Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Farcical.
    Hope those residents are ashamed. They only kicked up in the hope of getting compensation.

Next time im going to Croker (Leinster Final) im bringing all my rubbish with me and dumping it in garden after garden :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Exactly. That licence for five concerts should have been secured before selling even one ticket, that way they know it'll go ahead without a fiasco like the current one. Its hard to know who you should really feel sympathy for tbh. One the one hand, the fans who have made it 5 sold out shows are either dedicated, or deluded that they'll get an amazing show. On the other hand, the residents who don't like/who hate/despise country music will have at least 3 nights of it, possibly more...when they've already had to suffer through nights of screaming kids to see one direction as it is.

From what I know, they have a cap on the amount of concerts that are allowed to be held (6 I think) and with this all going to the original plan, that would mean 8 and the Grab All Association getting more money once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

To the best of my knowledge the original agreement was for 3 concerts a year, so it would have been 5 extra.

Still though, regardless of which side of the fence you're on, it's ridiculous it could be cancelled within three weeks of the event.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

People with hotels, flights already booked. Bus companies ready to go. Time off from work booked! These things seem to only happen in Ireland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd never even heard of Garth Brooks until this kicked off. Had it not, I'd still be none the wiser.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Really?
    Are you still in your 20's then? He was fairly ubiquitous back in the day. He wasn't that bad musically. Not really my cup of tea but would do a mean karaoke of 'Friends in Low Places':pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Really?
    Are you still in your 20's then? He was fairly ubiquitous back in the day. He wasn't that bad musically. Not really my cup of tea but would do a mean karaoke of 'Friends in Low Places':pac:

I'm 26. I left Ireland just over 3 years ago. I had to google him to find out who he was.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It's the residents right to complain, whether it was for compo or because they're sick of Croke Park jamming their locality more & more - I don't know. Either way, those tickets shouldn't have gone on sale until the venue was confirmed.

If they'd any sense they'd look to move the gigs - if that's possible given crokers capacity

I'm 26. I left Ireland just over 3 years ago. I had to google him to find out who he was.
    You should thank your parents for getting this far!! :pac:

I remember listening to 'Thunder Rolls' on the way home from primary school on cassette - top times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

It is a big blow for the fans, even if he hasn't been here for 10 years or so (and apparently he was doing a world tour soon anyway), although why didn't the rumours of possible other venues to cater for the last two night's crowd come to fruition? I'd reckon Thomond Park, Lansdowne Road or even Semple Stadium would be able to host the last batch of fans.

All in all: the residents and DCC went through the proper channels, the GAA and promoters didn't secure rights for the last two nights which were lumped on at the last minute. It'll be a big blow to local businesses, merchandisers and the hospitality trade also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As I said elsewhere, I have a ticket for Garth but not too fussed about him. But imagine sometime down the road when a band I really want to see are planning a tour and decide to bypass Ireland or have less nights in Ireland due to seeing what happened here. From bad planning to the objections, some of which are now being reported as having being faked. Then announcing 3 weeks before the concerts are due to take place that the licence isn't being granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Meh, no band I'll ever want to see will be playing anywhere close to the size of Croker so I dont give a bollix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Garth Brooks is all forgotten :D
    Brasil vs. Germany game is on! I had Brasil to win the world cup and I'm gutted.

My boss (who's German) will be pleased.

• Advertisement

I'm in Donegal this week but I don't think I can afford to stay in Dublin so I'm out, sadly.

People at work insist on wasting reagents. I sent round an email politely requesting that they be a bit more vigilant with things going off so now I've been accused of damaging (the non-existent) "group spirit".

People at work insist on wasting reagents. I sent round an email politely requesting that they be a bit more vigilant with things going off so now I've been accused of damaging (the non-existent) "group spirit".
    reagents?

Big pfft at group spirit!!

Sounds like here where we have team building, or as we call it, organised fun or forced fun.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sounds like here where we have team building, or as we call it, organised fun or forced fun.

Ugh
    I hate those days

• Advertisement

Who the hell is Macklemore ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Slattsy wrote: »

Lets just say he's the type of guy who wear your Granddad's clothes..
    And he'd look...
    Incredible...

:D

Well, my granda is a stylish cat :)

D'Agger wrote: »
    reagents?

