Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which crewcab pickup?

• 01-01-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a double cab pickup, so Hi-lux, Mitzi L200, Navara, Ranger, Isuzu Dmax.. Any more?
    I personally like the L200 but am told they're a bit heavy on the old juice..
    Is this true and what are your thoughts on which one of these would be a good buy?
    Also, I want to tax commercially, are there any new rules I should be aware of? I currently have an '03 Vito 110 CDI and an '89 Mk 1 Pajero, both commercials, but I want a newer vehicle and can't afford to keep both, they'll have to go. I have about 4000 to spend.. Five at a stretch.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

I'd proberly go with the hilux or ranger. The L200 (upto 05) Suffer with head problems. Navaras upto 05 suffer with bottom end engine trouble and the newer ones have trouble with flywheels and are absolute sows on diesel.
    I'd be skepital about a DMax as i havent heard much about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Yeah I suffer a bit with head problems meself :D
    Not sure yet, I do still like the L200 but I will look into that, cheers for the info. Don't know much about the Dmax either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I'm a fan of the Rangers, which I have currently and really like. I've had others, but the Rangers easier to live with imo.

I'm a fan of the Rangers, which I have currently and really like. I've had others, but the Rangers easier to live with imo.
    In which case this would look pretty good..http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-ranger-4x4-xlt-2005/6184061

Yeah, the extra cabs nice - same colour as mine as it happens, except mines a 4 door. Nicer to drive than any of the others - just less effort to get around in. Most crewcabs are torture for long drives, I find the ranger grand.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the extra cabs nice - same colour as mine as it happens, except mines a 4 door. Nicer to drive than any of the others - just less effort to get around in. Most crewcabs are torture for long drives, I find the ranger grand.
    I would prefer the four door myself.

There's this one but is she a tad expensive for an '01 reg?
    10 mths DOE and three tax alright. Front wing panel looks a different colour, though can't really tell from pics whether back is different from front, whether it's just the light, or what.. Would have to see it. The other one looked a lot cleaner. Newer I suppose. Seems like a fair bit of money compared, considering its age.

Yeah forget that it's too old. Would want from '03 upwards at least.

Johro wrote: »
    Yeah forget that it's too old. Would want from '03 upwards at least.
    Mines an 03 and has a new engine and doe..considering the recent arrival of an mr2 the missus is getting a bit huffy so there's a damn good chance it might be getting moved on with or without my consent..i'm picking up the skyline tomorrow (currently unbeknowns to my beloved, hah), so things could get very picture and no soundey! :D mine'll be about 2.5k...

Mines an 03 and has a new engine and doe..considering the recent arrival of an mr2 the missus is getting a bit huffy so there's a damn good chance it might be getting moved on with or without my consent..i'm picking up the skyline tomorrow (currently unbeknowns to my beloved, hah), so things could get very picture and no soundey! :D mine'll be about 2.5k...
    Pics?
    Also, what part of the country are you in?

• Advertisement

I'm in kildare, and the skyline landed today - superbad car, verr nice, missus is actually quite smiley about it! My Rangers very clean - not worked and the chap before me dropped in a new motor(what that cost I'd shudder to think, but there you go). I'm gonna bang it up on DD at some stage soonish, I'll throw up a link when it's on. You work ahead anyway, but I would reccommend a Ranger whatever you go for, I've had Hiluxes and an L200 - the ranger is easier on juice and tough as boots. Mazda did a good job on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

I'm in kildare, and the skyline landed today - superbad car, verr nice, missus is actually quite smiley about it! My Rangers very clean - not worked and the chap before me dropped in a new motor(what that cost I'd shudder to think, but there you go). I'm gonna bang it up on DD at some stage soonish, I'll throw up a link when you it's on. You work ahead anyway, but I would reccommend a Ranger whatever you go for, I've had Hiluxes and an L200 - the ranger is easier on juice and tough as boots. Mazda did a good job on them.
    Well I'll definitely check it out, I kinda like the look of them too, keeping my options open. My bro had a skyline, also a 350z.And a canary yellow Celica with all the kit, huge beastly bonnet scoop on that one. Called it Tweety.
    He blew two engines in the skyline, eejit. Anyway, the ranger has a decent rep according to people in the know, so let me know when, cheers

yog1 wrote: »
    Cheers for the link but I don't really want to go up north to look at a jeep, will try a little closer to home. I'm in Wexford. Also it's just a little out of my price range once you convert. Nice jeep though, not bad price for an '07.
    Shame it's white. Stick a pink bow on it and you can use it for weddings :P
    Cheers all the same

By the way what's the deal with all the '03 reg L200's offered for sale? Like, I've seen two that were '05, but the rest all seem to be '03 reg.

