Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance-Getting the best deal?

Options
  • 02-01-2014 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi. Does anyone know what's the best way to go about getting the best possible value health insurance policy?

Although the industry seems to be run by a limited number of companies is there any significant competition between them?

Anytime you hear Charlie Weston and the like on talk shows they are always on about asking for certain schemes that will never be offered to you unless you ask specifically for them. I forget which ones he was on about.

I'm a single male in my early 30's and would be looking for basic insurance to cover unexpected major illnesses only.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

www.hia.ie compares every available plan.

As a starting point, don't bother comparing VHI plans as they are likely to be the most expensive.

Laya, maybe essential 500 might be suitable for what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

ei9go wrote: »
    www.hia.ie compares every available plan.

As a starting point, don't bother comparing VHI plans as they are likely to be the most expensive.

Laya, maybe essential 500 might be suitable for what you want.
    Thanks for that link, that’s a really good site. I am finding the choice a little bit overwhelming though. I am currently on Aviva Level 1 Everyday which gives me a refund of €30 on GP and physio visits. However, I stupidly have never claimed for these in the six years I have been with them. My renewal cost this year is €1245 per adult, it seems I can get similar cover for approx €500-600 (without the GP visits) but there is a lot of GP visits in the €600 odd price difference! Like the OP, I really just want cover for hospital treatment or unexpected illness. How do you narrow down the 100’s of plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

help, my laya healthwise plus no excess was 850euro last year,they want 1600euro this year for the same plan.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

First thing I'd do is ring Laya and see is there anything they can do for you. Sometimes on the phone they can tailor plans better than they do on the internet so they might be able to find something that's cheaper but still meets your needs.

If the price is still high go onto the HIA website listed above and you can compare your plan with similar from other insurers to see if there's a better value one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

horse7 wrote: »
    help, my laya healthwise plus no excess was 850euro last year,they want 1600euro this year for the same plan.

Their Total health Complete plan is €969 and is similar but has a €50 or €125 excess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

appreciate that info,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You are entitled to take out a Company Scheme Plan however you will not be offered it so need to ask.
    Agree Laya's Total Health Complete plan is excellent value and qualifies for full tax relief.
    Laya's premiums are increasing on 1st March by 20%/30% so would advise you to take out plan before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Trish56 wrote: »
    Agree Laya's Total Health Complete plan is excellent value and qualifies for full tax relief.
    I think you'll find the figures quoted already include the tax relief!

Advertisement