Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding

• 01-01-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

So.. The fergus is very high but Ennis hasn't flooded yet... What do we reckon will the work carried out by Wills Bros save us?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Not yet but there is a flooding warning fir Clare. River Fergus is very high at the minute. I think the flooding walls sjou

This may be of use

http://flooding.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I know I saw 😄 just wondering how much faith people have in our brand new flood defences 😀

I think if there is a lot of rain tonight there is no doubt of some flooding in lower lying areas.

Here are two pictures I took around 1pm today. From the below (Pic 1) it looks quite high. I can't see it going over, time will tell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think I saw Mr. G up town today :)

I think I saw Clareman too :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

We should have hugged or something :D

Lahinch has borne the brunt of the latest storm to hit Clare's coast, leading to the most significant flooding event in the county in over four years.

Major damage has been caused to businesses and homes, some of which were evacuated this morning. Clare County Council also says that the Promenade walkways and seawall were 'seriously compromised.' Locals say the damage in Lahinch is the most extensive in memory.

Houses in parts of Quilty have also been damaged, while along Clare's coastline roads and property were damaged by debris washed in from the sea, including in Doonbeg, Doolin, Quilty, Cappa and Carrigaholt. Carrigaholt Post Office was closed for a time earlier today, but has since re-opened.

The Lahinch to Liscannor road is still blocked to traffic, while some bus services in North Clare have been disrupted.

Clare County Council says there is major disruption to water supplies in the Finnevarra, New Quay and Clahane, Liscannor areas of North Clare as a result of storm damage in the area.

The Cliffs of Moher Visitor Centre remains closed today due to high winds, and homeowners in coastal areas are being warned that high spring tides will continue over the coming days.

http://clare.fm/news/extensive-damage-follows-overnight-storm

A lot of damage in Lahinch. Just heard it on RTÉ Radio 1, damage will cost millions to repair apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Mr. G wrote: »
    http://clare.fm/news/extensive-damage-follows-overnight-storm

A lot of damage in Lahinch. Just heard it on RTÉ Radio 1, damage will cost millions to repair apparently.

Quite a mess. http://www.clarechampion.ie/storm-damage-in-pictures-lahinch/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Lahinch SeaWorld closed til further notice; the building itself and the surrounding area have been severely damaged, and high tide expected again tonight. Doolin Pier badly hit too.
    Lahinch: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.640080559386489.1073741828.107478482646702&type=1
    Doolin: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.725096767503118.1073741840.207417015937765&type=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Amazing to see the damage done to the prom in Lahinch, not seen anything like that in 30+ years of going there. Was talking to my dad on the phone, he was just coming out of the off licence at the top of the street and got soaked by a wave ! wasn't too happy.

All the rocks protecting the seafront will probably be scattered about or buried now, replacing all that will cost a lot.

Just saw the story about the rescue of a surfer, can't believe people are so bloody stupid that they allow others to risk their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

growler wrote: »
    Amazing to see the damage done to the prom in Lahinch, not seen anything like that in 30+ years of going there. Was talking to my dad on the phone, he was just coming out of the off licence at the top of the street and got soaked by a wave ! wasn't too happy.

All the rocks protecting the seafront will probably be scattered about or buried now, replacing all that will cost a lot.

The off licence up near the church?

Wow! That's a long way to get soaked by a wave. Things must have been savage there last night.

It's going to cost a small fortune to rectify things, I was up there today and the whole of the prom was cordoned off - plastic tape was from O Looneys across to the Spinnaker. Nobody was allowed down. I saw that one of the pay machines for parking was damaged quite badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

O Looneys surely took a battering? Is it still standing!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

seachto7 wrote: »
    O Looneys surely took a battering? Is it still standing!?

Yep

7gzl.jpg

photo: John Kelly, Clare Champion

http://www.clarechampion.ie/waves-and-weather-wreak-havoc-along-coast/storm-damage-at-lahinch-24/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Looks like O Looneys got off lightly with just the windows driven in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

Great photo of Lahinch last night

1558557_644927268887085_144563596_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]All the fish in seaworld were probably rueing their lost opportunity of a great escape. ;)[/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Mr. G wrote: »
    I think if there is a lot of rain tonight there is no doubt of some flooding in lower lying areas.

Here are two pictures I took around 1pm today. From the below (Pic 1) it looks quite high. I can't see it going over, time will tell.

between half 7 and half 9 will tell alot for ennis , half seven is the next high tide, i doubt looking at them photos that it will be as bad as it was in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

dmc17 wrote: »

i seen that report over the internet and as far as i am aware that is off the mark
    it is very unlikely we will get a red warning given the last storm was only orange which was predicted nearly a week in advance, besides who in there right mind uses the term "blowing a hoollie" other then some american trying to impress us with his irishness!!!!

• Advertisement

i seen that report over the internet and as far as i am aware that is off the mark
    it is very unlikely we will get a red warning given the last storm was only orange which was predicted nearly a week in advance, besides who in there right mind uses the term "blowing a hoollie" other then some american trying to impress us with his irishness!!!!

It's not so much the storm but the size and time of the swell. Met Eireann are also talking about severe winds tomorrow night again into Monday. Tides are still fairly high too. Might be nothing but who knows

My New Years resolution was to walk the prom to O' Brien's bridge and back every day. That won't be on the cards for a while, I guess.

In fairness there were loads of workers up there today cleaning up.

Aineoil wrote: »
    My New Years resolution was to walk the prom to O' Brien's bridge and back every day. That won't be on the cards for a while, I guess.

How convenient :D There's another O' Briensbridge in Clare. Just walk from the prom to there every day :p

How convenient :D There's another O' Briensbridge in Clare. Just walk from the prom to there every day :p

Where is the other O'Brien's Bridge? I'm just a blow in.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

growler wrote: »

Just saw the story about the rescue of a surfer, can't believe people are so bloody stupid that they allow others to risk their lives.
    Bad as it was, I can remember a good 40 years back when Mc Donalds carnival was swept out to sea, the building that houses Seaworld was flooded and the whole prom was upended-it looked like a bomb site. After that they put those boulder defenses in.

Aineoil wrote: »
    Where is the other O'Brien's Bridge? I'm just a blow in.:D

Just on the border with Limerick :)

Bad as it was, I can remember a good 40 years back when Mc Donalds carnival was swept out to sea, the building that houses Seaworld was flooded and the whole prom was upended-it looked like a bomb site. After that they put those boulder defenses in.

I wondered about when those boulders were put in. Thanks for that information.

Was Seaworld a cinema then?

Just on the border with Limerick :)

Mother of the Holy Divine, if I walked that far every day I'd disappear. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

You know i'd say if this was amurica they'd be calling this a hurricane. yet all we call it is strong winds.
    I'd say the caravan parks werent left intact after that.

• Advertisement

I'm Irish and I thought a hoollie was a big party - not that I would use the word myself to describe a big party.

"Blowing a hoollie" ........begorah are ye sure to be sure.

I didn't drive past the caravan parks today, but up by the Centra that's also an off licence (up by the church) there was a big clump of seaweed on the road.

Advertisement