Yeah I keep going back to the first link I put up, the Ranger with the extended cab, not a four door though. Very clean looking. Seating in the back not really good enough though. I ferry family members around a fair bit, would prefer proper seats in back. Dear enough too since it doesn't mention DOE.
    We'll see. I'll check out your jeep once it's up, NuckingFacker.

Yeah I keep going back to the first link I put up, the Ranger with the extended cab, not a four door though. Very clean looking. Seating in the back not really good enough though. I ferry family members around a fair bit, would prefer proper seats in back. Dear enough too since it doesn't mention DOE.
    We'll see. I'll check out your jeep once it's up, NuckingFacker.
    A guy I deal with a lot(computer programmer!) has the Ex-cab Ranger since new, an '02 Johro and it's a lovely jeep, hasn't missed a beat but he services it on the fussy side like I do - the only issue is legroom - the seats are fine in the back but if the drivers tall, there's just no room for normal legs.

A guy I deal with a lot(computer programmer!) has the Ex-cab Ranger since new, an '02 Johro and it's a lovely jeep, hasn't missed a beat but he services it on the fussy side like I do - the only issue is legroom - the seats are fine in the back but if the drivers tall, there's just no room for normal legs.
    Well I'm a shortarse, around 5 ft 4 or 5 lol, so passenger legroom behind me won't be an issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If I recall correctly, there were a lot of 4x4's sold on commercial plates around 03, there were some issues with them re VRT, I think quite a few were sold to people who didn't have an "appropriate" use for a commercial 4 x 4, so for a while, the VRT rules got changed, which resulted in a glut for a while to shift them before they couldn't be shifted.

I got an Isuzu crew cab TFS around that time, the predecessor of the DMAX (had a genuine use for it), and put a carryboy hard top on it, and while it's nothing spectacular performance wise, I've had it ever since, 2.5 Turbo diesel, it's done about 130K miles now, and had very little spent on it over the years, and if I don't push too hard on the motorways, (It's been to France and back a couple of times via landbridge, and done a good few UK trips, often well loaded) it will run in the very high 30's miles per gallon, and does 35 to 27 around home, which is a mixture of good A roads, and not do good back lanes, which for the size and weight isn't bad.

The 2.5 turbo engine is one of the few larger diesels that doesn't have a cam belt, which is a help with costs, and the rest of it seems to be pretty solid, I've replaced very little from new, a few suspension bushes, and they're cheap enough, a couple of ball joints on the front, a couple of rear shocks, the shrouds rotted out, a silencer box, and some front CV joint boots, so far, nothing large or expensive. The Dmax isn't much different up to 06. It's still on the original clutch, and while I don't do it very often, I have had a big Ifor Williams twin axle trailer on the back with a couple of tonnes on it without any issues.

In the weather a couple of winters ago, on BF Goodrich AT tyres, it was rock solid on any road, and in snow on the back roads in 4 wheel drive, it brought some fun back to winter driving.

The cabin is a bit basic, there's no A/C, but for what it is, and what I paid for it, and the ongoing operating costs, it's hard to beat. The leg room in the back is tight, and the rear doors are not ideal for getting large items into the back seats, but that's not insurmountable.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

If I recall correctly, there were a lot of 4x4's sold on commercial plates around 03, there were some issues with them re VRT, I think quite a few were sold to people who didn't have an "appropriate" use for a commercial 4 x 4, so for a while, the VRT rules got changed, which resulted in a glut for a while to shift them before they couldn't be shifted.

I got an Isuzu crew cab TFS around that time, the predecessor of the DMAX (had a genuine use for it), and put a carryboy hard top on it, and while it's nothing spectacular performance wise, I've had it ever since, 2.5 Turbo diesel, it's done about 130K miles now, and had very little spent on it over the years, and if I don't push too hard on the motorways, (It's been to France and back a couple of times via landbridge, and done a good few UK trips, often well loaded) it will run in the very high 30's miles per gallon, and does 35 to 27 around home, which is a mixture of good A roads, and not do good back lanes, which for the size and weight isn't bad.

The 2.5 turbo engine is one of the few larger diesels that doesn't have a cam belt, which is a help with costs, and the rest of it seems to be pretty solid, I've replaced very little from new, a few suspension bushes, and they're cheap enough, a couple of ball joints on the front, a couple of rear shocks, the shrouds rotted out, a silencer box, and some front CV joint boots, so far, nothing large or expensive. The Dmax isn't much different up to 06. It's still on the original clutch, and while I don't do it very often, I have had a big Ifor Williams twin axle trailer on the back with a couple of tonnes on it without any issues.

In the weather a couple of winters ago, on BF Goodrich AT tyres, it was rock solid on any road, and in snow on the back roads in 4 wheel drive, it brought some fun back to winter driving.

The cabin is a bit basic, there's no A/C, but for what it is, and what I paid for it, and the ongoing operating costs, it's hard to beat. The leg room in the back is tight, and the rear doors are not ideal for getting large items into the back seats, but that's not insurmountable.
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply, I will check those out also, though there aren't actually that many offered for sale on Done deal, a couple of ads that are two months old or more. May find one locally to have a look at, I see plenty of them on the road.
    I'm in Sth Wexford, and I see mainly L200's, D-max, and the odd Navara round here, with L200 seeming the most popular. That said, there are lots of Dmax's around here too. Not as many Hiluxes as you might expect, I thought they were pretty tough, probably mainly used by farmers round here. I want a combination of durability and comfort really.

• Advertisement

Anyway, at the moment I'm down with a real bad flu or something so I won't be looking at any vehicles in the next few days. F#ckin chest is on fire every time I cough..

Yeah on second thoughts I would really prefer the proper four door cab ranger, they have a good rep, so NuckingFacker if you're still selling let me know and I'll most likely buy.

Yeah on second thoughts I would really prefer the proper four door cab ranger, they have a good rep, so NuckingFacker if you're still selling let me know and I'll most likely buy.
    Yeah, she absolutely hates the skyline :( - "draws too much attention" and she "hates it"..pretty much comprehensively..so she wants her avensis back..so somthing has to give. I'll PM you some pics. Hopefully you'll hate them.. :D

Yeah, she absolutely hates the skyline :( - "draws too much attention" and she "hates it"..pretty much comprehensively..so she wants her avensis back..so somthing has to give. I'll PM you some pics. Hopefully you'll hate them.. :D
    :pac:
    Not likely, I've been checking out the ranger and like I said they got a good rep. Just google '03 ford ranger review, then do the same for '03 (I picked a year that pops up a lot on DD) L200's, Navara's or even Hiluxes. No comparison. Hey I'd only hate it if it was a wreck. If you really don't wanna sell it make it plenty dirty inside and out for the pics :rolleyes:
    Cheers anyway, will have a look and get back to ya once I've seen them.

Not likely, I've been checking out the ranger and like I said they got a good rep. Just google '03 ford ranger review, then do the same for '03 (I picked a year that pops up a lot on DD) L200's, Navara's or even Hiluxes. No comparison. Hey I'd only hate it if it was a wreck. If you really don't wanna sell it make it plenty dirty inside and out for the pics :rolleyes:
    Cheers anyway, will have a look and get back to ya once I've seen them.
    Johro, I polish the damn thing cos it has chrome and shines! There's just a real american look to the Ranger if it's in the right colour and on nice rims(mine is). You don't fancy looking on DD for one, cos I'll probably cry a bit and hide if anyone tries to take it... push comes to shove, I'll probably baulk and refuse to let her make me sell my baby! The row will be worth it I reckon.

Johro, I polish the damn thing cos it has chrome and shines! There's just a real american look to the Ranger if it's in the right colour and on nice rims(mine is). You don't fancy looking on DD for one, cos I'll probably cry a bit and hide if anyone tries to take it... push comes to shove, I'll probably baulk and refuse to let her make me sell my baby! The row will be worth it I reckon.
    Aww..
    Well... You mentioned it first. I do keep checking DD and while I like the one in Wexford with the ex-cab (or King cab I hear they're called) there arenrt actually that many up for sale. I did check out the only other blue four door Ranger on there but I don't really like how all the panels look a different colour blue, whether it was rust or damage a lot has been replaced on it.
    Make up your mind though coz I would really like it, have money to spend, and will definitely look after it. If you like I could send you pics afterwards of your Ranger on the beach, shopping in town for a new car freshener, getting a super soapy wash etc, but.. no this probably isn't helping.
    But yes I'm still checking out DD every day, more than once a day, I guess you'll either sell or you won't but let me know either way soon enough. I'll pay you good money for it in cash.

Look, the best thing you could do is think of a price that'll numb the pain and see if I'll accept, or failing that, don't sell. I don't want to see your tears in my polished chrome mirror as I leave ;)

Look, the best thing you could do is think of a price that'll numb the pain and see if I'll accept, or failing that, don't sell. I don't want to see your tears in my polished chrome mirror as I leave ;)
    ssshhhhuuut up...she's reading this ......and not smiling at me........:D

Stand up for yourself Mrs NuckingFacker.

