Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charge on Visa Debit one year later [was "direct debit a year later"]

Options
  • 02-01-2014 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I had paid for breakdown cover for 7 years via direct debit. It was a small amount each month.
    At the end of 2012 I paid for 2013 in one lump via my visa debit.
    Now the company has deducted another years subscription without my consent, further more, that means they kept my bank details for the last year:eek:

I contacted them for a refund (as a new subscriber pays half what I payed), and still no refund 28 days later.

What next? getting the usual on hold, nobody there etc:mad:

mods, not sure if this is in correct forum...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most likely it's a recurring yearly debit agrrement, so yes they can keep your details and bill you again when it fell due.

You should be able to cancel if you've asked them too, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Many thanks,
    I never signed anything for a recurring dd, in fact it was online and no mention of a recurring or automatic renewal, especially when I am paying twice what I could get it for by going online.
    Where next with this if they don't come back?
    Small claims court?

You don't need to sign anything, especially if your doing it online or over the phone.

For example, if you try purchasing AA membership online, and go to the Payment Details section, your options are monthly OR annually (not once off, for a year). Assuming this was a similar set up, that implies a rolling charge. I'll say it's not the clearest I've seen, but I certainly would read it as something which is going to renew unless I stop it and not a once off. Without more details, it's hard for anyone to give you an exact answer, but unfortunately from what information you're giving it looks like you may have misunderstood the nature of what you were getting.

The OP has said it's a debit on his Visa Debit card, having switched from DD :)

Therefore, those references wouldn't appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The OP has said it's a debit on his Visa Debit card, having switched from DD :)

Ah... disregard everything I said so! No idea about any options he has for that...

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies,
    The fact I phoned them 2 days after the funds were removed , is there not some 14 day "cool off" period or something??

Sorted, thanks for replies. refund given

Advertisement