of a new manager (unless your Fulham, ha) and to be fair to TS he got a good mileage out of his initial 'honeymoon period' in charge. But that's gone now, so now we will see the real TS and what he is made of..

I think he will do alright and we might even finish 5th or 6th but it wont be enough for ENIC and he'll be gone in the summer. Only 4th place can save him.

The season was a write-off the minute AVB was sacked (or possible a few results beforehand) so my expectations were revised from that moment on. I don't hold out much hope for better than 7th/8th anything higher would be a bonus. (is it next season or the one after that winning the EL gets you CL qualification?)

IMO even if we were to finish 4th (and that's a real long shot at the moment) this wouldn't save him.

Levy gave him an 18 month contract and compared to his peers, I wouldn't think Tim is on huge money. So for Daniel to bring in a new manager in the summer and pay Tim the balance of his contract certainly won't break the bank.

Short of winning the PL I think Tim is a dead man walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

This whole thing of starting Bentaleb ahead of Capoué is a joke. It's almost like Tim is saying I can do this with my players. Bentaleb looks like he has talent, but is he better than Capoué now? Is he fcuk. He's doing well however, but I'm looking forward to the return of Sandro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

You'd have to question how the club is being run. Out of all the players bought only capoue, chiricles and to a lesser extent Eriksen have played anywhere near as level you'd expect.

Disagree. Eriksen has been by far the best player we've brought in.

Chiriches is dodgy and has A LOT to learn. I wouldn't expect him to start if Vertonghen and Kaboul are fully fit.

While Capoue has played well. He should be in ahead of Bentaleb all day, but I wouldn't expect Capoue to start if Sandro is fit.

I'd really worry if we got Champions League with Sherwood at the helm. He's a worse tactician than Redknapp.

Could you imagine us going to Bernabeau, playing 4-4-2 with Bentaleb centre mid and probably Harry Kane up front by then! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I'd really worry if we got Champions League with Sherwood at the helm. He's a worse tactician than Redknapp.

Could you imagine us going to Bernabeau, playing 4-4-2 with Bentaleb centre mid and probably Harry Kane up front by then! :eek:

You do realise that Redknapp got us to the quarters, and that we played Madrid at the Bernabeu with 10 men?

I don't find it hard to imagine Bentaleb could one day be good enough to play at the Bernabeu. Might not happen but seems very possible.

Ormus wrote: »
    You do realise that Redknapp got us to the quarters, and that we played Madrid at the Bernabeu with 10 men?

I don't find it hard to imagine Bentaleb could one day be good enough to play at the Bernabeu. Might not happen but seems very possible.

Yes, and I also realise our Gung Ho approach under Sherwood is scarier than our Gung Ho approach under Redknapp.

We could win 3-0 or lose 5-0 against any team in the league. That's exactly how I feel starting our Premier League matches these days.

Bentaleb, as good as he is, is not ready to be starting week-in, week-out. Capoue and Sandro have more experience and strength.

Yes, and I also realise our Gung Ho approach under Sherwood is scarier than our Gung Ho approach under Redknapp.

We could win 3-0 or lose 5-0 against any team in the league. That's exactly how I feel starting our Premier League matches these days.

Bentaleb, as good as he is, is not ready to be starting week-in, week-out. Capoue and Sandro have more experience and strength.

Bentaleb and Dembele both do plenty of defensive work, as does Lennon, so I don't think we're too gung ho. I think we just have a soft defence. Hopefully Kaboul and Verts get back to their best. I love Daws but he's struggled this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

FDB sounds a little too like AVB :)

He's won a lot with Ajax but I wonder if he'd have the same impact as someone like Louis Van Gaal, altough LVG sounds very like AVB again!

It'd be great if we had to choose between them but I'd imagine if LVG was available that Levy would go for him.

SuprSi wrote: »
    FDB sounds a little too like AVB :)

He's won a lot with Ajax but I wonder if he'd have the same impact as someone like Louis Van Gaal, altough LVG sounds very like AVB again!

It'd be great if we had to choose between them but I'd imagine if LVG was available that Levy would go for him.

Yeah anyone with a treble barrelled name is off our shortlist

Seriously though, was AVB really that bad? He was no Magic Juande.

He wasn't bad at all, in fact I didn't really want him gone, but the club has to be very careful to appoint the right type of manager in the summer. I think it's alright for a manager to have a project, and for the club to endorse it, but when the manager himself is a project it's slightly riskier. LVG would bring all his knowledge and experience whereas FDB doesn't have that, so although the long term rewards may be greater, I think the club needs something in the short/medium term and that's where LVG comes in.

He wasn't bad at all, in fact I didn't really want him gone, but the club has to be very careful to appoint the right type of manager in the summer. I think it's alright for a manager to have a project, and for the club to endorse it, but when the manager himself is a project it's slightly riskier. LVG would bring all his knowledge and experience whereas FDB doesn't have that, so although the long term rewards may be greater, I think the club needs something in the short/medium term and that's where LVG comes in.

I'm not sure I believe the LVG rumours. Think he could get himself a bigger gig than Spurs.

I'm not sure I believe the LVG rumours. Think he could get himself a bigger gig than Spurs.

I've no doubt he could, but he has explicitly stated the Premier League as somewhere he'd like to manage, and if he wants that it's not going to be Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or City. It could potentially be Utd though I can't imagine they'll get rid of Moyes after one season, so outside that the next best option is Spurs.

I've no doubt he could, but he has explicitly stated the Premier League as somewhere he'd like to manage, and if he wants that it's not going to be Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or City. It could potentially be Utd though I can't imagine they'll get rid of Moyes after one season, so outside that the next best option is Spurs.

He's unlikely to settle for the next best option though. Plenty of big jobs become available all the time. I guess stranger things have happened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

He's unlikely to settle for the next best option though. Plenty of big jobs become available all the time. I guess stranger things have happened though.

He stated he wants to manage in the EPL or retire after the WC. Would be a great appointment, a manager with serious credential proven over a long career, probably what we should have done in the summer of 2012.

He stated he wants to manage in the EPL or retire after the WC. Would be a great appointment, a manager with serious credential proven over a long career, probably what we should have done in the summer of 2012.

I agree he'd be a top notch appointment. Just think it's not gonna happen. He manages big clubs and big countries.

It's not impossible he'd come to Spurs but it's unlikely.

I agree.

FDB would be a long-term solution, but he most likely won't be given the time needed.

While LVG would be a short-term option. So, from an impact point-of-view and the fact that any new manager will be lucky to get two years, I'd say LVG is the man.

Just so my views are clear. I wanted AVB to work. I'd also prefer FDB, because I want a long-term solution. This chopping and changing is wrecking my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I agree.

FDB would be a long-term solution, but he most likely won't be given the time needed.

While LVG would be a short-term option. So, from an impact point-of-view and the fact that any new manager will be lucky to get two years, I'd say LVG is the man.

Just so my views are clear. I wanted AVB to work. I'd also prefer FDB, because I want a long-term solution. This chopping and changing is wrecking my head.

same here, but that's the problem, what is the plan Mr Levy ?

Advertisement