Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So many undesireables around Dublin 2 these days;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Week off!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Destroying a pulled pork burrito at my desk before going on the sauce :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Went out to my car this morning, sat into the drivers seat...
    Noticed the glove box open...
    Then noticed a plastic glove on the passenger seat...
    Not mine...
    'Hmm...I wonder what has become of my Ipod and the book for my car I pondered..'
    Theiving <insert obscenities here>.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That's a balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

That's sh1t.

Forgive my ignorance, but why would they steal the book for your car?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

FA Cup final or Barca v Atletico????:confused:

Its Sunday and I've been up since half seven.
    This is new.
    Happy Sunday!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Panthro wrote: »
    Its Sunday and I've been up since half seven.
    This is new.
    Happy Sunday!

Been up since 9.30, no idea why I woke up so early, so decided to make the most of the sun, only there wasn't any.. :mad:

Then I decided to clean my place and begin that long overdue clearout of crap I've been promising myself to do for a long time now.

Soooo here I am sitting taking a break with a cuppa surrounded by a huge pile of crap and the place looks worse than before I started :confused::confused::confused:

Think I under estimated how much junk I have acquired :cool::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Got my new vehicle - like a child with the thing, very quick and really comfy :D

That new lazyboy recliner I got came in handy today after heading out last night! Watched 50/50 for about the 15th time - love that movie!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

D'Agger wrote: »
    Got my new vehicle - like a child with the thing, very quick and really comfy :D

That new lazyboy recliner I got came in handy today after heading out last night! Watched 50/50 for about the 15th time - love that movie!!

C'mon, what ya get?? Don't keep us in suspense!!

I guess Golf or a Focus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

il_570xN.521189777_lv5g.jpg

2783625861_35f7a7b7c7.jpg

Bit of an upgrade on this, eh? :pac:

Slattsy wrote: »
    I guess Golf or a Focus.

Had a focus saloon, upgraded to a pessat cc, it's been a major upgrade :D

Lovely motor. Good choice.
    Hope she goes well for ya.

Congrats on the new wheels, you dirty D'Agg!:pac:

Had a focus saloon, upgraded to a pessat cc, it's been a major upgrade :D

Ohhh nice set of wheels.. Think pics are required.

Jeez they are obviously paying you too much.. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Amsterdam, here we go!
    :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Awesome weekend. Winning the FA Cup after 9 years really was special.

• Advertisement

Ha, you must have been in shock after 8 minutes

It wasn't the first time that's happened this season, so I wasn't entirely surprised.

I still expected them to come back from it though, but you never know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ahh, nice! I don't know the conversational protocol for a new car, but I'm gonna go with, "Congrats" :D

Also, still have to watch 50/50. On my to-do list for sure.

Watched the BBC Sherlock series recently. Really enjoyed it.

Knex. wrote: »
    Ahh, nice! I don't know the conversational protocol for a new car, but I'm gonna go with, "Congrats" :D

Also, still have to watch 50/50. On my to-do list for sure.

Cheers - myself and my buddies were talking about the 'well wear' comment that gets banded about - I swear I had never heard it until I was about 22 and now I hear it all the time....which brings me to an interesting theory/concept I came across yesterday: The Baader-Meinhof phenomenon

Here & here

I recently watched Sherlock too - brilliant show, the casting is brilliant - particularly enjoy Mycroft!

Watch 50-50, pretty sure it's my favourite movie, has everything - including Anna Kendrick :)

Never heard of the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, but reading up on it, its something I had thought about before as a concept.

Always assumed it was just your brain being on more of a high alert mode for whatever the new thing is. Nice to have it backed up with some proper words and research though :D

Never heard of the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, but reading up on it, its something I had thought about before as a concept.

Always assumed it was just your brain being on more of a high alert mode for whatever the new thing is. Nice to have it backed up with some proper words and research though :D
    I'm glad I just have a name to put against that feeling/phenomenon :)

That youtube channel Stuff you should know is pretty handy I have to say - been listening to their podcasts lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Love that show!

Interesting read re: that phenomenon, D'aggs. Congrats on the wheels!

Back to my desk after a week travelling in America on business. Drowning in emails :(

Hermione* wrote: »
    Love that show!

Interesting read re: that phenomenon, D'aggs. Congrats on the wheels!

Back to my desk after a week travelling in America on business. Drowning in emails :(
    Ah emails after time off....nothing like speed reading them and deleting them over the course of an hour :D

What parts of the States did you travel to Hermione?

Ctrl + A + Delete.

Emails sorted :D

Side note: People who put in mail read receipts should be burned at the stake.

Ctrl + A + Delete.

Emails sorted :D

Side note: People who put in mail read receipts should be burned at the stake.
    You should look up a batch file that disables it and email it to them....they'll double click it and nothing will happen.....or will it? :pac:

You should look up a batch file that disables it and email it to them....they'll double click it and nothing will happen.....or will it? :pac:

In college I wrote a few batch files to annoy some of mates. Had them saved on a USB and when people left their comps free, game time started. My favourite was one that opened and closed their CD drive intermittently.

