Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bed

• 02-01-2014 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

Where is the best place to purchase a dog bed? I have a fab one that I bought in pet stop about two years ago. The material is water repellant and the covers can be taken off to wash them. Now the inner cushions smell so its time to get a whole new bed. I don't want to spend a fortune! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Louboutfan wrote: »
    Hi,

Where is the best place to purchase a dog bed? I have a fab one that I bought in pet stop about two years ago. The material is water repellant and the covers can be taken off to wash them. Now the inner cushions smell so its time to get a whole new bed. I don't want to spend a fortune! Thanks!

What kind of dog is it? I have 3 labs who just sprawl out and had a really hard time getting a bed for one of them who is a major fuss pot! I went into pet stop and asked for advice, they suggested a "dog mattress type" but it was incredibly expensive (a good €100 each) and I needed three which they didn't have in stock. After a googling I found the exact beds on zooplus for half the price.
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/waterproof_beds/155704
    This is also the same but just a different make.
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/waterproof_beds/191296
    You can get them in a rectangular shape with big raised edges either (I think a smaller dog that likes to curl would love this).
    I have them years now and they are still perfect, really strong, thick and have kept there shape. I put a single duvet folded on top (with a duvet cover) and then a throw over it so I rarely need to wash the mattress. It is dirt and water repellent and every part of it can go into the washing machine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Louboutfan

Millem wrote: »
    What kind of dog is it? I have 3 labs who just sprawl out and had a really hard time getting a bed for one of them who is a major fuss pot! I went into pet stop and asked for advice, they suggested a "dog mattress type" but it was incredibly expensive (a good €100 each) and I needed three which they didn't have in stock. After a googling I found the exact beds on zooplus for half the price.
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/waterproof_beds/155704
    This is also the same but just a different make.
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/waterproof_beds/191296
    You can get them in a rectangular shape with big raised edges either (I think a smaller dog that likes to curl would love this).
    I have them years now and they are still perfect, really strong, thick and have kept there shape. I put a single duvet folded on top (with a duvet cover) and then a throw over it so I rarely need to wash the mattress. It is dirt and water repellent and every part of it can go into the washing machine :)

Thank you so much! It's a lab we have too. Which size did you go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Louboutfan wrote: »
    Thank you so much! It's a lab we have too. Which size did you go for?

We got the middle size and it is perfect. Our fusspot is quite tall and around 34kg. One is small only around 26/27kg and the other one is around 32kg. The little one curls up and often goes into the same bed as the one of the other two. But I still wouldn't go for the smaller size as the inner pad is 90cm the smaller size is 75cm and I think would be too small if your dog likes to stretch. Mine use the outer cushion as a pillow for their heads lol. My beds are 4 and 1/2 years old and honestly in perfect condition. They are so comfy with duvet on them. The dog who is 32kg is very old with arthritis, hip problems she also is incontinent. She is on medicine for all but still has the occasional leak, because I have the duvet and blanket it rarely goes through but if it does it is no big deal as the bed dries very quick! I noticed the brown one is actually cheaper on the German zooplus site!
    http://www.zooplus.de/shop/hunde/hundebett/hundekissen/wasserabweisend/42484

The bigger one would be perfect too I just didn't go for it as I have to fit 3 into one room(and sometimes 4 as my parent's lab have one too). Measure your dogs old bed and you will get an idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got one of these hi k9 ones before xmas for downstairs when they had a 20% off sale. Now they are expensive BUT the bed it replaced (which has been moved upstairs so still in use) is 3 years old and only cost €25 so I figured I'd gotten my money's worth! :p They dogs LOVE it and it's nice and neat too compared to the old one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have a couple of big beds, too big that the inner cushion doesn't fit in the washing machine and at least once, or maybe twice a year I put the inner cushion into the bath with some washing powder and let it soak for a few hours. Rinse well and roll up to drain as much water out as possible and then put it out to dry in the sun. I have a kind of rockery wall surrounding the decking so I'll put it on that to let the air circulate around and dry it quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a couple of big beds, too big that the inner cushion doesn't fit in the washing machine and at least once, or maybe twice a year I put the inner cushion into the bath with some washing powder and let it soak for a few hours. Rinse well and roll up to drain as much water out as possible and then put it out to dry in the sun. I have a kind of rockery wall surrounding the decking so I'll put it on that to let the air circulate around and dry it quicker.

I do the same with a big bed here, chuck it in the bath to soak, rinse well, roll up and squeeze as much water as possible out, then hang outside.
    Stays fresh for ages, just make sure it's a bio powder, not non bio. (I like the lidl stuff, smells fresh and is very cheap, I wash all the animals stuff in it with no issues)

Advertisement