Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Media-Centre for free-sat TV recording

• 02-01-2014 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I built a HTPC a couple of years back, with the help of you guys, and it runs great. Only thing annoys me is WMC with faulty EPG and other problems.

Whats the best or easiest alternative to use? I have a blackgold bgt3595 with 2 sat and 2 dig terestrial channels. I would like something my four year old can use. XBMC seems to get the most mention here but I have no experience of it. Free is great but I am willing to spend a bit if it gets me a better quality package.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is there any reason you have not tried XBMC for yourself?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Windows_specific_FAQ

Alternatively you could try Openelec operating system (on a USB stick) with XBMC ...... but I am unsure about the availability of drivers from the manufacturer of your tuner card.
    I selected TBS cards for my HTPC because Blackgold kept issuing empty promises about their drivers.

http://openelec.tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Diamond7

I installed XBMC last night, but could not get it to work. I have no idea what add-ons I need. I chanced enabling MediaPortal PVR add-on that was on there, but it did not work, said connection lost, same for MythTV add-on.
    I have no idea how any of this works, and I could not find anywhere in settings to configure a TV tuner. Dont know what front-end/back-end means. is it possible I need some other backend software aswell?

I also tried installing MediaPortal itself but turns out it does not support my blackgold tuner.

I use the PC for more than just home theatre so openelec doesn't fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Redriddick

I use xbmc with dvbviewer and have to say its great.
    You need to buy dvbviewer but it only €15 i think.
    Set it up as a recording service and use the xbmc add on and away you go.
    It can record channels with full epg and picons.
    It takes a bit of setting up but when done your there.
    Also you can set it up like a program on windows and just go into it if you dont want to combine it with xbmc!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

Sounds like you've given up on WMC, but just to say I've got WMC running superbly using a few extra tweaks: GuideTool (for 99% correct EPG), My Channel Logos (Channel logos & 11 rows of EPG data) & Media Center Studio (fantastic themes for a visually striking interface). It does take a bit of tweaking but then so does the alternatives. My 6 year-old uses it no bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Frontend - the interface you see on the tv and interact
    Backend - a server that controls the tuner card and handles recording.

XBMC is frontend only, you need some sort of backend for xbmc to connect to. If you are on Windows then Mediaportal is your best bet.
    Go here to download, http://www.team-mediaportal.com/ it is free. They also have guides on how to set up the server, you can use the built in frontend or xbmc, either should work though I prefer xbmc.

• Advertisement

My head is wrecked.
    Checked out Mediaportal, but it doesn't support my (blackgold) tuner.
    Got Dvbviewer pro trial version, to see if it will support same, it does, but is very slow, stops even at times, and I can not get the terestrial tuners up. Can't get XMBC to work with Dvbviewer trial, but don't want to pay for Dvbviewer if it works like the trial has done so far.
    Tried Guidetool for WMC, sorted my channel list out, took ages, just figured out how to fix guide listing subscriptions, will have to do it manually for nearly every channel, but at least at the end of it I will have a WMC that works kinda right.

Would love a simple switch to some nicer software than WMC. I don't mind putting in a bit of effort if the result is good, but so far it has taken a lot of hours and still stuck with WMC; although now with a nearly working EPG at least.

Thanks for your input so far, guys. I know what works for some is different for others...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Diamond7 wrote: »
    Checked out Mediaportal, but it doesn't support my (blackgold) tuner.
    Really? Did a quick search and I found this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68878944 where people are talking about that exact card working in mediaportal. I'm not too familiar with either tuner cards in windows (always preferred linux on my htpc) or that brand so I probably can't help, but it at least seems possible to run mediaportal with that card.

I'll have to check that out so. Mediaportal gave a large list of supported tuner cards, but no blackgold. Sure no harm trying it out, I've gone this far... Thanks

Advertisement