Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Left the office earlier. In the post work haze I saw the RTE Donnybrook mast and thought it was the Eiffel Tower. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Sounds like you need a holiday TBO!:D

I'm after applying for a job in Lovely Leitrim.

Then I google mapped the place.

Yup....as I thought....

middle a nowhere!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the biggest clue that it was in the middle of nowhere was "Leitrim". :pac:

Just back from seeing Godzilla. I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

D'Agger wrote: »
    Awwwwshum! Hope you'd a good time! Would like to see NYC at some stage, take a jaunt through Central Park etc etc
    Had a fab time, thanks! I'm actually going to New York on holidays later this year so it was a handy research trip :pac: I went running in Central Park before. I felt like a proper New Yorker, running in the Park!
    Knex. wrote: »
    Awesome. Try any Philly Steaks? Tasty stuff!
    Sadly, no. I did go to an amazing steakhouse in New York - I'm still thinking about their truffle parmesan fries!
    Americans actually get antsy when it comes to comparing food state by state. Chicago and New York have quite an aggressive Pizza war, by all accounts. :p
    So I've heard! I've had pizza in Naples so I don't think I could ever enjoy a deep pan pizza. It just seems wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

iirc, isn't there some sort of running etiquette in Central Park? That, and all the super toned feckers. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hermione* wrote: »
    So I've heard! I've had pizza in Naples so I don't think I could ever enjoy a deep pan pizza. It just seems wrong.

But the Americans perfected it. Mmmmmmmm Pizza Hut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    But the Americans perfected it. Mmmmmmmm Pizza Hut
    Oh hey PR, when did you sell out? :pac:

Thin and crispy pizza ftw!

Morning all! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Oh hey PR, when did you sell out? :pac:

Ha I just thought I would say something outrageous to start the day. I have bever been a big pizza fan but I blame my mother on that as she used to buy the yellow pack pizzas when we were kids (which actually smelt Like vomit) and then when an adult it was all about the toppings. I have a growing appreciation for a nice cheese pizza but still would see it as a snack more than a meal.

Ha I just thought I would say something outrageous to start the day. I have bever been a big pizza fan but I blame my mother on that as she used to buy the yellow pack pizzas when we were kids (which actually smelt Like vomit) and then when an adult it was all about the toppings. I have a growing appreciation for a nice cheese pizza but still would see it as a snack more than a meal.
    You must be bored at home :pac: How's the time off going so far? You bonding with the babba? :)

I'm back off the bad stuff again and minding the diet, but I really miss having a dominos on a hungover Sunday - thin and crispy crust, sun dried tomato base sauce then buckets of toppings - chorizo, pepperoni, salami......why am I doing this to myself! :(

Coffee tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime :)

I haven't been bored for a second:D

Babba is great. He is sleeping beside me on his 9am nap at the moment. I haven't been assaulted by fluids from any of his orifices yet today so it is a good day so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I haven't been bored for a second:D

Babba is great. He is sleeping beside me on his 9am nap at the moment. I haven't been assaulted by fluids from any of his orifices yet today so it is a good day so far.

Its the small things.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Burd is away for the night with work so I was a fat bastard and had me a Chinese.

Soooooo good, now in a food coma on the couch watching the Sopranos.

/belch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Burd is away for the night with work so I was a fat bastard and had me a Chinese.

Soooooo good, now in a food coma on the couch watching the Sopranos.

/belch

Yeah. Work...

;)

Slattsy wrote: »
    Yeah. Work...

;)

:)

:mad:

149268505a1778824775b889583476l.jpg

:pac:

Watching QI drinking tea with custard creams :)

I have a growing appreciation for a nice cheese pizza but still would see it as a snack more than a meal.

Or as an interesting vehicle for something that was already a meal - but you want to add a new dimension to. For example behold the Breakfast Pizza (though being Irish I of course add other meat forms to this base recipie).

