Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Soldering Iron

• 02-01-2014 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

I'm about to bite the bullet and but a new soldering station
    Has anyone used one of these or similar by this brand (Aoyue)
    If so would you recommend them?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121158374795?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I currently use a range of different Antex soldering irons and while they are great irons I need the rework hot air for surface mounted chips and reflowing. trying to replace chips on old boards is a nightmare when only armed with an iron & solder wick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'm about to bite the bullet and but a new soldering station
    Has anyone used one of these or similar by this brand (Aoyue)
    If so would you recommend them?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121158374795?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I currently use a range of different Antec soldering irons and while they are great rions I need the rework hot air for surface mounted chips and reflowing. trying to replace chips on old boards is a nightmare when only armed with an iron & solder wick

Not used that type. But it looks fancy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

It's got loads of buttons and switches
    drool.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Aoyue and Atten (which is the brand I have) are all cheap chinese clones of the Japanese brand Hakko, which is meant to be the dogs bollocks

I have the Atten 936b, and i think it is a very powerful station for the money, think i bought it for about 50 or 60 euro at the time.

It was a serious upgrade over my Antex 25W / 30W iron that I never use anymore.

I never have the dial up more than half way, so its even a bit overkill!

I've never used a rework station personally, Myriddin would have much more experience I'd say, so i can't rate those.

One of the top rated Euopean brands for hobbyists would be Weller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'll take two please :)

waveform wrote: »
    Aoyue and Atten (which is the brand I have) are all cheap chinese clones of the Japanese brand Hakko, which is meant to be the dogs bollocks

I have the Atten 936b, and i think it is a very powerful station for the money, think i bought it for about 50 or 60 euro at the time.

It was a serious upgrade over my Antex 25W / 30W iron that I never use anymore.

I never have the dial up more than half way, so its even a bit overkill!

I've never used a rework station personally, Myriddin would have much more experience I'd say, so i can't rate those.

One of the top rated Euopean brands for hobbyists would be Weller.
    Cheers the Weller iron and rework combi is mental money if I remember correctly, I've read good things about the atten and aoyue but i've never seen one in the flesh or spoke with anyone who's personally used one

• Advertisement

I'd say if you're not willing to pay ridiculous money for the Weller or Hakko stations,
    the Aoyue and Atten stations should suffice.

Have you watched this lengthy review of the Aoyue 968A+?

Will get a look at that in the morning, think I watched it before a while back, thanks
    €150-€200 would be my absolute limit and the hot air rework is a must

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Actually, see the link in my sig? Everything I've done there, and more, has been done with two cheap Antex soldering irons. Never used a soldering station in my life, but as Cathal says, if you're doing a lot of smc work, then an iron is a pain in the backside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Used to use Hakko rework stations in a previous job. Very good. Takes a bit of setting up to get the temperature right to ensure you dont burn the arse of your board and components.

Would love one myself. Cant justify the expense versus usage.

Even if you use an iron to solder a wire to a jamma connector for example, the reflow then makes a nice clean finish and less chance of dry joint imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I ended up buying separate units for hot-air reworking and a soldering station which have the same functions as that one - would have got that one myself if i had seen it for sale :) I'd go for it. Let us know how yea get on!

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Actually, see the link in my sig? Everything I've done there, and more, has been done with two cheap Antex soldering irons. Never used a soldering station in my life, but as Cathal says, if you're doing a lot of smc work, then an iron is a pain in the backside

What kind of wattage were you using?

In that case you must be one smooth operator!

What kind of wattage were you using?

In that case you must be one smooth operator!

10w for the delicate stuff like jtag's & Dreamcast bios replacments, 25 for things like jamma looms etc. Cheap & cheerful does the job, but those rework stations are indeed nice

well?!
    might gopher one of these myself!

I got out of the phone/tablet/laptop repair business and kinda lost the urgent need for this. I do still intend to get rid of all my different Antex irons and buy one eventually though

Just ordered the 968A!
    I just cant handle the **** anymore

Got the Iron last night.
    first impressions were good but I soon found a problem with it :(
    the Iron and smoke extractor were fine but the hot air gun wasnt blowing.
    took it apart and found a pipe was sheared off the air pump.
    Couldnt be arsed sending it back to germany so I just hot glued back on and its fine.

Soldered some pins onto a micro arduino.
    Nice quality tip and the smoke extractor is fantastic.
    The difference that alone makes is insane.

urbanledge wrote: »
    Got the Iron last night.
    first impressions were good but I soon found a problem with it :(
    the Iron and smoke extractor were fine but the hot air gun wasnt blowing.
    took it apart and found a pipe was sheared off the air pump.
    Couldnt be arsed sending it back to germany so I just hot glued back on and its fine.

Soldered some pins onto a micro arduino.
    Nice quality tip and the smoke extractor is fantastic.
    The difference that alone makes is insane.

Good stuff, reckon it'll be an XMas present to myself.
    whats the hot air gun like, I've a few old JAMMA boards I'd like to harvest the components out of:eek:

I didnt try it that much tbh,
    I dont see myself using it a whole lot but as fair as i could tell it blew hot air!

the cheaper ebay options dont come with spare tips/elements so keep that in mind.
    Takes a standard weller tip.
    they do come with various hot air nozzles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hey, am i right in saying the idea behind the hot air thing is run it over a pcb to fix bad solder joints? as in it re-flows the whole board?? or do i have that totally wrong?

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    Hey, am i right in saying the idea behind the hot air thing is run it over a pcb to fix bad solder joints? as in it re-flows the whole board?? or do i have that totally wrong?

That's one example of it's useage yeah, you can also use it to lift chips too without having to desolder each individual leg. Very handy tool, but in the wrong hands it can do damage (overheating components, lifting traces etc)

keithgeo wrote: »
    Exactly.
    Reflow/solder surface mounted chips, reflow dry solder joints. and handy for desoldering chips too

Advertisement