Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Sherwood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

slegs wrote: »
    Would Sherwood stay on as no 2 to Van Gaal, it could make for a good transition and continuity

That would be a great shout, really hope LVG will be manager come summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

irishmover wrote: »
    The record looks good but we haven't really had a very testing period like we're about to have now under Sherwood.

March will tell us exactly where we stand with him as manager.

To be fair to him Southampton Away, Man United Away, Newcastle Away and Everton Home are good wins in any season by any manager of any team.

Our next period would be tough for any team so I wouldn't hang him on the outcome of that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

slegs wrote: »
    To be fair to him Southampton Away, Man United Away, Newcastle Away and Everton Home are good wins in any season by any manager of any team.

Our next period would be tough for any team so I wouldn't hang him on the outcome of that alone.

I wouldn't necessarily hang him on the results, but we need to perform, we need to defend and attack as a team, we need to play from the first minute, and we need to fight.

Haven't seen much of that this season, either pre-Sherwood or since he took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Sherwood's post match interview being picked apart in this article.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/why-does-tim-sherwood-keep-getting-cut-down-1.1718957?page=1

In my own opinion, Sherwood's interviews, at the best of times, lack an element of class - I highlighted this in a few of his early interviews on one of the Spurs forums that I'm on. Though I agree with some of what he said at the weekend, he's trying to force a reaction from the players - though there is a thin line between a good reaction and a bad reaction.

When most teams go down to ten men they are often harder to play against because the red card galvanises the players and makes each one work 10% harder and their style compacts, almost subconsciously. This is true from under-age upwards. But this galvanisation hasn't seemed to take place in the Spurs team this season. In the three big games City, Liverpool and Chelsea games where we've reduced to ten men, the players all but walked off the pitch after the red card. The level of defeatism was palpable. I think this is what Sherwood is trying to shake out of the players. At least if they don't get angry at each other they might get angry at him and fight for each win in spite of him. As I said, there's a very thin separating a good reaction from a bad reaction, it could all end in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Sherwood's post match interview being picked apart in this article.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/why-does-tim-sherwood-keep-getting-cut-down-1.1718957?page=1

In my own opinion, Sherwood's interviews, at the best of times, lack an element of class - I highlighted this in a few of his early interviews on one of the Spurs forums that I'm on. Though I agree with some of what he said at the weekend, he's trying to force a reaction from the players - though there is a thin line between a good reaction and a bad reaction.

When most teams go down to ten men they are often harder to play against because the red card galvanises the players and makes each one work 10% harder and their style compacts, almost subconsciously. This is true from under-age upwards. But this galvanisation hasn't seemed to take place in the Spurs team this season. In the three big games City, Liverpool and Chelsea games where we've reduced to ten men, the players all but walked off the pitch after the red card. The level of defeatism was palpable. I think this is what Sherwood is trying to shake out of the players. At least if they don't get angry at each other they might get angry at him and fight for each win in spite of him. As I said, there's a very thin separating a good reaction from a bad reaction, it could all end in tears.

Yeah I think you're right. It was a risky strategy and he probably knew it was risky, but decided he had to try something.

Not sure if it was wise. Time might tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Very risky considering the week we have in front of us with Benfica and Arsenal. Win those 2 games and things dont look so bad again. Lose and season is over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Tottenham’s Nabil Bentaleb has his Wikipedia page trolled; Married to Tim Sherwood [Picture]
    Monday, March 10th, 2014
    Feeds: LOLZ Tim Sherwood Tottenham
    Comments
    BiY 1k8IQAAt kd Tottenhams Nabil Bentaleb has his Wikipedia page trolled; Married to Tim Sherwood [Picture]Under new Tottenham manager Nabil Bentaleb has gone from a nobody to one of the first names on the team sheet.

The Algerian youngster is very popular with the new gaffer and Spurs fans are beginning to have enough of it.

His Wikipedia page changed his name from Nabil Bentaleb to Nabil Bentaleb-Sherwood insisting he is the ‘husband of current Spurs gaffer Tim Sherwood’.

We wish them a long and happy future together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

He's talking like a guy who knows he'll be here next year, which is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

We'll see if what he say's has a reaction or falls on deaf ears.

• Advertisement

Yeah the players might not be arsed, knowing he's unlikely to be here next year. I think Tim is going to struggle to get any motivation into them for the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9210399/sandro-reveals-how-tottenham-held-angry-crisis-meeting

Sandro's take on Sherwood's interview. Sounds like the players banded together and discussed among themselves for two hours what's going on. Sandro seems right behind Sherwood.