Big pfft at group spirit!!

Reagents = chemicals. Apologies. Hopefully, another sorry will sort it and I can get back to hoping my Mum's dog doesn't bite me again.

Slattsy wrote: »

That's the second time I heard that today. Is it a singer or something?

I think he's a guy who talks over music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Absolute mad week from hell. Finish today at lunchtime

Time to chill and boozing :D

It's Friday, thank fúck

Macklemore is a white rapper who has only had one album released but it skyrocketed - he's also an independent artist so for him to be so successful is nuts. His story is pretty cool also - he's an alcoholic and his music is fairly up front about it - his song Same Love is a brilliant piece of music addressing same sex marriage too - great song!

Heading out tonight so looking forward to that - jobs around the house Saturday & match Sunday, looking forward to it now :)

I had no idea that the Garth Brooks furore was this big over here... Crikey.

So up at 7:30 this morning. Junior is napping so I had time to do something constructive. Instead I have played this http://www.chet.ie/2048/ for the last 2 hours.

• Advertisement

So up at 7:30 this morning. Junior is napping so I had time to do something constructive. Instead I have played this http://www.chet.ie/2048/ for the last 2 hours.

DAMMIT!
    I've not played that again in weeks, I thought I'd made a clean break!
    Ever play the version with the Doge meme? Its funny!

Damn that's addictive!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Instead I have played this http://www.chet.ie/2048/ for the last 2 hours.
    aaarrrrrrgggggghh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

God damn that's oddly addicting!

I've only managed 512 this morning

I've only managed 512 this morning

Had about 10 games, managed 6984 on around the 5th.

Keep getting around the 3000 mark.

Knex. wrote: »
    Had about 10 games, managed 6984 on around the 5th.

Keep getting around the 3000 mark.
    LIES. Neither of those numbers are in the game :P

My top score is 6844.

My flatmate's other half completed it apparently. God knows how long it took him.

LIES. Neither of those numbers are in the game :P

Was looking at top score!

Got 512 there, with top score of 8416.

I'll be at this till my phone dies! :pac:

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Was looking at top score!

Got 512 there, with top score of 8416.

I'll be at this till my phone dies! :pac:

Pfft...512...I don't consider anything less than a 1024!:pac:
    My top score was somewhere up in the 18,000 mark I think before I gave up completely.
    I followed a thread on Boards about it a while back. There's a knack to it.

Edit
    here's the said thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89500620
    My last post in there was 8,000
    I played a hell of a lot after that!

Try the Doge meme version linked in one of the pages!

That game is pure evil

numbers
    numbers...
    go crazy

Monday.
    Already.
    And no football to look forward to.
    FML

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Friday for me :D

/im posting this everywhere

Off work this morning - no idea what way I slept but my back feels like it has a knot in it, under my shoulder by my ribs! Have to go to Physio Thursday anyway, the aul knee is giving me a bit of jip - playing GAA on hard ground is doing it no favours!

How were all your weekends? Gutted for the Argies! :(

D'Agger wrote: »
    Off work this morning - no idea what way I slept but my back feels like it has a knot in it, under my shoulder by my ribs! Have to go to Physio Thursday anyway, the aul knee is giving me a bit of jip - playing GAA on hard ground is doing it no favours!

How were all your weekends? Gutted for the Argies! :(

You're not the only one feeling unwell. I woke up with a splitting headache and a sore stomach. Wasn't even able to keep my brekky down. Best of luck at the physio!

I'm glad Germany won as my boss is German which might put him in good spirits.

• Advertisement

Struggling big time. Met an Italian dude to watch the game and then he persuaded me to go out to the Workman's club after as it was his birthday.

Was totally worth it though, the dude was an epic wing-man.

Was persuaded to go out as well (you really don't have to twist my arm). Was in Grafton Lounge for a good while, and ended up in Pygmalion, for some reason that's eluded me both today, and last night!

Got chatting to a pretty cool woman, and got her number to meet up with her next week. So like yourself, Pepe, was probably worth it. :D

^playa's :D

... hmmmm i haven't watched a single minute of the world cup... did I miss much? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

I was dragged into watching it, and no, no you didn't miss anything!

• Advertisement
Advertisement