Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tv Box

Options
  • 02-01-2014 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

Looking for an android tv box and with so many of them looking different but being the same inside, I though someone could point me in the right direction. Only things I know I'm looking for is:

Quad core
    Ethernet port

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Popey32

Hi, I presume you one be getting one of these to use as a streamer for something like XBMC, then you should check out this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=153102

It gives a list of peoples experience using some of the different devices. After reading it im going with a raspberry pi instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Although it's a bit dearer, the OUYA (YouTube link) seems to offer so much more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Popey32 wrote: »
    Hi, I presume you one be getting one of these to use as a streamer for something like XBMC, then you should check out this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=153102

It gives a list of peoples experience using some of the different devices. After reading it im going with a raspberry pi instead :)

Yep, love my Raspberry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I always suggest the Minix Neo X7. It's a lovely peace of kit. That or the Ouya but I'd put the OUYA in second place to the M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Got the GBox for Xmas. Very good.....latest films, tv series etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭dubrov

Got the Minix Neo X5 for €70 on Amazon.
    It runs xbmc well as the developer has actually brought out their own edition.

It is well supported which was key for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 muzzled2b

I got this, and it is brilliant
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190923886316

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sdigby

Hi there muzzeled2b.
    Just discovering the exciting new world of XBMC. Watched the video from your link. Does this box do all the things shown in the video? Have you found any problems with it? How fast must your broadband be for it to work properly?

Kind regards, sdigby

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

+1 on the OUYA, I got one just before Christmas, works wireless, ( also has a mini usb and an ethernet connection) set up was simple.

P.S. its not just for games, google XBMC, Navi-X and Ouya for what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 muzzled2b

yeap sdigby it did everything i wanted it for anyways, the xbmc is great, but those guys have customised it and then update as needed
    I've only used it on fibre internet, some of the streams are 2Mbps for HD sports

any problems i've ever had where solved when i upgrade the device with the app supplied
    so far, a solid buy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭3206jake

How are ye finding yer boxes lads ???

Thinking about getting one,mainly for live tv like sports

G Box working great.

garroff wrote: »
    G Box working great.

are u getting sports on it ?? what internet speed are you running ?

2MB...Getting all sports

2MB...Getting all sports

I have like 10MB,was yours all preloaded with sports devil and the likes ?

no but easy to install

no but easy to install

That's good to know,cause I seen a differnt box for £110 preloaded and one not preloaded for £50

Have you ever tried other ones,do u get much lag watching football ?

with 2MB ....some lag....but its free and I get all the latest movies...tv series etc.
    I think its fantastic.

with 2MB ....some lag....but its free and I get all the latest movies...tv series etc.
    I think its fantastic.

I only wanted for BT but thinking if getting rid of most of my sky package

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

I got my android box there last week.The box only requires 2mb broadband to operate.
    When I switch over to BT Sports 1 or 2 to watch the footie,it comes up for about 3 seconds and then it buffers like crazy so I cant actually watch the football or BT Sports.
    Sky Sports will work no problem but BT Sports wont play propperly.
    Any ideas?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

jpb14 wrote: »
    I got my android box there last week.The box only requires 2mb broadband to operate.
    When I switch over to BT Sports 1 or 2 to watch the footie,it comes up for about 3 seconds and then it buffers like crazy so I cant actually watch the football or BT Sports.
    Sky Sports will work no problem but BT Sports wont play propperly.
    Any ideas?:confused:

Where did you get it, and was it fully 'loaded' when you bought it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

What add on, and then link are you guys generally using to watch your games, and which speed do ye pick? Struggling to find anything that works above 202mps

What add on, and then link are you guys generally using to watch your games, and which speed do ye pick? Struggling to find anything that works above 202mps

Mash Sports or I-Stream

eamonnq wrote: »
    Where did you get it, and was it fully 'loaded' when you bought it ?
    Yep came fully loaded,bought it here in Ireland from an agent for dreamboxes.I can watch everything else fine,normal channels,movies.
    The only one that keeps buffering like crazy is the BT Sports 1 and BT Sports 2.Both links for BT Sports buffer like crazy.:(
    I hardwired my house for the dreambox and installed Cat6 throughout the house at each TV location,all wired back to a central location and main house PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

can anyone recommend a good android tv box to buy, i want to get one to watch all the football on it and films. My head is totally fried going through all the different ones online! I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

bri007 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a good android tv box to buy, i want to get one to watch all the football on it and films. My head is totally fried going through all the different ones online! I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me, thanks :)

Same here, have been on the look out for one of them and can't make up my mind...

Have zeroed in on 4 of them...

1. MiniX Neo 7 - have gone through the reviews and it seems to be decent. Spec wise it's quad-core and 16GB memory and most of all you can get XBMC and other apps from play store, I think it's running Jelly Bean 4.2.2

2. Ouya - It's mostly for games, but you can get XBMC and Netflix etc, downside you won't have access to play store

3. Rasberry Pi- I like it but can't be bothered with clocking and all that, I want something out of the box.

4. Roku - Even though It's decent, you can't get XBMC on it and no access to play store either. so you'll be stuck with whatever apps they've. Only Netflix and plex are the useful ones.

I think I'll go with MiniX, any more suggestions folks...:D

Thanks for the info :)

I will check out the miniX neo 7 and see what it's like,I want to order one this weekend. Once all the apps are pre installed and it's a decent enough I think il go with that one.

Same here, have been on the look out for one of them and can't make up my mind...

1. MiniX Neo 7 - have gone through the reviews and it seems to be decent. Spec wise it's quad-core and 16GB memory and most of all you can get XBMC and other apps from play store, I think it's running Jelly Bean 4.2.2

2. Ouya - It's mostly for games, but you can get XBMC and Netflix etc, downside you won't have access to play store

3. Rasberry Pi- I like it but can't be bothered with clocking and all that, I want something out of the box.

4. Roku - Even though It's decent, you can't get XBMC on it and no access to play store either. so you'll be stuck with whatever apps they've. Only Netflix and plex are the useful ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Raspberyy Pi works straight out of the box for me. No overclocking, just copy the image to the SD card and good to go.
    no fan so dead quiet, works through most modern TV remotes, plays all formats, runs XBMC and its tiny. Gets my vote everytime

Do you have to download apps first on order to view films and sports etc on the that one? Or is it all pre installed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

bri007 wrote: »
    Do you have to download apps first on order to view films and sports etc on the that one? Or is it all pre installed

Which one? MiniX is it...yes you've to download XBMC and other apps from playstore...

there's other pre-installed one's too but I wasn't convinced with them.

Advertisement