Just imagine if that one interview (and then speaking his mind to the players aswell) turns out to be a masterstroke and these players step up from giving 20% to 100%. We go on a nice long winning streak started against Benfica and finishing very late in the season. Sherwood would be hailed a genius!

If only.

Atleast the players reacted positively to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9210399/sandro-reveals-how-tottenham-held-angry-crisis-meeting

Sandro's take on Sherwood's interview. Sounds like the players banded together and discussed among themselves for two hours what's going on. Sandro seems right behind Sherwood.

Just imagine if that one interview (and then speaking his mind to the players aswell) turns out to be a masterstroke and these players step up from giving 20% to 100%. We go on a nice long winning streak started against Benfica and finishing very late in the season. Sherwood would be hailed a genius!

If only.

Interesting from Sandro

"For me, to be honest, it helped a lot because now I can go and tell another player, and another player can tell me. The manager likes it. Everyone can go for it now, and I think it will help"

Sandro is the ideal player to shout at players during the match and get them going , he is our roy keane.

Keep him injury free, make him captain and bring some passion back

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

At least that's what the public interview is told. I'm sure there are some players who will have reacted well, and hopefully the team will pull together and stop playing ****. Would be great for us to go out tonight and hammer Benfica, and actually turn up on Sunday.

But we all know some players don't respond to that kind of motivations. We just have to hope we don't have any of those.

Kiith wrote: »
    At least that's what the public interview is told. I'm sure there are some players who will have reacted well, and hopefully the team will pull together and stop playing ****. Would be great for us to go out tonight and hammer Benfica, and actually turn up on Sunday.

But we all know some players don't respond to that kind of motivations. We just have to hope we don't have any of those.

Well that's true. Sandro wouldn't have spoken publicly in a negative way about other players either. We will see against Benfica and Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Feel bad for Tim, the wheels are coming off here

1932450_10153944018535541_1422662258_n.jpg

Seen this on the soccer forum just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

markesmith wrote: »
    Feel bad for Tim, the wheels are coming off here

Why feel bad, its best that he finishes up in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Does anyone else have the feeling that Tim has been very fortunate with fixtures/teams he has played against and it is about to unravel soon!

I officially declare it unravelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

1932450_10153944018535541_1422662258_n.jpg

Seen this on the soccer forum just now.

Being better than Timmy is hardly a recommendation. It's a big like claiming Levy is good cos he's not Sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

mushykeogh wrote: »
    I officially declare it unravelled!

Maybe not the best time to say your were right?

I just feel sad.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Being better than Timmy is hardly a recommendation. It's a big like claiming Levy is good cos he's not Sugar.

It gave me perspective on how poorly Sherwood was doing. In no way am I defending AVB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Maybe not the best time to say your were right?

I just feel sad.

Iv gone past feeling sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

It gave me perspective on how poorly Sherwood was doing. In no way am I defending AVB.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

It crushed me seeing us perform in that manner tonight.

Im not a knee jerk reaction person but that was just awful.

Sherwood has been banging about his trust certain players since he got the job. Tonight we were awful from the start and it took him 75 minutes to make a change.

To me that either shows that he has trusting the wrong players, doesnt no how to tactically change a game or even worse, both.

I dont care if kaboul has only one leg he should be playing every game until the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Get him out of our club as soon as possible, get ghod in for the last 10 games. Then pay the big bucks for van gaal or hiddinck on a contract for next season

Get him out of our club as soon as possible, get ghod in for the last 10 games. Then pay the big bucks for van gaal or hiddinck on a contract for next season

Hiddink is taking over Holland after the WC!

Keno wrote: »
    Looking only at the league it's:

AVB
    16 Games
    1.69 Pts/game
    0.94 Avg scored
    1.31 Avg conceded
    50% Win rate
    31% Loss rate

Sherwood
    13 Games
    2 Pts/game
    1.69 Avg scored
    1.23 Avg conceded
    62% Win rate
    23% Loss rate

Won't take any credit. Was looking for just the league myself but job done for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭LostArt

IF and it's highly likely, the Scum rip us a new one on Sunday

Then I think he'll get the sack

• Advertisement

LostArt wrote: »
    IF and it's highly likely, the Scum rip us a new one on Sunday

Then I think he'll get the sack

I can't imagine that - who'd replace him and for how long? Regardless of what happens this weekend, or for the remainder of the season, Tim will be the manager.

This is Levy's plan and regardless of what happens he has to see it through as getting rid of another manager now would make us even more of a laughing stock. Nothing can happen until after the WC when hopefully we can get LVG

Advertisement