Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas in Kilke4nny

Options
  • 02-01-2014 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

All the posts about shopping in Kilkenny, not one mention of the church, has religion finally died not only in Kilkenny but Ireland as a whole.
    Where have all the carol singers gone?
    The council has made a mess of Christmas, yes so has the church, perhaps we can send them both on a fact finding tour of Europe to see where they have gone wrong.
    We can do arts festivals, comedy festivals and the like, but the most important festival of the year, sod all.
    Children of today have no concept of what Christmas is about, come to that nor have our clergy.
    Christmas present become ever more expensive, more high tech, games like Grand theft Auto dominate, nothing like the old days, go shopping and it is frequently a rip off.
    We now have Aldi in Callan, did I find the need to go to Kilkenny, no nothing exciting, I went to Clonmel, if I could find a shop in Callan that sold Pork Pies I would not have gone.
    One crib is that there is nowhere to buy ladies clothes in Callan, perhaps we are supposed to dress like the men?
    Come on think tank lets do better next Christmas than this bland excuse we have at the moment.
    Bishop, if you read the "Boards" get up off of your butt aqnd put some rockets under your clergy, make Christmas what it is supposed to be a time of rejoicing.
    Santa Foxy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Is it too much to ask for people to make their own fun and excitement these days? You want to have a wonderful Christmas? Make it wonderful yourself. I had a great one, and it was because of my own efforts, and those of my friends and family. You want your kids to know the "true" message of Christmas? Well tell 'em about it yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Personally I think you have lost the plot, yes we tell the children about Christmas and what it stands for, we always read "Twas the night before Christmas", grace is said at meal time, as is the norm.
    However one needs a social base, i.e. the church to provide authenticity to the story of Christ and such like, the wise men didn't arrive on Harley Davidson's, or drop out of the sky from a 787 of Ethiopian airways.
    We dress for Christmas night as we dress for Christmas dinner, as for television it too has lost the plot.
    but we are going deeper than that, Christmas in Kilkenny should be something enjoyed by all with communal spirit, home is for what you call entertainment of our own making.
    I wish you a pleasant and prosperous New Year
    Spiritual Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Well christmas is actually a pagan festival that Christianity took over when it was spreading,Since most now agree the chap would of been born so it really has nothing to do with jesus . So you can't really complain.
    Also christmas is not the most important festival of all. It may be in your religion though one could argue that Easter should be as the jesus fella apparently rose from the dead.

Christmas is a commercial holiday, like valentines, paddys day and halloween

What can one say about that last post, very sad almost humiliating, is it little wonder Boards has so few comments these days.
    I care not if it was a pagan festival, or Jesus or st Patrick were not whom we thought they were.
    Christmas is a traditional time of rejoicing, the Christian churches celebrate this time of year as do the followers of christian religions, hopefully your words will fall on deaf ears.
    All I can say is I hope the lord has mercy on your soul when the time comes for you to depart this world.
    I will never know your reply as I will not return to this thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

All the posts about shopping in Kilkenny, not one mention of the church, has religion finally died not only in Kilkenny but Ireland as a whole.

With luck, yes.
    Where have all the carol singers gone?

Plenty of Christmas carol events on in Kilkenny, Castle had them as did Loughboy.

Children of today have no concept of what Christmas is about, come to that nor have our clergy.......snip.....
    Bishop, if you read the "Boards" get up off of your butt aqnd put some rockets under your clergy, make Christmas what it is supposed to be a time of rejoicing.
    Santa Foxy

Rejoicing what exactly?

Christmas started as a non-christian event, if anything people just celebrating this time of year by having get togethers and having food etc is bringing it back to its roots.

These type of celebrations mainly are to do with celebrating the winter solstice. It sure as hell isn't the birth of some chap called Jesus because even if such a person existed they were not born on 25th December.

For the most part the parts most people really enjoy about Christmas have little or nothing to do with Jesus, the Christianity bishops or priests

- Santa Clause. Comes from St Nick who was a Greek Bishop (Modern Day Turkey) was a black man. He's now portrayed as a white man wearing clothes that Macy's and Coca Cola came up with.

- Christmas tree's, much more relevance to Thor then Jesus

- Mistletoe, stolen from Norse and Pegan beliefs and integrated into Christianity

- Celebrations in December, stem from winter solstice and have existed for thousands of years long before Christianity was invented

- Drinking and eating to excess...well thats just not christian :)

• Advertisement

What can one say about that last post, very sad almost humiliating, is it little wonder Boards has so few comments these days.
    I care not if it was a pagan festival, or Jesus or st Patrick were not whom we thought they were.
    Christmas is a traditional time of rejoicing, the Christian churches celebrate this time of year as do the followers of christian religions, hopefully your words will fall on deaf ears.
    All I can say is I hope the lord has mercy on your soul when the time comes for you to depart this world.

