Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Heading up to Neven Maguires place on Saturday. 8 month wait to get a dinner reservation - it better be worth it!
    Missing the Dublin game though, which is a bummer :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Took me ages too. Kept waking up in a sweat too. Gross.

How's the new apartment?
    We had a drunk group of (I think) French guys shouting and singing outside at about 3am:mad:. All windows open as it is so warm so of course they woke everyone.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    How's the new apartment?
    We had a drunk group of (I think) French guys shouting and singing outside at about 3am:mad:. All windows open as it is so warm so of course they woke everyone.
    Great, I love it. Was never a fan of Temple Bar before (thought the usual tourist trap dump blah blah blah) but it's actually brilliant. There are so many great places to go, it's so vibrant and everything is so close. Feels like living in a completely different city.

I do get loud drunks wandering down my street late at night pretty often though. Takes some getting used to, but I think I'm starting to sleep more heavily now. Though I opened my balcony door last night and had to close it as it was too noisy. Didn't seem to make much difference to the temperature anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nailed 2048 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Back to work tomorrow after a week off, picked up a cold which came on last night, had to play a match in the rain which hasn't helped either but I'm hopeful that the Neurofen I just hoofed back and the nap I'm about to take do the business

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Has anyone here ever had a live in landlord. Met a chap today and he seemed sound. He doesn't believe in contracts though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Has anyone here ever had a live in landlord. Met a chap today and he seemed sound. He doesn't believe in contracts though.
    No point in a contract if you are living with an owner occupier as you are not a tenant. You have zero rights and can be turfed out at a moments notice (under Irish law anyway). You would need to check the relavent UK laws

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No point in a contract if you are living with an owner occupier as you are not a tenant. You have zero rights and can be turfed out at a moments notice (under Irish law anyway). You would need to check the relavent UK laws

I don't think it's that bad under UK law. I spent my first year living with an arrangement like this. It's nowhere like a written contract. I spent an hour with the landlord just chatting and it's a nice place. I also really loathe house hunting. I basically wasted my whole weekend doing it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Nailed 2048 :D

I got bored at 1.5 million :P

Merry Monday All!

My cold is all but gone, shoulder pain from lamping myself after getting slide tackled in the match is being dealt with by my good 'ol buddy Deep Heat :)

• Advertisement

Has anyone seen Skins? I just watched the first episode and am iffy about it. It seems to be a mix between Cruel Intentions and The Inbetweeners. Should I keep watching or try somtin else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

It was alrightish. They changed the cast from season 3 on. Watched seasons 1 to 3 and never bothered again.

It's Friday!

I loved it. Seasons 1 & 2 introduce you to a great group of characters, they change for 3 & 4 which I didn't like at first, but it turned out to be far better - to the point where I stopped watching it after season 4. I couldn't do it to myself again

Any plans for the weekend folks? I am brooooooooke :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'm just gravy, got paid (though that's been bum raped already with wedding savings and other expenses) have the house to myself this evening so a night of horror movies and a take away is in store. Planning a 50k cycle in the morning then home for the United match. I signed up for the Setanta 1 month for €1 deal so will be parked on the sofa for the afternoon.

Plus I got a ticket for the Machine Head gig in December.

All the metal!!!

I'm just gravy, got paid (though that's been bum raped already with wedding savings and other expenses) have the house to myself this evening so a night of horror movies and a take away is in store. Planning a 50k cycle in the morning then home for the United match. I signed up for the Setanta 1 month for €1 deal so will be parked on the sofa for the afternoon.

All the metal!!!
    Nice man, sounds fun filled in fairness!

I'm saving for a trip to Chicago & Vegas in October, so getting paid hasn't meant increased wealth for me lately! Really looking forward to it now, going over with my parents to see my brother, going to eat all the shít food!

Have a 5K run in the morning which I can hopefully complete in a reasonable condition. Then watch Man U return to form as the worlds greatest club.
    From there on is study study study

Have a 5K run in the morning which I can hopefully complete in a reasonable condition. Then watch Man U return to form as the worlds greatest club.
    From there on is study study study

Sounds like fun. What are you studying for?

Tax. I'm pretty far behind but hoping to get over the line in 1 or 2 of the 4 exams. The plan was to just do them while I was off to get the experience rather than a firm intention of passing. I think the new job expects me to get them though :eek:

Tax. I'm pretty far behind but hoping to get over the line in 1 or 2 of the 4 exams. The plan was to just do them while I was off to get the experience rather than a firm intention of passing. I think the new job expects me to get them though :eek:

Ahhh. Best of luck man!

Thinking of heading to a 90s night in town. On my own so not sure. Could really do with doing more reading.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

All the metal!!!

Nice one,hoping to get a ticket soon myself :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Lived with my landlord for 15 months. He was a bigger idiot than anyone else in the house.

The Van Gaal era begins

318628.jpg

Half time 1-0 to Swansea?????

VAN GAAL OUT

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Van Gaal era begins

318628.jpg
    heheh.

heheh.

:(

• Advertisement

Was gona put a status on facebook earlier saying 'Did Moyes put a bit of weight on during the summer?'

Then I figured I didn't want to be that Liverpool fan, especially when it'd probably end up with a Liverpool loss to a team whos three top players we just purchased :p

Hopefully that won't happen & Sterling will continue to be a beautiful young man, Coutihno will dazzle & Danny will be daddy cool in front of goal :cool:

I can't wait, I'm like a child :D

D'Agger wrote: »
    Then I figured I didn't want to be that Liverpool fan
    I have that fan on my facebook. Even last year with Liverpool top of the table looking likely to win the league he took more pleasure in Man U's downfall.
    I might just choose a championship team and follow them this year. Goooo Blackburn.

I have that fan on my facebook. Even last year with Liverpool top of the table looking likely to win the league he took more pleasure in Man U's downfall.
    I might just choose a championship team and follow them this year. Goooo Blackburn.
    You get that with Utd & other fans too - they're on every side, some people are just idiots :pac:

D'Agger wrote: »
    You get that with Utd & other fans too - they're on every side, some people are just idiots :pac:
    Ah yeah, this guy is just obnoxious. The fact he supports Liverpool is incidental. He is funny though the odd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Lads I'm loaded.
    But on brighter bridges, I think United fans could do with chillaxin, Chelsea fans could do what I'm doing... Pray to Allah that Costa comes good.

• Advertisement

I just fixed my chair! Does this make me a proper man? It still sags but it's no longer falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

How did you fix it?!

How did you fix it?!

It was an office chair which kept leaning back. Turns out that some screws had fallen out. My housemate had a toolbox for his bicycle so I just borrowed an allen key and sorted it.

Monday?
    Already?
    Ballacks.

Thankfully I have zero plans after work so I shall be eating and relaxing this evening!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    Hope you enjoyed it. :D

Well i sure did :pac:

Hope you enjoyed it. :D

I enjoyed about 15 minutes of the second half, aside from that, it was awful stuff altogether.

I think unless we pick up at least 2 first team players before the transfer window closes we are going to be in bother.

A couple of additions in the right places I fancy us to finish 4th at the expense of the Pool tbh!

Di Maria would be a very positive signing imho but I think they will end up paying way over the odds for him. Other than that I haven't even heard talk of anyone that would really improve the team significantly. The new jersey is rotten too

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say he is over rated, he had a good season last year in a team with Ronaldo, Bale & Benzema in it.

Lovely footballer but not what we need at all.

Di Maria is over rated.
    I wouldn't say he is over rated, he had a good season last year in a team with Ronaldo, Bale & Benzema in it.

Lovely footballer but not what we need at all.

I'd say he's incredibly overrated - when you look at the prices being banded about for him....it's lunacy!

Tuesday....the week continues! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Had a job interview in Dublin a few weeks back. It went well so I got called for a second interview up in Newry, which I thought also went dandy.
    Email yesterday saying I was unsuccessful.
    Thanks lads, driving from Galway is chape as chips when you're on the scratcher.

I spent about £200 travelling to interviews in Manchester from Oxford. Our HR department asked me at the end of the financial year why I never claimed it back.

Panthro wrote: »
    Had a job interview in Dublin a few weeks back. It went well so I got called for a second interview up in Newry, which I thought also went dandy.
    Email yesterday saying I was unsuccessful.
    Thanks lads, driving from Galway is chape as chips when you're on the scratcher.

Awful bad manners to PFO someone after 2 interviews. Hell, even after one it should be common courtesy to pick up the phone.

Di Maria is a great player. He was the best player ion the pitch in The Champions League semis and final last year. Argentina also missed him big time in the world cup final. His final ball is great which is where Man U fell down last year with Valancia and Young. He would be a huge asset but more would be needed than just him.

Decided to give Breaking Bad another go as Missus and jnr are away for a couple of weeks. I'm still not completely sold on it but am definitely enjoying it more than last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've only 3 more episodes of it to go then it's another I can finally cross off the list.

Just gonna grab a bite to eat now and make a start on them

BB was good but not (imo) as fantastic as most people think.

• Advertisement

Most people make it out to be the greatest thing that's ever been broadcast in fairness. The hype aside, I'd have no qualms with calling it the best non-HBO drama I've seen barring perhaps The Shield.

Advertisement