Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Superthread] Mayweather vs Pacman **NO STREAMING REQUESTS**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

efb wrote: »
    Out manoeuvre your opponent, maximum reward for minimum effort. He landed some class shots what do ye want- it's not Hollywood

How many? 3? 4? Wouldn't even call them shots. Jabs with a bit of snap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

No he's more like Barcelona. Sizes up his opponent and wins effectively turns on the style when required

Messi's, who is the embodiment of everything Barcelona, closest carbon copy is easily Manny. You're description if Barcelona above is a description of Chelsea or Athletico Madrid. Barcelona are nothing like that. Often they don't win effectively...often they win in the most difficult way possible but that's why they're so lauded. They don't turn on the style when required, it's never turned off. That's Barcelona and that's manny. Floyd us shrewd and tactically a genius. Like Chelsea or Athletico. Barca's tactics often are terrible. It's their freakish talent that gets them by. You really couldnt be more.wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

I had Pacman winning by 2(Hopeful) 1. Draw or Mayweather winning by 1. Will have to rewatch. The scorecard was a joke.

Go back to the pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I had Pacman winning by 2(Hopeful) 1. Draw or Mayweather winning by 1. Will have to rewatch. The scorecard was a joke.

Don't think so mate. You could give manny rounds 3 and 4. And maybe 6 and 7.

So even if you have manny up 4-3 after 7 rounds......he still loses by virtue of the fact that he only won a single round in the remaining 5 rounds. He lost. Whatever way you look at it.

We can talk about the margin but there is no doubting he lost the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Wasn't a great fight but wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Pac's lack of a jab and inability to cut off escape routes were big factors. He never got anything going with the exception of the straight left and he didn't throw that with the wild abandon that was needed either.

Floyd's jab and accuracy with the straight right was the key for him. Made Manny tentative and allowed Floyd to spend long stretched at centre-ring, where he dominated.

Floyd getting slammed on twitter by the casual fans but Floyd was Floyd. For it to be a really good fight Manny had to unsettle him throughout and he didn't. Probably not worth a six year wait in the end :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Lads, while I have ye. When's the next big fight there'll be a boards boxing forum hooly thread for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Kirby wrote: »
    UFC deals with fights well. No doubting that. You cant duck in the UFC....the fights get made. Kudos for that.

But this notion that there isn't Mayweather types in the UFC who just win and don't care how it looks is ridiculous. Half the guys in there wrestle to the ground and stay there for the round. And I'm not talking armbars, triangles and side control here. Just ground and pound and they lay on each other in exhaustion. That's not pretty either.

A bit of balance here.

Sure, there is a few like that such as GSP for example who are not the most exciting, but UFC has been combating that with the ref making them stand up or engage if nothing happens for a period of time. Dana white also makes an example out of fighters if they put on a poor performance by not engaging/ducking during a fight.

Also most dull fights in the UFC are only 3 rounds max, not 10/12 rounds of it dullness. Boxing is just too much effort to watch for a casual fan like myself (also a casual fan of UFC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jaysus that's pretty laughable tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Kirby wrote: »
    It was never going to be a spectacle. Mayweather is too good to let that happen. Box clever, win rounds. That's the name of the game. It was never going to be a classic. Just a demonstration of how good Mayweather is.

Of course this is true but many including myself tuned in regardless hoping to be proved wrong. Can't fault Mayweather after all he won just a shame Pac couldn't be more competitive with him.
    Why, if you don't have to?
    You don't have to sure but its not worth tuning in for that really if theres a rematch they can keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Messi's, who is the embodiment of everything Barcelona, closest carbon copy is easily Manny. You're description if Barcelona above is a description of Chelsea or Athletico Madrid. Barcelona are nothing like that. Often they don't win effectively...often they win in the most difficult way possible but that's why they're so lauded. They don't turn on the style when required, it's never turned off. That's Barcelona and that's manny. Floyd us shrewd and tactically a genius. Like Chelsea or Athletico. Barca's tactics often are terrible. It's their freakish talent that gets them by. You really couldnt be more.wrong here

That's a fair point but I mean that Mayweather had the skill and the guile to win fights he won't be dragged into a war. Maybe he's like arsenal but with a better defence - thr Invincibles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Mayweather made it look easy. Would've loved to have seen Manny really go in and attack him but it never happened. Not a disappointing fight as a FM UD was widely expected. A relatively uneventful meeting with very few surprises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Very dull fight and went the way I thought it would although I haven't watched a boxing match in ages.

Someone needs to bring the war to Mayweather when he tries to evade, Clubber Lang style by pulling him back in to the corner like Lang did to Rocky!!

Mayweather definitely had the more submission attempts. He went for a few guillotines here and there.....:pac:

@KatieTaylor: Mayweather makes it look so easy. Masterful performance.

Maybe ya'll listen to Katie Taylor...

Very dull fight and went the way I thought it would although I haven't watched a boxing match in ages.

Someone needs to bring the war to Mayweather when he tries to evade, Clubber Lang style by pulling him back in to the corner like Lang did to Rocky!!

Mayweather definitely had the more submission attempts. He went for a few guillotines here and there.....:pac:

Rocky was a movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

This fight was never going to set the world alight, Manny was out boxed by the better boxer and was unable to stamp any sort of authority on the fight, which he needed to do to unsettle Floyd.

It was always going to be an easy points win for Mayweather, the people who thought otherwise really are Manny fan boys or romanticists that believe in fairy tales that do their best to convince themselves that a certain outcome is possible because they've watched Rocky too much.

Mayweather is a prick who beat the nice noble guy that is Manny, get over it and accept it.
    Its reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

boxing is dead.
    tumblr_nnrc1yd2th1r88u00o1_400.gif

@mattmacklin: Was never gona be a fight of the year candidate but for the purist, u have to appreciate speed, defence, discipline & brain of Mayweather

But-Thats-None-Of-My-Business.jpg

@KatieTaylor: Mayweather makes it look so easy. Masterful performance.

Maybe ya'll listen to Katie Taylor...

efb they won't listen to anyone Tyson said it too but sure who are they ?

• Advertisement

@oscardelahoya said "Sorry boxing fans." and "Call me old school but I like the fans getting their money's worth by watching an action packed fight."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

In the prediction thread I said Mayweather with a late TKO, and I went for that because I honestly thought the fight would go the way it did, Floyd keeping Manny on the outside, using the jab and the straight right and pretty much having an easy night of it. I thought this would make Manny reckless in the later rounds in search of a knockout which in turn would mean he'd walk into a right cross or two and end up on his bum a few times. Instead Manny seemed afraid to try get inside of Floyds jab and was content with trying to pick off shots when Floyd was in the pocket rattling off a few himself.

In the end, a fighter who is known for attack attack attack tried to out box a vastly superior boxer and as a result was never really in with a chance of winning the only way he ever had a chance of doing so, by knock out.

Wasn't a terrible fight and went the way most people thought it would but I know Manny will kick himself for being so cautious.

Tinie wrote: »
    boxing is dead.
    tumblr_nnrc1yd2th1r88u00o1_400.gif

When did this happen ??? The fight I saw was floyd dominate the centre of the ring.

193 jabs thrown by manny 18 landed

@oscardelahoya said "Sorry boxing fans." and "Call me old school but I like the fans getting their money's worth by watching an action packed fight."

He'd a rival promoter with beef

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

wyUhnKE.png

Conor mcgregor talking sense to be fair

• Advertisement

@SugarRayLeonard: Congrats to @FloydMayweather tonight! Boxed well tonight! #MayweatherPacquaio #MayPac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

The fight was very one paced throughout which was set and dictated by Mayweather, and deserves great credit for utterly dominating and controlling Manny.

However Pacquaio performance was extremely underwhelming, and the temerity at the end to claim that he twice won the fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Just thought id through this up here.

Congratulations Mayweather, you got what you wanted; a Manny Pacquiao that clearly is far past his prime and is a shell of his former self. You just got paid 200 million dollars to run and go backwards, and cherry pick a fight that should have happened 5 years ago, because you knew you would have lost. What a ****ing travesty for boxing fans. We were robbed of a fight we deserved, because you're so scared of that undefeated record being broken.

I'll admit, Mayweather did win this fight on the score cards, but I can't respect you at all. I can't put you with the greats. Anyone who thinks this is "defense" or being a "technician" is a ****ing idiot. Sure, dancing around and running will win you decisions, but you're still a bitch. How can anyone root for this man or think he's great? He's a pussy. Congrats on ducking Manny until you knew you would win.

That's not boxing to me, there's more than just winning and a great record when it comes to being a great, you have to go toe to toe and actually fight other greats to solidify yourself as better thant hat man. And I watched it, Flloyd was his same old self. He is scared to go toe to toe. Sure, what he did is smart to win on score cards and keep that undefeated record, and logically the objective is to win; but I can't respect that strategy or put him up there with the greats. Anyone who thinks that was a good fight or Mayweather was great is fooling themselves.

I won't lie, Manny looked awful also, his former self had fury in his punches and was just as fast as Mayweather. Pacquiao used to be active and move his feet. It's sad to see such a great look so bad, but Flloyd knew this would happen and ducked all these years. It's no secret that he avoided him when they were in their prime, that's well documented. I'm just pissed for myself and all boxing fans, we were robbed of a great fight.

Congratulations Mayweather, you got what you wanted; a Manny Pacquiao that clearly is far past his prime and is a shell of his former self. You just got paid 200 million dollars to run and go backwards, and cherry pick a fight that should have happened 5 years ago, because you knew you would have lost. What a ****ing travesty for boxing fans. We were robbed of a fight we deserved, because you're so scared of that undefeated record being broken.

I'll admit, Mayweather did win this fight on the score cards, but I can't respect you at all. I can't put you with the greats. Anyone who thinks this is "defense" or being a "technician" is a ****ing idiot. Sure, dancing around and running will win you decisions, but you're still a bitch. How can anyone root for this man or think he's great? He's a pussy. Congrats on ducking Manny until you knew you would win.

That's not boxing to me, there's more than just winning and a great record when it comes to being a great, you have to go toe to toe and actually fight other greats to solidify yourself as better thant hat man. And I watched it, Flloyd was his same old self. He is scared to go toe to toe. Sure, what he did is smart to win on score cards and keep that undefeated record, and logically the objective is to win; but I can't respect that strategy or put him up there with the greats. Anyone who thinks that was a good fight or Mayweather was great is fooling themselves.

I won't lie, Manny looked awful also, his former self had fury in his punches and was just as fast as Mayweather. Pacquiao used to be active and move his feet. It's sad to see such a great look so bad, but Flloyd knew this would happen and ducked all these years. It's no secret that he avoided him when they were in their prime, that's well documented. I'm just pissed for myself and all boxing fans, we were robbed of a great fight.

I stopped reading half way down jealously is a terrible thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can't put it any better than this tbh:

https://twitter.com/ajprice803/status/594733132982673408

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »

Goodman Austin whoever you are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

All this did was make me super excited for UFC fight night next weekend... going to be KO's galore and of course mcgregor aldo in July.

Goodman Austin whoever you are

Not my Twitter account, if you were implying that it was. Just saw it RT'ed on my feed.

I'd say Austin rice loves a row outside a chipper at two in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I'm just glad it's done with. The people who only watched boxing for this 'rivalry' will go away and the rest of us can move on. It's been poisoning the sport for 5 years.

Hmmm Katie Taylor or random Twitter accounts... It's a tough one!!!!

He'd a rival promoter with beef

oh ok I wouldn't know that.

Theres no doubting Mayweathers skill but has he had a KO recently?

Seems like he jabs away and then runs the clock down counter punching.The greats go for the kill. I thought he could have stopped him if he opened up a bit in the later rounds.

My wife said during the fight, this is silly as that guy(mayweather) isnt fighting at all pacman.gif

oh ok I wouldn't know that.

Theres no doubting Mayweathers skill but has he had a KO recently?

Seems like he jabs away and then runs the clock down counter punching.The greats go for the kill. I thought he could have stopped him if he opened up a bit in the later rounds.

My wife said during the fight, this is silly as that guy(mayweather) isnt fighting at all pacman.gif

She knows as much as you so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

Henno30 wrote: »
    I'm just glad it's done with. The people who only watched boxing for this 'rivalry' will go away and the rest of us can move on. It's been poisoning the sport for 5 years.

Yup, and boxing can move back into the shadows for the masses and slowly fade into obscurity like it has been the past few years.

Some people should really just watch boxing in the movies

• Advertisement

Hmmm Katie Taylor or random Twitter accounts... It's a tough one!!!!

Hmmm

https://twitter.com/miketyson/status/594736142286659584

Mike Tyson or Katie Taylor....it's a tough one!!!

Yup, and boxing can move back into the shadows for the masses and slowly fade into obscurity like it has been the past few years.

Those PPV numbers really make it seem very faded...

Hmmm

He's just saying he was underwhelmed - he was never big on style was our Mike...

Maybe it wasn't biting enough for him

Hmmm

Look at sky sports news next hour I saw Tyson say to the camera floyd Is great and unbeatable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

The greats go for the kill. [/IMG]

The greats go for the win.

He's just saying he was underwhelmed - he was never big on style was our Mike...

Yeah and that's exactly what we're all saying? What kind of bubble are you living in? Tyson wasn't entertained, I wasn't entertained, most of the people who watched the fight weren't entertained. Nobody with a bit of sense here questioned Floyd's ability, he's world class.

He's just boring as fook and I'd take an MMA fight over a Mayweather fight any day of the week. You have to realise a lot of people ONLY watch Mayweather when it comes to boxing. That is the standard by which they view the sport. A high, but unentertaining, defensive standard. Why is that so hard for you to accept? Are you Floyd's daddy?

Look at sky sports news next hour I saw Tyson say to the camera floyd Is great and unbeatable

And he's right. But he's boring. Just like efb, I don't know what case you're arguing. It wasn't an entertaining fight to watch, it does the sport little good in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Hmmm

A professional all time great who knows what he is talking about or a female amateur

Yeah and that's exactly what we're all saying? What kind of bubble are you living in? Tyson wasn't entertained, I wasn't entertained, most of the people who watched the fight weren't entertained. Nobody with a bit of sense here questioned Floyd's ability, he's world class.

He's just boring as fook and I'd take an MMA fight over a Mayweather fight any day of the week. You have to realise a lot of people ONLY watch Mayweather when it comes to boxing. That is the standard by which they view the sport. A high, but unentertaining, defensive standard. Why is that so hard for you to accept? Are you Floyd's daddy?

He is the pinnacle of the sport. His ring craft is to be admired

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't understand this mentality.

The point of a boxing match is to WIN. There are rules, there are judges, they have a system in place. This is like saying, 'Yeah - that guy won the Chess match, but he used his rooks too much. EVERYONE knows using the rooks are easy and no way could he have won if he would have played a bishop heavy game'.

If running away/dancing for a solid three minutes is a valid strategy then both boxers had access to utilize it.

Advertisement