Pizza is also a useful medium for using up left overs from otherwise tasty meals. The remaining sauce from a well spiced and hot Shakshouka spread all over a decent yeast base can provide the grounding for a heavenly meal and I have had surprising success using up left over sauces from the "Restaurant Curry" thread over on the Cooking Club forum.

On one of my crazier DIY adventures I upgraded my garden with a stone BBQ with built in stone pizza oven. It is getting to that time of year again where it will see a lot of use. Man I love that heap of Masonry.

Watching QI drinking tea with custard creams :)
    giphy.gif

I haven't had custard creams in a while....used to eat large amounts of them when I was a young fella!

Started watching episodes of Arrested Development & Scrubs on netflix the past few nights - top quality TV right there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Today.... is my Friday.

tumblr_lt2rfshHYV1r14o02o1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've an open book exam in the morning.
    I've decided I can't study for an open book exam, all I'm really doing is re-arranging my notes and colour co-coordinating the post-its.
    So I've decided to pack my stuff and be ready to go home to Galway once the exam is finished.
    Procrastination you are my nemesis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Back in Ireland
    :(

• Advertisement

Its F F F F Friday!!!!!!!

38062-charlie-brown-happy-dance-gif.gif

Quality gif, CS!

Panthro wrote: »
    I've an open book exam in the morning.
    I've decided I can't study for an open book exam, all I'm really doing is re-arranging my notes and colour co-coordinating the post-its.
    Best wishes for it. Open book exams tend to be much harder than the other kind though:o
    Barna77 wrote: »
    Back in Ireland :(
    Ia that a bad thing?
    Its F F F F Friday!!!!!!!
    Is it? Meh :P

I can't wait to sit on my lazyboy this evening, working on my own today so hoping it's quiet and I can catch up on documentation etc.

Any plans by y'all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Ia that a bad thing?
    After a sunny warm craking time in Amsterdam... sort of yes. Rephrase as "holliday is over" :(

No plans for weekend, it's going to be a quiet one. I'm scared to check my bank account. So i'll be living on beans and toast for some weeks.

Heading to Life Festival, but got tidy stuff up in work first. Have Monday off to recover then. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Exam later.
    Can't...concentrate...

Heading to Life Festival, but got tidy stuff up in work first. Have Monday off to recover then. Can't wait!

Nice one man, just looked at the lineup - Jamie xx, four tet & Ben Pearce should be very good!

Smart move taking Monday off too!
    Exam later.
    Can't...concentrate...

Get off the internet kitten!!

I'm currently scanning an execs laptop....78 objects detected after 12 mins....good lord

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Exam later.
    Can't...concentrate...

You'll be grand.. its just pre exam jitters..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I'm currently scanning an execs laptop....78 objects detected after 12 mins....good lord

Oh you'll experience a lot of that..

I was fixing a laptop of a very senior exec in a place I used to work for a few years ago. This guy was the no.1 guy in the European operation and his laptop was being used by his 10 year old daughter to chat to her mates online.

It had an unbelievable amount of crap on it, every fuppin smiley app available for msn messenger, malware, etc.. and he used to come into the office and connect it to the company network :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Exam later.
    Can't...concentrate...

Good luck!

GET OFF THE INTERNET!!!

....Im bored

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Oh you'll experience a lot of that..

I was fixing a laptop of a very senior exec in a place I used to work for a few years ago. This guy was the no.1 guy in the European operation and his laptop was being used by his 10 year old daughter to chat to her mates online.

It had an unbelievable amount of crap on it, every fuppin smiley app available for msn messenger, malware, etc.. and he used to come into the office and connect it to the company network :eek::eek::eek:
    Our users have local admin rights - it's a common occurrence, I honestly think the most annoying thing I've seen is poker apps installed. Have handed back a few laptops with the words 'I've removed 888s app - I'd suggest gambling on a non-work machine going forward'

I mean how would you think that's acceptable? It's not your laptop!

Get off the internet kitten!!

But all the study stuff is online!! :D
    Sounds hilarious about the laptop though!
    ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    You'll be grand.. its just pre exam jitters..

Nope not jitters. Just bored at this stage!
    Thank you though :)
    Good luck!

GET OFF THE INTERNET!!!

....Im bored

Thank you! You can do some study of this stuff if you'd prefer?

...What, no takers on that? What.A.Shock.

I would be of the opinion if they give me a laptop which I am expected to bring home and use in my own time for work then I will also use it for whatever else I want. I would be quite happy to have a desktop in the office and not have to bring work home with me.
    So long as it is legal I wouldn't see any issue with installing whatever I like on it.

Our users have local admin rights - it's a common occurrence, I honestly think the most annoying thing I've seen is poker apps installed. Have handed back a few laptops with the words 'I've removed 888s app - I'd suggest gambling on a non-work machine going forward'

Machines here are the complete opposite. Locked down to a case of you cant even open internet settings. Complete pain in the arse for even the most basic of troubleshooting since the fcukers are all over the country :mad:

Sure.
    I guarantee a fail but still more entertaining

• Advertisement

I would be of the opinion if they give me a laptop which I am expected to bring home and use in my own time for work then I will also use it for whatever else I want. I would be quite happy to have a desktop in the office and not have to bring work home with me.
    So long as it is legal I wouldn't see any issue with installing whatever I like on it.

Thing is - they're not for working from home - they're for taking on site, or using if you need to work from home when you should be in the office - company has always said they promote 9-5:30 so people using them as personal machines isn't on - especially when the outcome is it affecting their work because they've gone ahead and bricked their laptops.

Plus there's an acceptable usage policy that everybody's supposed to have signed upon starting....problem there is it's not being enforced.....yet :p *Dreams of someday!
    Machines here are the complete opposite. Locked down to a case of you cant even open internet settings. Complete pain in the arse for even the most basic of troubleshooting since the fcukers are all over the country :mad:

There's a sweet spot to be found - we need to lock it down more as it's wide open at the moment but some of the stuff you can disable using group policy is ridiculous!

Sure.
    I guarantee a fail but still more entertaining

Oh no it isn't. Linky there will prove I'm right!

Though I did do a double take when page 11 started talking about snowballing. :D

But all the study stuff is online!! :D
    Sounds hilarious about the laptop though!

Nope not jitters. Just bored at this stage!
    Thank you though :)

Ehh thanks but I did my 5 exams earlier this month.. think I've done my fair share for a while :p

Oh this place had it too, but how do you tell the no.1 guy in the European operation no? :mad:

Oh no it isn't. Linky there will prove I'm right!

Though I did do a double take when page 11 started talking about snowballing. :D

Little miss innocent eh :pac:

• Advertisement

Myself and burd are having celebratory engagement drinks tomorrow night with a few friends and family.

We were a bit unsure of having it as we didn't want people to feel obligated Ito getting gifts but we just sent out a no present mandate when we asked people.

Looking forward to it as I'm meeting some of burds mates for the first time, could be mucho interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

People get engagement presents??

Myself and burd are having celebratory engagement drinks tomorrow night with a few friends and family.

Nice 1. Sounds good.
    We are having a christening on 21st June and want to invite as many friends and relatives as possible as we are having a bbq and drinks afterwards. I am really conscious not to be seen to be trying to scab presents off people though. Saying 'no presents' on the invite (text/e-mail) seems to be a drawing attention to it though. Any advice? Would hate not to ask people just because of this but it would definitely be easier

Gongoozler wrote: »
    People get engagement presents??

It seems to be a thing that older folk do and there would be a few folk into their 40s that we asked.

I've even done it myself for close friends.

bahahaha :D

I learned an awful lot of words from the Dome!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Perverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

My ears are burning.

Happy Friday!

Caught up on all my shows last weekend that I was an episode or 2 behind on.
    So now my weekend's free.... to catch up on other backlogged shows.

Any more engagements around here and we'll need an intervention. :pac:

Any more engagements around here and we'll need an intervention. :pac:
    I'm all over being perma-single don't worry brah :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement