Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I'm still not even sure what I'm looking for :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And so begins my second week of being trapped in front of my laptop screen. The building I work in was flooded with Diesel the Sunday before last. My boss and I both know that there's very little I can do so I've been trying to read up on things while the building is decontaminated.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

With diesel? How the hell did that happen?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There was a power cut. When the generator kicked in, a pipe came loose and flooded the whole building with the stuff. The generator was on the top floor. Apparantly, having one in the basement is an environmental hazard.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'll give you €1 per litre if you fancy making a few quid :pac:

There was a power cut. When the generator kicked in, a pipe came loose and flooded the whole building with the stuff. The generator was on the top floor. Apparantly, having one in the basement is an environmental hazard.

Christ. Never head of anything like that. Rough going. Least its the office and not a home, I suppose!

Put the feet up and try and take it easy for a short while, I suppose. No point getting too frustrated with it all, although that's probably easier said than done!

So they went from the basement to the highest point in the building! That's ridiculous!

Get it up one floor to prevent it from being damaged & not kicking in, in the event of a flood, but the top floor? Dear lord!

Knex. wrote: »
    Christ. Never head of anything like that. Rough going. Least its the office and not a home, I suppose!

Put the feet up and try and take it easy for a short while, I suppose. No point getting too frustrated with it all, although that's probably easier said than done!

Yeah, it's like being unemployed. I'm still getting paid (I hope!) so it only seems fair that I at least try and be productive. My boss just rang me with suggestions of things to read and asked if I was enjoying the beach which was a tad annoying.

D'Agger wrote: »
    So they went from the basement to the highest point in the building! That's ridiculous!

Get it up one floor to prevent it from being damaged & not kicking in, in the event of a flood, but the top floor? Dear lord!

I'm guessing there was no spare room. Does seem a bit mad. I don't know if the thing has ever been serviced either.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's like being unemployed. I'm still getting paid (I hope!) so it only seems fair that I at least try and be productive. My boss just rang me with suggestions of things to read and asked if I was enjoying the beach which was a tad annoying.
    The only response there is to sarcastically reply that you're having a ball and how do you go about expensing the ice creams you've been eating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

In Dublin, loaded.

Panthro wrote: »
    In Dublin, loaded.
    Hon P Dawg! :D

How're ye all? This week is craaaaawling :(

S'all good, the World Cup is here!

Started listening to The Bugle Podcast recently, in light of John Oliver's epic rant on FIFA.

Enjoyable enough. Covers a wide range of topical stuff and himself and Andy are both quite funny. If you're a fan of David Mitchell, or that type of satire, then this might be something you're interested in.

Was half thinking of starting a thread in TGC with regards to which Podcasts people listen to, actually.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bit depressed really. The flatmate has found a gaff already. This move is really happening, ugh.

... and knee surgery again tomorrow. Was relieved when the consultant suggested it and long term it's a necessity but I'm really not looking forward to seeing my knee made **** of and hobbling around on crutches again.

Bit depressed really. The flatmate has found a gaff already. This move is really happening, ugh.

... and knee surgery again tomorrow. Was relieved when the consultant suggested it and long term it's a necessity but I'm really not looking forward to seeing my knee made **** of and hobbling around on crutches again.

Rough enough going. But, without wanting to sound like a sap, short term suffering, both with the knee and the apartment search, for long term gains, and all that.

Best of luck with both, fella.

• Advertisement

Started listening to The Bugle Podcast recently, in light of John Oliver's epic rant on FIFA.

I'm watching that now and it's making me laugh and feel profoundly sad at the same time.

I'm watching that now and it's making me laugh and feel profoundly sad at the same time.

Probably the best way of putting it, alright.

S'all good, the World Cup is here!

Enjoyable enough. Covers a wide range of topical stuff and himself and Andy are both quite funny. If you're a fan of David Mitchell, or that type of satire, then this might be something you're interested in.

Was half thinking of starting a thread in TGC with regards to which Podcasts people listen to, actually.

Here - stop living my life will'ya! I've only recently gotten into podcasts and try to listen to them at night when I hit the hay

Thread sounds good man, work away I say! David Mitchells soapbox is brilliant!

Rough enough going. But, without wanting to sound like a sap, short term suffering, both with the knee and the apartment search, for long term gains, and all that.

Best of luck with both, fella.

What Knex said really - I understand the short term depression about it and it will leave you with a mountain of rehab most likely but it's for the best long term

Hope the surgery goes well man :)

Cheers fellas.

On the bright side, was talking to my mate yesterday and apparently the girl in work I've fancied for ages is single again. Hooray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Cheers fellas.

On the bright side, was talking to my mate yesterday and apparently the girl in work I've fancied for ages is single again. Hooray!

You go console her ;-)

• Advertisement

Oh.
    And today is my Friday.
    Letterkenny for the weekend on the beer. Weater looks like it'll be decent too.

Cheers fellas.

Go tell her about your knee - she'll see you as a puppy with a bobo on his paw :pac:
    Slattsy wrote: »
    Oh.
    And today is my Friday.
    Letterkenny for the weekend on the beer. Weater looks like it'll be decent too.

