Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle vs Nook

• 01-01-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Asking for advice on behalf of a friend

She is looking at getting an ereader. Doesn't need to be able to sing and dance, but she does have some requirements.
    - Able to read at night ie paperwhite or glolight
    - easy to access a wide range of books

After looking at the Kindle Paperwhite and Nook Glolight, we are completely confused. The Kindle is more expensive - does this mean that it is better quality or that its just more expensive? And will Kindle lock her into Amazon with no option to buy/download elsewhere?
    Finally, she has other family members with Kindles. Will she be able to swap books with them if she has a Nook?

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

glowlight has problems with the screen getting scratched. paperwhite does not.
    kindle has better range of books available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Which works with Irish Libraries?

not sure if that's possible. ebooks to pc yes. not sure about to reader. ring a library and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The Library one works on my Nook and Sonys etc I Don't think it works on Kindles.

I'm not 100% certain if thats still the case though...

to answer another of op's questions you can exchange books using calibre, a free piece of software for windows and other systems. it's pretty easy to use but you need to have a pc and know basic windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

neemish wrote: »
    And will Kindle lock her into Amazon with no option to buy/download elsewhere?
    No, I have bought books (legally) from other retailers and read them on my Kindle. However these were places like Unbound and the Humble eBook Bundle that provide the books without DRM so can be read on any device. Books bought from other sources that do implement DRM (like the Nook store) cannot be read on a kindle.
    neemish wrote: »
    Finally, she has other family members with Kindles. Will she be able to swap books with them if she has a Nook?
    No AFAIK

Note: These are all the "official" answers but Calibre can help sidestep some of the barriers but could be more hassle than it's worth for your friend? Not that Calibre is difficult to use. Just not the "Plug 'n' Play" solution they may be looking for.

Advertisement