Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

In imperial japan, kitty hellos you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was mostly in Hokkaido which is the northern district. So it was really nice, very foresty (wild bears and all) but rural, it's farm country up there.

I was supposed to be in Tokyo for a few days but my flight there was delayed by a hurricane :( so I didn't get to spend long there! The imperial palace was amazing. I liked the meiji shrine too. I was there before the skytree was built but apparently it's nice!

And if you find one? Go to Moss Burger, I loved that place :D

Nice one. We're looking at Tokyo, then Kyoto and finishing with Osaka with a day out in Hiroshima sandwiched in between. We're leaving Hokkaido out to be pragmatic. We've only 2 weeks.
    Oh...and be prepared for loads of hello kitty.

It was everywhere! Couldn't escape it!

I love cats. Can't wait to see a cat café.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Nice one. We're looking at Tokyo, then Kyoto and finishing with Osaka with a day out in Hiroshima sandwiched in between. We're leaving Hokkaido out to be pragmatic. We've only 2 weeks.

I love cats. Can't wait to see a cat café.

Oh god yeah, Hokkaido is nice and all but...definitely wouldn't be high up on the tourist list!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I was thinking of Madrid but when I went there we did the cultural stuff like the Prada, the palace, Real stadium etc. Not sure what it is like for going out.
    Very good actually PR. Spain in general is(outside the Costa del Tourist areas). Some great pubs and clubs and eateries around the centre. Safe enough too. It really helps to have local guides mind you. And if you're a beer drinker the small glasses can be a pain. Best to order two at a time. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Wibbs wrote: »
    Very good actually PR. Spain in general is(outside the Costa del Tourist areas). Some great pubs and clubs and eateries around the centre. Safe enough too. It really helps to have local guides mind you. And if you're a beer drinker the small glasses can be a pain. Best to order two at a time. :D
    Plus cheap drinks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Aye, been doing research on trip advisor, some good feedback on it. Thinking of attending the bull fighting when there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Jaysus D at last count I have over 25 of the ticking, humming, mechanical, electromechanical and electronic wrist bastards.* :o I soooo don't need any more. But I do have my eye on... :eek::D

Oh and only other watch nutters ever notice a nice/cool/expensive watch.

*in fairness I've rarely paid more than 100-200 quid for any of them and the most I ever paid was 1400 quid and I needed many stiff drinks after that one. Still I'd get two grand for it today in an easy sale so not too bad.

I know sure I was taking the píss :pac:

Got a fossil watch while in the states - had one years ago that I absolutely loved but it broke, it cost a fortune to fix and it was from an ex so I left it go

Must put up a pic of the new one up on the W&T forum actually - it's gun metal grey with blue dials - I'm obsessed with blue so I'm in love with it!

Sounds like an unreal trip man, you must be looking forward to it loads are you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

D'Agger wrote: »
    Sounds like an unreal trip man, you must be looking forward to it loads are you?

I am indeed. Should be worth it hopefully!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've not been to Japan, but a family friend has and was very positive about it. I did look up flights once or twice before and they were about €800 - a good bit cheaper than flights to New Zealand or and Vietnam. But, we all know that flights can be all over the place.

• Advertisement

Happy Friday all

Don't forget to get down

I've not been to Japan, but a family friend has and was very positive about it. I did look up flights once or twice before and they were about €800 - a good bit cheaper than flights to New Zealand or and Vietnam. But, we all know that flights can be all over the place.

They're actually not too bad at the moment. We're doing it in late March/early April and it's about £500 from Dublin or £560 from London.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Ravenhill is looking well since they renovated it last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

just back from a trip between Biarritz, San Sebastian and Bilbao would recommend them highly, especially Bilbao at this time of the year. San Sebastian would be class in the summer. In Bilbao we were paying 1.60 for beautiful red wine in places, 12 for a bottle in a restaurant. Plus the Guggenheim is class to visit. Good if you're looking to catch a game too.

mackg wrote: »
    just back from a trip between Biarritz, San Sebastian and Bilbao would recommend them highly, especially Bilbao at this time of the year. San Sebastian would be class in the summer. In Bilbao we were paying 1.60 for beautiful red wine in places, 12 for a bottle in a restaurant. Plus the Guggenheim is class to visit. Good if you're looking to catch a game too.
    That sounds like my kinda trip. I was under the impression that Bilbao was quite industrial from what I'd heard - would you say that's true?

Enquired with an online wine store to try get my hands on a really nice 2012 merlot that I'd had on holidays - they can only get in a 2007 and it'd cost a fortune so I'll just try some new ones out in the mean time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

That sounds like my kinda trip. I was under the impression that Bilbao was quite industrial from what I'd heard - would you say that's true?

Enquired with an online wine store to try get my hands on a really nice 2012 merlot that I'd had on holidays - they can only get in a 2007 and it'd cost a fortune so I'll just try some new ones out in the mean time :)

It's not touristy and there isn't a beach but for a relaxing holiday it's great. While it does have an industrial kind of vibe as opposed to touristy the old town is beautiful. It's a maze of tapas bars , restaurants and little shops. we agreed it was our favorite part of the trip. You can go from the city to vineyards and stuff too. An America I was talking to over there summed it up brilliantly as what would be a great place to go to college, hip and kinda arty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

As some one who is getting married soon have any of the lads here any advice for me? Few beers the night before? Few beers that morning? How long did your speech go on for etc? Whats are the do's and don'ts for a groom on the wedding day?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Enjoy yourself. Don't drink too much. Have a nice breakfast. Remember the day is about you as much as the bride. Chat to as many guests as possible, remember people are paying you the compliment of coming to your wedding so don't judge people harshly. Things will go wrong - accept it and don't let it annoy you.

Yeah was an industrial city but it's been hugely improved. San Sebastian is more snobbish and kind of stuck up. Both are great for drinking and pintxos in small local restaurants.
    Besides, the coast is well known for surfing.

I must really look into surfing lessons, hoping to go camping and kayaking up arojnd Cavan/Fermannagh next spring or towards the summer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was just buying a few shirts in TM Lewin and the sales assistant told me that regular fit would not suit me and pointed me towards the slim fit section :D. All that running is paying off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im alive..

Im alive..
    I'm a massive fan of Richard Ayoade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I dont know what a tracker mortgage is.

Slattsy wrote: »
    I dont know what a tracker mortgage is.
    Ah an oldie, but a goodie!

Ah an oldie, but a goodie!

What you talking about? Im serious.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    As some one who is getting married soon have any of the lads here any advice for me? Few beers the night before? Few beers that morning? How long did your speech go on for etc? Whats are the do's and don'ts for a groom on the wedding day?

Not married myself - it is actually not an option for us so cant do it - but I have been to enough of them. I recommend ONE beer that morning. :) Too many and you're just gonna fluff something. But the atmosphere before a wedding - when you go down the early house for one drink with a select core friend circle - is always abuzz. One of the best memories from any wedding I have been at.

Yeah generally short speeches are good - peoples attention span is not what it used to be in the old days - unless you genuinely have some comical or highly engaging material.

I guess the only DONT is DONT worry about not getting to everyone. Do your best - the best way is to try and visit each table before people disperse. I have seen people with small weddings with only 20 guests who feel they did not have time to get around everyone for meets and greets and chat. So you can imagine what weddings with 50, 100 or 200 people are like!

I worked numerous weddings when I was in college

My advice is to do the speeches after the meal rather than before if it's going to mean people are eating late - it's always a gripe I've overheard especially from older guests. They also don't like waiting too long for their sweets so after is normally a good call as it gives the staff time to clear off tables & get toast drinks out.

The best speeches imo, have had a good mix of humour and nostalgia/kindness about them. Speeches that try overly hard to be funny can be cringey - especially if they're long speeches! And finally, the main reason I started typing - please don't start the speech with the comparison to a mini skirt ('Short enough to be interesting, but long enough to cover the essentials') - whilst that is solid advice - and I've no doubt starting off with a joke is good for the speakers confidence, I've heard that opening far, far too many times used as a starter and you can guarantee the majority of the guests have too over the years

I used that line when I was best man for me mate, and it went down really well and seriously gained confidence from it.

I knew it was common enough but I was surprised at how many people said afterwards that they'd never heard it.

Maybe it was sympathy laughter!

I used that line when I was best man for me mate, and it went down really well and seriously gained confidence from it.

I knew it was common enough but I was surprised at how many people said afterwards that they'd never heard it.

Maybe it was sympathy laughter!
    Yeah, like I said - good start for the speech maker is always good and it always did get laughs but I've heard it a few times since from being at weddings myself and I'd love to hear something original is all. Some thought or deeper googling into witty quotes about speeches or weddings could yield results

Just gave a look there and came across a nice take on it:
    Normally people use a mini skirt as an analogy for a good best mans speech, but I'm hoping it's more like a pair of trousers – tight enough to make sure all eyes are on me, but with enough ‘give’ to allow for a bit of expansion in certain areas!

But that's not funny!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've a wedding coming up. Not sure if I'm expected to give a speech as the oldest sibling - possibly?

Never heard the mini skirt thing.

I've a wedding coming up. Not sure if I'm expected to give a speech as the oldest sibling - possibly?

Never heard the mini skirt thing.

See D'agger. See !!!!

But that's not funny!!!

Neither are overdone jokes you ignoramus!

Neither are overdone jokes you ignoramus!

Please refer to Black Oils post above :p

Please refer to Black Oils post above :p
    Don't mind that ignoramus :pac:

Any weekend plans folks? Halloween parties etc?

Im an Ignoramus-Rex

Im an Ignoramus-Rex
    For halloween?? What does that costume work?

T-Rex costume with a YOLO shirt on or something?

I havnt really thought the dynamics through yet.

Weekend plans? Sort out the space time continuum, the usual. :cool:

Might watch something horror-ish.

• Advertisement

Might watch something horror-ish.

You can come watch my 6 month old eat if you wish. That fills me with more horror than anything else I could offer you.

Ahhh d'aul continuum eh, can't knock it :)

Movies and booze.
    Can't go wrong.

Barna77 wrote: »
    Movies and booze.
    Can't go wrong.
    Any movies in particular Brana?

Went to see Fury last night - I think I had heard mixed things about it going in so I'm not sure if I was affected by that, because I thought it was okay but not brilliant. There were a few clichés that bothered me and for some reason the bullets were greenish/something out of Star Wars

Any movies in particular Brana?

Went to see Fury last night - I think I had heard mixed things about it going in so I'm not sure if I was affected by that, because I thought it was okay but not brilliant. There were a few clichés that bothered me and for some reason the bullets were greenish/something out of Star Wars
    Not sure, it's a DVD / PS4 session, have to wait till I get to my mate's and plunder his dvd collection. Elvira Mistress of the Dark for the laughs :D

Hmmm want to see Fury, but I'm getting mixed reviews too.
    Saw Ghostbusters the other night. Cinema was full, but man, it was good to see it on the big screen.

Watching The Fisher King, curious film.

• Advertisement

Barna77 wrote: »
    Hmmm want to see Fury, but I'm getting mixed reviews too.
    Saw Ghostbusters the other night. Cinema was full, but man, it was good to see it on the big screen.

It's a good cinema movie given the action and sound in it. What I would say is go in with an open mind - I was annoyed with something from the opening shot which half set the tone for me but I'm pedantic to the hilt!

It's a victim of it's own hype given the trailer looked absolutely epic in fairness. There were just one or two things that bugged me about it - overall I'd recommend it but it's a 7.5 / 8 out of 10. I think the problem is people were expecting a 9/10

Ghostbusters....I'd love to see that in the cinema :eek:
    Watching The Fisher King, curious film.

Must really watch that movie, supposed to be brilliant

Not really sure how I'd sum it up as a film. Robin Williams seems to avoid being over the top anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

For halloween?? What does that costume work?

T-Rex costume with a YOLO shirt on or something?

Speaking of YOLO...

Ghostbusters....I'd love to see that in the cinema :eek:

Funnily enough, the local Cineworld had it on on Tuesday. I'd not seen it before. Fantastic film!

How're you all after the weekends gents/ladies?

• Advertisement
Advertisement