Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Sherwood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I agree.

FDB would be a long-term solution, but he most likely won't be given the time needed.

While LVG would be a short-term option. So, from an impact point-of-view and the fact that any new manager will be lucky to get two years, I'd say LVG is the man.

Just so my views are clear. I wanted AVB to work. I'd also prefer FDB, because I want a long-term solution. This chopping and changing is wrecking my head.

Not being sarcastic, I'd love a long term manager too but they're almost a fantasy in modern football. Do they even exist anymore? Who's the second longest serving manager in the Premiership, Pardew?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

Ormus wrote: »
    Not being sarcastic, I'd love a long term manager too but they're almost a fantasy in modern football. Do they even exist anymore? Who's the second longest serving manager in the Premiership, Pardew?

I wonder if that's because Mike Elliott gave him an 8 year contract a couple of seasons ago - would cost a fortune to fire him.

For my part I also would like to see FDB but as others have said I'm not sure he would be given the time to succeed - my money's on LVG particularly since Tim recently said that he would not have a problem stepping aside learning from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Daidy2011 wrote: »
    I wonder if that's because Mike Elliott gave him an 8 year contract a couple of seasons ago - would cost a fortune to fire him.

For my part I also would like to see FDB but as others have said I'm not sure he would be given the time to succeed - my money's on LVG particularly since Tim recently said that he would not have a problem stepping aside learning from him.

Did he say that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Did he say that ?

He is reported to have said it in one of his interviews with the press (can't find the article unfortunately :().

I follow Tottenham news on the link below - this is where I saw the article last week.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Tottenham+Hotspur

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

There are 4 outcomes - only 1 to 2 of which Sherwood keeps his job

1. We miss out on top 4 - Sherwood gone as he failed
    2. We get 2nd/3rd/4th place - Sherwood gone as he succeeded but we need a bigger name now that we are Champions League!
    3. We win the Premier League - you cant sack the manager of a team that won their first league in 50+ years.
    4. We win the Europa League - maybe he gets to keep his job but not a certainty...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

slegs wrote: »
    There are 4 outcomes - only 1 to 2 of which Sherwood keeps his job

1. We miss out on top 4 - Sherwood gone as he failed
    2. We get 2nd/3rd/4th place - Sherwood gone as he succeeded but we need a bigger name now that we are Champions League!
    3. We win the Premier League - you cant sack the manager of a team that won their first league in 50+ years.
    4. We win the Europa League - maybe he gets to keep his job but not a certainty...

We win the Europa and the Premier league!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

23 points from a possible 30 since Timmah took over!

yiddo59 wrote: »
    23 points from a possible 30 since Timmah took over!

fair play, great win tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Top of away form aswell.

Wanna see Spurs win go to an away game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Can't deny his points total so far. Also his faith in Bentaleb paid off tonight. Plus we've finally thrashed someone. The team selection did look very odd too, but he got that right.

Might Levy have got this right? Or is this the musings of an elated Spurs fan a few minutes after a 4-0 away win??

• Advertisement

The jury will be out on Sherwood until our last game of the season.

He's doing very well so far though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

The coach of the Italian national side, Cesare Prandelli, will become Tottenham manager for the 2014-2015 season according to reports from Italian paper La Repubblica.
    The 56 year-old, who guided the Azzuri to the Euro 2012 final, will take over at White Hart Lane after the summer's World Cup finals, where he will lead Italy onto the world's biggest footballing stage.

No quotes so most likely bs

http://www.football.co.uk/tottenham_hotspur/cesare_prandelli_to_become_spurs_manager_after_world_cup_rss4611002.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Lots of talk in Twitter that Van Gaal mentioned Tottenham again in an interview this evening when taking about after World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Van Gaal said: "I will definitely not be in charge for the European [Championship qualifying] campaign. I don't know where I will go next, normally I go with my pension, go to live in Portugal, but maybe there will come a new challenge.

"I have said before that a challenge should be a club in the Premier League. That's a challenge. Maybe Tottenham are coming, but first we have to go to Brazil."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/louis-van-gaals-fresh-tottenham-3176328#ixzz2uC0Z68on

I don't really think it's fair on Sherwood that LVG is bringing up going to Spurs every few weeks. Sherwood only took over in December.

I'm sure he must go home every night thinking he'll be out of the job in the Summer no matter what. It can't really help our season.