Sounds savage!

Unreal day here in Cork, the week is dragging on big time though :( Working Sunday didn't help that.

Crutches on Monday ;)

Take her for a drink on Tuesday...

Trust D'Aggs to rock on in here with Craig David.

Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaig Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavid :P

Breathe it in lads, embrace the nostalgia and listen to Craig David regale you with his tales of love :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Go on, go on, go on!! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Happy Friday All

I've a busy weekend ahead as it is my birthday tomorrow and am celebrating by doing Hell & Back at 11am :eek: followed by beers or Bulmers if it is a sunny day. Haven't drank in about a month so looking forward to it. Would top the day off nicely if England managed to beat the Italians.

Happy birthday PR, and best of luck with Hell & Back!

Hope that competition you were on about recently went well for ya, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The results were postponed by a week so they are out on Sunday. I am currently leading by 1 vote :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Happy early womb escape day PR!

Going to a gig tonight with burd and 2 of her mates and goin to have me some tasty tasty stout.

It was announced earlier today that Behemoth and Decapitated are playing in Dublin together in December.

Tickets go on sale Monday, really can't wait.

I've never seen either live and they are absolutely ball bustingly brutal, awesomesauce!!!

Was supposed to have a match in Bantry which has now been changed to Macroom which is about 30mins less away

So hoping to head out for a few sociables tonight if the match goes well, otherwise it'll be a movie while I slowly enter a comatose state on my lazyboy :D

Hope all your weekends are going well - lovely day in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Happy birthday, PR!

Coleman: that sounds like an absolute beast of a gig! Off to Trivium myself on Tuesday so that'll be class. Psykosis as support too...some good old thrash metal on a school night, quality.

Have a good weekend, D'agger! Mine will be grand to awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ya man, I canny wait for it.

At The Gates are playing in January too, reckon I will have to go to that too.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Be rude not ta! :D

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    and am celebrating by doing Hell & Back at 11am :eek:

Dear Lord that was horrendous. Every part of me is sore:( Don't do it lads

Has anyone here ever worked 2 jobs at once before? I've nothing to do with my weekends so I'm thinking that I might as well make them profitable.

Has anyone here ever worked 2 jobs at once before? I've nothing to do with my weekends so I'm thinking that I might as well make them profitable.

It depends what job you are doing. Bear in mind any extra you earn at the weekend will be taxed at (probably) 52%. Also keep in mind the 48 hour rule under the EU working time directive.
    I considered it before but it was not worthwhile. Getta playstation ;)

• Advertisement

Joint winner :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85938315&postcount=1

It should be pointed out that I gave the other joint winner a comradery vote whereas he didn't bother so really the moral victory is mine haha

Kudos on the competition and Hell & Back respectively PR :)

Went out last night so I'm tired today, hoping to head to Fitzgerald Park for a look around though - they did it up recently and it's supposed to be really nice

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Passed all my exams \0/ 58% over all. Not as high as I'd like but I'll survive :D

Year one down..

How's everyone?? :)

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Passed all my exams \0/ 58% over all. Not as high as I'd like but I'll survive :D

Year one down..

How's everyone?? :)
    Well done man, tough going doing a course & working - looking to get certified before the end of the year so study must be started sooner rather than later :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Well done man, tough going doing a course & working - looking to get certified before the end of the year so study must be started sooner rather than later :(

What certification you looking to get??

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    What certification you looking to get??
    I'll eventually try to get the CCNA but it's a big task to get that so might look to get something along the lines of the Security +

I've had to create an IS doc for the company this year and make an acceptable usage policy so something like that would complement it on a CV I think

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It depends what job you are doing. Bear in mind any extra you earn at the weekend will be taxed at (probably) 52%. Also keep in mind the 48 hour rule under the EU working time directive.
    I considered it before but it was not worthwhile. Getta playstation ;)

Have one :)

I tend to spend my weekends idle. Also, 52%!! Here, I just don't get the tax-free allowance. I'd take home 80% of what I earn in the second job.

Also, 52%!! Here, I just don't get the tax-free allowance. I'd take home 80% of what I earn in the second job.

52% is the Irish rate.
    Working time directive is applicable across the EU

I'd recommend avoiding double jobbing - worked two jobs simultaneously for a week of 9-1 then 3-11 for two weeks and I was absolutely shattered.

Thankfully the work wasn't too taxing (pun intended :pac:) but I do think keeping it up would have flattened me!

I'd recommend avoiding double jobbing - worked two jobs simultaneously for a week of 9-1 then 3-11 for two weeks and I was absolutely shattered.

Thankfully the work wasn't too taxing (pun intended :pac:) but I do think keeping it up would have flattened me!

Nice.

Anyway, I'm looking to do a PhD here which involves living in one of the most expensive parts of the UK while earning less than £300 per week (tax free).

I also need to start saving as well. I was thinking of working Saturdays and Sundays instead of going to work twice a day. I'm not sure but I've only handed CVs in to pubs that are actually nice (one good thing about Brighton) or shops I'd be interested in working in.

haha D'Aggs, great avatar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement