Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

went up to Dublin a few weeks ago for a job interview.
    Got a phone call today, through to the second round of interviews..cept it's up in Newry.
    Why can't companies be based in Galway.
    Wehhhh!:mad:

How's all?! Tis close out there, hah?
    Ever notice that it can be close out, but ya never hear it being far out?!
    That would be amazing.

I need to get this job I reckon.:o
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Best of luck Panthro :)

Mind me asking, in a general sense (IT, marketing, or whatever), what the job is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Knex. wrote: »
    On a side note, I'm seriously struggling with sleep lately. I go through phases, but haven't been this bad in around 2 years. Can't get to sleep before three, seemingly.
    D'Agger wrote: »
    Sleep is rarely an issue for me but it was so humid last night and I'd played a match so I was completely shattered yet unable to sleep, it was frustrating!
    Bad sleeper myself, like really bad. But surprisingly I've been coping the heat and humidity lately quite well. I've been leaving the window open over the last few nights so the room feels kind of cool when I get back in the evenings, and I didn't need to sleep on top of the duvet so far. Tossing and turning a bit but then off to dreamland.
    Still I'm not a morning person.

Best of luck Panthro :)

Mind me asking, in a general sense (IT, marketing, or whatever), what the job is?

Risk management (mainly asbestos and legionella, also fire safety and stuff like that too)
    Well folks, ye'll be glad to hear that I sleep like a baby.
    Just give me a few bottles before I go to bed and I'm sorted!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm doing a risk assessment for my company atm as part of Information Security - it's awful shíte Panthro so I hope for your sake that it's completely different for yourself!

Risk is for foolas - play it safe kids :pac:

• Advertisement

Haha! I had to do one of those in college and I can concur that they are a load a cawk alright!
    Don't think its' exactly the same, probably similar I'd imagine.
    Brovva needs to be working though, the WC is over now.

Ye reminded me of something with ye're risk assessment talk.

When I was interning in NY, a fella from my class was put in with a Project Manager who was in charge of Risk Management, primarily. Anyway, one day he comes up to me after printing off a chart, basically a color coded chart outlining the different colors for each level of risk, in relation to impact and likelihood. So red was high, white was medium, and yellow was the low.

Anyway, he tells me he's been working on it all morning, and it took him three hours. I looked at him, stunned, and said "How the hell? You could do it in 5 mins in excel".

His face dropped. Turned out he, for some inexplicable reason, hadn't realised you could color in cells in Excel (yeah, that's right), and had gone and done the whole thing on MS Paint. Painstakingly coloring in around each letter for every word in a cell. It was also then that I realised "medium" was meant to be in orange, but he got so fed up for coloring in so many red and yellow cells.

I don't think I've ever laughed so much in a workplace. So much so my manager came over, and I showed it to him while practically unable to talk. He laughed almost as much.

Good times! :pac:

Ye reminded me of something with ye're risk assessment talk.

When I was interning in NY, a fella from my class was put in with a Project Manager who was in charge of Risk Management, primarily. Anyway, one day he comes up to me after printing off a chart, basically a color coded chart outlining the different colors for each level of risk, in relation to impact and likelihood. So red was high, white was medium, and yellow was the low.

Anyway, he tells me he's been working on it all morning, and it took him three hours. I looked at him, stunned, and said "How the hell? You could do it in 5 mins in excel".

His face dropped. Turned out he, for some inexplicable reason, hadn't realised you could color in cells in Excel (yeah, that's right), and had gone and done the whole thing on MS Paint. Painstakingly coloring in around each letter for every word in a cell. It was also then that I realised "medium" was meant to be in orange, but he got so fed up for coloring in so many red and yellow cells.

I don't think I've ever laughed so much in a workplace. So much so my manager came over, and I showed it to him while practically unable to talk. He laughed almost as much.

Good times! :pac:
    Sweet lord....Paint!! Google it FFS!!

In fairness - I'd never had to use that function before now :pac: I still knew you could do it! I hate Excel so much!!

Creating rules so that I could make a colour coded floor map of all ports in the building for a massive cable swapout was about the most complicated thing I've used it for :D

Sweet lord....Paint!! Google it FFS!!

In fairness - I'd never had to use that function before now :pac: I still knew you could do it! I hate Excel so much!!