Why is it sad almost humiliating??

Also if you don't care if jesus was not who you think he was then maybe christianity isn't for you.

And no invisible man shall pass judgement on me when I die, But may the Valkyries find you worthy of Folkvagner when you die.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah, its not a busy website at all,
    Thats why its one of the busiest websites in Ireland

Foxy, if you want to celebrate Christmas in a church then nobody is stopping you, by all means knock yourself out and go to church every day if it makes you happy.

The Jesus thing is traditional for you and others that believe in it, but is is still factual for raze_them_all_ and myself to state that most of what you believe in at Christmas is made up or stolen from other gods/beliefs.

You can't force others to belief in your fairytales I'm afraid,

I hope the flying spaghetti monster touches you with his noodly appendages and that you honor the god Thor every Thursday (Thursday is in honor of Thor after all)

I hope that by doing both these things you come to realise that your believe in a false god by following the christian faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Foxy isn't trying to force anyone to believe anything in fairness - no need for the passive aggressive atheism lads.

Lets keep it jolly!

Sky King wrote: »
    Foxy isn't trying to force anyone to believe anything in fairness - no need for the passive aggressive atheism lads.

Lets keep it jolly!
    He really thinks christmas is about jesus, thinks my truthful post is sad and almost humiliating. Facts aren't passive agressive,we pointed out that christmas has roots well before christianity stole it. and where did anyone say they were athiest?

He then states he doesn't care if jesus isn't who he thinks he was, which is a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 amorphous

hopefully it has

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

He really thinks christmas is about jesus, thinks my truthful post is sad and almost humiliating. Facts aren't passive agressive,we pointed out that christmas has roots well before christianity stole it. and where did anyone say they were athiest?

He then states he doesn't care if jesus isn't who he thinks he was, which is a bit silly.

I think it's more her posting style tbh, she has crusades about aldi, Tesco and road crossings so it's wholly consistent she is on a mission for Jebus, I certainly wouldn't take offense or get het up about it. People can believe what they want, religious or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think it's more her posting style tbh, she has crusades about aldi, Tesco and road crossings so it's wholly consistent she is on a mission for Jebus, I certainly wouldn't take offense or get het up about it. People can believe what they want, religious or otherwise.

Foxy always struck me as male :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

One crib

How many do you need ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

road_high wrote: »

Ah, maybe I'm wrong then. He/she isn't coming back to this thread though so we can't confirm either way.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Me 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Mise freisin.

The below seems to say otherwise.
    One crib is that there is nowhere to buy ladies clothes in Callan, perhaps we are supposed to dress like the men?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Maybe he is a transvestite.

This would satisfy both criteria above.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sky King wrote: »
    Maybe he is a transvestite.

This would satisfy both criteria above.
    Now he/she is definately not coming back.
    Ah well usual Foxy, starts a discussion then flees.

I actually thought he/she was talking about being a grandfather there lately in one of his/her musings.

Well, having had the thread hi=jacked, why would one bother to add to it, and as to guessing my gender is perhaps interesting but totally irrelevant to the thread, age, interesting perhaps, just how many grandfathers or grandmothers go round Mondello at nearly 160km's.
    Such is life, perhaps one day all will be revealed. Happy new year

• Advertisement

Well, having had the thread hi=jacked

In fairness your thread wasn't hi-jacked, it stayed on topic but it just didn't go the way you might have liked (people agreeing with you).

Boards is a discussion forum so it would be a pretty boring place if everyone just agreed with the opening post in every thread,

If you want to rant about something but not have people discussing it (with different views to yours) then perhaps blogger.com is the way to go?

Wasn't Breakfast on Pluto foilmed in Callan a few years back, and featured a transvestite character? Just pointing it out, that's all :D

Sorry you are off track, no one was asking or discussing the roots of Christianity, there was no need to put that in the post, you might feel you have scored some brownie points.
    I was asking a serious question only one person said I was not setting religion up.
    I enjoy open debate, except when it goes off track.
    Foxy

Sorry you are off track, no one was asking or discussing the roots of Christianity, there was no need to put that in the post, you might feel you have scored some brownie points.
    I was asking a serious question only one person said I was not setting religion up.
    I enjoy open debate, except when it goes off track.
    Foxy

This is the Kilkenny forum though, I'm pretty sure there is a Christianity forum somewhere to discuss the above in.

No doubt you are correct in your assumption, however I was referring to Kilkenny not a broader audience, it appears hard work to make a point.
    I rest my case and trust that you will at least concur that the area was Kilkenny.

Advertisement