Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

plumbing course

• 02-01-2014 1:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭

hi all... im interested in getting some plumbing experience and would love to be able to complete a domestic house apt or so.. ive no idea where to start.. r there private courses available..? I work shift work so evening courses along with some practical exp would be great just to get a taste for it...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

rambojon wrote: »
    hi all... im interested in getting some plumbing experience and would love to be able to complete a domestic house apt or so.. ive no idea where to start.. r there private courses available..? I work shift work so evening courses along with some practical exp would be great just to get a taste for it...

The course is called an aprenticeship and it's 4 years full-time . It's a career , not a hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

jacksie66 wrote: »
    +1 for this. It takes more than a few hours course to become a plumber. I've been plumbing for over 10 years and I still have lots to learn..

+2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭gifted

Egass13 wrote: »
    The course is called an aprenticeship and it's 4 years full-time . It's a career , not a hobby.

It's a calling from God :D....who else would want to do it?..Talking to pipes all day and then waking up the next day and doing the same again :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

gifted wrote: »
    It's a calling from God :D....who else would want to do it?..Talking to pipes all day and then waking up the next day and doing the same again :cool:

Calling from god !!!
    Pipes talking to you. !!!
    You talking to pipes !!!

All my boilers make music like cash regesters.
    There singing when I'm finished.
    But they defenatly don't talk, !!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

scudo2 wrote: »
    Calling from god !!!
    You talking to pipes !!!

Pipes don't talk back yet Scudo..but when they do then I reckon it's time to quit the game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

gifted wrote: »
    Pipes don't talk back yet Scudo..but when they do then I reckon it's time to quit the game :D

When your dreaming about boilers it's time to take a break , when pipes start talking to you it's time to check yourself in ! Plumbing is for life , not just for christmas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

scudo2 wrote: »
    Calling from god !!!
    You talking to pipes !!!

When printing out the fga in front of a customer and they ask what it is I always say it's your bill, gets a good laugh and breaks the ice before actually hitting them with the bill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

When printing out the fga in front of a customer and they ask what it is I always say it's your bill, gets a good laugh and breaks the ice before actually hitting them with the bill!

good one jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

My apprenticeship took me six years due to the down turn but well worth doing and like the job I oonly qualified a few months ago

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

thanks for all the help guys...so apart from committing to a lifetime calling.. there is no way I could get a feel for it to see if it would be for me....?I m not looking to plumb the country . just a short term course to see wats involved. thanks in advance. rambojon.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

thanks for all the help guys...so apart from committing to a lifetime calling.. there is no way I could get a feel for it to see if it would be for me....?I m not looking to plumb the country . just a short term course to see wats involved. thanks in advance. rambojon.

Check your local secondary schools to see if they might have night classes that might suit.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

So what, I spent 4 years in sixth class and look at me now.

A short term course would not even scratch the surface of whats involved in becoming a Plumber nowadays, apart from the variety of practical skills that is required and have to be mastered there is the extensive theoretical side of plumbing and heating. The basics of both the Practical and Theoretical are learned during a 4 year apprenticeship and are further developed through separate extra courses and on site experience (learning from mistakes and watching experienced tradesmen)

If you are really interested in pursuing a career as a Plumber, ask a local plumber can you work for him free of charge to see if you are cut out for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Check out places that do night courses. They do some DIY plumbing courses so you can maybe change a tap washer at home or fix a toilet seat. They're not designed for you to go out on your own as a plumber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Sure all you need to do is a 12 day course and you can work on boilers, potential bombs in the wrong hands.

Can't blame the op for asking when this is what people are been told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

O.P. Pity most of the plumbers out there didn't do a course too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

ligertigon wrote: »
    you pay peanuts you get monkeys ;-)

The real pity is so many are willing to let them work in their homes because their cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

metac do a basic plumbing course ,is that what you are after ?

Basic Plumbing Course

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Course Duration: 4 weeks, 1 evening per week X 2 hour class Cost:€100

http://metac.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/hobby-course-descriptions-autumn-2013.pdf
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I often wonder if these people looking to do a basic course have actually weighed up the cost of tools and equipment and set up cost before dishing out for the basics.

I don't think these courses are aimed at setting yourself up as a plumber just for the diy'er , instead of reading the readers digest for basic plumbing skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

I wonder if their water meter course would be useful for employment?

I wonder if their water meter course would be useful for employment?

don't think so , it seems to be a closed shop .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

For what it's worth, the prospectus for the course is classifying it as a "hobby" course, whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

it means its non professional , for a hobby , an amateur persuit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

anuprising wrote: »
    metac do a basic plumbing course ,is that what you are after ?

Basic Plumbing Course

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Course Duration: 4 weeks, 1 evening per week X 2 hour class Cost:€100

http://metac.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/hobby-course-descriptions-autumn-2013.pdf
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Thanks a mill.. This is just wat I was looking for... P.s... You've been very helpful unlike most donkeys on here.. Regards rambojon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

P.s... You've been very helpful unlike most donkeys on here.. Regards rambojon.

It would take a real Ass to think they can take on an Apartment after 8hrs of "training", good luck with that!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

You've been very helpful unlike most donkeys on here.. Regards rambojon.

Nice.... Let's hope you won't ever need them/us hee hawing at you in the future so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

I suppose a bit of encouragement would have been too hard to muster............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

oikster wrote: »
    I suppose a bit of encouragement would have been too hard to muster............
    Give me a carrot & I will.....

Advertisement