Creating rules so that I could make a colour coded floor map of all ports in the building for a massive cable swapout was about the most complicated thing I've used it for :D

Good ol' BIS :D

Good ol' BIS :D
    Well considering I was probably in the lower twentieth percentile of all time BIS graduates & still knew this tells you all you need to know about this mistake :pac:

• Advertisement

Well considering I was probably in the lower twentieth percentile of all time BIS graduates & still knew this tells you all you need to know about this mistake :pac:

I went looking for the photo of it again on Facebook there. I'm still laughing.

I'll swallow my words about about sleeping well :mad:

Ah look, it's my birthday.
    Pints a-coming

Barna77 wrote: »

Pints a-coming

Happy B-Day, B-Dawg! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

On a course the past 2 days.
    Finished at 3 today. Straight to pub.
    It's not really Guinness weather.. But my lord are they going down well!

\o/

Barna77 wrote: »

Pints a-coming

Belated birthday wishes Barna! :)
    Slattsy wrote: »
    On a course the past 2 days.
    Finished at 3 today. Straight to pub.
    It's not really Guinness weather.. But my lord are they going down well!

\o/

Had training in that weather last night - was like playing in an African cup of nations match, good god the HEAT!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just accepted a job offer. Starting work again on September 1st:)
    30% better gross than the last place too

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Congrats man!

Busy day & busy enough week coming to a close - happier at work for it if I'm honest

Congratulations!

Very busy day. Friday should be quiet though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Congrats PR, great news :)

So.
    Hands up who's hitting the beer garden after work?

o/

• Advertisement

To the lads that are married.... where did you have your stag?

Adda boy Paawed Rig!
    So ahh....when's the celebratory houseparty with bbq?!:D

Yeah PR when's the BBQ?

We got knocked out of the football championship yesterday - we limped out rather, such a poor, poor season from start to finish

Yeah PR when's the BBQ?

Hoh, like you'd show up....! Boom!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cheers lads. It will be tough getting up before 10am again though. They asked me to pop in on Wednesday to meet everybody and have a chat to the person who I am replacing.

BBQ is whenever D'Agger is free ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

To the lads that are married.... where did you have your stag?

Obviously not married yet but Im 99% sure it will be somewhere on continental Europe.

My grooms men are both not living in Ireland (one UK, one Canada) so a mate of mine is going to organise it. He is fantastic at things like this. He was on to me yesterday so by the end of the week he is going to present me with a Powerpoint of 3 potential destinations, I canny wait.

I know its a bit more expensive than doing Ireland but Im going to give people at least 6 months notice so that way they have lots of warning and if they want to go they can go.

Im thinking Munich or Prague, with Munich the preferred option :)

Want to box it off within the next month or so, giving everyone about 10 months notice !!!

Im kinda thinkin Ibiza tbh, it had been floated as a mutual friend was best man for someone recently and thats where they went.

Carnage by all accounts.

They rented a couple of adjacent apartments. Worked out around €300 per person for flights and accommodation for 3 nights which is what I reckon my limit would be.

Though if my mate comes up with something truly awesome, who knows.

Ibiza was mentioned too. Kind of forgot about it actually.

Apparently very expensive over there.
    I know a few lads that have been on stags in Ibiza and loved it, but said the cash flow could become an issue if you haven't prepared for the expense.

• Advertisement

Ya, thats certainly a consideration.

I will wait and see what my buddy comes back with anyway and take it from there.

Good luck with it anyway. We'll have fun wherever we end up!

Total carnage man!

Totes.

Burd has set out the mandate that she doesn't want me to go to Amsterdam which suits me down to the ground as I have zero interest in it. I was there 2 years ago and got bored very quick.

Titty bars and whores have no interest for me!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Probably going to Poland for my mate's stag early next year.

Totes.

Burd has set out the mandate that she doesn't want me to go to Amsterdam which suits me down to the ground as I have zero interest in it. I was there 2 years ago and got bored very quick.

Titty bars and whores have no interest for me!

Yeah me neither, awful degrading to wimmin :pac: :pac: :pac:

Probably going to Poland for my mate's stag early next year.

Had a stag there myself a few years ago. They dont like the Irish some of those lads over there, so be wary as there are dodby spots.
    The wimmin are banterless!

