Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Life Resolutions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

w2d5

30 mins on the bike today and plans for a bit of core work this evening. The weather was too bad for a walk and I have a sore ear so best not to get water in it.

Trying to plan meals an workouts for the week.

Ain't easy but sure it will be worth it in the end I'm sure.

w2d6

C25K week 3 (!) day one. The one with the 2.5 minute run. I had the sweatiest workout to date, if I had eaten dinner I would have lost it, but I felt great after it! I think day two is a repeat and I am looking forward to it.

Also did 15 mins on the bike, breaking 4k!

w2d6

80 x 18 metres. Stressful swim. Lots of kids doing acrobatics.

15 min bike.

Having some logging issues with my apps as I changed my phone. It's annoying. First world problems, eh?!

Anyway!

w2d7

Today I did w3d2 of c25k - a repeat of the last run. Treadmill cut out about 1.2 km in which was a shock so I just moved to the next available one so I had an unexpected rest! But the runs were okay. I had a bit of a sweaty top but I'm not embarrassed about it any more.

I did 10 mins on the bike (instead of the normal 15) and an unexpected swim - just 10 lengths but I did them in under 7 mins.

Week 3, Day 1

Time is FLYING by. Absolutely flying. Soon we will be saying "ah there's a grand auld stretch in the evenings" and we will mean it.

Anyway. Today I did 15 mins on the bike (3.9 km). And hilariously (for others) I tried the cross trainer for the first time. That is an experience and uses entirely different muscles. But I like it and may try to encorporate it into the gym days.

I also had an adventurous swim but did 40 metres in ~32 mins.

I intended weighing myself today but I forgot. I must look into buying a scales.

• Advertisement

W3D2

Stuck to the gym today and was waiting for a lift so I ended up being a bit longer than normal.

30 mins on c25k week 3 day 3 - a 3 minute run!! Chuffed. If someone had said to me this time last month that I'd be able to run non-stop for 3 minutes I would have laughed in their face. 3.01 km too so the speed is increasing.

30 mins on the bike - 7.5 km.

I was going to attempt the cross trainer again but I didn't last long. I did 0.5 km in 6 mins but then my lift arrived.

W3D3

Today was my first challenge. The hungover workout.

I decided that today would be my "rest" day and that I will do my proper swim tomorrow. But I went up to the pool anyway and did a leisurely kilometre with a visit to the steam room.

Feel much better for it.

Hangover was not pleasant though! I had maybe 8 pints so was way way way over my calorie limit. But the extra exercise yesterday and the bit of a swim today brought me down to only being about 100 net calories over. That'll come down today too as I'm having a light dinner.

Was worth it though. Great night.

W3D4

Decided to do my c25k (w4d1) I'm the local park today. Never again! Want to really build up fitness before I venture out of the gym again!! I need to learn to pace myself I think. On the upside, 4.0 km in 38 mins. Getting there, slowly but surely. Maybe in a few weeks I will go back outdoors but for the time being, indoor running for me.

Also did 15 mins on the bike at home.

Calorie intake was ~1300.

W3D5

1km swim
    1km on cross trainer
    3.7km on bike

3 x 5 reps sit ups
    4 x 5 reps girly push ups
    3 x 5 reps squats

Intake: ~ 1400 calories

Aims:
    - Increase swim distance (currently 4 x 10, add in 4 x 6) three times a week
    - Attend a course of swim lessons to work on technique (I cannot use my arms and legs simultaneously; get proper coaching in other strokes; learn how and when to use a float)
    - Start on some core work (floor work three times a week: crunches, push ups, squats, plank, superman, "balancing" on my bum with legs and arms up, squats, lunges and wall stand)
    - Increase protein intake slightly to aid recovery
    - Re-do C25K W4D1 in the gym until I can run for 4 minutes

W3D6

C25K W4D2. I though it would be a repeat and was too far into it to stop when I realised so I kept going and managed to do the entire thing!! I ran for 5 minutes!! Twice. I think my issue on Sunday was pacing. I went too fast.

I also did 15 on the bike.

I didn't want to go to the gym but feel much better for it.

• Advertisement

w3d7

Today was a disappointing workout. I didn't do what I had planned in terms of core work.

My bike was good - best yet I think. I kept it at level 10 for the whole thing.

My swim was good - increased to 50 lengths today.

But my head wasn't really in it.

I weighed myself at the gym and I appear to have put on 1 kg. Which is disappointing to say the least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Great work in getting through today even though your head wasn't in it.

Don't mind the scales for now and go by how you look and how your clothes fit. Or bodies can fluctuate up and down by several pounds day to day due to hormone levels and other factor.

Don't let the scales deter you your doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Don't mind the scales for now and go by how you look and how your clothes fit. Or bodies can fluctuate up and down by several pounds day to day due to hormone levels, time of day and other factors.

siochain wrote: »

Don't mind the scales for now and go by how you look and how your clothes fit. Or bodies can fluctuate up and down by several pounds day to day due to hormone levels, time of day and other factors.