Drove them mental during project times :pac:

I'm far too easily amused... :o

• Advertisement

In college I wrote a few batch files to annoy some of mates. Had them saved on a USB and when people left their comps free, game time started. My favourite was one that opened and closed their CD drive intermittently.

Drove them mental during project times :pac:

I'm far too easily amused... :o
    One of the lads at work keeps doing that to networked PCs when he can see the user - you can run command prompt on a networked computer using PSExec. Caught me with it too the fúcker! :D

One of the lads at work keeps doing that to networked PCs when he can see the user - you can run command prompt on a networked computer using PSExec. Caught me with it too the fúcker! :D

I know it well :p

I used to work with someone who demanded read receipt for every mail. Daft. Interesting to know there are little tGC pixies out there running interference...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I used to work with three people who did this. I wondered did they know they had it on for all messages, but it's a thing you have to turn on, besides you'd get a receipt and it comes in as a regular message so yeah they knew.

Managed ten minutes of a jog this evening. Not too bad I suppose :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Ah emails after time off....nothing like speed reading them and deleting them over the course of an hour :D

What parts of the States did you travel to Hermione?
    New York and Philadelphia. It's a tough life :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Quality episode of Game of Thrones and Im now watching Hestons Great British Foods, great show!

Awesome. Try any Philly Steaks? Tasty stuff!

Americans actually get antsy when it comes to comparing food state by state. Chicago and New York have quite an aggressive Pizza war, by all accounts. :p
    Quality episode of Game of Thrones

I felt a little disappointed by it, for some reason.

Really?

I thought it played out superbly.

Have you read the books?

Really?

I thought it played out superbly.

Have you read the books?

Haven't read them yet, no. Yourself?

I know they need to fill the story out, so it can't be blood and thunder every show, but I pretty much guessed who was going to be in the fight from the first minute, and everything else was fairly straight forward and unsurprising.

Still enjoyable, I suppose. They've had some cracking episodes, so probably a non realistic expectation thing more than anything.

Serious question, are the books worth reading or is it the standard fantasy fayre? Not a huge fan of the genre but if it was an exceptional example, better than say Tad Williams Dragonbone Chair, I will give them a read.

More a sci fi man for the books although I am finding it more and more difficult to find good sci fi. I don't seem to like the popular stuff like Iain Banks or Alastair Reynolds and have read all the Arthur C Clarke, Jack Chalker etc multiple times

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed them. Part one of A Feast for Crows I found to be a bit of a drag but I zipped through the rest.

Im by no means a sword and sorcery fan either, I read alot of horror stuff, crime fiction, noirish stuff etc so the series was a bit of departure for me.

Id recommend them anyway.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Serious question, are the books worth reading or is it the standard fantasy fayre?

I have only read the first one and for the most part it is not "Fantasy Fayre" at all until almost the last 10 pages when "Here be Dragons" and one scene in the middle with Wraiths.

For the most part the book was a political war drama, centred around the hostile take over of a monarchy in one land and the Tribal culture in another. And the distant effects of each on the other.

I assume the later books however go more and more down the Dragons and Undead and Sorcery Routes.

Awwwwshum! Hope you'd a good time! Would like to see NYC at some stage, take a jaunt through Central Park etc etc
    Quality episode of Game of Thrones and Im now watching Hestons Great British Foods, great show!

Yup - very much enjoyed it! Oberyn - saw that coming but still very much excited about it :)
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Serious question, are the books worth reading or is it the standard fantasy fayre? Not a huge fan of the genre but if it was an exceptional example, better than say Tad Williams Dragonbone Chair, I will give them a read.

More a sci fi man for the books although I am finding it more and more difficult to find good sci fi. I don't seem to like the popular stuff like Iain Banks or Alastair Reynolds and have read all the Arthur C Clarke, Jack Chalker etc multiple times

I should start by pointing out that I'm shocking at reading but GOT - I tried reading the first book, and after seeing the TV show first, I couldn't deal with its (IMO) over description of everything. Every single scene / page seemed to be dragging it out until it finally got to the point.

Even if I hadn't seen the show I think I'd have found the books annoying.

I read the books after watching S1 of the show and knowing what was coming, I found the first book a slog. As D'Aggs says, they are description heavy. I devoured the rest of them though; despite their girth I had to know what happened next.

I devoured the rest of them though; despite their girth

giphy.gif

Jaysus Pepe, talk about lining yourself up :pac:

100724315-grumpy-cat.jpg

I'm hoping to remember this slip up Pep....so as to remind you of it always :D

I devoured the rest of them though; despite their girth.

seas-sarcastic-6bb61e3b7bce0931da574d19d1d82c88-1966.gif

:pac:

• Advertisement

Haha love it

Advertisement