Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Superthread] Mayweather vs Pacman **NO STREAMING REQUESTS**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

To hit and not get hit

Some want them to stand toe to toe and trade- where's the skill in that???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

efb wrote: »
    To hit and not get hit

Come on man, that's bullshit and you know it. The greatest skill in this sport is in exchanges in the pocket. Surely you know the difference between mindless slugging and great pocket fighting. You've seen James Toney and Roberto Duran fight haven't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

To hit and not get hit

Some people want every fight to be Ward vs Gatti where they stand in the middle of the ring, batter each other for 12 rounds and have a game of "who has the strongest chin" and end up with short careers and permanent brain damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He is the pinnacle of the sport. His ring rcaft is to be admired

You're like a broken record. In what part of my post did I say he was anything but the pinnacle of the sport? I AGREE WITH THAT, I've said it plenty in this thread. Being the best doesn't mean entertainment though. Just look at the top centre halves in football. They don't fly into tackles and rile up the crowd. They do the hard work and neutralise the opponent. Floyd is just that. He's a defender. He stops you fighting. He is the best in the business, he's not going to make the typical casual fan a permanent one though, because casual fans like a bit of a slugfest.

I'm off to bed anyways, regardless of your opinions, I always enjoy a debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

In case anyone missed the fight..... :D

Frightening and hilarious at the same time!

• Advertisement

Henno30 wrote: »
    Come on man, that's bullshit and you know it. The greatest skill in this sport is in exchanges in the pocket. Surely you know the difference between mindless slugging and great pocket fighting. You've seen James Toney and Roberto Duran fight haven't you?

Not a Toney fan. Duran was very Durablre

I don't think Mayweather will look like most retired boxers when he's 60

I think we can all agree the worst performance of the night was Jamie Foxx's

Just as an aside, if this fight was "boring" (it wasn't) it's because Manny made it boring. He completely stood off. Floyd didn't "run away", Manny just didn't try to come on to him and as a result Floyd was able to keep him away with his massive reach advantage.

Truth is, the only way this fight was every going to be "exciting" in the way you wanted was if Manny had of come at Floyd the way he is known for doing, but the sad reality is that if that happened, it would be an even more one side decision of points or Manny would have ran out of gas by the 9th and ended up being knocked down too many times to carry on.

Floyd is a counter puncher who didn't once have to counter punch tonight, he dominated the ring, used his jab and straight right and made Manny look scared.

Mayweather threw more punches, how often can we say that?
    Manny only landed 18 jabs (9%), Mayweather landed 67.

Mayweather landed 81 of his 168 power punches (48%)
    Manny landed only 63 of his 246 (27%).

So over all we can see, Manny didn't use his jab, threw too many wild punches at nothing and allowed himself to get hit far too often.

Hate the man, but Mayweather won that fair and square with his tried and tested (annoying) strategy. He wasn't challenged and picked his selected punches well. Dodged constantly as expected.

Just as an aside, if this fight was "boring" (it wasn't)

Maybe it was interesting watching Mayweather pick him off but it wasn't exciting.Pac couldn't get close for the kill and Mayweather never went for the kill although yes he went for the win.

Excitement surely is either guy landing bombs and pressing home the advantage.I never thought either guy was in trouble. Thats just my observation/opinion so don't blow me out of it for being an armchair boxing viewer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Uncle Rodger is the man to sum up this thread...

All jokes aside though most people complaining on my twitter/facebook feed are absolutely casuals...don't watch a single fight a year I'd say...People who had money on Pacman and are now half drunk and pI**ed off they couldn't understand what they were watching tonight.

Mayweather definitely landed more anyway!

CEDy1JaVEAEf6GB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Manny press conference just now said he had a shoulder injury that's why he lost. He should retire I've no respect for him now first he won the fight now he lost because of injury. Not the man I thought he was.

:pac:

CEEBLIqUMAEiDyN.jpg

Manny press conference just now said he had a shoulder injury that's why he lost. He should retire I've no respect for him now first he won the fight now he lost because of injury. Not the man I thought he was.

Trying to get rematch and another gigantic payday...don't think even with that big cheque for tonight his finances are healthy.

The shoulder injury... wasn't at my best
    ...it will be different next time blah blah...