• Advertisement

She took the hump and took out a new policy on the Avensis - which makes me wonder - her policy is on the MR2 still, so she was starting from scratch as it were, and it was €338.00 full comp... I thought that was crazy cheap, but s'all good. Sadly Johro, that means I live to polish the Ranger another day, but all joking aside, of all the 4*4s I've owned, it's my favorite so far.

She took the hump and took out a new policy on the Avensis - which makes me wonder - her policy is on the MR2 still, so she was starting from scratch as it were, and it was €338.00 full comp... I thought that was crazy cheap, but s'all good. Sadly Johro, that means I live to polish the Ranger another day, but all joking aside, of all the 4*4s I've owned, it's my favorite so far.
    Oh alright then, if you must, lol.
    I think I might have a look at the king cab Ranger tomorrow anyway, it does look lovely and clean and is '05 reg, I would've preferred four door but on the other hand the smaller cab looks kinda tidier and does make the load area bigger. Also it's in wexford and still available, I noticed the guy just renewed the ad. Cheers anyway, it's been emotional haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Here's a mazda, the same as the ranger with a good bit of tax and test.http://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/05-mazda-b2500/6239277

Something about that Mazda I don't like, hard to put my finger on it..
    I like this better http://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/ford-ranger-xlt/6224509 but it's in feckin Galway. The guy said he'd meet me halfway if I was really interested, but then you've half bought it before you even took it for a spin, if you get my drift. He'd be like 'ah look it, I came all this way in good faith blah blah etc'. I would actually buy the one in wexford with the king cab, it's the best looking in the lot, but the missus says no. I'd never hear the ****in end of it. 'Back seats aren't proper seats she says.'
    'I don't like the funny way the doors open' she says. ??
    This is the one http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-ranger-4x4-xlt-2005/6184061
    Nothing feckin wrong with it. '05 reg, clean, decent price. The '05 Mazda is almost a grand dearer. The one in Galway is dearer and an '03.
    I may have to put my foot down.
    Edit: The Galway one does have tax and DOE and brand new tyres, starter, glow plugs, rear shocks and leaf springs, he was originally looking for €4500. This guy is like you NuckingFacker, doesn't even really want to sell it, only he needs a van, hates to see it go but can't afford to keep two on the road. Also I do love the missus, so she may get her proper four door.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Those king cabs look gorgeous when they have a suspension lift, much nicer than a double cab with a lift.

Yeah I don't particularly like the A-bar with spots on the Ranger, the king cab Ranger without the spot bar has a much cleaner line.

• Advertisement

This is becoming a Ranger appreciation thread..

This is becoming a Ranger appreciation thread..
    That's because the Celtics have a soft spot for them..

Ha, f#ck that. Trying to arrange to see both of those Rangers, there aren't any new ads on DD for them. They're a bit thin on the ground. There's a Ford Ranger Forum where people like NuckingFacker can post pics of their beloved and drool over others, discuss best brands of chrome polish.

What am I on about, this is fast becoming the ranger forum. :p
    I gotta say though that from reviews by people who own them it seems a pretty good buy, especially when you compare Ranger reviews to those of the L200, Navara, Hilux. Like, overall four out of five star reviews rather than two or three at best.
    But, if anyone wants to educate me as to the advantages of driving an L200 or Dmax or whatever, I'm still open minded.
    The Dmax does have a rep as being pretty reliable, not seeing any offered for sale though.
    (by the way I do a Leinster search, with some of Munster thrown in. I found the Ranger in Galway coz I was getting desperate at the lack of ads lol, but generally I try to find local)

Quick (free) motorcheck.ie check flags the king cab Ranger in DoneDeal ad as a UK import.
    Should this worry me?

• Advertisement

Quick (free) motorcheck.ie check flags the king cab Ranger in DoneDeal ad as a UK import.
    Should this worry me?
    It should a bit - rust is the achilles heel of these - they're as readily corrodable as anything- and pick-ups rot under the body where salt laden water gets trapped as well as along the chassis legs, under the cab, up the inner wings - they still look good on first appearance but if you delve deeper, meh. It's elevenish years old - I'm not a fan of uk work vehicles that are over 3 years as a rule - they're all rotten or on the verge of being rotten from all the road salt used. The cars are not much better tbh. I've seen freshly imported 4 and five year old bmws etc with the underside in tatters that needed a lot of work to pass an nct and commercials that were just lace.