We do have a decent amount of ****e at our club though. Mostly the English players. Bringing Townsend on ahead of Eriksen pissed me off. Simply showing preference to English in my opinion. Chadli and Townsend ahead of Eriksen is crazy.

irishmover wrote: »
    I don't really think it's fair on Sherwood that LVG is bringing up going to Spurs every few weeks. Sherwood only took over in December.

I'm sure he must go home every night thinking he'll be out of the job in the Summer no matter what. It can't really help our season.

Not many (novice) managers sign an 18month contract believing they'll be in the job for the 'long term'. I'd hazard a guess when AVB was sacked Levy told Tim he would be looking for a new manager in the summer. We all heard Tim jokingly state he wanted a ten year contract etc but think of it from Tim's point of view, in terms of his managerial career.

If he had to leave Spurs to kickstart his managerial career what division would he have had to drop to? If he manages Spurs for six months and does a reasonably good job his stock rises. It's win win for everyone.

Not many (novice) managers sign an 18month contract believing they'll be in the job for the 'long term'. I'd hazard a guess when AVB was sacked Levy told Tim he would be looking for a new manager in the summer. We all heard Tim jokingly state he wanted a ten year contract etc but think of it from Tim's point of view, in terms of his managerial career.

If he had to leave Spurs to kickstart his managerial career what division would he have had to drop to? If he manages Spurs for six months and does a reasonably good job his stock rises. It's win win for everyone.

Yeh that's a good point. It would be win win for everyone involved. Although I don't think Sherwood was joking when he said he'd want a long term contract if he got offered the job. Interim wasn't enough for him (not sure if that's what you meant with 10 years).

I still don't see how it does the club any good having managers talking about taking over a role, that at present is unavailable. I'd like LVG but would appreciate it if he stayed quiet until the summer. I'm sure he wouldn't feel too pleased if he was the current manager and another manager stating their desire to take the role in the summer.

It can go one of two ways. The players perform well under Sherwood to impress LVG for when he takes over. Or, the players play poorly for Sherwood because they know he'll be gone in the summer and a new manager coming in. At present I see it being the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Yeah it's a bit unprofessional and out of synch with the normal way managers have of sticking up for each other.

irishmover wrote: »
    It can go one of two ways. The players perform well under Sherwood to impress LVG for when he takes over. Or, the players play poorly for Sherwood because they know he'll be gone in the summer and a new manager coming in. At present I see it being the latter.

Agreed that LVG should keep his thoughts to himself.

However, I think Sherwood has no excuse. The opportunity to manage a top premier league club (even if it is on an interim basis) is a rare platform for any young manager to launch their career. And speaking of interim managers, Di Matteo & Benitez did alright.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Sherwood said it himself, to stay in the job he needs to qualify for CL. His chances of achieving that is slim. For a newbie he's not doing too bad though.

• Advertisement

Gus Hiddink has announced he will replace Louis Van Gaal as Netherlands manager after the World Cup. Has Levy finally bagged a top manager with a record of winning trophies everywhere he goes?

Sherwood is out of his depth, we need a new manager come the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Van Gaal has always said he was leaving the Dutch job after the world cup anyway so no surprise there.

12 Premier League matches in to his reign now.

8 wins, 2 draws, 2 defeats.

5 clean sheets.

23 goals scored, 12 conceded.

Average of 2.16 points per game.

What do we think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

5 clean sheets.

What do we think?

Inherited a good squad that were due snap back performances. I think he is a good guy but listening to his interviews will tell you how inexperienced he is

• Registered Users Posts: 26,355 ✭✭✭✭noodler

5 clean sheets.

What do we think?

That really is an excellent record.

If Liverpool weren't in such amazing form at the moment then I don't think anyone would be questioning his tenure tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I like him, and he's done decently with us so far, but i still think we need someone more experienced.

noodler wrote: »
    That really is an excellent record.

You've also got to remember 5 of the 12 goals we've conceded were conceded against City. I know that these goals can't be forgotten about, but we played for half a match with ten men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Would Sherwood stay on as no 2 to Van Gaal, it could make for a good transition and continuity

• Advertisement

The record looks good but we haven't really had a very testing period like we're about to have now under Sherwood.

March will tell us exactly where we stand with him as manager.

Advertisement