• Advertisement

BBQ is whenever D'Agger is free ;)

Holidays from Friday kid :pac: :D
    Im thinking Munich or Prague, with Munich the preferred option :)

Want to box it off within the next month or so, giving everyone about 10 months notice !!!

I've heard Prague is outrageous for stags!

I've heard Prague is outrageous for stags!

Prague is an epic city. We went there for an Ireland international a good few years ago and had a great time. In fact I would say it is crazier than Amsterdam.

Guys getting married - I hope you are checking out the latest must read thread in the wedding forum?
    TLDR - Bride is not having food at her reception but not telling any of the guests:pac:

Prague is an epic city. We went there for an Ireland international a good few years ago and had a great time. In fact I would say it is crazier than Amsterdam.

Guys getting married - I hope you are checking out the latest must read thread in the wedding forum?
    TLDR - Bride is not having food at her reception but not telling any of the guests:pac:
    I'd take back my gift tbh

What ??????????

• Advertisement

Unbelievable%252520jeff.jpg

Flicked through that briefly. I dont believe a word of it!

Flicked through that briefly. I dont believe a word of it!

Ha I fear you may be right. I will be so disappointed if there is not a riot that doesn't make the news next Saturday. I suspect an anticlimax similar to the safe thread though

Had a stag there myself a few years ago. They dont like the Irish some of those lads over there, so be wary as there are dodby spots.
    The wimmin are banterless!
    Been to Poznan (x2), Gdansk and Wroclaw in the last year and that wasn't my experience at all. They seemed to love the Irish in Poznan in particular; bunch of pubs I went to had Irish paraphernalia leftover from the Euros still hung up behind the bar etc.

I've heard locals in Krakow are pretty wary of stags though.

Been to Poznan (x2), Gdansk and Wroclaw in the last year and that wasn't my experience at all. They seemed to love the Irish in Poznan in particular; bunch of pubs I went to had Irish paraphernalia leftover from the Euros still hung up behind the bar etc.

I've heard locals in Krakow are pretty wary of stags though.[/QUOTE]

Well thats where i was.

In fairness it was about 7 years ago, s things may have changed? We literally got chased by a gamg of thugs in the wee hours of the morning as we all left a night club. Scary enough.

Finally got to 4096. It's a thing of beauty.

Finally got to 4096. It's a thing of beauty.
    I have an idea of what you're talking about but I'm glad that it's just that :pac:

Had a giggle yesterday. I was in an O'Briens in Newry and I had just ordered a chicken sambo for myself. The lad said he'd drop it down to me. Happy days, so I went to the till to pay, the girl had just typed in my order when this aul wagon picked up a bag of crisps from the counter behind me, then walked round the other side so she's in front of me in the 'que' (cept there's no que, bar myself)

She throws the crisps on the counter (which had a tray for my food waiting) and looks at the girl, nods to the crisps as if to say 'take for those crisps'

The girl looked pure puzzled at her then back to me and asks 'would you like anything else sir?' The aul wan looked at me rather expectantly as if to say 'Let me go ahead of you' but fock her, I know she's closer to death than I am but she blatantly skipped the que and didn't have the decency to ask if she could go ahead of me. Plus a bit less nodding to the staff and a bit more human interaction and she might have gotten somewhere with her.

Myself and the girl started smiling at the awkwardness of it all, so to elongate the situation I went 'Ammmm.....I think I'll have ahhhhh.....pot of.....tea aswell please!' The aul wan give me daggers and let out an oh so loud sigh and started shaking her headeen. The girl was now laughing at the aul wans reaction and went 'Yes sir!' (I'd say she was delighted I didn't let biddy go ahead of me). She then goes 'coming right up' and I said 'oh take your time, no rush!' the two of us giggling like skool kids while biddy had a face on her like thunder.

Honestly, I know she's old and stuff but that's no excuse to be a bollocks to people. Had she been nice and asked could she get in ahead of me I would have said 'no bother at all' but the fact that she attempted to do it and expected the girl to serve her over me with her fockin' nodding head on her.

A bit of manners needs not just be taught to the kids of today, it needs to be reminded in the aul wans among us.:D

I was really hoping you'd point at her crisps on your tray and say, "And I'll take those crisps as well, sure." :D

I was really hoping you'd point at her crisps on your tray and say, "And I'll take those crisps as well, sure." :D

dammit! That would have been hilarious!

• Advertisement
Advertisement