Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors surgery Dublin

Options
  • 02-01-2014 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, I've recently moved to Dublin and I have been looking for a good doctor around the city, I need to get stitches out of my hand soon so I've been looking around, I've read good things about Suffolk street surgery and mixed reviews on a lot, just wondering if anyone has a good one and if they accept the medical card? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I go to Suffolk Street surgery. I've gone about 4 times over two years and I would highly recommend them. Friendly and professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I thought with a medical card you are assigned a GP and you may only go to that GP, as that GP is the only one that receives money for you? You just cant randomly walk into any private practice and expect to be served. However the HSE D Doc in Ballymun, which accepts any medical card patients as far as I know is amazing in my experience. There is super secure parking in the back of it and a ton of security in the clinic so there is no need to feel unsafe.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

hfallada wrote: »
    I thought with a medical card you are assigned a GP and you may only go to that GP, as that GP is the only one that receives money for you? You just cant randomly walk into any private practice and expect to be served.
    That's not strictly correct. From [URL="Http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/entitlement_to_health_services/medical_card.html"]citizens information[/URL]:
    You can use your medical card for up to 3 months if you are living temporarily outside your Local Health Office area. In this case, you can attend any GP in the area participating in the medical card scheme. If you are going to be away longer than 3 months, you should apply to the Local Health Office of that area for a medical card. If you move to a different part of your own Local Health Office area, you can apply to change your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,905 ✭✭✭✭L1011

hfallada wrote: »
    I thought with a medical card you are assigned a GP and you may only go to that GP, as that GP is the only one that receives money for you? You just cant randomly walk into any private practice and expect to be served. However the HSE D Doc in Ballymun, which accepts any medical card patients as far as I know is amazing in my experience. There is super secure parking in the back of it and a ton of security in the clinic so there is no need to feel unsafe.

You can move your medical card at will assuming you find a GP willing to take it.

You, however, should not be attending DDoc for regular occurrences - its an emergency service only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

DDoc is out of hours only and should not be used in place of a regular doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Been going on and off for the last couple of years to the D2 Medical centre. Can't fault them at all. Both doctors are some of the best I have dealt with over the years. Not sure if they take the medical card though. No harm in asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I can't give any advice on doctors but in relation to the medical card you can see a GP on a once off if you are registered in a different area.
    I'm a student in limerick but my doctor is in waterford. I recently had reason to find a doctor as I couldn't get home so I went in expecting to be asked to pay but the secretary said they could see me as I'm not from the area, I just had to sign a form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I can recommend Suffolk Street. Been going there for about five years now and have only good things to report regarding the doctors etc..

The only thing some people might have an issue with is that often there can be delays. For example, if your appointment is at 2pm, you might not get into the doctor until 2.20 or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 The Countess

I rang them and they accept a GP card so I can use my medical for them it just won't cover prescriptions, but that's ok. I'm going to try them thanks for the replies! Also as stated above you can use your medical card for three months, I do plan in getting it changed because I'll he in Dublin long term and I also need monthly prescriptions!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,905 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I rang them and they accept a GP card so I can use my medical for them it just won't cover prescriptions, but that's ok. I'm going to try them thanks for the replies! Also as stated above you can use your medical card for three months, I do plan in getting it changed because I'll he in Dublin long term and I also need monthly prescriptions!

If they accept a GP visit card they innately accept the medical card also - just make sure any prescription you get is on the GMS stationary with your medical card number on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 The Countess

MYOB wrote: »
    If they accept a GP visit card they innately accept the medical card also - just make sure any prescription you get is on the GMS stationary with your medical card number on it.

Thank you for that I will make sure it is! :)

Advertisement