Ah that's a bit harsh, coming out of a fight, still full of adrenalin, feeling like "I f*cked this up" and maybe being a bit annoyed with himself and the way it went it's understandable he was able to fool himself into thinking he actually won, because nobody wants to lose.

As for the presser, maybe he does have a shoulder injury, maybe it developed during the fight, who are we to know?

Still though, wouldn't go amiss to congratulate the winner and admit you were out boxed on the night.

rebelomar wrote: »
    don't think even with that big cheque for tonight his finances are healthy.

What makes you say that?

Just rumours...apparently draws down big advances from Top Rank in between fights so he's constantly paying them back outta his purse.

Had a few tax issues to as far as I'm aware.

Again I'm not saying it's absolutely true but just whispers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Back under your bridges guys.

The scorecards validate me

26,000s post and still looking for validation off the internet, not going to happen comic book guy.

I'll bet efb is an short for everyones favorite boy which is what your mommy called your older brother a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Mayweather punched more, landed more, connected more.

Can't be any doubt who won.

ayahhRD.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mayweather won, I said after the final bell that 115-113 is the best Manny can hope for. So 116-112 is about right from two if the judges.

But 118-110 was a ridiculous score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will the highlights be shown on terrestrial TV anytime soon???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I found it very weird but in fairness very impressive that Floyd plans on vacating all his belts so that other can have a chance...he also said his last fight in September will not be a title fight. The last part is odd because it definitely would be an incentive for other to fight him, although the money and the chance to win the 0 would be as important of course. If he actually does vacate, then fair play to him, it'll be a good thing for Boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

RoryMac wrote: »
    Manny was nowhere near winning that fight, he won 4 rounds and that was generous

I have to comment on Manny's thinking he won the fight. We need to remember it's raw and immediate interview. He was in the ring fighting, not outside watching, and he was moving and punching and for the most part, pressing the action. Add this to the fact that he wasn't hit all that hard, and there were many instances where he was ducking and blocking shots from Floyd. I can well understand him maybe believing that he was doing every bit as good as Floyd.

Manny was thinking similarly to Guerrero and Maidana. Floyd's a runner. Floyd at WW should have had the balls and "real genius" to push Manny back and hustle him and stay in the pocket and beat him up. That's real brilliance and genius. Not running and ducking and throwing casual pot shots with little substance for 12 rds. Floyd has shown many genius instances and brilliant performances. No way was last night one of them. The Sky team were a joke. Embarrassing the fawning and adulation they heaped on Floyd for anything he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

fryup wrote: »
    will the highlights be shown on terrestrial TV anytime soon???

No. There was none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

5 years too late.

Floyd timed the fight perfectly. He knew the only way he'd lose was back when Pacquiao could throw 800 punches a fight.

All that being said, it was a Floyd masterclass in doing what needs to be done and no more. He's had far more difficult nights, which is sad to say.

But it was boring IMO. I mean, I admire the way a fisherman perfects his craft for example. It doesn't mean it entertains me when he does it.

The idea, as I've seen spouted by a few around the place this morning, that people are stupid or ignorant if they didn't enjoy that...well, it's the height of hipster nonsense.

SlickRic wrote: »
    The idea, as I've seen spouted by a few around the place this morning, that people are stupid or ignorant if they didn't enjoy that...we'll, it's the height of hipster nonsense.

Agree fully. I am watching boxing years and saw nothing of real pleasure or enjoyment last night. I predicted a dull fight and wasn't let down. All this talk of masterclass and genius is bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

5 years too late.

Floyd timed the fight perfectly. He knew the only way he'd lose was back when Pacquiao could throw 800 punches a fight.

All that being said, it was a Floyd masterclass in doing what needs to be done and no more. He's had far more difficult nights, which is sad to say.

But it was boring IMO. I mean, I admire the way a fisherman perfects his craft for example. It doesn't mean it entertains me when he does it.

The idea, as I've seen spouted by a few around the place this morning, that people are stupid or ignorant if they didn't enjoy that...we'll, it's the height of hipster nonsense.

Hit the nail firmly on the head there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Anywhere I can match this fight now for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

What a let down. Terrible fight but it was never going to live up to the hype anyway i suppose. I would be kicking myself now if i actually paid the 20 euro or whatever it was to watch it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'd say Carl Froch had a little accident in his pants when Floyd was named winner.
    After the fight see the way Adam Smith looked at the camera when Carl said "I might not be the most skillful"
    Smith looked like he was thinking " No Shît Sherlock" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Just as an aside, if this fight was "boring" (it wasn't) it's because Manny made it boring. He completely stood off. Floyd didn't "run away", Manny just didn't try to come on to him and as a result Floyd was able to keep him away with his massive reach advantage.

Truth is, the only way this fight was every going to be "exciting" in the way you wanted was if Manny had of come at Floyd the way he is known for doing, but the sad reality is that if that happened, it would be an even more one side decision of points or Manny would have ran out of gas by the 9th and ended up being knocked down too many times to carry on.

Floyd is a counter puncher who didn't once have to counter punch tonight, he dominated the ring, used his jab and straight right and made Manny look scared.

Mayweather threw more punches, how often can we say that?
    Manny only landed 18 jabs (9%), Mayweather landed 67.

Mayweather landed 81 of his 168 power punches (48%)
    Manny landed only 63 of his 246 (27%).

So over all we can see, Manny didn't use his jab, threw too many wild punches at nothing and allowed himself to get hit far too often.

Unfortunately I've got to agree with that. Floyd stood off at distance and picked him off with the straight right. Covered up, slipped, and moved away when Pac very rarely closed the distance. Exactly what he was always going to do. Play to his strengths. What was he going to do, chase down Manny Pacquaoi? Essentially take all the risk when the fight was being offered up on a plate for him? Why? Pac didn't want to risk getting stopped, so didn't press it enough. Didn't risk enough. Kept waiting for God to deliver the fight to him. People can say all day that mayweather made it a boring fight. There were two of them making that happen. If anything Manny bares the most responsibility of the two for how things went last night.

Still one of my favourite fighters and I'll remember him for his great performances. But he bottled it.

walshb wrote: »
    I have to comment on Manny's thinking he won the fight. We need to remember it's raw and immediate interview. He was in the ring fighting, not outside watching, and he was moving and punching and for the most part, pressing the action. Add this to the fact that he wasn't hit all that hard, and there were many instances where he was ducking and blocking shots from Floyd. I can well understand him maybe believing that he was doing every bit as good as Floyd.

Manny was thinking similarly to Guerrero and Maidana. Floyd's a runner. Floyd at WW should have had the balls and "real genius" to push Manny back and hustle him and stay in the pocket and beat him up. That's real brilliance and genius. Not running and ducking and throwing casual pot shots with little substance for 12 rds. Floyd has shown many genius instances and brilliant performances. No way was last night one of them. The Sky team were a joke. Embarrassing the fawning and adulation they heaped on Floyd for anything he did.

HBO and Showtime must be embarrassment too suppose anyone that says Mayweather was good is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

While I do understand that because of his disappointment at his performance in the fight he could try to claim he was in the mix, I can't agree the Manny may have had reason to think he was actually winning the fight, he had to be aware that the number of punches he was throwing was way down on what he needed and that most of the punches he did get off were hitting Mayweather's guard. And if he wasn't Roach should have been telling him.

Mayweather's game plan was always going to be as we saw last night and it was up to Manny to find a way to close the angle, get in range and get shots off. Whatever about shots landed but the fact that Mayweather threw more punches than Manny last night is a good indicator of how poor Manny's plan was working.

I do agree that Mayweather could have & should have at times imposed himself on Manny more, in the later rounds especially I think a more aggressive Mayweather could have taken the fight to Manny, given the fans a better show and stopped Manny.

It sounded like Floyd Snr was telling him that between rounds but Jnr played safe as he usually does.

I suppose my point is that I think Manny deserves as much if not more blame for the lack of entertainment a lot felt the fight lacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Mayweather Master Class & job done with a lot of ease!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Stayed up and watched the fight that went exactly how I expected.

I was dissapointed with the outcome and how pacman couldn't catch mayweather. I think mayweather is a superb athlete and a great tactician. But his style isn't easy on the eye. It's just a bit sad for boxing that the best boxer of this generation is best at grappling, running and dodging opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Probably the most underwhelming fight I've seen in ages. Floyd's bigger size and reach definitely made all the difference. You could see it straight off the bat with those counter punches and in fairness Manny landed a good few solid counters with his left too. But he didn't press hard enough and allowed Floyd to duck and dance around the perimeter of the ring. I'll give Mayweather credit where it's due on the scorecards, but he didn't pull off anything "magical" or "masterful" IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

How was that a masterclass? Don't get me wrong Floyd won but i don't consider holding to be a master tactic, I also had it closer then 118-110, You don't win rounds just running and jabbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Drumpot wrote: »
    Stayed up and watched the fight that went exactly how I expected.

I was dissapointed with the outcome and how pacman couldn't catch mayweather. I think mayweather is a superb athlete and a great tactician. But his style isn't easy on the eye. It's just a bit sad for boxing that the best boxer of this generation is best at grappling, running and dodging opponents.

You were disappointed even though the fight went exactly the way you expected?

The minute the fight was announced anyone that knew what they were talking about knew the fight would be more or less like it turned out.
    Most people that thought pac would win were I felt getting carried away because he is so popular.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I understand what you're saying, but real genius is not putting on a show to entertain the crowd. Real genius is winning every time. Mayweather is the greatest defensive boxer the game has ever seen and we saw an absolute master class of defensive boxing last night.

As for the sky commentators fawning over Mayweather, they were right.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

You don't win rounds just running and jabbing.

You do if you land your punches and your opponent relentlessly misses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Boring.

Brian? wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying, but real genius is not putting on a show to entertain the crowd. Real genius is winning every time. Mayweather is the greatest defensive boxer the game has ever seen and we saw an absolute master class of defensive boxing last night.

As for the sky commentators fawning over Mayweather, they were right.

That's my whole point. It's ridiculous this adulation for defense defense defense. FFS, many could be great if they were OTT defensive and cautious. I want to see offense as well, and Money, as of late has been underwhelming in that area.

People fawning and salivating over Mayeather ducking a shot or jumping out of the way of a shot is ridiculous. In the pocket defense with counter offenses is something I could get behind alright, but Money hasn't been doing that for years. Being at least one weight naturally bigger than your foe and stinking the joint out with these offensive efforts doesn't for it for me.

Floyd barely threw one single combination last night. It was all pissy jabs and swipes and lead rights. Many didn't even land. BUT, the fact he was throwing them for some was enough for them to wet their pants!

HBO and Showtime must be embarrassment too suppose anyone that says Mayweather was good is a joke

No issue with anyone saying tha he is good. He is. But the OTT adulation for last night's performance is way off the mark. He didn't do anything on offense to deserve the hyped praise.

You do if you land your punches and your opponent relentlessly misses.

Manny landed a fair deal of shots. Arms and shoulders count. I am counting them if Mayweather fan boys are counting shots that hit Manny's gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Manny facilitated Floyd though. He allowed him to utilize his size, reach and counter right hand for the whole fight. Manny was never going to win with defensive caution and Floyd took advantage of that.

No issue with anyone saying tha he is good. He is. But the OTT adulation for last night's performance is way off the mark. He didn't do anything on offense to deserve the hyped praise.

But it's anyone he faces now he makes them look ordinary and for that he should be given credit and manny isn't ordinary. I'd love to see him go really take it his foe in second half of the fight when he's comfortable he threatens to but then holds back and I said before maybe it's the trouble he's had with his hands last 8/9 years. All the crap on here he was running dodging over exaggerated noting about the quality right hands he landed with ease last night and I believe he hurt manny with them hence manny never let go he was afraid of them punches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Manny facilitated Floyd though. He allowed him to utilize his size, reach and counter right hand for the whole fight. Manny was never going to win with defensive caution and Floyd took advantage of that.

Agreed, Manny had no plan for getting into range to get shots off. He didn't try to pin Mayweather down.

If one aspect of the fight deserves criticism it was the lack of a plan from Manny & Roach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

True, Floyd never allowed himself to get trapped on the ropes, held the centre of the ring when possible. When he won the first 3 rounds it was all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

The state of boxing at the moment. No surprise that the serial ducker wins a fight he should. Shame because it would have been some fight a few years back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement