Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Went off Sunday morning with a few lads wandering through a forest stopping every once and a while to shoot arrows at rubber animal targets. Great craic!

Bonus is that it's only a few kilometres from my house. Lovely Pine and Beech Coillte forest that they have permission to use for their club.

I need to get involved in a local men's shed that is just starting off, be good to meet people, in the area a year but with the house move and our wedding I was pre-occupied. Anyone involved in sheds here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

First I've heard of Men's Sheds, I have to say. Quick Google and it seems interesting enough. Have you any experience with one before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Went off Sunday morning with a few lads wandering through a forest stopping every once and a while to shoot arrows at rubber animal targets. Great craic!

Bonus is that it's only a few kilometres from my house. Lovely Pine and Beech Coillte forest that they have permission to use for their club.

I need to get involved in a local men's shed that is just starting off, be good to meet people, in the area a year but with the house move and our wedding I was pre-occupied. Anyone involved in sheds here?
    That sounds like unreal craic!

Don't know much about the sheds, getting out and doing something different is the way to go though, if you can be active and get some exercise while doing it all the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Decided to finish How To Make A Murderer, 5 episodes, 2 in the morning finished it, had to be up at 7AM to travel 2 hours to Uni. Worth it :D

D'Agger wrote: »

That sounds like unreal craic!

Don't know much about the sheds, getting out and doing something different is the way to go though, if you can be active and get some exercise while doing it all the better

If you google "Limerick Yeomen" you'll see some details.

http://www.lmkyeomen.com

On mobile so not sure the above URL is clickable. Seems it's called Field Archery. I was taking the p*ss out of my friend that brought me along that he was just trying to live out his Game of Thrones fantasies!

Will let people know here how I get on with the shed, hoping there is a good mix of lads, would love to learn a bit about woodwork etc. and I can pass on my computer knowledge, brewing etc. all while having a laugh hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sheds are a great idea. Good that you can bring something to the table aswell.

Was up since 4am with an energetic 2 year old. He is napping now while I am sitting here assessing tax on sports cars :(

Tired

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sports cars? Not your own I'm guessing...

I've had a simultaneous reoccurence of a foot injury that has dogged me for the last 5 months and a neck injury that has dogged me for the last 2.5 years. Also I'm getting a sinus infection. FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MojiGoji

Anyone doing anything fun for Culture Night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

I've had a simultaneous reoccurence of a foot injury that has dogged me for the last 5 months and a neck injury that has dogged me for the last 2.5 years. Also I'm getting a sinus infection. FML.
    I have a cold for a few weeks, got a stye in my eye and today got a toothache all this on 6 hours sleep a night due to traveling to Uni . I know how you feel brother

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Morning all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moaning. My damned phone is acting the maggot. #firstworldproblems :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Morning.

Anyone read the Economist? Thought this articulates well my worries about the nature of online discourse. Feelings trumping facts on the rise on both ends of the political spectrum.

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21706498-dishonesty-politics-nothing-new-manner-which-some-politicians-now-lie-and

... sorry to be such a downer.

... sorry to be such a downer.

There were too many long words in there for a Tuesday morning. I was saving it until after lunch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So.... after moving and now sitting around work trying to imitate being useful I'm trying to sort out tickets for the Ireland v Moldova match next month.

I go on the FAI site and figure I need to create an account so I do that. Then it turns out I need a second account but I can create one. I email support and they send me a password so all's good. However, I need to apply for a ticket and pay a deposit to apply.

I expected bad but jaysus all my expectations have been well and truly exceeded.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

You would nearly be better off buying them at the stadium on the night. Unlikely to be a sell out I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

mzungu wrote: »
    You would nearly be better off buying them at the stadium on the night. Unlikely to be a sell out I'd say.

Would prefer to support the team. I've forgotten why though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

You can buy them from the official outlets on the night of the match. No matches have sold out in recent years barring the big ones like Germany and Poland.
    I can pick up some tickets if you like. As a season ticket holder FAI usually send me an e-mail giving us first dibs at any tickets.

Germany - What a game. Stadium went nuts when Shane Long scored

Tickets sorted! Only cost €7.50. Kinda wish I'd opted for the premium ones though in a former Warsaw pact nation it'd hardly make much difference.

• Advertisement

Frightened Rabbit tickets go on sale at 10am for their Irish tour. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Ticket's for Iron Maiden's Irish show next May go on sale next Friday at 9am :D

Just saw the line up for Metropolis in the RDS, start of November....very excited :D

Happy Friday y'all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Buying my ticket for that next week!

Have a great November lined up. Metropolis to start it off.

Mick Jenkins - Nov 16th - The Acedemy
    Chance The Rapper - Nov 17th - Tilburg, NL
    Amsterdam - Nov 18th-20th
    Chance The Rapper (again) - Nov 23rd, The Green Room.

Heading to India with work on Monday for two weeks again, but a few of us have decided to stop off in Dubai for two nights on the way home. Not exactly the biggest fan of the India trip, but I can't wait for Dubai. Have never been there, so should be an experience.

Free festival on Dublin this weekend actually, Canalaphonic, will likely go check that out!

Knex. wrote: »
    Buying my ticket for that next week!

Have a great November lined up. Metropolis to start it off.

Mick Jenkins - Nov 16th - The Acedemy
    Chance The Rapper - Nov 17th - Tilburg, NL
    Amsterdam - Nov 18th-20th
    Chance The Rapper (again) - Nov 23rd, The Green Room.

Heading to India with work on Monday for two weeks again, but a few of us have decided to stop off in Dubai for two nights on the way home. Not exactly the biggest fan of the India trip, but I can't wait for Dubai. Have never been there, so should be an experience.

Free festival on Dublin this weekend actually, Canalaphonic, will likely go check that out!
    I'll probably go on Saturday only because of funds but I'd love to see Cyril Hahn on Friday!

Very jealous, would love to be travelling a bit with my job but the closest I got recently is a talk after work in the Clarion :D

Must listen to Chance the Rapper some more, gave his recent album a listen a while back but was working and don't recall it standing out, heard a great piano cover of same drugs recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Happy out with the result of Man United/Leicester, 3 points and a commanding performance.

Hate CPD. 3 hours of afterwork lectures when all I want is my bed.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Getting a certification PR? Fair play for doing it seeing as you've kids, how you'd find time for pretty much anything outside of work, food and sleeping when you've children to look after is beyond me!

What area do you work in if you don't mind me asking?

I really should take my own CPD more seriously, today I'm actually creating my development goals for the next year or two, easier said than done sometimes.

I work in Software Development, been managing a team now for the past 15 months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Started a pension in work a few months ago, and now myself and the girlfriend are talking about starting to save for a mortgage.

I'm feeling very grown up.

Have to do 20 hours class based learning per year and then 50 or so non class based. In typical fashion it is all left until the end of the year despite my grandiose plans in Jan.

Have to do 20 hours class based learning per year and then 50 or so non class based.

Fúuuuuuuuuuuck that

What area do you work in if you don't mind me asking?

Tax/accounts

Have to do 20 hours class based learning per year and then 50 or so non class based. In typical fashion it is all left until the end of the year despite my grandiose plans in Jan.

Grandiose plans?

Grandiose plans?

200_s.gif

:P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Kev.OC wrote: »
    Started a pension in work a few months ago, and now myself and the girlfriend are talking about starting to save for a mortgage.

Adult, Adult, We've got an Adult over here!!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Anyone have any plans for the weekend?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Kev.OC wrote: »

When shall we appoint you tGC Minister for Finance?

When shall we appoint you tGC Minister for Finance?

The safest option is probably to wait til I'm in a box in the ground. :p

Feeling dirty and disgusted with myself

Actually paid for a TV licence today for the first time in around 10 years:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I pay for one TV license at the moment, they are trying to get me to pay for another.. fupp that, I dont even watch the TV for the one I'm paying for :mad:

Back in work today. Not a happy camper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Feeling dirty and disgusted with myself

Actually paid for a TV licence today for the first time in around 10 years:(

I honestly never knew how much it cost till last week, Im 30 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kal El wrote: »
    I honestly never knew how much it cost till last week, Im 30 :o

32 and still never paid for one. :D

Although I did just get rid of my TV so no need for one anymore I guess!

Just got the TV license notification....two months after I finally caved and paid for it, I'll be waiting it out just as long this time around I'd say :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

o1s1n wrote: »
    32 and still never paid for one. :D

Although I did just get rid of my TV so no need for one anymore I guess!

Hipster :pac:
    Saying that I lived the last two years without one, only got one this year again since coming home. Didnt miss it tbh, so yeah bought a 60 inch two months ago :pac:

Do you've to pay for a TV license for a projector? My home of the future won't have a skybox or a tv hopefully

Yeah. In UK there are grey areas but in Ireland the law is more all encompassing. If you have a device capable of receiving a transmission (even if broken) a license is required.
    So pay up ya sponger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doesn't a projector fall into the same category as an LCD monitor? It can't receive a broadcast signal therefore isn't a television and doesn't require a license.

No idea tbh.
    If they ever bring in this broadcasting charge it won't matter anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement