Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arklow information

• 01-01-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I am thinking of starting a business in Arklow. I am trying to find out more information about the Main Street. How safe it is, much crime etc. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FPD

FPD wrote: »
    Hi I am thinking of starting a business in Arklow. I am trying to find out more information about the Main Street. How safe it is, much crime etc. Any help appreciated.

Test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

What kind of business are you thinking about? I think that and the location on the main street are the key factors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

FPD wrote: »
    How safe it is, much crime etc.

Can't say there's a particularly high crime rate. Town hasn't been without its robberies but it's by no means rampant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Majority of robberies would seem to be focused on residential properties anyway. There might be the odd drunken fights on weekends but no-one is kicking in any shopfronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Without being overly negative,
    Sacha was murdered on the street by scum from Clondalkin and the man in Jackers was murdered by Arklow lads, both late at night.

I'd ask the gardaí

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Without being overly negative,
    Sacha was murdered on the street by scum from Clondalkin and the man in Jackers was murdered by Arklow lads, both late at night.

I'd ask the gardaí

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Michelin

As said already depends on type of business, for many years the main street thrived until competition from the shopping centre makes trading opportunites more of a challenge but with regard to safety and crime Its a safe main street.
    Hope you get your business up and running and best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Have the right security and you'll be fine, depending on the type of business shutters would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

A lot of businesses are closing down at the moment, what are you thinking of opening?
    I dont know why carawaystick posted that especially when he starts off ''Without being overly negative''

The ows has definitely had an effect on business and bus eireann has even stopped driving through the town going south which isnt going to help businesses either. Gorey is a much busier town, have you looked there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Michelin

viv2 wrote: »
    A lot of businesses are closing down at the moment, what are you thinking of opening?
    I dont know why carawaystick posted that especially when he starts off ''Without being overly negative''

The ows has definitely had an effect on business and bus eireann has even stopped driving through the town going south which isnt going to help businesses either. Gorey is a much busier town, have you looked there?

I heard this only the other day, Why are bus eireann avoiding the town, is it because of the new one way system? I had noticed a bus eireann negotiating the one way system route one day and thought it looked awkward when the bus negotiated the castlepark section.

• Advertisement

I think the buses are having a problem at laffins lane, the turn there is ridiculous and as for the one at dunnes they have to go into the other lane to get around it but i think i read that the council are going to change the road markings there, not that it will help.

The town has been really lucky so far not to have been flooded (except for a bit at south green) but id love to see what will happen when it floods as the brook, i bet they will have to change the ows back up the street :)

The buses aren't avoiding the town, there's been no service reduction. It's just the Wexford/Waterford bound no longer travel via Main St/Lidl, probably due to southbound one way routing being difficult for coaches to negociate.

As said earlier, I don't really think the town could be said to have a high crime rate, certainly nothing that sets it apart from other towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

if its a convenience store it won't survive anyone remember londis????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

There was a public meeting/vote last night on whether to reverse the ows.. I haven't heard the outcome yet.

There was a public meeting/vote last night on whether to reverse the ows.. I haven't heard the outcome yet.
    Afaik a petition was handed in but wasnt looked as because the other topics ran over time so its another month until it comes up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

viv2 wrote: »
    Afaik a petition was handed in but wasnt looked as because the other topics ran over time so its another month until it comes up again.

Report here.. seems like it was a farce of a meeting anyway :(

http://www.wicklownews.net/2014/01/farcical-council-meeting-sees-one-way-system-survive/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

One way system is great in arklow, don't see what all the fuss is about.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    One way system is great in arklow, don't see what all the fuss is about.

Your one of only a few then. 2000 signatures on that petition against it.

Do you live in the town?
    Have a business there?
    Has it changed the way you shop in the town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It's was a very bad idea and should be reversed. The town is completely empty since it was implimented.

It's was a very bad idea and should be reversed. The town is completely empty since it was implimented.

To be fair it wasn't that full to begin with...

• Advertisement
Advertisement