I'd prefer an Irish yoke tbh - you can replace the bits paddy didn't bother servicing, but rust is a bitch to do anything about.

It should a bit - rust is the achilles heel of these - they're as readily corrodable as anything- and pick-ups rot under the body where salt laden water gets trapped as well as along the chassis legs, under the cab, up the inner wings - they still look good on first appearance but if you delve deeper, meh. It's elevenish years old - I'm not a fan of uk work vehicles that are over 3 years as a rule - they're all y rotten or on the verge of being rotten from all the road salt used. The cars are not much better tbh. I've seen freshly imported 4 and five year old bmws etc with the underside in tatters that needed a lot of work to pass an nct and commercials that were just lace.

I'd prefer an Irish yoke tbh - you can replace the bits paddy didn't bother servicing, but rust is a bitch to do anything about.

Okay, cheers, I'll be sure to give that one a good look over, or rather under, gotta check it out though. I'm actually starting to lean towards the one in Galway, the guy that owns it is genuinely reluctant to sell, he put a lot of new bits and pieces on it, but he needs a lwb van. He shifts bits of furniture to a market in Ennis. Sounds genuine. The guy who's selling the king cab doesn't volunteer much. I want to know why it has no test on it tbh before I even consider having a look, will ring him about that first. Ad says 'no texts'.

Okay, I rang the guy who's selling the king cab, asked about test, he said he did test it but it failed. I had to ask him 'what on' and he said 'just small stuff'. No more info than that.
    Now if I was selling the jeep and it needed 'just small stuff', I would do the small stuff and sell it with a full years test on it at a better price for me . I think he's full of crap, and am forgetting it existed. I've done a deal with the guy who has the four door in Galway, it has test and lots of new parts fitted, the new tyres alone are worth a bit. It has more lights than a Christmas tree, A-bar with spots on front and four spots on roof, LED side lights, I might take those off or I might love them, but UFO sightings are gonna go thru the roof around here lol.
    It's the best buy overall, tax, test, new shocks, leaf springs, bushes, tyres, starter motor, glow plugs etc., and a four door does really make more sense for my needs. Gonna be arriving here tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Give it a good wash and polish ,should come up nice and clean ,good luck with it

It was lovely and clean when I bought it, now it has muck everywhere coz of the weather and the state of the roads. Nice truck though, no rust, drives well. Found a switch on the dash that makes the roof spots light up blue, nice touch. It has yellow LED's along the sides and red ones along the rear. Not that I'm bothered about all the extra bits and pieces but it wouldn't annoy me either, looks alright. She seems pretty good on the juice so far, and she has a great set of new tyres.
    I'll have to check out the 4wd, but needs a nice slippy surface for that. I would like a cover for the loadspace sometime, just a flat cover not a canopy, I think canopies spoil the look of a pickup, looks like a massive station wagon.
    Happy with it anyway, would be nice to have some decent weather so I can give it a proper clean inside and out, but we have rain, rain, and some more feckin rain, and the yard is looking real mucky too. May have to wait a bit. Will post some pics when she's cleaned up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Nice find. Make sure the 4x4 works and you know how before you really need it!

Yeah she's like my old Mk 1 Pajero, you gotta be stationary before you engage four wheel drive, have brake and clutch down, not like the super select in the newer Paj and the L200. And 4wd high only to be used offroad or on snow/ice, never on tarmac, and 4wd low only in serious stuff. No sharp cornering.
    Will take it into a muddy field soon enough and check it out.
    By the way I found a Haynes manual on ebay that covers my truck for €17, including postage, that'll come in real handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Sounds like a typical older 4x4 system before they decided it's easier if the driver doesn't have to think about it :rolleyes: The mechanisms are sometimes seized through lack of use, especially if it's a shiny vehicle that's never been used in anger.

Older Haynes manuals are fine, ones for current vehicles are written on the equivalent of loo roll and with anything slightly complicated it says take it to a dealer :mad: If you look around you can often find downloadable manufacturer's workshop manuals.

101sean wrote: »
    Sounds like a typical older 4x4 system before they decided it's easier if the driver doesn't have to think about it :rolleyes: The mechanisms are sometimes seized through lack of use, especially if it's a shiny vehicle that's never been used in anger.

Older Haynes manuals are fine, ones for current vehicles are written on the equivalent of loo roll and with anything slightly complicated it says take it to a dealer :mad: If you look around you can often find downloadable manufacturer's workshop manuals.
    I can go from 2 high to 4 high while she's moving, I just gotta stop before I go in to 4 low.

• Advertisement
Advertisement