Thanks - will stick with it anyway and see how I get on. I'm enjoying it if nothing else.

I reckon hormones could be a factor today.

I have a stupid question. Should I be increasing my calorie intake? I'm eating ~1500 and exercising ~400-500. Should I be increasing calorie intake to give me ~1500 net?

w4d1

Week four. Jesus. This is a new level for me. Three full weeks of exercise under the belt.

Today was w4d3 on c25k. Two 3 min runs, two 5 min runs, and 2 min rest between. Finished it and could have done more minutes after the 5 so it bodes well for the 6 min run and the next few weeks!

I did 15 mins on the bike.

5 x 5 push ups
    4 x 5 sit ups

2 km walk home

Getting workout program done tomorrow too.

When I get to the elusive 5k I am going to start the 0-10 k app but do it outside rather than in the gym - run to and from the gym. Because I want to be able to run outside and today I couldn't!

And weighed myself again today and have lost 1.5 kg so I suppose weight is just changeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Your scales could also be temperamental. I have to calibrate mine with a kettlebell but it's sometimes a kg out either way. Either way, the number on the scales shouldn't be your guide on how you're doing. Your progress in your running etc should. Fair play.

Your scales could also be temperamental. I have to calibrate mine with a kettlebell but it's sometimes a kg out either way. Either way, the number on the scales shouldn't be your guide on how you're doing. Your progress in your running etc should. Fair play.

Ya I'm trying to keep track of the numbers running (distance, time etc) and use them as a marker :)

w4d2

Was meant to get my fitness assessment and program done today but the instructor called in sick. Instead I did:

- 2 km on cross trainer
    - 4 km on bike
    - 2.16 km swim (120 x 18)

I am pooped but happy.

One negative: I got my first cramp in the water after ~114 lengths so finished up and had some fluids. I had been sipping at squash during the swim but it was a leisurely pace so I probably didn't have as much rest time. Am okay now after some drinks and a snack.

I am looking forward to a blow out this evening.

w4d3

Rest day today.

4 km walk
    40 mins light work on the bike

I acquired 2 x 1.5 kg dumbells so using them on my arms while sitting on the bike.

Can't wait to get back to the gym tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

sullivlo wrote: »
    w4d3

Rest day today.

4 km walk
    40 mins light work on the bike

I acquired 2 x 1.5 kg dumbells so using them on my arms while sitting on the bike.

Can't wait to get back to the gym tomorrow.

Am confused. You're exercising on a rest day?

• Advertisement

CeannRua wrote: »
    Am confused. You're exercising on a rest day?

Yeah. I. Know it contradicts "rest" but it was walk at a leisurely pace and no resistance on the bike. I was feeling bad about what I'd eaten!

It was more "cabin fever" that got me out of the house. And a lack of petrol and needing stuff in the shop.

w4d4

C25K week 5 day 1. Enjoyed it. 6 mins run. No bother!

And 30 mins in the pool playing with my cousin.

w4d5

2 km swim

Didn't have time / energy for anything else! Swimming improving drastically!

w4d6

500 metre swim

3.75 km on bike

3.6 km on c25k w5d2!

Push-ups - 4 x 5 reps
    Sit ups 4 x 6 reps
    Squats 4 x 5
    Superman 30 secs
    Lifty feet 30 secs

w4d7

2 km swim.

Tired after it!

Gym tomorrow evening. Will do similar to yesterday - maybe a bit more. I will be later to the gym though. Trying to find time is getting increasingly difficult as work / life takes over but I'm determined to find the time for 6 trips to the gym / workouts a week.

w5D1

C25k week 5 day 3. Increased speed to 7.2 instead of 7.

3.8 km on bike

Squats
    Push ups
    Sit ups
    Core

Tired. Didn't have a great sleep last night. Groin felt a bit tight after the run. Stretched and it eased out.

Need to properly schedule workouts during the weekend with all the rugby and everything.

w5d2

2 km on the cross trainer
    55 mins of constant swimming - I lost track of the number of lengths, somewhere north of 80.

W5D3

Decided to weigh myself. Down another 1.8 kg!

I did c25k week 6 day 1 today. Two 10 minute runs separated by a 5 minute walk. The first run was grand. The second one hurt. I'll re-do this day a few times I reckon.

4 km on the bike

Floor work:
    - Squats
    - Sit ups
    - Push ups
    - Superman
    - Stretching out groin and calves

w5d4

I had a proper rest day today. I did nothing of note aside from build Lego and watch rugby.

I think it was needed - I had 4 weeks without missing a day of some form of exercise.

Will start fresh tomorrow.

• Advertisement

w5d5

Forgot to update yesterday.

I ran for 15 mins non stop. 15! That's unheard of for me! And in the busy row of treadmills I was the only one running. Smug!

Bike work. I think I'll need to bite the bullet & get my bike out.

And for the first time I didn't enjoy my swim. I couldn't get into a rhythm so I just did ~30 lengths.

Advertisement